New player-Different Servers

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Morticiia.9204

Morticiia.9204

Hey there! :]

After checking out this game and having long discussions about GW2 with friends and family. I decided to give it a try and see if Guild Wars 2 was something for me, I actually play World of Warcraft which is about similar to this game but i noticed there is a lot of things that WoW doesn’t have in GW2 which is pretty amazing!

I must say it’s a really interesting, fascinating and fun game, at the same time as a new player it can be a lot of information to take in at once but of course you get better by leveling,reading, showing interest..But also mostly people who have experience so that’s why I thought, I would ask you guys out there

The one question I was wondering about is what server would you recommend for a new player and which one of them do you like the best and why? I am trying to figure out which server to join, will you be kind to help me out?:)

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Join my Server!
Server name: ((Tarnish Coast))

It’s very active server and it’s also an RP server too!

We can also play the game together too!
My Skype Username: DreamyAbaddon

See you in game!

Also Since you are new to the game, I highly recommend you check these 2 guides out to get started strong:

GW2 Combat System 101 (Guide):
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/GW2-Combat-system-101-Guide/first

GW2 Ultimate Newb Guide:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/GW2-Ultimate-Newb-Guide/first#post3487838

Posted by: IonusX.7905

IonusX.7905

sigh another Tarnish Coast Fan Boy up this thread look it does not matter what server you play on thank to guesting you can play on any at any given time with cost of IRL or in game money so if u feel like this server lacks in some areas say dungeon doors that have been locked you can just guest over to a server that has that dungeon door unlocked and play the experience the only down side to guesting is your not allowed to WvW for that server u guest too but this allows players to cross communicate while in game so all i can says pick a server if u like hey that’s great if u don’t well guest over or pay to transfer what i would suggest is to find about guilds on particular servers that will fit you since having people to talk to make the game 100X better as well as try to find about server teampeaks and such which will also help advance game play you would be surprised what you can find also one more thing GO HOME TC EVERY SERVER IS AN RP SERVER STOP TRYING TO SHOVE THAT INTO OTHER PEOPLES FACES AND THINK YOUR SPECIAL BECAUSE YOUR NOT THANK YOU AND HAVE A GREAT DAY

{TNT} Tactical Night Techs “We are the last line of defense”Commander Fire Warrior Scout

Morticiia.9204

Hey LonusX

Thank you, great information you got there! I will follow that advice of yours.There is a lot I have to agree, Like you said; maybe it is wiser to find a guild that fits me, which is active, helpful and respectful. I guess it defiantly makes it easier to see where you end up in the servers since you don’t focus a lot on that where you should and all that..

I never mentioned teamspeak, but Yeah I have some friends, using TS and i don’t mind they do but i wouldn’t say it would be my thing. It’s not a must that i need to have, unless there is good reason for it like; Raids,dungeons and so on.

thank you for reading!

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

All servers have good and bad people, good and bad guilds. You just need a bit of patience to find what you are looking for.

The only advice I can give you is to join a T1 server since there you have all your options open. After playing for a while and seeing what you like and what you want to do, you can take a more informed decision.

Morticiia.9204

Hey SkyFallInThunder

Yeah must agree with that, i guess some might get a little impatience like me. To have a good server and guild, cause you are excited about the game if that doesn’t sound weird ha-ha.

Thank you for the advice, I’ll make sure to check the server out
Good to see that there are helpful people out there!

(edited by Morticiia.9204)

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Every server has great guilds and you should be able to eventually find a good match for you.

As far as a server choice, do you intend to play WvW? This is a big question.

If yes, do you want to play on a higher tier server or lower tier server? Higher tier servers generally have more players on the battlefield but this comes with a price of longer queues to enter the maps. Lower tier servers still have great fights, but the zergs usually aren’t as big and the queues are shorter to non-existant on many servers. The choice really depends on which would suit you better.

As far as PvE, you can guest to 2 other servers each 24 hours. So you are not as locked in to your home server as you are with WvW.

Again, with PvE some of the higher populated servers can get a lot of players on maps and this will create overflows. This often happens when trying to take down a world boss or a temple. This can happen with the lower population servers as well, but seems to be less of an issue.

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

blah blah blah

sigh, seems like you don’t understand what RP is. Looks like I have to post this again…

As a resident of the unofficial RP server and a strong advocate of RP and all gameplay styles, I feel obliged to provide this clarification:

Not speedrunning dungeons does NOT make you a roleplayer. A roleplayer is someone who “acts without a script”- who pretends to be their character and tells a story by acting as their character, as sort of a collaborative creative writing exercise. RP guilds are devoted to this practice (with storylines and sometimes elaborate plots), and not necessarily to dungeons, etc.

If you try to optimize everything, you are a min/maxer. If you do not care about optimizing everything, you are a non-min/maxer and simply a normal (or casual, depending on who you ask) PvEer. Thus, a player who does dungeons without caring about optimal setups (and there are a lot of people who don’t care about super deeps) would be considered the normal or casual PvEer, and a player who always strives to optimize everything would be a min/maxer. These definitions are blurry and depend most on the perspective of the person you ask, though.

Overall, the takeaway message is: RPer does not equal non-min/maxer PvEer.

While yes, you technically can RP on whatever server, TC is the only NA server where all the RPers congregate- it was voted on by RPers before launch that it would be the unofficial RP server. It’s the only server where you’ll run into people RPing in the cities and the wilderness, where you’ll see RP being discussed, where a bunch of RP events will be held, where the bulk of RP guilds will be recruiting, and where non-RP guilds will have “RP-friendly” as one of their selling points.

As for the OP: TC is definitely a good starting server. It’s very well-populated and quite friendly. WvW-wise, it’s tier 2, one tier below tier 1- however, we still have a lot of good fights, skilled commanders, and dedicated WvW guilds, and the benefit of being T2 versus T1 is that the wait times for WvW aren’t nearly as long. The great majority of TC commanders and players are also friendly to newbies and glad to have them along.

Feel free to drop by http://forthetoast.com/ and say hello or ask any questions you may have. Overall, do feel free to guest around (you can also transfer for free once a week by deleting all characters) and try out any server that catches your interest. Welcome to GW2!

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread