Bring Back The Pole - Rather, Just DO it.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Profession Based MMR Pole Source Thread

The idea is that, just because you are a great mesmer, doesn’t mean you know how to play a revenant well. If the professions were locked we could place you into a match that reflects your skill with that class.

If we lock characters on queue, we can do things like use profession-specific MMR, have profession leaderboards, etc.

If professions aren’t locked when you queue, then people would queue on a low MMR profession, then switch to their main profession before the match starts in order to game matchmaking. This is why we cannot currently use profession MMR.

A) Implement profession based locked queuing.
B) Profession based MMR only.
B) Remove class stacking.

Anet needs to just make this happen already.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

How will your division be calculated though? Do you get several leaderboards and such?

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

How will your division be calculated though? Do you get several leaderboards and such?

Anet never went into detail because it never happened but there would be (possibly implemented) at least 1 additional Profession Leaderboard that list your ranking among all the Guardians, Elementalists, Engineers, etc, in the game. (a tab of sorts)

If I were to make a Thief and I never played a Thief, that profession’s Division is shown after placements per usual. Of which, it’ll probably be Bronze or Silver because i’m a really bad Thief. But when I swap to my Guardian it will show Plat rating next to the class per usual.

My account could just show the highest division among all the classes, so that could be the single leaderboard we all use currently.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

Anet never went into detail because it never happened but there would be (possibly implemented) at least 1 additional Profession Leaderboard that list your ranking among all the Guardians, Elementalists, Engineers, etc, in the game.

If I were to make a Thief and I never played a Thief, that profession’s Division is shown after placements per usual. Of which, it’ll probably be Bronze or Silver because i’m a really bad Thief. But when I swap to my Guardian it will show Plat rating next to the class per usual.

My account could just show the highest division among all the classes, so that could be the single leaderboard we all use currently.

That sounds good. I do think the ease of gaming the matchmaking currently is hilarious though. People think individual class MMR will affect matchmaking speed though. Its always a battle between match quality and match quantity I guess

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

Anet never went into detail because it never happened but there would be (possibly implemented) at least 1 additional Profession Leaderboard that list your ranking among all the Guardians, Elementalists, Engineers, etc, in the game.

That sounds good. I do think the ease of gaming the matchmaking currently is hilarious though. People think individual class MMR will affect matchmaking speed though. Its always a battle between match quality and match quantity I guess

And that’s the thing I speculate… I have seen Anet completely remove all rules from the system to the point where everyone got 5 to 10 second queue times (forgot when this was). So speed of grabbing a match isn’t the issue, it’s whether or not these matches are of quality… can it really be worse than it already is? Removing class stacking alone should pay for itself.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Per profession leaderbords with locking on Q ….
the matchmaker already avoids class stacking heavily. (It still happens due to large class availibiity diffrence) but most of my matches are not stacked. In fact they tend to be mirror matches or close to it. While i like the play with a friend aspect very much pure solo Q would be the way to go. MMR measuring would become better …

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in PvP

Posted by: Aden.9306

Aden.9306

It would be nice to have some variety in the seasons, but i think the real culprit is out of 10 people in a match up there is a bigger MMR disparity than it should. Probably in an attempt to balance the team compositions, creating blowout outcomes.

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

yes it seems that team composition was added and has a very high impact affecting MMR diffrence. But MMR balance has more impact then class balance unless we talk about lower then 200 MMR diffrence. But a single player 500 below the best one can result in a blowout regardless of team composition. So both is important but if MMR diffrence goes over 200 then it starts to be a no go if you want balanced matches.
And if a player is not measured for the class he plays, the system can’t know the actuall MMR. I know it from me. While i can stand in platin with ele i don´t dare to say i am more then silver with annything else. I don´t swap becaus it would be unfair for the team….

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

I wouldn’t be opposed to trying something new like that.

I will say on a side note though, there is absolutely no reason why unranked shouldn’t have individual class MMR. No one farms unranked, no one cares to exploit the match making there, playing ranked is far far more rewards anyway. Unranked should be individual class MMR for sure, for the sake of good practice. It’s a real pain when a player’s Unranked MMR goes through the roof from running guild teams and doing pvp missions on mains. It results in a bad situation for that player and everyone on his team when he decides to log in and practice on something he knows nothing about but the algorithm is placing him as a high MMR main that should be able to 1v2 and 1v3 carry matches, yet there he is getting the kitten kicked out of him in every team fight and every 1v1 because he’s trying to learn a new class. All the while, kittening off everyone else in the team who doesn’t understand why they are being 500 – 40’d

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

in PvP

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I would be very happy having a class based MMr, then I wouldn’t feel as bad taking my ele or thief into matches and just slaughtering my rank because it would be tied to them alone.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Class based MMR would result in a lot more match manipulation. If someone is playing on a class that isn’t their highest rated, and they get matched with someone they don’t like, they will throw. This already happens to some degree without separate ratings. It would be like mixing the Unrated and Rated queues. Some players would be invested in winning, while others would not. Anet could punish players who do it, but it’s hard to prove, and they already don’t punish the cut and dry stuff, so I wouldn’t expect it to work out.

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

in PvP

Posted by: SolarDragon.7063

SolarDragon.7063

I would like class locking, maybe have a 1 2 3 system when queueing so that it doesn’t take forever to find non stacked compositions though.

in PvP

Posted by: Allarius.5670

Allarius.5670

Okay, so what if ranked also …

(1) Locked all visuals for allied and opposing players into standard models without a toggle option (you would still see your character as is)

(2) Masked all player names with random preset alternatives (similar to team names)

(3) Revealed visuals and names only at the final victory screen

(4) Locked players into bases until after the start of the match

(5) Removed duo-queue if needed

(6) Locked profession on queing without swap option

(7) Removed profession stacking if needed

Why must players game the system? This is why we cannot have nice things.

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

+1 to Allarius. 1 is arguable if realy needed (it´s somethign if we talk ESL level) and 7 must not be overstreched the gamefinder should just avoid single sided stacking unless MMR diffrence gets too much.

in PvP

Posted by: RedZebra.2345

RedZebra.2345

(2) (3) players will find ways around it (ex report and see main account) (4) ? (5) i only play solo but have np with duo (6)i’d love this but y that’s personal other’s don’t

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

(2) (3) players will find ways around it (ex report and see main account)

Could remove the report system. Doesn’t work anyway amirite? Kappa

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: RedZebra.2345

RedZebra.2345

was an example players are inventive