Super durable graphics card recommendations?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

My current card, a AMD Radeon HD 6850, is in the process of dying and I’d like to get a replacement that will never overheat or have dried out thermal paste or have a fan break or any of that nonsense.

GW2 is the most graphic heavy game I own, and I seriously doubt I’m going to get any newer games anytime in the foreseeable future (1 kid, 2nd in the works). I’d like a card that can play GW2 with high settings, and beyond that my only requirement is for durability so I don’t have to mess it with it ever again.

Does anyone have any expert opinions on a card?

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

After long enough a lot of cards will have something die. Especially thermal paste; it’s just going to tend to dry out (although it’s generally an easy fix).

Your best bet is to get a card from a high-tier brand. I’d say to look at an EVGA, MSI, or Sapphire card. Probably a GTX 1050 or RX 460/470 depending on how much you want to spend

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

GEE TEE EX ONE THOUSAND AND SIXTY!

that’s all I gotta say, that’s all I need to say

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Cards don’t last forever. I had to replace mine last fall after having it for about 4 years. You should be able to get a quality graphic card from any of the major brands.

I’d suggest going for value rather than performance as your system will slow down due to the CPU much sooner because of your graphics card. Buying a high end graphics card isn’t going to do much for you if you don’t have a good CPU.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Fermi.2409

A 480 is a better buy. And either card is going to be excessive for the TC’s need

Amaimon.7823

A 480 is a better buy. And either card is going to be excessive for the TC’s need

AMD had less reliability though. But that’s personal experience. I can only say don’t suffer as I did and buy a gtx

Fluffball.8307

I’m not thrilled with the AMD, I googled the problems I’ve been having and apparently it’s pretty common. The screen splits in half with the right half on the left and the left half on the right, and fuzzy lines show up all over the screen.

I’ll take your guys advice to just get “a card” and expect it to die sooner or later. My computer is fairly old anyway.

Fermi.2409

AMD had less reliability though.

What is that even supposed to mean? Are you trying to say that AMD cards die faster? Because that’s a baseless statement.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

If your system’s old, then check the requirements for the card. I went out and blindly bought an upgraded video card only to discover my power supply wasn’t powerful enough for it.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

If you only need to play Gw2, there’s no reason why a cheap Rx 460 or GTX 1050 for like $100 could hurt! They use little power as well. Do not “just get a card” as the ones that cost below, aka “entry level” are too weak (like the gt 730 which loses to some integrated graphics…). Since you don’t like AMD, then the 1050 is the winner and a smidgen faster. And don’t get the 1050ti because it’s about as expensive as the Rx 470 and not nearly as good

Personally, I recommend the Rx 470. Recommended it lately to a relative and it’s a good card. It’s still very well priced: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202230

Although I own a gtx 1060, I would admit that AMD cards are just better for value in the sub-300 price range.

tl;dr ~Any modern card in the 100-150 range, give or take a few

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Amaimon.7823

What is that even supposed to mean? Are you trying to say that AMD cards die faster? Because that’s a baseless statement.

As i said. Its personal experience. I could be an outlier on the graph. I just have horrible experiences with AMD and will never buy them again. But as I said. Its personal

Fermi.2409

As i said. Its personal experience. I could be an outlier on the graph. I just have horrible experiences with AMD and will never buy them again. But as I said. Its personal

So it’s an unsupported statement based on a single anecdote. All right.

Fluffball.8307

To be fair, I’ve been using graphics cards for as long as they’ve existed, and I’ve never had any problems until this AMD one (aside from an accidental explosion due to a power surge). Anecdotal for sure, but I don’t see any reason to buy it again when I can buy other brands that have never given me trouble, especially considering other people have had the exact same problem with my card.

Anywho, thanks for the advice all.

Posted by: Spacial.1683

Spacial.1683

Does anyone have any expert opinions on a card?

This is a table of the currently available graphics cards, arranged in a hierarchy.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

It is updated regularly and is generally taken as the standard reference for serious PC builders.

Read the text. Look at the available card and check prices.

Personally, I’m using a GTX 760. It’s smooth and reliable. You should choose what suits you best.

Fermi.2409

1060 a tier above the 390/390x/480? 1070 a tier above a 980ti/Fury X? GTX 960 a tier below a 7970/770/380? That’s a pretty seriously flawed list.

It is updated regularly and is generally taken as the standard reference for serious PC builders.

“Serious PC builders” look at cards within their price range and compare benchmarks, not use some random list.

Spacial.1683

1060 a tier above the 390/390x/480? 1070 a tier above a 980ti/Fury X? GTX 960 a tier below a 7970/770/380? That’s a pretty seriously flawed list.

“Serious PC builders” look at cards within their price range and compare benchmarks, not use some random list.

Presumably, the list was compiled by people with somewhat better experiences and resources.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-AMD-R9-390/3639vs3481

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-390-vs-GeForce-GTX-1060

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=3540&gid2=3117&compare=geforce-gtx-1060-vs-radeon-r9-390-sapphire-nitro-8gb-edition

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-vs-AMD-R9-Fury-X/3609vs3498

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-FURY-vs-GeForce-GTX-1070

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/229373-nvidias-new-gtx-1070-freezes-out-fury-trashes-titan-x

Fermi.2409

Presumably, the list was compiled by people with somewhat better experiences and resources.

Yet it still has gaping flaws

Both game-debate and gpuboss are worse then useless, and are you trying to say that the 1060 is a tier above the AMD equivalents? That’s far from the case.

+ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiYQqNiqQKU

The gpuboss link is the wrong GPU and the extremetech link has one game becnhmark and uses old AMD drivers

So yeah, maybe I should have said “compare good benchmarks”, but I figured that went without saying.

Spacial.1683

https://www.hardwareunboxed.com/rx-480-8gb-vs-gtx-1060-6gb-battle-of-the-mid-range-contenders/

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/graphics-cards/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-1070-1060-vs-amd-radeon-rx-480-3641216/?p=2

The OP asked for advice and that is what I have provided.

Tom’s Hardware is a well established outfit, recognised and cited, industry wide. It’s comparison charts and building guides are accepted as some of the best around.

The other 8 companies I’ve cited, likewise, are equally accepted as legitimate and reliable.

I really don’t need an argument every time I post.

Amaimon.7823

So it’s an unsupported statement based on a single anecdote. All right.

so would be your amd support, I havent seen you linking evidence than amd is better. I never said it was statistically accurate what I said. I had an AMD once, broke within in a year. a friend of mine had a similar effect of a completely different amd. in retrospect I also had a 660ti (thats a GTX) and one other (I think it was a 970) that both lasted over 5 years without ever showing signs of decay, I find that good quality

Fermi.2409

so would be your amd support, I havent seen you linking evidence than amd is better.

I never said AMD was better though. I said your claim that they were less reliable was unfounded, and you never provided any evidence that your statement was true. You’re the one making the claim here, you’re the one who needs to back it up

I never said it was statistically accurate what I said. I had an AMD once, broke within in a year. a friend of mine had a similar effect of a completely different amd. in retrospect I also had a 660ti (thats a GTX) and one other (I think it was a 970) that both lasted over 5 years without ever showing signs of decay, I find that good quality

Those are still anecdotes.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

lol no point in all this debating. The Rx 470 is priced so that it could break and you could buy a new one or an Rx 670 or w/e they come up with in the future and you wouldn’t have spent much more than on a 1060. And it’s not like the later’s gonna play Gw2 any better. There’s just no way you can really lose. It’s not like the GPUs are going to explode your computer like bad power supplies can.

460/1050 (flip a coin or pick a color), or get the 470 for a lot more power for mimimal cost.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Tatwi.3562

Tatwi.3562

As long as you keep the dust out the fan(s) and you use a power supply that isn’t a piece of junk, your video card (and CPU) will easily last you 10 years of daily use. I wouldn’t worry about reliability, though do take the time to read the Newegg reviews for Powercolor, Zotac, and XFX branded cards, as they tend to cheap out on some components which can make for lower reliability.

BTW: Dual fans may seem like a good idea, but what can happen is the fans will rotate at slightly different speeds, causing you to hear the harmonics of the difference in pitch. Super annoying…

Fermi.2409

The OP asked for advice and that is what I have provided.

Yes, and I provided relevant information about the quality of the advice.

Tom’s Hardware is a well established outfit, recognised and cited, industry wide. It’s comparison charts and building guides are accepted as some of the best around.

I can’t agree with “best around” but yes, Tom’s Hardware has a lot if good information available. That doesn’t mean that the list you posted isn’t flawed.

The other 8 companies I’ve cited, likewise, are equally accepted as legitimate and reliable.

Gpuboss and game-debate… Legitimate and reliable? They’re total jokes

I really don’t need an argument every time I post.

Them double check your information before you post it

Posted by: lilypop.7819

lilypop.7819

For the OP – as others have said – the best choice is between the RX-460 and 1050/Ti – the latter being slightly better.

I play only Gw2 and bought a RX-470 which is an overkill (with a i5-4750). I would have bought a RX-460 but reckoned its improvement over my current R7-260x was at best 30% – not cost effective to me. I will be replacing the R7s with the RX-460 if I see a decent deal in the future.

The XFX dual fan 4GB RX-470 is a stunning card and a jump up from the R7 260x in almost every way but clearly you need a powerful cpu to go the it, and GW2 is not a game to task it.

My advice would be for anyone with oldish equipment who mainly play GW2 to seriously consider the RX-460-4GB or the 1050/TI. For around $100 to $120 they would be great buys which might keep you old PC going for a few years as far as GW2 is concerned. I would also suggest that the reduced power requirement makes the switch almost cost-effective if you have a old >150w GPU.

I would also be a bit wary of selecting GPU based on benchmark tables in relation to GW2. These tables are really concerned with DX11 and 12 rather than 9.0c(GW2). and the differences are much low when considering the latter and in my experience GW2 in particular.

Here are my benchmarks (9.0c)

RX-470 —> 24 to 30
R7-260X --> 17 to 24
HD 7570 —> 6 to 7 (Range reflects different processors, numbers NOT fps)

Frankly as you go up that scale the fps increases -say 20 to 60 – graphics get slowly prettier and the game feels less sluggish (only dynamically noticeable in PvP, imo).

Subjectively the difference between the 260x and 470 with GW2 is marginal – I regularly switch between them as have two gaming PCs – although I most definitely hear the difference!

I would predict than with decent graphic quality the RX-460 with give you 40 to 50 fps and be very quiet. Personally I don’t think GW2 is worth spending a lot of money on for if you are considering a recent GPU with older equipment. You’ll get more fun from spending your money in-game once above say $100 or so!

(edited by lilypop.7819)