OMG If you only knew this - tips for new players

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Remember that you can combo with yourself!

You’ll go blind!!!

:p

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Posted by: Corvax.1675

Corvax.1675

I found this out today: if you hold the right mouse button (as for turning), you can actually move by holding the left button as well.

Posted by: kagenin.5231

kagenin.5231

12. Don’t buy violet weapons from vendor in the Mists, it has no dps (its probably for WvWvW). Buy exotic orange weapons.

They have a use, just not in an actual sPvP match or open WvW gameplay.

If you look carefully at these weapons, they have a steady damage rating – something like 125-125. These are the “Steady” weapons, and their use is exclusively for build theorycrafting and comparing relative DPS of a particular sPvP build against the npc dummies in the sPvP lobby area. You’ll see how much your traits and itemization will affect a particular weapon skill’s damage output without the natural fluctuation built into the game.

Quite ingenious, actually – it should lead to a much better-informed PvP crowd and better play-balance because of these tools the developers were so kind to leave for us players.

Maybe re-write this one as “The Purple ‘Steady’ sPvP weapons are for theorizing, not for use in a match or WvW. Use them against the dummies in the lobby area to see how your traits and itemization affect skill damage output.”

Posted by: Feminist Terrorist.1407

Feminist Terrorist.1407

When someone is reviving you from a downed state, pressing 4 will make it go faster.

Posted by: Korix.9835

Korix.9835

Awesome list!

Posted by: polarity.8906

polarity.8906

When you’re downed, try to select a target with low health (you can use tab targetting), as it’ll give you a better chance of rallying before you die.

Be prepared to dodge away as soon as you’re up, and if possible use an ability to slow/immobilise/push away the mobs, You want to avoid incoming damage at all costs until your heal is off cooldown.

If you do die, don’t immediately teleport to a waypoint, because other players can still ressurect you, even when dead. If the area’s busy it might be quicker to wait for someone to come along than to walk back from the waypoint (and it’s cheaper).

It’s also infuriating to rush to someone else’s help, only to have them vanish before you successfully kill all the mobs.

(edited by polarity.8906)

Posted by: lonewolf.2601

lonewolf.2601

Great post, thank you!

[SPGR] Lonewolfgr – Norn Thief – Underworld
Spartians guild - Greeks join us!

Posted by: NightOwl.1860

NightOwl.1860

Great tips … It’s a big help

Posted by: TempestRime.1254

TempestRime.1254

21. Keybind your weapon swap (as a matter of fact, I suggest to keybind everything

Isn’t weapon swap already bound to the ` key by default? I don’t think I had to set that one manually.

My own tips:

- You can turn the default double tapping of movement keys to dodge off when you want to do a jumping puzzle. You can also bind dodge to a key if you want, which can make it feel more natural when you use it, since you won’t have to pick up the key you’re using to move.

- You can hit creatures with ranged abilities so long as you’re within range at the time your projectile would strike them. If you fire and move out of range, it will fail, while if you fire while running towards them you may be able to get into range in time to hit.

- Ctrl + clicking an enemy will call them out to your group, putting a targeting reticle over their head. If someone else calls a target, T will target that enemy so your team can focus down dangerous enemies first.

Posted by: szqec.5762

szqec.5762

The game sure doesn’t do a good job of teaching you how to play.

Posted by: VakarisJ.5619

VakarisJ.5619

About the note concerning changing crafting sklls: the cost you pay to swap isn’t dependent on recipes, but rather the crafting level. At most, it costs 40 silver to activate a level-400 crafting skill – 10 bronze per level.

Posted by: Efaicia.3672

Efaicia.3672

The game sure doesn’t do a good job of teaching you how to play.

There is a rather obvious little link on the patcher that is titled “Learn to Play GW2”

As far as holding your hand, no, it doesn’t do that, which I find refreshing.

Posted by: Encypher.7651

Encypher.7651

Great list. Going to show my buds once they get the game so they don’t ask me questions for everything that is not “normal”

Posted by: Teror.8940

Teror.8940

I found this out today: if you hold the right mouse button (as for turning), you can actually move by holding the left button as well.

Be careful with this in combat. If you left click anywhere while attacking, they you will have your target de-selected. Makes it not fun to try and focus another player or mob. I only realized this today, and am going to have to force myself to stop using both mouse buttons to move forward any longer.

