So how is your server? Choosing the right one for you

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

I created this topic during the various BWE’s and got some great feedback from folks that finally helped in determining which server I settled on to call home.

Just wanted to create a new thread to help others out there get feedback on the various servers, so that if they want to transfer, they are better informed.

For myself, I settled on Tarnished Coast. It’s the unofficial RP server for North America, and while I don’t RP myself, I tend to find RP communities more mature and friendly. The server is very chatty, there are some trolls, but for the most part it’s buzzing with activity and helpful players. There’s also a lot of good-natured banter and the economy appears to be flourishing (albeit folks are selling items a bit too low, but I suspect that’s just a learning curve on how the Trading Post works and will eventually even out).

So how is your server? Please indicate the server name, whether it’s EU or US, if it’s language/country specific (like german, french, etc.), and most importantly, what the community is like.

Cheers!

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

Stay away from Northern Shiverpeaks — it’s a medium population server… lots of players transferred out… obviously not a good choice for WvW. I will transfer to Sorrow’s Furnace tonight… was going to be my first choice. I hear lots of good things from there on the forums.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: Gareni.3297

Gareni.3297

i am still lost on which server is right for me…hell where is this manual for what server is what? I would like to order a copy!

Know what can not be known. -Whisper Agent

Posted by: VendettaDFA.9368

VendettaDFA.9368

US Sorrows Furnace …. My original choice .. high population and only the occasional chat troll. Very happy with this server overall. Events are flocked to and the swamp behemoth has been totally awesome with 50 + players having at it. I am primarily PvE so thats the scope of my critique Even made a few in game mail trades without a hitch so there are trustworthy players here.

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

All the servers have the same content, just different names. You can sort them by region (America, Europe, etc), and by population at the time you look at them in the server browser.

Good to hear about Sorrow’s Furance.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: Archduke.3817

Archduke.3817

I joined Sorrow’s Furnace on launch. I decided to change out when I realized that Spanish was everywhere and learned it was the unofficial Spanish server, they also do not do well in WvW.

From there I joined Isle of Janthir, which is a high populated server barely, no spanish and has a good community with tons of Aussies. Not too shabby in WvW, but not very good either… It just didn’t feel right to me though. Not quite the amount of people in it that I wanted. So I left and joined Dragonbrand. I have come to decide this is the perfect server for me. Perfect amount of people, full-english and good community helping each other out with pwning WvW. I am so glad ArenaNet let us have free transfers so we could settle in the right server.

All three are US servers.

My life has a superb cast, but I can’t figure out the plot. -ISLE OF JANTHIR SERVER-

Posted by: Dark Star.9531

Dark Star.9531

How do I view the server load and wvw information when I have already selected a server?

Also, how do you begin the transfer service?

Thanks.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Just chipping in to let the OP know that the trade post works between different servers so there’s no server-specific economy :P

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Gilaiir.5679

Gilaiir.5679

Pikan Square was my first pick since me and some of my buddies like to RP. But we also have a love for PvP and dedicated players. Well, WvW kinds sucks in PS and dedicated players… There are none. Only the RPers are dedicated. But they stay around lvl 30/40 because they RP way to much so there are almost NO players at Orr. That leads to allot of events who cant be finished. And the Lyssa priestess event was bugged so it couldn’t be finished…. Which made me cry. So my guild and I decided to switch over to Gunnar’s Hold because we found a cool guild we could join.

Sol’s Blessing!

Posted by: AdamLiborio.8436

AdamLiborio.8436

I’m also on Tarnished Coast. Was originally on Henge of Denravi but had some friends on Tarnished so I transferred over. So far I like Tarnished. As OP said the community is pretty friendly. I don’t RP either but for the most part it doesn’t bother me and sometimes it’s funny when you run into some people RPing in LA. We also haven’t been doing too bad in WvW so that’s nice.

Posted by: ColdCarnage.8273

ColdCarnage.8273

I actually wanted to join Darkhaven or Blackgate (cause they sounded cool lol) but my friends all chose Henge of Denravi so its going to be my main server for a while until they all decide to transfer. Speaking of worlds/servers they should start making a ton of new servers, majority of the servers have high population by the time this game reaches 6 months majority will be full.

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

I ended up on Jade Quarry mostly from a voting session from my guild before the game came out. It was obviously full in the beginning, but I think it’s starting to settle for a bit. Fortunately, everyone in my guild managed to make into the server.

In addition, I like the name and in GW1, Jade Quarry is a competitive mission in the Luxon territory in the Factions campaign. Being a Ritualist that wore mostly the Elite Luxon Armor before Eye of the North came out, I got quite attached to the Luxons.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

Jayne.9251

Just chipping in to let the OP know that the trade post works between different servers so there’s no server-specific economy :P

Oh doh, you’re totally right .. I’m so programmed with other MMO’s having unique brokers/trading posts per server.

Jayne.9251

Has anyone tried guesting?

