Noob on a Mac

Noob on a Mac

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: taintedfire.3860

taintedfire.3860

First, I apologize in advance, because this is going to be a little lengthy…But I could really use some advice.

Ok so I’ve picked the game up and down over the years…and spent waaay too much hard-earned money on skins, gliders, etc. Just inexcusable..

Anywho, I recently have become very inspired by two legendary weapons in particular. Since seeing footage of them, I have pushed really hard to get map completion and the like…However, I’ve only ever played PvE up to this point. I’ve never done PvP and every time I’ve ventured into a dungeon it’s been…bad.

It has since come to my attention that playing the game with the initial key bindings is…inefficient(In my defense, this is my first MMO and I 99% of the time play console games). I also play on a Mac (as the title suggests…until now I’ve had to shift+F1 to do all of my shatters…it’s been rough). Thus, now I yearn to play…not so badly! ^^;

I’ve now seen things online such as gaming keyboards and mouses. My question is, if anyone out there plays on a mac osx something-or-other like me, is it worth it to buy these things? Is it simply worth it to have efficient key binds? I seriously feel like I’m learning the game all over again… any advice would be greatly appreciated (and yes, I have several max-level characters).

Noob on a Mac

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

You can go into your setting to replace the FN F1-0 keys to just pressing the F keys. It’s under Keyboard in the System Settings. The little check mark box for ‘Use F1, F2, ect. keys as standard function keys’…might help out with those shatters. Honestly, I play on a MacBook pro and have for the last 3.5 years and haven’t had any problems with it.

Noob on a Mac

taintedfire.3860

Omg thanks Rabidsmiles! I’m going to go try that right now. I recently just tried rebinding keys for the first time (I’ve learned a lot of bad habits). I literally just moved everything down a row (1 wkittenter etc.)…it was awkward but…kinda worked…but honestly, if I can get there without pressing shift…than it’s worth a shot. ^^

Noob on a Mac

taintedfire.3860

1 wkittenter…i don’t know why the post is coming out as that…

Noob on a Mac

taintedfire.3860

wow ok…I moved everything down a row so that " one was my first shatter, two was my second shatter etc.) I have no idea what this 1 wkittenter thing is…but yeah…anywho…gonna go and try that now. >>

Noob on a Mac

taintedfire.3860

To rabidsmiles, thanks again so very much! I just tried your advice and it feels like a dream. ^^
My next set of ponderings for anyone out there willing to help a drowning noob, I’ve seen youtube videos suggesting to unbind ones’ turn keys…would I then be required to buy a different mouse if I decided to do that (as my mouse has only just…one clicker)? And further, is it really more efficient to unbind ones’ turn keys?

Noob on a Mac

taintedfire.3860

Mmkay, so after having come across this same advice in several youtube videos now, it seem almost a given that a gaming mouse would be ideal for guild wars 2…
The reason why I reach this conclusion is because one such youtube uploader described himself as having a warrior with which he had the following keys bound to his mouse: weapon swap, dodge, berserk mode, burst skill, and heal.
This kind of setup does sound remarkably useful (if not a little overwhelming at first). So my question for fellow Mac users would be (and I guess PC users as well, if there is like, some sort of cross-combatiability…I’m new to Macs), what kind of gaming mouse do you have? What are your bindings like? …and also, how much did you pay? (I’m low on gold in real life too…)

Noob on a Mac

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

Honestly, I don’t use a mouse, I play on a laptop and I’ve been using my trackpad to play since day 1. I have the trackpad option from settings set up so when I swipe with 3 fingers, I turn like the action camera. I tried a mouse recently and I cannot for the life of me play this game with one…though that’s mostly because of an old wrist injury that makes holding a mouse painful. All that said, a gaming mouse with a bunch of buttons can’t hurt.

Noob on a Mac

taintedfire.3860

Good to know. Like, I see the finesse that some of these players play with and just looking at just how often I die…even after literal years of owning the game..
It just kinda makes one wanna do better…and legendary weapons are good motivator as well. ^^;

Noob on a Mac

taintedfire.3860

Hey guys! I have another question for you…First off, I wanna say thanks for all the great tips-I really appreciate it.
I do have another noobish question for you guys. The other other day I logged into my account and the camera was zoomed out slightly from my character. It wasn’t zoomed out too much- just enough to give myself a decent few paces of perspective below my character. I found that playing in this view is much easier (as well as similar to virtually every youtube guild wars 2 tutorial I’ve seen so far) than how I normally play- with the camera centered right at my characters’ backs.
I was thus disappointed when I logged in again to find that the camera had once again centered itself at the original position and I have since been unable to zoom at to that comfortable distance. Would anyone know how to do this? (I recently bought an mmorpg mouse and it has changed everything in a very good way. Thanks again for your previous recommendations)
Appreciate any further assistance. ^^;

Noob on a Mac

taintedfire.3860

Nevermind…totally got it.