I wish there was some kind of option to not let a left-mouse-click deselct your current target, unless you were clicking on another.

Emerald Fang:
www.emerald-fang.com // PvX/US/AUS/SoS

Posted by: Qtin.6940

Qtin.6940

13. Trebuchet on Battle of Kyhlo is op, it deals 9-11k aoe dmg and you can rush it from start and shoot before enemies take first base (windmill/mansion).
14. Cannon on beach map can be used, you just need to carry cannonballs from nearby ship. It deals 5k aoe dmg and you can shoot both beach and docks with it

Yey \o/ We so needed siege engine to ruin PvP, getting 2 shoted from 54357435743573 kilometers away

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

Related to #18:

You can leave at the end of PvP match by going to the PvP panel in your Hero menu. There will be a Leave the Mists button.

If you wait too long after the end of a match you will automatically be sent to a new match.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

Posted by: SephirothDude.3901

SephirothDude.3901

Feck sake,I did not know you got money from you mail after an event :S

Jayne.9251

Can we sticky this? Pretty please?

Jayne.9251

For pet users. You can target a mob using ranged weapon and be JUST out of a range and your pets will attack. This is particularly useful with mass mobs to ensure your pet gets the agro first, and not you.

Posted by: Sarronas.3958

Sarronas.3958

thanks for all of the tips… many of them were new to me.

One thing that may seem obvious in hindsight….
I kept getting a strange audio blip… seemed like an audio queue for someone sending me a message, or maybe new objectives….it was freaking me out.

Turns out each time the ‘dodge’ bar fills a slot… it makes an audible ‘blip’.

I hope I’m not the only one who didn’t figure this out right away.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

• The price in the lower right hand corner of an item’s tool tip is what a VENDOR will pay you for it. Not the suggested price at the Trading Post (yes I’ve seen this a lot on my server). Excessively low listings like these are losing the seller a lot of money and under cutting everyone else so far it isn’t worth them using the TP.

Tradepost is global, so it’s not just “your server”.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Ires.5480

Ires.5480

Split a stack – drag the stack to another slot while holding down CTRL, you will get a pop-up in which you can enter the number of items

As far as keybinding.. 6 to 0 is just a pain. This is how I bound them, it might help others.
a-d: strafe
q: weapons swap (since I use ` for push to talk)
e: for healing ability
shift 1 to 3: utility skills
shift e: elite skill
Ctrl: swim down

Jayne.9251

To create the recipe for satchels of armour from the mystic forge you’ll need:

From NPC vendor
crystals
bottles of wine

From map daily quota reward (or from trading post):
mystic coins

Then you put in typically a chest piece you’ve made and will get a satchel recipe that makes all six pieces of gear of that type in one combine, from blue, green, yellow and up.

Bear in mind that the Mystic Forge is a gamble, typically you’ll get something useful out of it, but sometimes you’ll get trash. So don’t use it with items you will be sorry to lose.

Also for mystic forge:

You can combine any weapons and armour as one of the four items you have to put in, and it’ll return a brand new item. Great for cleaning out a bulging bank. But you must use four of similar items: you cannot combine blue and green gear, and you must put in all jewelery, or all crafting components, but for some reason you can mix armour with weapons.

Putting in four dyes will get you a new random one.

(edited by Jayne.9251)

Jayne.9251

And YAY! Thank you for making this a sticky!

Jayne.9251

Want to know about more jumping puzzles?

Open your hero window, click on achievement tab on the left hand side, then click on explorer. Near the bottom is a list of all jumping/puzzles you’ve yet to complete and lists the ones you have done.

Jayne.9251

Wondering why your drops off mobs are suddenly diminishing after an hour of farming for items?

GW2 has an anti-farm code built in:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Anti-farm_code

Posted by: Chaos Butterfly.5137

Chaos Butterfly.5137

OMG! Tip number 6 wish I had known this sooner, nothing worse than having to turn down drops coz bag is full and your miles from anywhere. Must read all of these later when I’m not at work. Thanks so much for this, new to the game and MMOs so very handy.