Posted by: FireRunner.9481

FireRunner.9481

My friends and I were on Maguuma, then moved to Fort Apsenwood for the WvW. So far we love it. Borderlands is fun and we’re on vent running around doing all kinds of good

80 Asura Ranger – Commander

Posted by: Meece.4109

Meece.4109

How do I view the server load and wvw information when I have already selected a server?

Also, how do you begin the transfer service?

Thanks.

To transfer, open game to character select menu.
Bottom left is the server UI button.
Open the list, select the server you wish, transfer.

The entire thing took me a little over 2 minutes.

Best of luck.

Posted by: Meece.4109

Meece.4109

What I’d like to see is a latency monitor. Is that in the game?

Posted by: callaleonard.1728

callaleonard.1728

We had a great deal of difficulty in choosing the right server in our guild because we were placing our bets on the unknown. We finally settled down in Dragonbrand and are quite pleased with our decision. We had a blog post about it: http://bonsaiguild.com/5-days-to-go-up-a-creek-without-a-paddle-in-server-choices/

I hope you find or have found the right home for you. Remember, the grass may seem greener on the other side, but sometimes it isn’t always the case.

Bonsai
West-Coast guild on Dragonbrand.
http://bonsaiguild.com

Posted by: Draco.9470

Draco.9470

I just picked one and went at headstart and havent moved. I really dont see the point in moving to be honest, you can group cross server, guild cross server.. I dont know, seems like it doesnt matter where you are. But I will say I have enjoyed being on Darkhaven and will continue to stay.

Moribundus / Draconox – Darkhaven

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Tarnished Coast…but, you know that Jayne, lol.

Love RP (official or un-official) servers in any game. Even though its been a couple of years since I was involved in an RP Guild, I still like the maturity and community that an active RP element brings to any server.

Raf

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Jayne.9251

Thought I’d bump this since free server transfers are coming to an end shortly (I think) .. more feedback the better. Let’s help each other out!

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

I’m on Gandara, EU unofficial English.

Aside from the almost constant gold sellers, the majority of the community I’ve encountered have been friendly, helpful and just up for a bit of a chat and some random pug-ing.

Also, chock-full of people and we do okay in WvW.

Posted by: bluebacker.8679

bluebacker.8679

Angry Army has transferred to Northern Shiverpeaks. The Wv3 void left by the Asension Alliance has been filled!

Jayne.9251

Ok it’s been a month since launch …. Would love to get tons of feedback from folks to help others out …. So now you’ve got a pretty good idea of what your server is like … Why do you recommend it?

Posted by: Kesarai.5084

Kesarai.5084

Am really glad for the free server transfers (thank you ANet). Started on one during headstart, can’t remember the name, the people weren’t bad, just not real helpful. Me & my husband moved to Ehmbry Bay (sp). I lasted all of two days. Got tired of people training mobs over me, running over my corpse and not bothering to rez as they continued on their merry way.

Moved to Tarnished Coast because I have had experience in the past with RP servers and have always had good experiences. Didn’t let me down The people are for the most part great, they are friendly, helpful, and if you happen to die, not often you have to waypoint. I don’t WvW or PvP, but they seem to do good in it. I know there’s usually a lot of people around for events, especially the bigger ones.

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

I’m on Desolation (EU) from the start and I’ve got no complaints. I’ve yet to see a single bot, WvW is decent (we’re currently ranked 4th of the EU servers) and I regularly have a blast just standing around chatting in map chat.

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

This is the first MMO I enjoy playing, so noob to all this.

I joined Gunnar’s Hold (EU) server at launch after reading an article on the PC Gamer website. This is where they were setting up their guild, so figured I would give both the server and the guild a try.

At launch it had a medium population, but now I see it is at ‘high’. I’m mainly a casual PvE solo player (currently at lvl 61) and so far it seems fine, but I don’t have any other reference for comparison. People seem friendly enough and seem to help each other out in-game. I haven’t been hit by any ‘trains’…

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Posted by: Rinzei.9304

Rinzei.9304

I’ve ended up on Piken Square (EU) after our first server became Full. It’s mostly Medium population and as others have said, it is the Unofficial EU Server.

It fits my playing style well. I’m quite casual in my pace and play, so the community fits me well. It feels a bit more relaxed and laidback in terms of play style. I also find it interesting to watch the roleplaying groups.

Main: FFion Auryl | Sylvari Necromancer | Dusk Born | Charming
Alt: Sharl Thorne | Norn Guardian | Bearborn | Honorable
Alt: Afanen Braith | Human Ranger | Commoner | Honorable

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I picked Desolation (EU) purely because I heard it was unofficially nominated an English language server and since I can’t speak any other languages fluently that was my main priority.

I’m happy with it, but then I haven’t tried switching to any others to see what they’re like. But people are friendly and it seems pretty active. I don’t think I’ve looked at the WvW tab and I wouldn’t know what a good score/ranking was if I did, but a lot of people talk about doing it so I assume we’re doing ok.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”