A plea: Can we start raising cooldowns

in PvP

Posted by: CptCuddles.8912

CptCuddles.8912

Since the devs are now being given more autonomy to split skill balance in pvp can we please address an issue that has plagued this game since the trait overhaul prior to the release of HoT. After the changes made to the trait system many of the traits which granted cooldown reductions were made baseline for many weapon skills and utilities. This was also followed up by overpowered elite specs and a general balance philosophy of lowering cooldowns on under powered skills rather than nerfing the over powered ones. The result has been the general spamfest we have today which has driven so many players, myself included, to abandon pvp and gw2 altogether. This being said, just because I have largely given up hope doesn’t mean I don’t care.

So I am asking the devs to please take these comments into consideration moving forward for the overall health of the game and help lower the skill floor in pvp. This is only one of many systemic balance changes which has adversely affected pvp (e.g., rampant addition of passive traits cough).

in PvP

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

+1

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

Did you mean raise the skill floor? Or are you trying to make the game easier by making many skills usable less frequently?

in PvP

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

Completely agreed with CptCuddles, instead of balancing the Hot specs, they are fully embracing the powercreep and buffing the core specs by introducing autotrigger passive traits or significantly reducing CDs. They should be doing the opposite, they should be nerfing elite specs significantly.
Special mention to low CD skills with a million secondary effects.

in PvP

CptCuddles.8912

Did you mean raise the skill floor? Or are you trying to make the game easier by making many skills usable less frequently?

No I meant it the way it reads. By raising cooldowns you incentivize people to think about the skills they are using and actually manage their cooldowns. It also increases the significance when players mitigate the damage from those skills because they won’t be available for a longer period. This is not the case today where you almost always have a high impact skill available since nearly all of the skills and utilities have much shorter cooldowns then the pre-HoT era. Consequently, it’s much easier for a mediocre player to compete with an experienced player.

An added bonus is that with less skills flying around there would be less effects spam and the game would actually be cleaner for players and spectators to get a barring on what’s going on.

As an aside, I have personally stopped playing gw for this and other balance reasons because I have seen what the balance philosophy is and it has moved further and further away from promoting skillful play with every patch. I hope it changes in the future but even if the devs recognize the problems it’s going to take them years to fix the problem at the pace they’re going. And that’s a very sincere estimate.

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

No I meant it the way it reads. By raising cooldowns you incentivize people to think about the skills they are using and actually manage their cooldowns. It also increases the significance when players mitigate the damage from those skills because they won’t be available for a longer period. This is not the case today where you almost always have a high impact skill available since nearly all of the skills and utilities have much shorter cooldowns then the pre-HoT era. Consequently, it’s much easier for a mediocre player to compete with an experienced player.

An added bonus is that with less skills flying around there would be less effects spam and the game would actually be cleaner for players and spectators to get a barring on what’s going on.

As an aside, I have personally stopped playing gw for this and other balance reasons because I have seen what the balance philosophy is and it has moved further and further away from promoting skillful play with every patch. I hope it changes in the future but even if the devs recognize the problems it’s going to take them years to fix the problem at the pace they’re going. And that’s a very sincere estimate.

Ok lol this is just a semantics thing, higher floor = higher level of skill necessary to clear that floor. What “clearing the floor” means is subjective, but I guess clearing the skill floor would mean not being permadead (such as many new thieves, who have not cleared the skill floor). Alternatively you could say that higher CDs raise the skill ceiling, meaning that increasing CDs would require a higher level of skill to reach the maximum skill level possible (i.e. the ceiling).

in PvP

CptCuddles.8912

Ok lol this is just a semantics thing, higher floor = higher level of skill necessary to clear that floor. What “clearing the floor” means is subjective, but I guess clearing the skill floor would mean not being permadead (such as many new thieves, who have not cleared the skill floor). Alternatively you could say that higher CDs raise the skill ceiling, meaning that increasing CDs would require a higher level of skill to reach the maximum skill level possible (i.e. the ceiling).

This is getting really off topic and I don’t care to be right so ok.