Posted by: Chaos Butterfly.5137

Chaos Butterfly.5137

Oh can someone make a list of /action things you can do, I’ve seen people dancing etc and assume this is one of the ways, the communications box confuses me.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

you can type /emote, then type anything you want, and it will appear as <character name> <what you typed after /emote>

you can put a space and a * after an emote to sync it with others. there’s a 5 second delay. you and your friends can all dance at the same time by typing “/dance *”

you can direct your emotes at your current target by adding space @ after it. this only works for certain emotes. you can “point @” your target, and it will show the target’s name in the emote.

you can combine these, so you and your friends can all /point @ * and /laugh @ * the losing team, and you will all point and laugh at the same time.

other things I didn’t know, but feel stupid for not knowing:
you can right click on any piece of equipment or dye and preview it. this does not include the trading post, but from any vendor or any inventory slot.
you can hold Alt and drag to split a stack of something collected. the window defaults to the closest half of the original amount.

you can right click on someone’s name in your party or guild menu, and select send email to. you can then right click on items you want to send them and select send in email. it will put them all into the same email. you can do this in either order.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Jayne.9251

In the human starter area .. BEFORE you fight the mob of centaurs on the bridge and past that takes you to the main region .. there are tons of villagers huddling in peril over the invading centaurs. If you go up and talk to each of them and tell them to run to the inn, you’ll get 2 karma points per villager. This is bottomless, and can give you a nice boost toward getting karma gear/recipes/whatever later — so tell as many as you can to run to the inn and get your karma points.

I have looked around the other starter areas for Sylvari, Asura and Norn (haven’t tried Charr), but sadly could not find the equivalent in their starter areas.

NOTE: They have apparently removed this from game. Too bad, was a neat little “hidden” find.

(edited by Jayne.9251)

Posted by: Run Amok.9205

Run Amok.9205

Nice thread, thanks!

Posted by: greg.3792

greg.3792

Oh here is good one – skip AC as your first dungeon – the others are easier !

Posted by: spliffst.9025

spliffst.9025

hello greg, great post thank you!
i wanted to point out that there’s one particular thing i miss in this list:

the starting equipment headgear/shoulder is a UNIQUE skin nowhere to be found elsewhere in the game. i had to restart a lvl 26 necro just to get that awesome wraith masque skin. please include this in the list!

Posted by: Nyota.7062

Nyota.7062

The steady pvp weapons are not for wvwvw – they are for theorycrafting (no rng).

Dolyak Engineer/Thief – Kodash (EU)

Posted by: SpyderBite.6274

SpyderBite.6274

This is fantastic information. The original list and all the contributions since. I started a text file to copy and paste and consolidate the tips I’m going to try out today. Well done!

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.

Posted by: mompen.7952

mompen.7952

Nice list! Many good tips from other users as well.

OP: if you could take the tips from other players and put in it? So other users reading this could only read the first post, more structured etc.

Will def. rebind some keys!

Kenny Shayde/Ken Shadowpaw-Theef|Spiteful Sithis-Necro|Kennyneer-Engi|Mr Hex Appeal-Mesmer

Posted by: Taeuuin Noctuurii.4690

Taeuuin Noctuurii.4690

Awesome info! Thank you to all!

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

Preview Most Weapon/Armor Sets In The Game

Head over to the Heart of Mists and drop by one of your PVP lockers. They’re arranged like Collections Tabs that you’d find in your bank, but instead of holding crafting materials, they hold armor. All the armor available in the Heart, actually.

The best part? You can right click on any icon and click Preview to see what it looks like ahead of time. Most (if not all?) of the armor there is also available in PVE.

Have fun playing dress-up!

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

Posted by: SheckyS.6241

SheckyS.6241

Someone above mention “compact” in regard to bags, but didn’t go into specifics.

I noticed that when I loot items into my personal bags, they are stacked correctly (copper ore just adds onto my existing stack of copper ore).

But this is not true of the bank. If I have copper ore in the bank and I add another one, it doesn’t stack unless I explicitly drag it into the right spot.

I expect that #6 on this list makes it a moot point, but is there a ‘compact’ option somewhere that makes things stack correctly?

Jayne.9251

Shecky I’m curious … Are you storing your copper ore in a regular bank slot or in your collectibles tab? Take the ore and put it in your bags and right click “deposit collectible” … It will put it into a crafting storage area in your bank and not take up vault space. … That ore will be accessible at any corresponding crafting table or via your bank in the collection tab when you have bank window open.

