Player returning after 3 years

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: TheWaddler.2306

TheWaddler.2306

Hello everyone!

As the topic states, I’ve been away for quite some time because of real life stuff. I just bought HoT earlier today and wanted to ask what the general consensus was regarding classes in the current meta.

I’m a bit short on free time, so I was mainly looking for one character class I can take out into the open world to do completion things, be able to farm for gold in repetitive but lucrative ways, and still have access to a build viable for raiding should I choose to do that content (later).

I know it may be asking for a lot, and I don’t mind having multiple builds/gear setups to accomplish all of these things, but I’d like to refrain from having multiple mains due to time constraints.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I would choose Ranger, but that’s just me.

Welcome return, and good luck.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I would choose Ranger, but that’s just me.

Welcome return, and good luck.

This.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

mesmer (chrono tank), elementalists 1-5 and 1-2 warriors are always wanted in raids aswell.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

I think most classes have a legitimate role in every game mode. However, they tend to get pigeon-holed into playing a certain way. For instance, I like ele. But if I’m going to raid it’s expected that I fill the damage role. However, in PvP/WvW I’m expected to be a support healer.

In solo play I tend to prefer a tanky might-stacking hybrid build that isn’t too slow but can take out pretty much any champion I come across without getting squished! I also like to use my favorite weapon set (d/d) regardless of what would strictly be “the best” for a particular encounter. Why not? Solo PvE is where I get to break free from doing what the group needs me to do!

So my advice? Play what you enjoy. You’ll have plenty of time to play what the group needs you to play regardless.

TheWaddler.2306

So my advice? Play what you enjoy. You’ll have plenty of time to play what the group needs you to play regardless.

This makes sense, but I’m trying to get an idea of what class plays like what while the game downloads. I’m also trying to gauge what others think.

Posted by: Alek Seven.2374

Alek Seven.2374

I have all of them, but I way prefer : Condi/power DD (dardevil thief), Power Reaper, DH, Chrono, Revenant and Scrapper. I Cant give details, im typing from my phone, will edit when possible.

TheWaddler.2306

I have all of them, but I way prefer : Condi/power DD (dardevil thief), Power Reaper, DH, Chrono, Revenant and Scrapper. I Cant give details, im typing from my phone, will edit when possible.

I’d like to know your thoughts on Dragon hunter and also Reaper. Although pros/cons on all your favorites would be super helpful, whenever you get the chance to edit.

Thanks!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can always try out each Profession, sans Elite Specialization, in PvE as long as you want with your L80 Boost.

You can try out the Elite Specializations in PvP, I believe.

Profession-choice usually is personal-preference, or should be, anyway. What fun is it to play something you don’t like, after all?

Good luck.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I would say Guardian, as a profession that can do everything well but is never top of the class so to speak. Plenty of condi removal, plenty of projectile reflect, Summons for pets, signets for pure passive.

I must say that condition damage it’s harder to pull off. And with raiding you’re the less popular choice, because of not being top of the class (druid heals better, ele daredevils and others do more damage, and condi is just not enough). It’s just the problem of being such a hybrid class.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Fancypants.9705

Fancypants.9705

I would go with Condi Ranger… maybe step into druid as well if your into healing. The rotation for cranger is easy as well.

Posted by: qbalrog.8017

qbalrog.8017

Lots of options on the classes but I think ele or ranger work well and are useful later.

Class aside, on the HoT zones, they were not really well designed but do grow on you eventually. Be prepared for a frustrating initial experience but one that is reasonable eventually. Don’t venture into HoT land without exotics, though, unless you have a good guild to run in a pack.

Posted by: Wintermute.5408

Wintermute.5408

I’d like to know your thoughts on Dragon hunter and also Reaper. Although pros/cons on all your favorites would be super helpful, whenever you get the chance to edit.

Thanks!

Reaper is extremely comfortable to play in Open World, due to very high survivability, good AOE and overall self-reliance. It also really shines in Fractals, both power and condi. For Raids, sadly, reaper only accepted as DPS in its condi variant. That’s not to say power isn’t viable – but perception there is skewed against it and against necros overall.

Bonus point is ability to solo most champion HPs in HoT areas.

Welcome to Rivendell, mister Anderson

Posted by: Yakez.7561

Yakez.7561

I has ranger with 450h of play time. Ranger is a bad choice for returning player. Why?

1. Power ranger/druid. Easy to gear up, easy to play with GS/Longbow. With soldier gear and druid spec you would die only in cases of personal stupidity. But your DPS is trash and one of the lowest in the game. Even in full zerk ascended gear. Your pet would sunk a big chunk of it, just by default. There is no real place for this build anywhere except learning open world events.

2. Condi ranger. Expensive for new player to gear up even with exotics. You would need viper gear because ranger has no condi duration traits. But you would get really great aoe dps in close range (traps). As well as 0 mobility and 0 sustain. Most of the time in solo pve you would bounce from downed state to rally. Really good choice for raids and fractals tho. But it is not a beginner build. Other classes can have same condi dps and have better mobility and sustain.

3. Healing druid. Rather expensive magi’s gear. Double staff is good to have. And rather non strait forward healing mech. Only for raids. Rather difficult to master. No point to play ranger just for this. Especially for beginners.

Personally I would go with thief or warrior. Both are useful even in power builds and could be build upon for raids and fractals, as well as in condi builds. Great sustain and DD can run with perma 33% speed boost to do map completion/gathering/chest farm.

(edited by Yakez.7561)