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

NO

NO

NO

If you want dumbed down garbage go play league or something. Their, the dev literally says that simplicity is good for a comp game.

Garbage moba and mmo matches are decided over a few huge meme spells instead of repeated tests of skill, so you’d be lowering the skill cieling. Please take such cancer to other games.

(edited by duster.7013)

in PvP

CptCuddles.8912

NO

NO

NO

If you want dumbed down garbage go play league or something. Their, the dev literally says that simplicity is good for a comp game.

Garbage moba and mmo matches are decided over a few huge meme spells instead of repeated tests of skill, so you’d be lowering the skill cieling. Please take such cancer to other games.

You’re welcome to disagree but could you please provide a substantive response. You didn’t do anything but rant and state hyperboles.

This game existed in a time when things were far more simplistic and the balance was much better and skill oriented. Complexity is ok but it’s implementation had been horribly mishandled in this game. And I’m really just touching upon one issue so there is no need to make generalizations.

in PvP

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Go for it. Just don’t touch my ini costs.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Reducing cooldowns in some cases is okay. Many abilities which weren’t used pre-HoT have excessive CDs. And raising cooldowns in many cases doesn’t fix some of the power creep. It only serves to ruin the feel of some builds or make the playstyle “spam everything and hide for a bit”.

What they really need to look at is the strength of the ability, how many things it does (damage, survival, CC), how easy it is to execute/counter, and the effect duration as well as the cooldown.

ANet actually considered this with the Surge of the Mists change. It was CC, somewhat strong damage, and an evade all in one. They cut out a lot of the damage and it’s in a better state for the game. If only other HoT stuff got the same treatment.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Go for it. Just don’t touch my ini costs.

Next balance patch.

“We felt that thieves had an unfair advantage since we couldn’t just increase CD on their weapon skills. Therefore we increased the initiative cost on every weapon skill by 1. To help compensate for this change, we decreased the CD on all venom skills by another 2 seconds.”

in PvP

Posted by: Dragonfeu.4356

Dragonfeu.4356

Just something to keep in mind, melee autoattacks are very difficult to reliably land if you don’t have a stable connection to the servers.

in PvP

CptCuddles.8912

Just something to keep in mind, melee autoattacks are very difficult to reliably land if you don’t have a stable connection to the servers.

What does that have to do with anything?

in PvP

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

This would benefit thieves, who have zero cooldowns anyway.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in PvP

Posted by: WonderfulCT.6278

WonderfulCT.6278

I feel pretty much exactly the same, It’s the same reasons I left the game. I still check the forums every few months to see if there’s any significant updates but seems like anet is sticking to their guns.

I found the game the most fun basically before HoT and I feel that the elite specs killed pvp. The old way they seemed to be balancing the game got thrown out the window and (IMO) the game just became a spam fest full of tanks.

Add more sound effects to The Minstrel plz.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

That is absolute lie. All thief utilities have CDs, steal has CD, stealth spells have CD. Weapon skills are resource based and ini is not endless – ini regen and usage is CD and it is global over both weapon sets unlike for other classes (imagine if necro used staff 5 all his scepter skills would be on CD as well – this is how it is for thieves).

Also, thief is only class in entire game with weapon CDs (ini) not affected by alacrity and which puts them in disadvantage in overall picture.

I also would like to point out that main damage for thieves comes from AA because due to repeatable nature of other weapon spells Anet nerfed most of them to the level of utility.

As far as topic goes: yes, we need longer CDs, especially for highly impactful/aoe spells. Atm it is just fire away and forget meta and i am really tired of it.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

OriOri.8724

That is absolute lie. All thief utilities have CDs, steal has CD, stealth spells have CD. Weapon skills are resource based and ini is not endless – ini regen and usage is CD and it is global over both weapon sets unlike for other classes (imagine if necro used staff 5 all his scepter skills would be on CD as well – this is how it is for thieves).

Also, thief is only class in entire game with weapon CDs (ini) not affected by alacrity and which puts them in disadvantage in overall picture.

