New character, War, Guard or Rev?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Tea.2740

Tea.2740

I was planning to use my last lv 80 boost on one of these classes but I’m a bit iffy which. I trialed the classes and rev seems more interesting but I also heard the state they are in + the future elite specs are not optimized well for them. Can someone compare with some pro’s and cons? I play mostly solo PvE with occasional WvW things and in the future I’d like to do more team oriented things like Raids. I don’t do much PvP unless I want some gear exclusive to it.

(edited by Tea.2740)

Posted by: Eros.6801

Eros.6801

None of us know how the meta will change until atleast half or a month after PoF released so im rather not put any cmt on the pros and cons right now.

1. If you only do solo PvE and a bit of WvW then pick Rev, Regenade has some very potential kiting that quite useful when alone due to high atk speed and able to cast while moving.

2. If you do PvE but planning on doing alot of WvW and Raid/Frac then pick Guard.

The bad thing is both Firebrand and Regenade are lack of movement skill so mount are essential, although we can’t use mount in WvW….just yet.

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

Warrior
Pro: Simple and straight forward, a class that suits new and old players alike, a great class to learn the game with, and has great build diversity and is pretty strong.
Con: Due to simple rotations, it can at times, feel, “Boring” to some, not me, but some.

Guard
Pro: A mix of support and damage, has good heals and reliable DPS, can fill multiple roles, and blue fire animation on most skills is pretty eye-catching.
Con: In comparison to the other two classes you listed, they don’t produce the same DPS, so you may see yourself being pigeon-holed into one role (Support) and finding it hard to get into PuG groups for high-tier fractals and raids.

Rev
Pro: Animations and attacks are very flashy and nice to look at. Does great DPS both in Condi and Power setups, channeling different legends and listening to the dialogue is interesting.
Con: Struggles with dealing with being effected by condition damage, is very, “Glassy” as far as heavy-armor classes go, and out of the three, takes the highest level of skill/ability to get the best out of.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

Posted by: Ojimaru.8970

Ojimaru.8970

First of all, it’s impossible to tell what will be the new meta after the release of PoF at this point in time. Let’s just get that out of the way.

With that in mind, here are my opinions on the three professions (and Elite Specializations).

I’ll start with Revenant. The biggest disappointment with Revenants right now is the state of its energy system, especially when four of the five weapon skills consume the same resource needed for your heals, utility skills, and elite, and there are no other methods of generating energy besides waiting. The new elite, Renegade, not only does nothing to alleviate this problem, but make it worse by adding three more resource-heavy skills.

Baseline Warriors aren’t a thing anymore, as far as I can tell. Berserkers on the other hand are the de facto Might-bots. Their tremendous Condition Damage potential does pigeonhole them into a single damage type, but that’s fine as the Spellbreaker will likely fulfill the Power role.

Guardians are still great sources of support buffs, and the recent changes have made them and Dragonhunters amazing Power-based DPS professions. I suppose if you want to dig for a con, it would be their weaker crowd control (and thus Defiance Bar damage) potential. Firebrands look to be the Condition Damage counterpart with access to even more boons.

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

I prefer the Revenant the most when running solo. It’s nimble, versatile, and powerful with solid options for damage and support. Rev also works quite well on teams due to its support ability. Renegade is just icing on the cake.

Guardian has better overall protective buffs like Aegis (the big one), Protection, and Regen. It also has solid Burn damage, a minor in healing, and a Power setup that is best described as “Durable, but not massive DPS”.

Warrior is a straight damage class with a double minor in survival and support. Lots of weapons to choose from, and you’ll go GS every time because it’s basically the best weapon for burst DPS and mobility. It has a massive Health pool and some impressive support when build for it, but mostly they’re build to Greatsword at things with Might stacks until the whole map is dead and then nuking forums with rage whenever they get knocked into downed state.

Posted by: Lanhelin.3480

Lanhelin.3480

Regarding leveling both Revenant and Warrior seem to be heavily dependent on level-appropriate gear starting at about level 50+ At least this was my experience so far. So prepare to fully equip them when needed. The Guardian is much more forgiving because of his various self-healings and possibilities to avoid damage entirely and also regarding the chosen skilltrees during the leveling process. If I were you I’d use the boost on the Warrior, because Rev imo is easier to level up compaired to War but not as easy as Guardian.