AFKing During A Match?

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

Posted by: Lewis Burnell.2493

Lewis Burnell.2493

Q:

I had several matches recently where one player, who was on my team every time, would play for the first few minutes and if we didn’t secure the mid-point would go AFK and proceed to tell us how kitten we all were. He did this multiple matches and as you might expect, 4v5 matches become very difficult.

Matches can easily be turned around even if you’re 100 points adrift but some players just go instantly AFK when they think there’s no chance of winning.

Is there any way this new system prevents such behavior?

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

A:

Nope. The new system does nothing to discourage this, because there’s no feasible solution for it. Just report and hope the person gets banned eventually.

(edited by Lopez.7369)

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

Posted by: Tiale.2430

Tiale.2430

+1 for this.

Anet should create a report system for this.

Subdrop
SA Guardian

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

Posted by: Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Solution:
Better Reportsystem.
Someone being reported by all his teammates should call a GM who will end the match, banning the person acting like a kitten and wishing everyone a good next match.

all is vain – #BelieveInKarl – #EvanForPresident

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Solution:
Better Reportsystem.
Someone being reported by all his teammates should call a GM who will end the match, banning the person acting like a kitten and wishing everyone a good next match.

Way too easy to abuse though.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Way too easy to abuse though.

In what way?
GM is called if everyone reports.
Only GM can end the match + ban the player.

I don’t see anything you could abuse with that, if you wrongly report too often, you get a ban yourself, so noone will use it wrongly.

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

lordkrall.7241

So basically waste the GMs time?

Giving the direct ability to users to summon a GM is seldom not a good idea.

As for no one abusing it because risk of ban: That is simply not true, people are reporting others more or less all the time without any real reason despite the threat of being banned for doing so.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

Dwaynas Avatar.1562

So basically waste the GMs time?

GM gets paid for this lol, what else does he have to do than looking for people behaving wrong and punishing them for it?

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

lordkrall.7241

GMs does indeed get paid for policing the game.

But being able to basically summon a GM because you and your team happens to be bored or whatever is not really good for anyone.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

Dwaynas Avatar.1562

GMs does indeed get paid for policing the game.

But being able to basically summon a GM because you and your team happens to be bored or whatever is not really good for anyone.

Yeah, but if it would be clear that you get a ban for summoning GM wrongly? Not the “maybe”, but the “defenitly”.

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

lordkrall.7241

Which can create issues with people pretending to be AFK and then when it seems likely that people have reported, they start moving just in time for when the GM starts watching and as such the report will be seen as false.

I simply don’t think there is a secure enough way to get this to work to be honest.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Which can create issues with people pretending to be AFK and then when it seems likely that people have reported, they start moving just in time for when the GM starts watching and as such the report will be seen as false.

I simply don’t think there is a secure enough way to get this to work to be honest.

GM has gamelogs
so chat, etc…
Also, you wont know when the GM is watching

(edited by Dwaynas Avatar.1562)

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

lordkrall.7241

Indeed they do.
But I doubt it is as simple as just pressing a button and then immediately get access to said logs.

While you won’t know when a GM is watching it is rather beside the point.

Lets say player A is a bit of a kitten and decides to “go afk” for 3 minutes. Then decides to come back. Those 3 minutes are more than enough time for everyone to report player A but probably not enough time for a GM to turn up. Thus when the GM turns up player A is not AFK at that time, which could very well make it look like false reporting (which will waste even more time since they would have to go through logs and such.

It is also rather usual for people to talk in chat about reporting people and as such the supposed AFK:er can easily see that (if it is actually not AFK) and thus start moving when everyone have reported it.

Something should be done about AFK:ers but I do not think this is the right way to do it.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Indeed they do.
But I doubt it is as simple as just pressing a button and then immediately get access to said logs.

While you won’t know when a GM is watching it is rather beside the point.

Lets say player A is a bit of a kitten and decides to “go afk” for 3 minutes.

I thought this post is about someone acting like a kitten and
refusing to play + kittentalking on mapchat.
For afker’s this system won’t work that good indeed.

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

Posted by: Nitesky.6427

Nitesky.6427

A mechanic to solve this issue already exists, it’s called teamq.

On top of that, the new odds of victory system will disencourage premature rage quitting, because the loser team’s points will be counted in as well.

You would have to hire an army of new GMs if some1 had to rush in every time some kid starts raging in soloq. Of course they need to get paid for that. I’m sure you will happily pay subscription fees to fund all this.

In all seriousness, if you’re upset about random people acting weird, go find some friends and play teamq.

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

We need a team based vote kick (requiring 3 votes) that forces dishonored.

In a game by game basis this CAN be abused but then teams only put themselves in a 4v5 position making it undesirable unless necessary.

players will rage and fight but that’s nothing new. AFK players as well as trolls will deservingly suffer.

I guess there is the chance 3 trolls can queue kick players and feed other teams but feeding random groups you encounter only to take a hit to your stats seems redundant.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I hate those kinds of players as much as anyone else (if you think your team sucks that much, just leave the match altogether!), but this would be quite hard to police. If somebody gets into a rage-shouting match in the middle of a fight because the other player managed to goad him into it, is that player really afking? It’s one thing if the player outright stated that they’re not fighting anymore because “team sucks/X class is so OP/Skyhammer sucks”, but it can be quite difficult to tell in other scenarios.

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

Posted by: HamHat.5201

HamHat.5201

There should be a report option for this behavior, if the person is doing it every match the reports will add up.

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

That player wasn’t a mesmer by chance was it? Cause this sounds a lot like someone I had issues with on Friday.

Every single match I was in with said person, if we so much as fell 10 points behind
“sorry, can’t carry you”
“don’t want to play with children”
“children should be in school, gtfo”
and so on

Meanwhile s/he just afks in the base while the other 4 fight on. Super annoying/frustrating. Something needs to be done about those types of people.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

Posted by: glock.6590

glock.6590

Lol, if we get 3 capped while I’m 2v1 on treb , its a good sign to go afk. In the first 30 seconds of the match you can tell if your teammates have a brain or not.

6’4’’ Master Race. I am Above You.

AFKing During A Match?

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Nope. The new system does nothing to discourage this, because there’s no feasible solution for it. Just report and hope the person gets banned eventually.

Actually, the new system DOES address this with ladder-rating determined by how well your team performs vs. the expectation. If someone AFK’s and the team underperforms, everyone on the team is penalized for not reaching their expected value. However, the guy who keeps afking gets hurt EVERY game he plays, so will fall down the board relative to everyone else on the team. Eventually, this kind of player will find himself with much worse players, while everyone else will move away from him in ratings and stop being teamed with him.

TLDR: You ratings are no longer determined by just wins/losses, so by going AFK when you know you are going to lose, you are hurting yourself far more than just playing on. The net affect is AFK-ers fall into the basement.

(edited by BlackBeard.2873)