I also would like to point out that main damage for thieves comes from AA because due to repeatable nature of other weapon spells Anet nerfed most of them to the level of utility.

As far as topic goes: yes, we need longer CDs, especially for highly impactful/aoe spells. Atm it is just fire away and forget meta and i am really tired of it.

You’re correct in that thiefs’ weapon skills don’t benefit from alacrity (even though the rest of your skills do), but at the same time thief arguably benefits the most from quickness due to so much of its damage being on its autoattack chain, the situation isn’t as lopsided as you want people to believe.

And yes, ini is not endless, but again don’t try to pretend like you are getting the raw end of the deal here. Yes, you can’t spam all 5 of your weapon skills back to back like another class could, but you also have the lowest CD on your weapon skills in the game. And yes, FYI, I was talking about the CD on initiative, not making some stupid statement along the lines of “Oh, thief weapon skills have no CD, kitten a kitten ”.

The highest ini cost among all of your land based weapon skills is 6, and considering that initiative regenerates at 1 per second, this means you have a maximum of 6 second CD on ALL of your weapon skills. Indeed, most of them are 5 second CDs or less. The top 4 thief builds on MetaBattle, as well as the WvW roaming build, also all take the trickery line, which gives you an extra 2 ini when stealing, as well as you can trait in that same line to gain 3 initiative when swapping.

Don’t come in here with your sob story about poor thief and their initiative deal. Even with initiative, thief has by far the lowest CDs on weapon skills of all classes. By far. Chrono gave mesmer a shield, which came with CDs of 30 (now 35 in PvP) and 40 seconds. DD came with staff, where all of the skills cost 3-5 initiative. Your longest CD on your elite spec weapon is 5 seconds, 1/7 of what the CD is for chrono’s weapon skills. Quit whining about poor thief, because they are not in a bad state if we are talking about CDs.

You claim that the game needs higher CDs, well thief weapons are a good place to start imo to reduce skill spamming. All of their weapon skills on 6 seconds or less CD. All of their weapon skills (except for spear 5, but really who fights underwater anyway?) can be used twice back to back at least, and this is nothing but skill spam. @Svarty was correct, increasing CDs across the board would only help thieves, as their ability to spam weapon skills would just become more pronounced.

in PvP

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

You’re correct in that thiefs’ weapon skills don’t benefit from alacrity (even though the rest of your skills do), but at the same time thief arguably benefits the most from quickness due to so much of its damage being on its autoattack chain, the situation isn’t as lopsided as you want people to believe.

And yes, ini is not endless, but again don’t try to pretend like you are getting the raw end of the deal here. Yes, you can’t spam all 5 of your weapon skills back to back like another class could, but you also have the lowest CD on your weapon skills in the game. And yes, FYI, I was talking about the CD on initiative, not making some stupid statement along the lines of "Oh, thief weapon skills have no CD, kitten a kitten ".

The highest ini cost among all of your land based weapon skills is 6, and considering that initiative regenerates at 1 per second, this means you have a maximum of 6 second CD on ALL of your weapon skills. Indeed, most of them are 5 second CDs or less. The top 4 thief builds on MetaBattle, as well as the WvW roaming build, also all take the trickery line, which gives you an extra 2 ini when stealing, as well as you can trait in that same line to gain 3 initiative when swapping.

Don’t come in here with your sob story about poor thief and their initiative deal. Even with initiative, thief has by far the lowest CDs on weapon skills of all classes. By far. Chrono gave mesmer a shield, which came with CDs of 30 (now 35 in PvP) and 40 seconds. DD came with staff, where all of the skills cost 3-5 initiative. Your longest CD on your elite spec weapon is 5 seconds, 1/7 of what the CD is for chrono’s weapon skills. Quit whining about poor thief, because they are not in a bad state if we are talking about CDs.

You claim that the game needs higher CDs, well thief weapons are a good place to start imo to reduce skill spamming. All of their weapon skills on 6 seconds or less CD. All of their weapon skills (except for spear 5, but really who fights underwater anyway?) can be used twice back to back at least, and this is nothing but skill spam. @Svarty was correct, increasing CDs across the board would only help thieves, as their ability to spam weapon skills would just become more pronounced.