I do know, however, for other things like money etc you can use your alt and mouse drag to split up any number of items or combine too (I think — it definately helps you split them, ctrl and drag does something too but can’t remember).

(edited by Jayne.9251)

Posted by: Kiwi.6874

Kiwi.6874

I realised this very early on when i started but a lot of my friends didn’t know this until i told them

If you have a build that uses 3 of the same weapons, for example a theif with dagger+dagger for the first weapon set, then dagger+pistol for the 2nd weapon set, you don’t actually need to have 3 daggers equiped if you equip in weapon set one, a dagger in MH and the pistol in OH then in weapon set two you equip the other dagger in OH and leave MH empty, you’ll save yourself gold and tokens so that you don’t have to buy 3 different weapons.

Posted by: SheckyS.6241

SheckyS.6241

Jayne, thanks for the follow-up.
Until I read this post yesterday and discovered #6, I was not aware of that button that moves everything into collections. That is totally awesome and freed up a huge amount of space in my vault.

But my question still stands regarding the vault not stacking items.

Posted by: PhoenixFire.2790

PhoenixFire.2790

About number 32. I tried the suggestion but just to clarify the XP and loot does not match your current actual level, it’s still scaled down. But yes it is good to hop around at the early levels if you rushed and didn’t do a lot of events and are behind on your story level. There are so many ways to level in this game.

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

#16… i had no idea there was money inside those messages? man, i hope there is no time limit on getting cash from them.

Jayne.9251

About number 32. I tried the suggestion but just to clarify the XP and loot does not match your current actual level, it’s still scaled down. But yes it is good to hop around at the early levels if you rushed and didn’t do a lot of events and are behind on your story level. There are so many ways to level in this game.

Hrm, I was level 40 something and went to a level 5 zone and still managed to get 40-something gear .. sure I’d get level 5 gear on occassion, but I was regularly getting gear matching my level.

Shecky, I’m not sure what else to offer as a suggestion other than what I wrote in the second para above … maybe someone else can help?

Posted by: SoulTrain.2157

SoulTrain.2157

i dunno if this has been mentioned, but i just recently tried it and found it really helpful which is making a easy to get to hotkey for “show all enemies” on the map. it helps alot in finding hard to see crafting nodes or when looking to see if any tameable animals are in the area. and of course it helps alot to see how many enemies may be ahead of you and what types they are.

Posted by: ClausLars.1724

ClausLars.1724

i dunno if this has been mentioned, but i just recently tried it and found it really helpful which is making a easy to get to hotkey for “show all enemies” on the map. it helps alot in finding hard to see crafting nodes or when looking to see if any tameable animals are in the area. and of course it helps alot to see how many enemies may be ahead of you and what types they are.

I didn’t even know that was an option. Do you just map it from the options menu?

“Sir! We’re surrounded!”

“Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!”

Posted by: Turial.1293

Turial.1293

you mean holding the CTRL/ALT buttons Soultrain? o_o

“Some of my best friends are heterosexual”

Posted by: Ox See Sox.3687

Ox See Sox.3687

Already knew most of it. But NICE list. With the proper edit it should be made Official.

Brains > Brawls
So Much Blur

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

When you’re downed, try to select a target with low health (you can use tab targetting), as it’ll give you a better chance of rallying before you die.

Be prepared to dodge away as soon as you’re up, and if possible use an ability to slow/immobilise/push away the mobs, You want to avoid incoming damage at all costs until your heal is off cooldown.

If you do die, don’t immediately teleport to a waypoint, because other players can still ressurect you, even when dead. If the area’s busy it might be quicker to wait for someone to come along than to walk back from the waypoint (and it’s cheaper).

It’s also infuriating to rush to someone else’s help, only to have them vanish before you successfully kill all the mobs.

- to add to this, when i fight a champ or “boss”, if i know i’m going to have a hard time or find out half way through, i’ll go hit some of the mobs nearby and bring them to low enough health for easier rallying

- when fighting in a group and you see someone near you downed, instead of blindly reviving them and risking yourself getting hurt, try TARGETING a mob with lower health (Ctrl + targer). let them know so if they get a hit on that target, and you kill it, they should rally as well

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall