what class should I play? (long)

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: ZSpark.8493

ZSpark.8493

Q:

Wow, what a difference time makes. I got this game when it came out, but quickly stopped playing due to other stuff going on. I always wanted to come back but never really did aside a few short periods to hang out with my only other friend who has the game. I never really got to experience all the awesome stuff this game has to offer as I only reached level 24.

Now I want to see what this game is all about. After watching videos and reading some articles on the new update(s); I’ve become very interested again. However I’m stuck at the character select screen trying to decide on a class to play, and when I go to the “profession” forums all I see is this class sucks or is OP. Because of that I am not going to look their anymore and just ask you guys. If I look at another class forum i’ll probably just stab my monitor with a water bottle.

I know I can just go to sPvP area and play all the classes at level 80; However this is not enough for me because I am primarily a PvE player. That is not to say I do not want to do sPvP but PvE is my primary target.

In other similar games over the years, my favorite thing to do was get some friends in a group and go attempt to run through a dungeon or complete a mission. I love grouping and having fun. I don’t care about being the best, I just wanna have some fun and maybe even a few laughs. But a class that has a good time in PvE groups is a must!

Generally I have always been attracted to the hot (female) support profesions. I know just about every profesion in GW2 can fulfill that role depending on build. But Support: either in healing, Crowd control, buffs, or blah blah… it doesn’t matter. I have also enjoyed Tanking and taking the hits as well. However, being the top damage dealer has never really been my forte (with a squiqqle above the e). I also have issues with playing the most popular profession in games. I don’t know why but I get so irritated when I’m having a great time and then go to a busy area and notice that everyone is just like me. I chose to play a class in EverCrack (yeah, I played everquest regulary!) by typing in /who all (maxlevel) and selecting the class with the fewest players.

Oh, and my only friend plays a Mesmer, so that class is Off the list.

I don’t care about being range or melee, as long as my group loves me and I love them.

So if you have any Profession tips for me let me know! I am totally lost, I’m kind of looking at Guardian, elementalist, necromancer, Warrior, Ranger, ………….. Ok so I’m looking at all of them. That is why I need your help.

If you mention a Profession please also list what makes them cool (in your opinion) and why the are the best choice for me.

Thanks in Advance!

Zspark, the Hero that is Not yet.

Posted by: CountzuCrytus.7256

CountzuCrytus.7256

If I look at another class forum i’ll probably just stab my monitor with a water bottle.

LOL

I feel as though the Elementalist may be a good fit for you. Elementalist tends to have a very active play stile. You have a limited selection of weapons as compared to other classes but each weapon has 3x as many skills. The way it works is you have 4 attunements, fire, water, air, earth. Each attunement changes the skills you have. You can swap attunements at will, once you leave one it goes on cool down for about 10-12 seconds.. So instead of having 10 skills to manage as any other class you have 20. Because of this feature they are really fun to play as it requires you to be really active and not just spam 1 as you can create all sorts of combinations by using skills from different attunements together.

Eles are really squishy. They have the lowest base health and lowest base armor in the game. So having 20 skills to manage along with limited survivability. They are also one of the best support and best damage dealers in game (depending on how you build one). Because they have 4 attunements, each attunement tends to focus on a particular play stile. Fire tends to focus around damage, water is around support, air is about dps/control and earth is about defense/control/conditions. So you can really fill any role rather well.

Eles are good for dungeons and any group play also are not too common. You will see plenty of eles around but they’re not as common as a guardian or warrior (at least from my experience)

Posted by: Khunda X.1687

Khunda X.1687

I dont know, Eles are fun but a little more advanced. You wont come into your own until later levels. Prepare to spend alot of time on your back (downed) when getting surrounded playing solo. Staffs put out good damage, and AOE, but slow.

Melee weapons (close range) does good damage as well, adds mobility, but your attack range is shorter, and your wearing light (scholar) armor, while fighting close range is certain death (swarmed). Thats why although Im warrior, I have much respect for any ele OR any scholar wearer for that matter because you know they’ve been through some things and paid their dues to get to level 80. With my warrior I think my first down time was level 26

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

Guardian or Ele for the active support role. Plenty of buffs, heals, cc, and combo fields that your team will love you for.