You say all this while quoting mesmer cooldowns and ignoring the bonus alacrity the mesmer gets. It’s especially funny given how brainless condi mesmer is at the moment. I say this as a former (since beta) mesmer main.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in PvP

OriOri.8724

@SteepledHat – Oh no, you caught me, I forgot about alacrity. Wait, no I didn’t. Even with 100% alacrity uptime (and seriously, if you have that in a PvP fight you aren’t running even a decent PvP build on chrono), your shield CDs would still be 26.3 seconds for SH4, and 30.1 seconds for SH5. But wait, I also apparently forgot about the effect of ToT reducing its own CD by 10 seconds. Just kidding, still didn’t forget about that. Its still a 22.5 sec CD with 100% alacrity uptime.

These still don’t compare to a 5 second CD on weapon skills, like what thief has access to, and you know it. Besides, your argument ignores the CDs on all other elite specs.

Reaper – 8 sec, 12 sec, 25 sec, 30sec
Reaper Shroud – 6, 25, 30, 30

Herald – 15 seconds, 25 seconds

DH – 4, 10, 15, 45 sec CDs

Berserker – 15, 25 sec CDs

Scrapper – 6, 12, 20, 24 sec CDs

Druid – 8, 18, 20, 25 sec CDs
CA – 1, 7, 8, 10 sec

Tempest – 30sec in Fire, 35 sec in Water, 25sec in Air, 30sec in Earth

Out of all of the weapon skills released in the elite specs, only 3 of them have comparable CDs to what thief gets on their highest CD attacks. Only 3 of these skills, 1 of which is a healing skill.

Of any class to complain about skill spam, its quite ironic that its coming from a thief considering they have by far the highest amount of skill spamming in the game. Some of them may try to convince you otherwise but its all a lie. No other class can spam skills like a thief can.

in PvP

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

The thing you miss when comparing thief cd’s to that of other classes is the fact that thief doesn’t have a defensive rotation. Unlike other classes that have stab, prot, regen, dodge, block, blind, invuln, and high healing all in one build couple with high armor health, cc, and damage thief has 3 defenses. Stealth (which is useless in pvp) blind (Pretty much useless outside of 1v1 and even then its still meh) and dodge. So yeah thieves have to spam the skills that let them survive long enough to get off the damage that every other class can do while tanking 5 other people and not batting an eye. The reason we have to be able to spam our skills is because we don’t get to survive in a straight fight, we have to spam dodges and literally never get hit or else we die. Increase ini costs if you want as long as you start giving thief stab, blocks (Outside of the stunbreak we need it for) invulns (not tied to a tree we can’t use in matches because we will have no damage) mega group heals, prot, etc.

Now back to the OP:
I completely agree, the game needs to be centered more on timing skills and following up with the appropriate defensive or offensive measures.

They could fix 90% of pvp’s problems if they followed this type of balance guideline:
-No passive invulns or counter cc’s (People should be punished for not mitigating cc and players should be rewarded, not punished, for landing it.)
-Skill effects kept separated (I.E. skills that evade don’t do high damage, skills that cc don’t evade or do high damage, skills that do high damage or cc don’t have high condi application, etc.)
-Skills kept on longer cd’s so timing skills is part of gameplay rather than 12345 miss all your kitten and still win being how you play.

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

in PvP

OriOri.8724

The thing you miss when comparing thief cd’s to that of other classes is the fact that thief doesn’t have a defensive rotation. Unlike other classes that have stab, prot, regen, dodge, block, blind, invuln, and high healing all in one build couple with high armor health, cc, and damage thief has 3 defenses. Stealth (which is useless in pvp) blind (Pretty much useless outside of 1v1 and even then its still meh) and dodge. So yeah thieves have to spam the skills that let them survive long enough to get off the damage that every other class can do while tanking 5 other people and not batting an eye. The reason we have to be able to spam our skills is because we don’t get to survive in a straight fight, we have to spam dodges and literally never get hit or else we die. Increase ini costs if you want as long as you start giving thief stab, blocks (Outside of the stunbreak we need it for) invulns (not tied to a tree we can’t use in matches because we will have no damage) mega group heals, prot, etc.

Now back to the OP:
I completely agree, the game needs to be centered more on timing skills and following up with the appropriate defensive or offensive measures.

They could fix 90% of pvp’s problems if they followed this type of balance guideline:
-No passive invulns or counter cc’s (People should be punished for not mitigating cc and players should be rewarded, not punished, for landing it.)
-Skill effects kept separated (I.E. skills that evade don’t do high damage, skills that cc don’t evade or do high damage, skills that do high damage or cc don’t have high condi application, etc.)
-Skills kept on longer cd’s so timing skills is part of gameplay rather than 12345 miss all your kitten and still win being how you play.

That’s an entirely separate problem, and you miss the point. Its ironic that thiefs are complaining about skill spam and want to increase CDs for other classes (since it wouldn’t affect thieves weapon skills at all), to then go right around and defend their own skill spam. Its not only ironic, but that’s not how good balance is achieved. Most classes are still overtuned after HoT came out, I agree with you there (but no, thief is not nearly in as bad of a spot as you guys want to make it out to be). But you can’t honestly complain about skills having too low of a CD when thief has the most spammable weapon skills of any class. Its hypocritical.

For the record, I do think that spam has gotten out of control in this game. I also think its almost entirely due to passive procs and skills doing way too many things (SotM anyone? auto chains that apply condis and/or boons?) too many AoE skills, and not due to low CDs however (though some skills possibly have too low of a CD, the majority are either fine or still too high though – looking at you core elites). I just can’t believe that thief players are the ones complaining about skill spam, considering you are the source of so much skill spam yourselves.

Yes, chronos spam shatters like crazy (but MW is 8 sec CD even with Illusion line and 100% alacrity uptime), yes it is a problem. I just can’t believe that of all classes, thieves are the ones complaining about skill spam

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

The only spammable thing thieves got in HoT is dodges and i think every thief would agree to better alternative than lol dodges that everyone is very sick by now.

Also, fun fact: i played core whole season 1, eventually somewhere at diamond in s2 i was simply forced to swithc to DD. You know why? Due to absurd amount of AoE, generally strong spells on short CD and reveal on demand. If CDs were longer and reveal was put on really long CD i could actually play core again.

Despite the “spammy no CD” nature of thief spells you complain so much about thief is only class up to date that actually have to manage ini (CDs), manage Cds on utilities (because those are still pretty long), watch out for positioning and time their spells well unlike rest of the classes that can just spam away and forget and get carried by passives.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

I agree but there is more chance of a pig flying to mars than this happening. The game is dead, get over it imo. Time to let go. It is only going in one direction and that is towards skill-less spam.

The fact is people only want buffs for their classes because that is what anet has built into their community. The result is that never ending power creep is the future. It is a textbook example of how not to design a game.

If anyone says it is fun to fight vs classes such as thieves or rangers with perma dodge then they are a liar.

The proof is in the pudding as they say. GW2 is dead as far as competitive pvp is concerned. Give away money and stuff in chat and still nobody watches their “esports”. Also gw2 pvp died about 2 months after launch.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

(edited by Lordrosicky.5813)

in PvP

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Thief is a very OP class, it is just that other classes are even more OP.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in PvP

CptCuddles.8912

This pretty much sums up the entire game right now.

in PvP

duster.7013

All you get from raising cooldowns is lower skill cieling, especially if you do it for every class.

>muh spam buttons
Which is somehow worse than uncounterable “I win” buttons? As long as all classes have short cooldowns, that means the player who is consistantly the best wins, holding class matchups and stuff.

in PvP

CptCuddles.8912

All you get from raising cooldowns is lower skill cieling, especially if you do it for every class.

>muh spam buttons
Which is somehow worse than uncounterable “I win” buttons? As long as all classes have short cooldowns, that means the player who is consistantly the best wins, holding class matchups and stuff.

