Feeling helpless in PvP...

in PvP

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

So this is becoming a trend for me now…

The game starts, I go far and cap it. My team loses mid and loses home to the enemy roamer. I go mid to snatch it, but 2 people are there. I go home to cap it back and at this moment the enemy roamer caps far. Also, an enemy or two come from mid to our home to cap it, so I have to run. I go to mid, but my team is outnumbered there and the fight is pretty much lost.

And so my team balanced around being 2-capped and 3-capped the entire game, losing all team fights and me, the roamer, always being chased by at least 2 people or a single hard counter like an engie.

What should I do? I have absolutely no impact on the game, the team dies and I can’t help them in a big team fight, because… well, I’m a Thief.

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

Lol welcome to the life of a solo player in GW2, one thing to keep in mind is that you will lose over 50% of your matches as solo player..no matter what you do or play

in PvP

Posted by: Royal.2693

Royal.2693

Help your team instead of trying to be a solo hero.

in PvP

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

in my opinion there are some class, profs that works better in solo. A d/d ele or a cele engi or also a condition engi or some warrior can work well becouse they can adapt to different roles with the same build ( home pointer, team fighting … also far alone ..) instead something more specialized like a thief is more bound to a team game

in PvP

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

Don’t play thief! Almost every other class can adapt and do a better job when there is no team work involved

Thief might not be as strong as last year
but they’re a lot stronger
than they will be next year!

in PvP

Supreme.3164

Pls OP..play turret engi

in PvP

Posted by: NitroApe.9104

NitroApe.9104

How about not doing a useless far cap in the beginning of the game?

in PvP

Posted by: SobeSoul.6910

SobeSoul.6910

Lol welcome to the life of a solo player in GW2, one thing to keep in mind is that you will lose over 50% of your matches as solo player..no matter what you do or play

Not true. I am around 60% winrate solo queuing. People just need L2P maps. You can even lose every fight you are in and win matches if you know what to do.

in PvP

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Not true. I am around 60% winrate solo queuing. People just need L2P maps. You can even lose every fight you are in and win matches if you know what to do.

With MMR,DC’s, random specs match up,players giving up, it’s not a l2p map issue you got the lucky end.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in PvP

Posted by: Nathaniel.4905

Nathaniel.4905

The game starts, I go far and cap it.
well, I’m a Thief.

Far caps should only be done when agreed upon, and never done Solo. You would be better going home at the jump and help out in case they do a 3-2 split on your home node.

If you want to far cap, then take one more, stealth stack, and get the preemptive jump on them. Otherwise, you are going to die, and by the time you respawn you are late on the rotation.

Rick Grimes Beard-The Guardian you need.
“Corralll!”

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

The game starts, I go far and cap it. My team loses mid and loses home to the enemy roamer.

You discerned the problem yourself. Stop doing this and use your brains instead.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

With MMR,DC’s, random specs match up,players giving up, it’s not a l2p map issue you got the lucky end.

Not really. 4v5s are evenly distributed. Players only give up when the game is already lost. Random specs are also even distributed.

It is a l2p issue when there’s a healthy amount of players solo queuing and attaining 60% win rates.

in PvP

Supreme.3164

Not really. 4v5s are evenly distributed. Players only give up when the game is already lost. Random specs are also even distributed.

It is a l2p issue when there’s a healthy amount of players solo queuing and attaining 60% win rates.

I see the majority complaining here, you can even find post from TOP players(@5Gauge rings a bell ?) complaining about poor matchmaking…do they need to L2P too?

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

Ask Chaith what his winrate is. No one has said matchmaking is perfect. I’m saying there are a lot of people who complain about it who could use their time more wisely by actually learning how to win.

in PvP

Posted by: SPESHAL.9106

SPESHAL.9106

The game isn’t really friendly to newcomers or casual players.

Some of it is do to the depth of the game and complex mechanics…which actually make the game great.

However, they exacerbate the problem by pitting brand new players against experienced players in PvP. Plus, they put premades against solo players, which is just crazy.

Think of any other game where you’re inexperienced and solo. Then imagine that the people in charge say you have to play against experienced players and even play against organized, experienced teams. It’ can get very frustrating for a new player fast.

This is probably one of the reasons this game’s popularity hasn’t taken off. You rarely see new players that become regulars. It’s mainly old school players and a constant stream of new tire kickers.

in PvP

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

You could try not capping far to begin the game and actually help your team at mid. You only need to hold 2 points the majority of the game to win. As thief I would start with home. If an enemy comes for your home it’s usually just one and as thief you should have a good chance 1v1.

Communicate with your team. Don’t just go out there and do whatever you feel like without letting them know.

in PvP

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

No way. I’m pretty new to pvp and have over 50% win rate doing nothing but solo queue. Just need some common sense and a class you’re comfortable with. You should at worst hover close to 50%. It is a lot of luck based on what the RNG gods give you as teammates but if you play well you should have an edge on it.

in PvP

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Engi doesn’t counter thief unless it’s condi and you hit static shield and such.

I don’t understand how your split works. You send 1 close 1 far 3 mid? And enemy does the exact same thing? Like every single time?
Are you sure they aren’t just going 1 close 4 mid and with your split you force a temporary 3v4 at the mid?

Also don’t assume your close guy can win the 1v1 if they push for it. Maybe he is a mesmer and the enemy thief just lol shortbow spam him to death.

It’s better to just +1 him to end it quickly then you can both snowball to mid and have a 5v4 situation on your side, which can guarantee a double cap at start. Then you can either match numbers depending on how they react or just simply push far with 2 and hope they are stupid enough to get farmed the whole match. You could also go straight to far after helping close but considering the respawn you will just get 2v2 on their node and that’s a bad thing to do!

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

Engie counters thief.

in PvP

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

Not only engie counters thief! Thief is not meant to win 1v1 but to create uneven situations. So read the map and go decap if free or go help where you can be the +1

Thief might not be as strong as last year
but they’re a lot stronger
than they will be next year!

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

Lets analyze your issue shall we?

You push far early as thief regardeless of your comp right?

To make a far push effective you need at least some sustain in mid. Since they have to survive a 3v4 for about a minute untill the home capper joins mid. If your team doesnt have enough sustain YOU are the main reason your team is losing.

in PvP

Posted by: Truthbearer.9708

Truthbearer.9708

The problem is you OP. You’re a thief, so use your mobility to 1+ your team’s fights. Make sure home gets capped safely and help your team at mid. Focus squishies, stomp with blinds/stealth, interrupt enemy stomps, share boons with allies, ress them with stealth, etc.

If you’re going to mid after half your team died, don’t bother. Most likely your team is losing all team fights, because you’re off somewhere wandering around and it’s a 4v5 or 3v4 at mid. Also, keep in mind you don’t need to fully cap a point, just decap and go help your team.

in PvP

Posted by: Chobiko.9182

Chobiko.9182

I’m halfway with the crowd here. I have played enough solo queues as a thief to know when it works and when it doesn’t. First off you should not use a dp/sb build, instead go for something like the sd/sb meta. Secondly, you do “class math” at the beginning of the fight. You see which classes counter which and how the overall picture looks for your team vs. their team (this is guesswork, but you’ll find that it’s often spot on). Thirdly, have a counter class at handy. If you play a thief, always have a medi guardian ready to swap in matches where you see your thief is not gonna do it. You can swap classes during the 1 minute 30s before the match starts. I also recommend having a shoutbow war, cele ele, or cele engi/turret engi whichever you prefer at hand for those matchups where it looks really bad (although personally I never go wrong with my medi guard unless there’s already 2 guards on the team, in which case you are usually safe to run as a thief anyway).

In the end, thief is hard to solo queue because you rely on team play. But if you have maps like khylo, temple, skyhammer, and sometimes niflhel then playing as a thief doing far decap can work quite well. Remember, only decap unless it’s safe to cap and your team doesn’t need you in a fight.

in PvP

YuiRS.8129

Lets analyze your issue shall we?

You push far early as thief regardeless of your comp right?

To make a far push effective you need at least some sustain in mid. Since they have to survive a 3v4 for about a minute untill the home capper joins mid. If your team doesnt have enough sustain YOU are the main reason your team is losing.

But I don’t actually contribute that much to a fight. All I can do is throw in poison and cluster bombs until somebody gets low to burst them down with D/P, which may never happen. Not only that, but a good team with kill me instantly if 2-3 players focus me. I don’t see big players participating in large fights often.

in PvP

YuiRS.8129

I’m halfway with the crowd here. I have played enough solo queues as a thief to know when it works and when it doesn’t. First off you should not use a dp/sb build, instead go for something like the sd/sb meta. Secondly, you do “class math” at the beginning of the fight. You see which classes counter which and how the overall picture looks for your team vs. their team (this is guesswork, but you’ll find that it’s often spot on). Thirdly, have a counter class at handy. If you play a thief, always have a medi guardian ready to swap in matches where you see your thief is not gonna do it. You can swap classes during the 1 minute 30s before the match starts. I also recommend having a shoutbow war, cele ele, or cele engi/turret engi whichever you prefer at hand for those matchups where it looks really bad (although personally I never go wrong with my medi guard unless there’s already 2 guards on the team, in which case you are usually safe to run as a thief anyway).

In the end, thief is hard to solo queue because you rely on team play. But if you have maps like khylo, temple, skyhammer, and sometimes niflhel then playing as a thief doing far decap can work quite well. Remember, only decap unless it’s safe to cap and your team doesn’t need you in a fight.

S/D actually seemed harder to me, because you can’t burst targets down as effectively and counter other zerk builds. But thanks. I play medi guard too, it’s very easy and effective, it’s the thief I’ve problems with.

in PvP

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

SB can be amazingly effective on a thief when played right- poison, damage, bounces, etc in a team fight. Positioning is key.

Don’t run for far unless you have communication with your team, tell them you are doing it, and make sure they can hold while you’re wondering around. If they can fight over mid while you cap far then arrive to swing the battle, then the match is certainly moved in your favour.

Stick at it and don’t be tempted to grab a cheese build (medi guard, turret engi, shoutbow war, d/d ele) just to press the ‘i win’ button, it’s much more fun when you win with a less than perfect team- that’s the fun of playing in unranked solo q. If you feel the need to swap classes before the start then I suggest you form a team if getting your win %age up matters that much to you.

Oh, and learn to call targets and encourage others on the team to do so too- focusing down that pesky healing ele/necro/ranger or whatever can work wonders in fights.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

in PvP

YuiRS.8129

SB can be amazingly effective on a thief when played right- poison, damage, bounces, etc in a team fight. Positioning is key.

Don’t run for far unless you have communication with your team, tell them you are doing it, and make sure they can hold while you’re wondering around. If they can fight over mid while you cap far then arrive to swing the battle, then the match is certainly moved in your favour.

Stick at it and don’t be tempted to grab a cheese build (medi guard, turret engi, shoutbow war, d/d ele) just to press the ‘i win’ button, it’s much more fun when you win with a less than perfect team- that’s the fun of playing in unranked solo q. If you feel the need to swap classes before the start then I suggest you form a team if getting your win %age up matters that much to you.

Oh, and learn to call targets and encourage others on the team to do so too- focusing down that pesky healing ele/necro/ranger or whatever can work wonders in fights.

Thank you for the tips. So I should stick to team fights and not avoid them.

in PvP

Supreme.3164

Thank you for the tips. So I should stick to team fights and not avoid them.

Team fights with pugs?…You can’t be serious, majority of pugs will die the second they load the map screen

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

The Thief’s role in PvP:

1- Kill the opposing Thief – first foremost and always
2- Kill the opposing DPS threats
3- Decap uncontested points

No one expects the Thief to team fight, but there is work to do before running off on your own. You have to complete #1 and #2 before you leave your team. Typically if you’ve done #1 and #2 then you’ve created a numbers advantage for your team, which means you can safely move on to #3 or rotate to another point to be a +1 for another teammate and start over at #1 again.

Rotating Rule of Thumb: Never rotate away from your team if it means leaving them outnumbered. You never want a rotation to cost your team a fight.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

in PvP

Posted by: Nanashi.6297

Nanashi.6297

sry for hijacking this thread but I’m at a similar point.

I can’t win more than 1 of 5 games for my life…

I just want to get back to even w/l and stop playing my ele but I kittening CANT >.< every time I get lucky I remove like 3 losses and then I just lose 6 games in a row and I’m even further away from my target than before (today I started with 9 more losses. now I’m at 18 more losses :< I even fought myself back from -14 to -9 before I went on that losing rampage >.<)

I dont really want to play in a team because that will make it just harder considering the chances to play against a team are higher when you queue as a team >.> or is that really my only chance?

I really kittening hate having a negative win rate. even is just fine but I’ll never achieve that as it seems. Man I’m just an average player but I refuse to believe that I’m actually that bad that I cant even get a 0.5 win ratio

edit: also please be a bit more accurate than “L2P”. I already know that much.

edit2: might anybody know good guides for strategies on each map? everything I find with google is most likely outdated (all articles read like they were written shortly after release talking about tournaments, tickets for said tournaments etc). I have a basic idea of each map but I’m still struggling figuring out when to go for certain objectives like creatures on forest(some people go for it after getting keep, some don’t go for them at all >.> really not easy to get a good conclusion by just playing).

(edited by Nanashi.6297)

in PvP

Posted by: Mysticjedi.6053

Mysticjedi.6053

sry for hijacking this thread but I’m at a similar point.

I can’t win more than 1 of 5 games for my life…

I just want to get back to even w/l and stop playing my ele but I kittening CANT >.< every time I get lucky I remove like 3 losses and then I just lose 6 games in a row and I’m even further away from my target than before (today I started with 9 more losses. now I’m at 18 more losses :< I even fought myself back from -14 to -9 before I went on that losing rampage >.<)

I dont really want to play in a team because that will make it just harder considering the chances to play against a team are higher when you queue as a team >.> or is that really my only chance?

I really kittening hate having a negative win rate. even is just fine but I’ll never achieve that as it seems. Man I’m just an average player but I refuse to believe that I’m actually that bad that I cant even get a 0.5 win ratio

edit: also please be a bit more accurate than “L2P”. I already know that much.

edit2: might anybody know good guides for strategies on each map? everything I find with google is most likely outdated (all articles read like they were written shortly after release talking about tournaments, tickets for said tournaments etc). I have a basic idea of each map but I’m still struggling figuring out when to go for certain objectives like creatures on forest(some people go for it after getting keep, some don’t go for them at all >.> really not easy to get a good conclusion by just playing).

I am in the same boat as you. I quit playing pvp about a week ago and gone to PvE boss battles, dungeons, and the occasional WvW. It isn’t the same, but I actually enjoy playing the game again. I suggest taking a small break.

This twisted ordeal of a test season will be over soon, and I’m hoping some kind of fix will be implemented that will make pvp enjoyable. I don’t expect to win every game, but do expect good games (ones that are even and where skill matters and not just who has the most turrent engineers or is a premade).

Edit: I’ve gone through a lot of the guides and it still didn’t make a huge difference. QQ More is a good source, but reading up on strategy, while important, won’t fix the imbalance in team comps, team numbers, or being set against the whole spectrum of skill range.

(edited by Mysticjedi.6053)

in PvP

Posted by: Nanashi.6297

Nanashi.6297

I am in the same boat as you. I quit playing pvp about a week ago and gone to PvE boss battles, dungeons, and the occasional WvW. It isn’t the same, but I actually enjoy playing the game again. I suggest taking a small break.

This twisted ordeal of a test season will be over soon, and I’m hoping some kind of fix will be implemented that will make pvp enjoyable. I don’t expect to win every game, but do expect good games (ones that are even and where skill matters and not just who has the most turrent engineers or is a premade).

Edit: I’ve gone through a lot of the guides and it still didn’t make a huge difference. QQ More is a good source, but reading up on strategy, while important, won’t fix the imbalance in team comps, team numbers, or being set against the whole spectrum of skill range.

done that already. that’s why I switched to sPvP. Actually I still play WvW once in a while if I need something to just relax.

basically the thing is that some people can carry their team alone and I can’t. and that’s my only problem. I need to know what they are doing different besides having much more experience.

there will always be rounds that are just not winnable(for example against good premades) but like I said. I can’t accept that I can’t even hold an even w/l ratio on my own. especially when in some games my effort to cap points is the only reason we control a point at all you wouldn’t believe me if I tell you how many times in a row that happens sometimes(games in which one team, not particular my team, fights without realizing they lost all control points).

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

That shouldn’t be the case. You should win about half of your matches. I never had a ratio under 50% in my soloq experience.

in PvP

Posted by: Centurion.7296

Centurion.7296

._. am as a thief it doesn’t mean you cant do anything in a team fight, next time in a team fight, try to target the heavy hitters; power rangers/ zerk staff eles/other thieves, or the people with low health left. The thief’s shortbow combo #2+#3 to give the enemies poison helps a lot because poison influences their healing so they’ll heal less and so die faster, and cluster bomb alone very strong, so there is never nothing that you cant do.