Posted by: Oh My God.8423

Oh My God.8423

Hot female:

Norn, max height, most of the light armours look hot; some heavy armours are hot too (still miss that boobs grapping claw from the Arah breastplate).

Human cultural medium tier 3 looks hot too.

In terms of support, yes guardian and elementalist are a good choice. Also it is said that the best support is DPS because you are supporting others by eliminating the threat all together. Warrior or some glasscannon build could be what you are looking for. All others can do decent support too at various degree. So search around under different professions formums to get some basic idea.

Posted by: Treebeard The Swift.9620

Treebeard The Swift.9620

Warr is a great base to start from – its fast to map with, usable everywhere, great damage and survivability. Its also handy if you trait for auto stability use and the cleave ability means if you get attacked by four foes with a sidestep or two you can damage them all per swing. Also if you decide to do wvw later the auto healing and cleaving is very handy in zerg v zerg.
Also dungeon friendly.
edit: sylvari male is pretty awesome looking – go for maximum glow, night shade skin with purple or red or yellow. the cheap t2 heavy cultural glows at night and looks great with no helm on. if purple looks awesome with the tormented weapon skins as the glows match.

(edited by Treebeard The Swift.9620)

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

Arun Kar

Posted by: hedition.7261

hedition.7261

Warrior is great and all but…I find them boring.

Posted by: Oh My God.8423

Oh My God.8423

Warrior is great and all but…I find them boring.

Warrior is a straightforward, no fancy machanic and easy to pick-up profession. I play an elementialist and a shatter mesmer, so for me warrior is a little on the easy side.

But that does not mean you should not give it a go and see it for yourself.

Posted by: Max.9287

Max.9287

try Engieneer

1) not common
2) good for support
3) really flexible
4) flamethrower !!!
otherwise you pratically describe Guardian (common class) even if Warrior is easier to manage fow a new player

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Guardian, Ele, Thief or maaaaaaaaaybe Warrior.

Guard is more like a defensive support, tough it can be still deal a lot of damage.
Ele is offensive support in the form of boons and high damage and situational utility (icebow, earth elemental, sandstorm, etc.).
Thief has high stealth uptime, so it makes skipping parts a breeze.
Warrior is also an offensive supporter with banners, buffs etc but as others said, its a really straightforward class.

Posted by: crystlviper.8523

crystlviper.8523

Play a ranger, very fun and in pvp when you are kitting that necro or warrior hard it is funny to watch them bash on their keyboard in an effort to catch you.

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Either elementalist or guardian, more likely guardian given your description.

The elementalist pumps the most support in the game in terms of damage-oriented boons (might specifically), and has second-tier AoE regen, AoE heal and AoE protection capabilities, as well as both projectile nullification and reflection. It can possess full uptime on vigor (nonstop dodging essentially), and can buff 500+% uptime on swiftness for crossing maps quickly. It also does more damage. However, it doesn’t exactly take hits well at all – if anything it’s the 2nd glassiest class in the game, and also the hardest to learn due to its complexity and glassiness. It’s often underestimated and rarely played because its innate difficulty of play makes the majority of players incapable of actually using them properly before having at least a week or more of ingame experience – while a handful of veterans still can’t play it after months in GW2. It was also pretty much useless at Player vs Player content, which prompted Anet to give it immunity to critical hits in a recent patch to address its tendency to lie on the floor for entire matches.

The guardian is the most capable of providing Aegis to cover party members who are bad at evasion, also possesses projectile reflection capabilities (with a better uptime actually), and has top-tier heal and damage reduction capabilities. It has second tier AoE boon capabilities. It has horrendous mobility. Damage can be ok-ish if specced to do so, but doing that will impact your ability to provide Aegis and heal. It’s easy to survive in a guardian, not hard to be useful, and very difficult to be an expert at it (perfect Aegis timing involves knowing all the attack patterns of all the mobs). Guardians are very common as it’s really hard to die in one, but expert guardians are as rare as expert elementalists. In both cases, they never, ever die before the rest of the whole party wipes first.

(edited by Hayashi.3416)