Actually no. The low cooldowns are very forgiving on inexperienced players who are less punished for mistiming their skills and having consistent access to blocks and stun breaks. This applies in the reverse scenario too, experienced players are less rewarded for landing skills and have less incentive to manage cooldowns. To sum it up, the margin for error is much wider in today’s state of balance.

in PvP

duster.7013

>muh spam buttons

Actually no. The low cooldowns are very forgiving on inexperienced players who are less punished for mistiming their skills and having consistent access to blocks and stun breaks. This applies in the reverse scenario too, experienced players are less rewarded for landing skills and have less incentive to manage cooldowns. To sum it up, the margin for error is much wider in today’s state of balance.

Skill floor doesn’t matter at all. Like, throw it into the garbage. Skill cieling is all that matters.

in PvP

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

This pretty much sums up the entire game right now.

Yes, Anet needs to radically roll back the powercreep that happened with HoT. Otherwise pvp will never be good.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in PvP

CptCuddles.8912

>muh spam buttons

Skill floor doesn’t matter at all. Like, throw it into the garbage. Skill cieling is all that matters.

So if inexperienced players are able to compete against highly skilled players that’s not a problem? That’s what’s happening now. It’s very easy to compete with skilled players and extremely difficult for those skilled players to take advantage of the skill ceiling in gw pvp. The number of people actually able to compete at that level is extremely small (I’m talking less than 1%).

There are diminishing returns. The way you’re looking at the situation you describe it as a linear relationship. That’s not the case.

in PvP

duster.7013

What matters is who wins silly, and the more you lower skill cieling the less likely the better player is to winning.

in PvP

CptCuddles.8912

What matters is who wins silly, and the more you lower skill cieling the less likely the better player is to winning.

You should apply to be a balance dev. Anet is looking for highly qualified and insightful talent such as yourself.

in PvP

duster.7013

You should apply to be a balance dev. Anet is looking for highly qualified and insightful talent such as yourself.

Lol is anything you said supposed to be more insightful? At the end of the day I probably know around 7 times more about comp gaming than you for real.

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Lol is anything you said supposed to be more insightful? At the end of the day I probably know around 7 times more about comp gaming than you for real.

Why?

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

OriOri.8724

That doesn’t mean you know anything about balance. Knowing about computer gaming and knowing how to actually balance an MMO are 2 entirely different things.

(Not saying you don’t, cause I honestly don’t care, but your logic is extremely flawed)

in PvP

Posted by: TheBandit.7031

TheBandit.7031

>muh spam buttons

Having higher cooldowns means you have less skills to hit. Something to consider is that while your cooldowns may be shorter, so are you opponents. So it doesn’t make much sense to say that there is a wider margin of error in today’s balance.
Think about like this, let’s I have a skill I can use 5 times in one fight and so does my opponent. Let’s also say my opponent is a skilled player who will likely hit all 5 attacks. To be at an equal level of skill I need to hit all 5 attacks. If we both had 4 attacks, I would only need hit 4 of them, which would be easier. If we only had 1 chance to use the skill, I only need to hit once to be at an equal footing against my more skilled opponent who can hit the skill very accurately.

What I’m trying to say is that lower cooldowns means more chances to hit for skilled players but more chances to miss for less skilled players.

in PvP

CptCuddles.8912

>muh spam buttons

Having higher cooldowns means you have less skills to hit. Something to consider is that while your cooldowns may be shorter, so are you opponents. So it doesn’t make much sense to say that there is a wider margin of error in today’s balance.
Think about like this, let’s I have a skill I can use 5 times in one fight and so does my opponent. Let’s also say my opponent is a skilled player who will likely hit all 5 attacks. To be at an equal level of skill I need to hit all 5 attacks. If we both had 4 attacks, I would only need hit 4 of them, which would be easier. If we only had 1 chance to use the skill, I only need to hit once to be at an equal footing against my more skilled opponent who can hit the skill very accurately.

What I’m trying to say is that lower cooldowns means more chances to hit for skilled players but more chances to miss for less skilled players.

In part, that’s true but read my response above about diminished returns.