Returning player seeking elite spec feedback

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Bamfbear.5028

Bamfbear.5028

Hello all!

Recently been looking for an MMO to get into and been hearing GW2 has been in a great place so I bought HoT and am having a hard time choosing what to use my insta 80 on. I figured I’d ask in the forums how each spec is doing in the game. I’m not looking for the best. I want a class that’s fun to play but not something that’s severely underpowered or a class that hinders groups.

I’ve heard good things about the Dragonhunter, Chronomancer and Reaper but I can’t seem to find any posts in 2017 about their current state.

What about the other elite specs? Which ones have you guys been enjoying and why? I’ve liked ranged classes, melee, and support so I’m a pretty versatile player. Always enjoyed hybrid classes as I’ve never been one to enjoy only one role consistently. Anyways I look forward to what you guys have to say!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I would strongly suggest leveling one or more characters the natural way, before ever considering using the L80 Boost. Leveling naturally affords you all the tutorial tips, as well as leveling rewards.

There’s no rush to get to L80. The content isn’t going anywhere, and with dynamic level-adjustment every level map stays relevant.

It’s more important to find a Profession you have fun playing than whatever the build-flavor-of-the-month is. Of course, this applies to PvE more than PvP, which I don’t really dabble in.

The Wiki is a great resource for all things Guild Wars 2, and can be accessed via the link above, or in-game by typing /Wiki (topic of choice) in the chat panel.

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Since the elite is tied to your profession, unless you have played all professions and unlock each elite variation, and play them regularly enough to see how the various balance patches affected each of them, it’s tough to have a comprehensive answer.

What I’m saying is I’m expecting most answers will be highly subjective, possibly negative now due to the most recent balance patch (which came out Tuesday) so there may be a bit of “well X use to be great” and “profession Y which I don’t play is still OP” comments.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

As IC said, don’t instalevel your first character. You’ll miss out on a lot of the experience, and you’ll actually learn to play. Instalevelling and heading straight into HoT will lead to frustration and dissappointment, since the content is designed for experienced players.

If you like a wide array of playstyles, don’t worry about picking a class. Most classes can fill a number of roles, some just shine more at certain roles. If you find that you want something else later, that’s where the lvl 80 boost comes in.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Bamfbear.5028

I should have prefaced with this is not my first character as I leveled a Warrior to max level back at launch and leveled Ranger, mesmer, necro, and thief all to around 20-30 ish. I’m not new, don’t need the tutorials. I’m looking for any recommendations for a good elite spec that’s fun so I can jump back into the game without grinding a character to lvl cap again like I did before already.

Posted by: Eros.6801

Eros.6801

Hey listen man, its your fault not giving clear infomation so everyone here thought you
were still pretty much new to the game so they gave you their best advices, atleast say thank you.

For your problem i recommend necro/reaper with either condition or power build, reaper is a very strong melee/solo specs but also provide good dps. Reaper do have very nice ranged attack with axe for power and scepter for condi. If you try go get back into the game you should prob pick necro.

Being said that you are looking for a fun class then give mesmer a go, mes/chro both are very fun although mes/chro are more into supportive, utility class, with proper build chronomancer are on high demand for tank spot in raid. Please note that mesmer/chrono is not a dps specs but they can solo pretty much anything due to clones.

Lastly, as you said you have a maxed warrior so i suggest take a look at berserker elite specs with condi/viper gear, this is a very powerful dps specs with ton of burn, if you love set things on fire then give warrior a try. This is my personal opinion but i think i enjoy condi war more than power, strong dps, easy gameplay, a good solo specs overall.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, the game has changed much since launch 4+ years ago. The level-up tutorial didn’t even exist back then.

Regardless, what is fun for one is torture for another. You could peruse the Raid/Fractal sub-forum for thoughts on which Professions are best for end-game content.

Good luck.

Bamfbear.5028

Hey listen man, its your fault not giving clear infomation so everyone here thought you
were still pretty much new to the game so they gave you their best advices, atleast say thank you.

For your problem i recommend necro/reaper with either condition or power build, reaper is a very strong melee/solo specs but also provide good dps. Reaper do have very nice ranged attack with axe for power and scepter for condi. If you try go get back into the game you should prob pick necro.

Being said that you are looking for a fun class then give mesmer a go, mes/chro both are very fun although mes/chro are more into supportive, utility class, with proper build chronomancer are on high demand for tank spot in raid. Please note that mesmer/chrono is not a dps specs but they can solo pretty much anything due to clones.

Lastly, as you said you have a maxed warrior so i suggest take a look at berserker elite specs with condi/viper gear, this is a very powerful dps specs with ton of burn, if you love set things on fire then give warrior a try. This is my personal opinion but i think i enjoy condi war more than power, strong dps, easy gameplay, a good solo specs overall.

Yea I wasn’t very clear in my post, my fault! These are all very good points thank you! The reaper did look fun, and I didn’t know Chrono wasn’t a DPS that’s actually kinda cool. I have enjoyed support roles. Always liked versatility as doing the most DPS isn’t always what I wanna do all the time. Tanked in most MMO’s I’ve played, and tend to lean to melee. What ranged class is currently really fun to play? Doesn’t need to be best dps for end-game. Long as it isn’t something people don’t wanna bring to the raid XD

EDIT: How are Scrappers currently? I hear they are good in PvP but not so much in PvE? Anyone care to elaborate a bit? The consistent thing I keep hearing is people love playing it so I’d love to hear about it

(edited by Bamfbear.5028)

Posted by: Eros.6801

Eros.6801

Commander or Minstrel Chronomancer will get you far they are tanking/alacrity support build with ton of boon duration, you can use sword/shield and GS for ranged which is kinda fun cuz you are a mesmer.

Due to game menchanic you will find yourself end up in melee fight most of the time in any PvE contents ( not WvW or PvP )

Talking about a fun ranged class i think something like ele with scepter/x either power or condi worth a try, also ele are one of the best support/dps class in game so far. But hey you can have more than 1 set on one character !! So i suggest make a condi set for chrono, using scepter/x and staff and i guarantee you will have a lot of fun with condi mes although they are just a fun build not for dun or raid.

Necro/Reaper is powerful but purely DPS and sometime you can tank if the party need you, necro can still offer little support to party but not so much tho.

And for Engi/Scrapper, you are corrected that scrapper is a good specs in PvP/WvW but not so much in PvE, you will need to drop scrapper and back to vanilla engi for more dps in PvE and accepted in raid. The good thing about engi/scrapper is they are really fun to play but since im not good at engi, i can’t go in detail.

Just for you to know, since the lastest balance patch end-game right now are pretty much into condition, power build still doing great but if you want to raid then better make a condi/viper set.