Will this upgrade be enough?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Bear.3689

Bear.3689

Q:

I am upgrading my PC and wanna know if the picture I attached (the parts I intend to buy) are going to have changes on my fps during stuff like world bosses and wvw.

Attachments:

Bear.3689

I am upgrading from an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 and an AMD Radeon HD 6700 series

Posted by: YouWillLearn.9531

YouWillLearn.9531

Whats your current specs?

Bear.3689

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

CPU is a bit over twice as fast so that’ll be a nice kick in the pants over what you currently have. Helpful when lots of other players are around in combat.

GPU, that’s a bit tougher since AMD cards report family and not exact model. You could have an HD 6750, 6770 or 6790. Worse case, comparing an HD 6790 to a GTX 660, the GTX 660 is roughly 1.9x faster.

Good note is that you’ve improved both sides of the equation, CPU and GPU, by similar amounts. I think it’ll be safe to say that you’ve doubled your FPS at the same settings.

Of course that’s a SWAG.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

It will be a solid upgrade.

You are planning an x64 OS, right? (or the 8GB of memory is not needed).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Indeed. My old kit (and I mean OLD) was an early generation i7 quad core with 8Gb of DDR2, GTX260 later upgraded to a GTX760, forget what the mobo was. In wvw, I’d be at 1 fps even on low, much the same in boss events.

I now have a i7 4790K on a Asus Maximus VII Gene with the GTX760 and 16Gb of DDR3. Even on the most hectic days in Tequatl, I could run full high everything and get 30-35fps. My standard is 60fps without that load.

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

All good except the MB… Asrock os awful… I’d go for a gigabite, MSI or Asus instead…

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

All good except the MB… Asrock os awful… I’d go for a gigabite, MSI or Asus instead…

I’ve never used an Asrock, but I can vouch for Gigabyte or Asus being rock solid. I doubt I would ever buy another brand of MB, but I’m just picky that way.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Rainmaker.7594

Rainmaker.7594

I recently upgraded, and I’m very disappointed with my Gigabyte board. The relevant reason for posting here about it is to warn you that their fan controller is garbage. If you get Gigabyte, make sure to get only PWM fans or it will be loud because current Gigabyte boards don’t support any control for non-PWM fans (the other reason I don’t like my Gigabyte board is because of the poor layout – bad location for SATA connectors, can’t fit a large CPU HSF because they first PCI-E x16 slot is too close). ASUS has always been great for me. I have been wanting to give MSI a try too. Previously its been that I’d only buy ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI, now its just ASUS and MSI.

As far as your build goes, it is much better than your previous setup, as others have said. If possible, depending on your knowledge, I’d recommend trying to overclock that CPU a bit.

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Apart from the motherboard it looks pretty solid. GW2 seems more proccessor heavy than average games, and that i5 should do swimmingly.

Keep in mind that your internet connection is also important when it comes to WvW.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA