Casuals need fixes for legendary

in PvP

Posted by: wanderguy.5627

wanderguy.5627

The way leagues are atm, it’s impossible for a casual player like myself to get the legendary backpack. The problem lies in part IV of the " Year of the Ascension" line. The achievement “league elite” requires you to pass 4 league division thresholds. That would require you to pass ruby tier which is impossible as the league pvp exists right now, for an admitted casual player.

My favored possible solution would be to remove tier loss until legendary, or diamond. That would allow most players to acquire the backpack eventually. And the announcement post for the league seasons and the legendary backpack outright promised that anyone could eventually earn the back piece.

Or you could progressively lower the requirements each new season. As it is right now, a casual cannot pass ruby tier without someone to carry them, or cheating the heavily flawed mmr system.

in PvP

Posted by: Firebird.8324

Firebird.8324

You clearly don’t need a legendary item for hard core pvpers if you are “admittedly” a casual pvper. Even the exotic backpack is called, “Elite’s Wings of Glory”. This is the same as saying, “I want Anet to make it so I don’t have to do world completion to get a regular legendary, it’s too harrrrddd” and obviously this would undermine people who go through the effort to complete that.

Over Powered Necro [dk] (Bird of Fire)
One spam to rule them all!
Mains Power Necro for team Radioactive[dk]

in PvP

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

No, its not for the casual player. Theres plenty of Back Pieces for casual players. This is for the Best @ PVP to get.

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

in PvP

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I believe the concern here is with the current lack of available legendary tier back pieces, Firebird. So..you choices are play fractals or play pvp, and if I understand correctly, there is something amiss with the fractal option.

Honestly, as a casual player myself, I don’t have an issue with that particular meta requirement. Stubborn determination will get you there. It also forces you to improve as you play. (I know, blasphemy, right? Should be doing that anyway just by choosing the play)

My concern is more them resetting the achievements when the next league rolls around. If I manage to complete the meta for “Year of the Ascension Part I” it had better well stay done. So I can work on “Year of the Ascension Part II” when the next league starts. Because that 15 day requirement for ‘Daily League Participator’ is just annoying. Not to mention, between the 4 achievements, that’s 60 days of play (if all 4 are 15 days each), and this first league is only 56 days long. Hmph. (Yes, I remember they said this is supposed to require more than one season, that’s beside the point)

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

in PvP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

No, its not for the casual player. Theres plenty of Back Pieces for casual players. This is for the Best @ PVP to get.

insert buzzer sound here

Wrong!

“The Ascension is designed to reward investment in PvP by any player "
source

any player

“Any player” != PvP Elite

The Elite will just get it faster. And that’s as it should be.

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

I dont agree with the everyone deserves a ribbon that is going with the casual crowd. Though i agree that the PvP season system needs changed.

We are still having many people who were really good players back in the team Que and Solo que not engage in the PvP season.

I dont know how you can call these “Leagues” when its simply a grind to ruby+ then 2-3 months later start another season and put everyone back to Amber. It really makes no sense unless you simply want people to grind out more games.

Ive already seen many people just not play PvP ranked and go do quick unranked matches for dailies.

No everyone shouldnt be able to get the legendary back piece but The “League” system and ranks of the players need to better reflect a players skill.

in PvP

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

insert buzzer sound here

Wrong!

source

any player

What anet says != what the game needs.
peace.

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

in PvP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

insert buzzer sound here

Wrong!

source

any player

What anet says != what the game needs.
peace.

While I can agree that the assorted modes should have assorted exclusive items, something that isn’t entirely cosmetic (such as finishers, minis, armor or weapon skins) isn’t something I would agree with. If the back piece were an exclusive skin, sure. But that its one of only two current legendary tier options? Nope.

in PvP

Firebird.8324

insert buzzer sound here

Wrong!

source

any player

DO YOU REALLY want to start quoting Arenanet on things??
We strongly believe that regular balance updates are one of the key pillars of building a successful competitive game. As such, prior to each season, there will be a balance update. League play will generally begin about two weeks after a balance update to ensure that the metagame has stabilized in an appropriate manner. Balance will be closely monitored throughout the season with the goal of having solid balance going into the postseason tournaments.

in PvP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

insert buzzer sound here

Wrong!

source

any player

We strongly believe that regular balance updates are one of the key pillars of building a successful competitive game. As such, prior to each season, there will be a balance update. League play will generally begin about two weeks after a balance update to ensure that the metagame has stabilized in an appropriate manner. Balance will be closely monitored throughout the season with the goal of having solid balance going into the postseason tournaments.

unlady-like snort

Oh, you want to go into balance. snicker We all know better than to take that at face value. Hell….all the way back to GW1….

in PvP

Posted by: hurrado.2346

hurrado.2346

I don’t think it’s that huge of a burden to get to diamond. However I do have a problem with how that achievement works. It states that you need to cross 4 division tiers in a season, so it should be achievable when reaching diamond even in this season, that means that it still should count division progress despite prior achievements gating that progress… As getting to diamond is technically meeting the requirements for that achievement regardless of when you do it.

in PvP

Posted by: Floplag.4032

Floplag.4032

I kinda lol’d at this really.
With the amount of exploitation and other nonsense going on, this is hardly a measure of skill or anything “best”.

in PvP

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

Why don’t you inform yourself before?

The achievments are NEVER reset.

That means that in order to get the precursor, you’ll just need to hit twice Ruby and twice Sapphire during all 4 seasons. That’s it.

Anet designed the system in a way such that ALL players, even the worst 11111 pve hero, will be able to get it just by farming PvP.

in PvP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I wouldn’t say that. They have, and do, archive versions of achievements and ‘restart’ them for some content. There isn’t anything saying they will for the PvP achievements related to the league; however, given that this is the first season, anything is possible. Considering how acquisition of the back piece is structured, I wouldn’t think they would, but wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong about what I thought they’d do.

in PvP

Galandil.9641

I wouldn’t say that. They have, and do, archive versions of achievements and ‘restart’ them for some content. There isn’t anything saying they will for the PvP achievements related to the league; however, given that this is the first season, anything is possible. Considering how acquisition of the back piece is structured, I wouldn’t think they would, but wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong about what I thought they’d do.

I insist on informing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3vocj9/psa_the_pvp_legendary_backpack_does_not_require/cxqgqbv

in PvP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I insist on informing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3vocj9/psa_the_pvp_legendary_backpack_does_not_require/cxqgqbv

Ah yes reddit….. because all live there, right?

You could have just said “Hugh said they don’t reset” and linked that to begin with ya know. Would have been so much easier.

in PvP

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Tbh,if you arn’t up to getting to legendary you dont deserve the backback..easy as that.Im 7 pips from diamond but i doubt i get legendary,if so thats my own fault.It shouldnt be handed out like that.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

The way leagues are atm, it’s impossible for a casual player like myself to get the legendary backpack. The problem lies in part IV of the " Year of the Ascension" line. The achievement “league elite” requires you to pass 4 league division thresholds. That would require you to pass ruby tier which is impossible as the league pvp exists right now, for an admitted casual player.

That achievement doesn’t work the way you think. It is 4 incremental league thresholds. So for example, in part 2 of the year of ascension line, you need to cross 2 divisions. Since you will already have crossed Amber to Emerald, you now need to cross both both Emerald and Sapphire and be in Ruby to get that achievement.

Anyway, as others have said, the achievements carry over season to season. As long as you can make it to Ruby, you’ll be able to complete the backpiece by the end of season 3.

in PvP

Galandil.9641

Anyway, as others have said, the achievements carry over season to season. As long as you can make it to Ruby, you’ll be able to complete the backpiece by the end of season 3.

No, in order to get it at the end of season 3 you need 2 Rubies + 1 Diamond (10 division thresholds). ^^

in PvP

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

How many seasons are there? 3 or 4? If it’s 4, u just need to get ruby in all of them and should be ok i think?

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

The way leagues are atm, it’s impossible for a casual player like myself to get the legendary backpack.

Why would you expect to get a legendary as a casual player?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

@morrolan besides these leagues being a huge exploitfest and a joke..nothing to do with any skill what so ever, i understand his question because PvP players are not restricted in any way shape or form from getting let’s say the fractal backpack. Nothing resets there. On the other hand here it resets and forces you to exploit in order to get the backpack.

The question is how many seasons are this year. If there are 4 seasons it should be ok for anyone to get them as long as they get to ruby which is easy to get to. If not, well….for most ppl it will be impossible to get because of the resets, which make things unfair.

in PvP

Galandil.9641

How many seasons are there? 3 or 4? If it’s 4, u just need to get ruby in all of them and should be ok i think?

4 seasons, 2 Ruby + 2 Sapphire are enough. Or 3 Ruby + 1 Emerald, etc.

in PvP

Firebird.8324

@morrolan besides these leagues being a huge exploitfest and a joke..nothing to do with any skill what so ever, i understand his question because PvP players are not restricted in any way shape or form from getting let’s say the fractal backpack. Nothing resets there. On the other hand here it resets and forces you to exploit in order to get the backpack.

The question is how many seasons are this year. If there are 4 seasons it should be ok for anyone to get them as long as they get to ruby which is easy to get to. If not, well….for most ppl it will be impossible to get because of the resets, which make things unfair.

Not everyone exploits, I got legend by solo queuing, duo queuing, and trio queuing, with those of the same or similar divisions. The real exploit is rerolling flavor of the month BS like Chronobunker just to AFK on point through games and get pips as easily as a seasoned ESL veteran playing at the top of his game. BALANCE ANET, BALANCE.

in PvP

Posted by: ImdA.4701

ImdA.4701

My favored possible solution would be to remove tier loss until legendary, or diamond.

I lold. Thats a terrible idea, casuals should not be allowed to get this legendary anyway.

in PvP

Posted by: Ruru.1302

Ruru.1302

There needs to be some content that only the highest level players can achieve. Not all content is for casuals. This is a good thing.

mag
[Mada] Apocryfia

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

The mindblowing irony here is players stick around a game because they hear about a tough achievement they set out to accomplish: hone their skills, refine tactics, and obtain the reward but other players instead of meeting the content’s bar (giving us motivation to improve which is where much of the fun comes in) they want the bar lowered to meet their skill level.

Lots of skill based weapon and armor skins need to be in the game so other players think, “I want that!” and set out and put forth the effort to earn it.

in PvP

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

You clearly don’t need a legendary item for hard core pvpers if you are “admittedly” a casual pvper.

Wrong.

No, its not for the casual player.

Wrong.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

you can cross 4 divisions over 2 seasons.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

4 seasons, 2 Ruby + 2 Sapphire are enough. Or 3 Ruby + 1 Emerald, etc.

as a casual player myself this is my goal.

by the way, they deliberately FAILED to mention that the 4 sets of achievements must be completed within a year.

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

The mindblowing irony here is players stick around a game because they hear about a tough achievement they set out to accomplish: hone their skills, refine tactics, and obtain the reward but other players instead of meeting the content’s bar (giving us motivation to improve which is where much of the fun comes in) they want the bar lowered to meet their skill level.

Lots of skill based weapon and armor skins need to be in the game so other players think, “I want that!” and set out and put forth the effort to earn it.

I don’t know about mindblowing. Honestly, it seems utterly pedestrian to me.

It’s bizarre, though, seeing as you can make your way to Ruby each season purely through playing enough games. It’s nowhere near actually hard if you have a faint understanding of how the game works.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

(edited by Sarrs.4831)

in PvP

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

The way leagues are atm, it’s impossible for a casual player like myself to get the legendary backpack.

By design, no case to answer.

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

Yes, but there is a timing problem. There will only be four seasons, right? And you can’t advance a later tier without completing the earlier one, right? And there is a time-locked requirement, meaning you can’t possibly complete more than two tiers per season, I believe?

So chances are a lot of people won’t find themselves on the Tier 4 achievements until the 4th league season, and thus would HAVE to complete the objective within that season if they want it cleared at all.

I’m just seeing a disaster waiting to happen on this one. I am seeing a LOT of players, thousands perhaps, that work diligently at their own pace towards the goal, and then when the last round comes around “oops, we’re pooling the plug on this one guys, too bad for you.”

It will NOT go well for ANet if they don’t have a contingency plan.

done by now.”

in PvP

Sarrs.4831

Yes, but there is a timing problem. There will only be four seasons, right? And you can’t advance a later tier without completing the earlier one, right? And there is a time-locked requirement, meaning you can’t possibly complete more than two tiers per season, I believe?

There is a timegate but it is not as you say.

The timegate is the 15-day Daily League Participator achievement. There are no other timegates.

As per the wiki, the season started on the 1st of December and will end on the 25th; the season will therefore last for 56 days. It is thus possible for you to have unlocked and completed every Year of Ascension achievement except the fourth set of Daily League Participator achievements, which you would have 11/15 for- though you would need to make hardcore progress on your Leagues to do this, needing you to get at least Legendary*2. Unlocking T4 by the end of Season 2 would be very comfortable, as you only need to push to Ruby twice to get there.

Also some of the achievements don’t need you to push the meta to push the next tier of achievement; the two in particular I can think of are the Essence lines and the Division line.

So chances are a lot of people won’t find themselves on the Tier 4 achievements until the 4th league season, and thus would HAVE to complete the objective within that season if they want it cleared at all.

You’re assuming that everyone plays at the same pace as you do. I find the more realistic blocker to be League progress overall rather than the timegate.

The idea of someone who simultaneously enjoys Ranked play enough to want to push the Legendary while not being able to push Daily Participator or League Divisions over what is presumably 220 days of Leagues is quite perplexing.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

(edited by Sarrs.4831)

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

The timegate is the 15-day Daily League Participator achievement. There are no other timegates.

Yes, but say you get from amber to diamond all within the first few days of the first league, don’t you gain zero credit towards the later tiers “clear four division” achievements until you complete the previous tiers entirely?

It’s a very confusing system.

The idea of someone who simultaneously enjoys Ranked play enough to want to push the Legendary while not being able to push Daily Participator or League Divisions over what is presumably 220 days of Leagues is quite perplexing.

You need to enjoy ranked play exactly “zero amount” in order to want to progress the Legendary. The two things have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with each other. Now, if there were alternate methods of earning the wings, then you would have a point, but so far they haven’t announced any (that might have to change, of course).

done by now.”

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

I’m just seeing a disaster waiting to happen on this one. I am seeing a LOT of players, thousands perhaps, that work diligently at their own pace towards the goal, and then when the last round comes around “oops, we’re pooling the plug on this one guys, too bad for you.”

It will NOT go well for ANet if they don’t have a contingency plan.

what are you talking about?

i am a casual pvp player, i only play 1 or 3 ranked games per day. i just reached ruby recently.

i already compelted part 1 and part 2 of the year of the ascension achievements.
just started on the part 3 of the year of the ascension achievements.
i expect to complete most of part 3, except for the cross 3 divisions part, which i will complete in season 2. and will work on completing most of part 4 in season 2.

however, for part 4, we need to cross 4 divisions, that i will need to participate in both season 3 and season 4 to complete that.

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

i am a casual pvp player, i only play 1 or 3 ranked games per day. i just reached ruby recently.

First, 1-3 matches per day is not “casual.” “Casual” would be 1-3 matches per week. If that. Playing PvP every day is fairly invested in the game type, although some certainly play more than that. Second, individual experiences tend to vary considerably. I haven’t done a lot of PvP since the Wintersday patch, but I typically gain two pips, then lose one or two before gaining another, so actual forward progress is barely there. It’s not something you can really do anything about, it’s just the whims of solo queue.

however, for part 4, we need to cross 4 divisions, that i will need to participate in both season 3 and season 4 to complete that.

Right, and if something prevents you from completing the T3 achievement before Season 4 starts, then you’d only have that one season to complete the 4-divising thing.

done by now.”

in PvP

Sarrs.4831

Yes, but say you get from amber to diamond all within the first few days of the first league, don’t you gain zero credit towards the later tiers “clear four division” achievements until you complete the previous tiers entirely?

No, you do get credit. If you read the rest of my post, you would have read this.

You need to enjoy ranked play exactly “zero amount” in order to want to progress the Legendary. The two things have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with each other. Now, if there were alternate methods of earning the wings, then you would have a point, but so far they haven’t announced any (that might have to change, of course).

Blah blah blah I’m forced to do PvP for a cosmetic thing that doesn’t matter nobody cares Ohoni.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Problem is, you get league progress not by being the best, but simply from spending the most time at it. There’s a ton of people that don’t know the basics of PvP and are ruby ranked simply through sheer force of number of games.

I’m waiting for the news next tuesday, but honestly as it is, being whatever rank is inconsequential. Unlike mobas where you know that if you hit a high tier player you’re in for some hurt, in here i really don’t see difference, especially with how the current meta is.
I mean you look at a pro-game and you see nothing, and i repeat NOTHING that you don’t see in Pug matches, if anything in the last one i watched the teams made rookie errors, from abandoning a node to pursue (and fail) a kill to then dismissing the node entirely, allowing the other team to get a point lead, after a full 3 minutes prelude of a 0-0 match, really exciting.

Since Leagues and to an extent HoT, PvP is in a dreary state, probably at its lowest point since reward tracks were introduced.
Surprisingly, its saving grace has been (for me) Stronghold. At least there you can play around the meta and bunkers aren’t that useful.
If i was Anet, i’d start marketing the pro-league around Stronghold instead of Conquest.

Anyhow, its not that you’re not right, the back is for pvp-focused people, but the state of the game denies any credible claims to it being geared to truly good players.

in PvP

Galandil.9641

At least there you can play around the meta and bunkers aren’t that useful.

I hope you’re kidding. Stronghold is way more broken than Conquest atm.

in PvP

Sarrs.4831

I hope you’re kidding. Stronghold is way more broken than Conquest atm.

It’s broken in a new and exciting way!

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

With the upcoming changes to how divisions will work, I’d say there might actually be more cause for concern for casual PvP’ers trying to get the Legendary backpack. If divisions become harder to work through in order for it to better reflect a player’s skill, then it’s more likely that players may end up being “stuck” in Emerald or Sapphire.

One way to get around that would be to change the requirement from divisions crossed to tiers crossed. For example, instead of crossing 3 divisions for Part III, you instead need to cross 15 tiers, which roughly corresponds to 3 divisions from Amber up to early Ruby. What’s more, because you can still gain progress towards the achievement even though you end up on a losing streak (because then you drop down a tier and gain credit again when you manage to get back on a winning streak) there’s less frustration and anger at “bad matchmaking” since attaining higher divisions simply becomes a symbol of status rather than a goal that must be achieved for the Legendary.

And for those who are saying this will result in people throwing matches in order to drop tiers to farm it, this is already happening anyway with people deliberately trying to tank their MMR. What’s more, there is still the achievement that requires you to win a certain number of matches, so deliberately losing matches would mean you’d be falling behind on that achievement.

in PvP

Sarrs.4831

What’s more, because you can still gain progress towards the achievement even though you end up on a losing streak (because then you drop down a tier and gain credit again when you manage to get back on a winning streak) there’s less frustration and anger at “bad matchmaking” since attaining higher divisions simply becomes a symbol of status rather than a goal that must be achieved for the Legendary.

If what you propose were to work the same way as current tier rewards in ruby+, this is not how it would work.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

Zaxares.5419

Hmm, I only just reached Ruby division and have yet to advance any tiers. Can you elaborate how the system works currently?

in PvP

Galandil.9641

Hmm, I only just reached Ruby division and have yet to advance any tiers. Can you elaborate how the system works currently?

Check the next part.

If you’re ruby, you have completed the League Recruit in Part I and League Veteran in Part II, even if you didn’t finish yet all Part I.

in PvP

Posted by: Schurge.5194

Schurge.5194

Envy is a curious thing. People are playing the game having fun and then when they see that there is something that they can’t get they are upset and cease to have fun.

Back pieces are inconsequential stat wise. No build will be made or broken by legendary back pieces. It doesn’t matter that PvP is necessary for a legendary back piece because the back piece is unnecessary. PvP Achievements are few and far between and also unnecessary to unlock Achievement gear.

It must suck to measure your life by what you don’t have.

Champion Phantom
We are not friends.

in PvP

Posted by: Interpretor.3091

Interpretor.3091

insert buzzer sound here

Wrong!

source

any player

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

No, you do get credit. If you read the rest of my post, you would have read this.

Blah blah blah I’m forced to do PvP for a cosmetic thing that doesn’t matter nobody cares Ohoni.

He did this for Legendary Armour too, I swear he just refuses to do anything in order to look pretty.

in PvP

Zaxares.5419

Check the next part.

If you’re ruby, you have completed the League Recruit in Part I and League Veteran in Part II, even if you didn’t finish yet all Part I.

In that case I’m a bit confused by what he was trying to say. Yes, it’s possible to start working on other achievements in the later Parts despite not having completed previous Parts (and in fact I actually handicapped myself a bit by deliberately not completing Part I in case it locked out all the profession achieves, since I wanted to farm them all for the AP), but how does that affect my proposal?

in PvP

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

I’m a 100% solo quer and made it to diamond tier, with win streak bonuses added in next season, getting past ruby for people shouldn’t be too big of a problem if you’re at least decent in 1 meta or semi meta class/build.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que