Is PvP worth to begin?

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

So, it’s me ending up here asking for a serious answer if the PvP of this game is worth joining? I haven’t played yet, I am also just mid-40 level-wise, but from what I have read, the PvP in GW2 seem to be so flawed at many aspects it’s not supposed to be fun at all.

I play a well-known other game by RIOT Games for 5.5 years. And the biggest problem there is the faulty matchmaking. The actual skill was not the reason for a win or loss. It was the amount of ragequitter, “lagger” and how many newbies (like me, oh the irony) were dragging down skilled players.

When I browse the web and forums, people show the worst (“matchmade”, thus forced) setups ever. Since I have no one to play with me, SoloQ would be the only choice. Reading about a basically non-existant matchmaking of GW2’s PvP on top of a non-existant seperation of Solo and Premade players sounds so horrible that I have never considered trying PvP.

On the other hand, a healthy PvP can make a game being immortal. Even if the content is done, PvP will always be a new challenge. That’s why I am lurking, but the question is still:

Would you recommend a newbie really to join/join right now? From all the reading it seems Arena Net is trying to fix stuff yet people bring up all the bad points I never could stand in any matchmaking game:

- Good players being placed into bad teams, divide by (numbers of players) = Match for example. The good player will either faceroll or being dragged down. Are the teams fair?
- Premades vs Solo players. It DOES NOT WORK. Period. No matter how many handicaps added.
- Stomping and Win/Lose streaks for no apparent reasons

But people still play it, too. So it can’t be that bad. Or…?

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Soon there will be a league system to sort through MMR tiers and try to accommodate for better matchmaking. I still think Solo-queue vs premades will still be an issue, but time will tell.

But if you are a person that enjoys PvP in game, then “worth it” should never be the way to look at it.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: skyd.9678

skyd.9678

Hi, i’m an old pvp primary player who quitted game 1 year ago more or less and came back for expansion. Actually i win most of my match not thanks to my skills (i’m still pretty rusted) but with map control and rotation, i constantly look minimap and see how my enemy moves, so i can easily decap/conquest free point and bring +1 in fight. At low level you can easily win most of the matches thanks to this, because the skills are still not developed. So yes, it’s still worth beginning now.

R.I.P. thieves

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: Marcos.3690

Marcos.3690

it’s indeed flawed but still fun enough to try it out.

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Even if the PvP structure has been so far really bad, the game’s combat and PvP mechanics are so good that its really worth playing imo

M I L K B O I S

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: vinceftw.5086

vinceftw.5086

The combat is really fun and most mechanics are great to play with and against. Skill level is much more important than matchmaking IMO and even when I lose, I don’t hate it as much as I do losing in League.

Elxyria – Engineer / Deluzio – Mesmer
Quickblade Vince – Thief
The Asurnator – Elementalist

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Sounds pretty nice and I can understand it, but I just got dragged down in League (that’s why I have some time to write^^) by 4 total incompetent players not even able to speak English and that totally made me angry (Hey, at least I admit it!).

The combat is fun .. maybe, but I am engineer… I like it, but it does not seem to be good for PvP.. scratches head

So I guess I better wait.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: MAN.9046

MAN.9046

nope, play some Smite life has gotten alot better since i stopped GW2 PvP lol :p.

RIP
FeelsBadMan

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: Aylpse.6280

Aylpse.6280

Yes and no, its HoT launch. Everything is broken, everything is OP.

PvP here can be fun, but… also enraging. You will NEED a team. Preferably friends to joke around with because cheese rules the game right now and you will get angry.

Taking the higher moral ground since 1993.

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

well, don’t believe everything written in this forum in terms of PvP…. actually, you can pretty much ignore 99% of it. :P

PvP in this game is absolutely amazing. Right now, balance is kinda wonky, but thats normal after a big expansion.

I’ve played several competetive games on a very high level (up to semi-pro in sponsored teams, Top-20 PvP Guild in GW1 and I’ve played in the swiss national team for SC2) and GW2 is among the best. There’s still tons of potential to be used though, but the core mechanics in the game are definitely amazing.

but just go play it for a few days, watch some streams and make up your mind. Best thing to do is probably find a few friends, since the PvP random-group community is pretty much cancer. :P

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

If you want to try out PvP, you need a team of friends. Otherwise, you will have AFKers, leavers and saboteurs on your team. It’s inevitable.

If you can manage that, then try Unranked Arena, and see how you like it.

Good luck.

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: bbennett.7463

bbennett.7463

Yes, I do pvp 90% of the time. Only on the forums do people QQ all day everyday. It really isnt that bad. I have more fun doing pvp then pve in gw2.

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: bLind.6278

bLind.6278

PvP since Oct 23 has been a complete kittening joke. The idiots at ANet spent so much time on new PvE content that they completely screwed balance in PvP. Completely. I’ve taken 25k PASSIVE damage in under 3 seconds.

ANet went to great lengths to make PvP just completely not fun. Combine that with them completely ignoring warriors since the expansion just shows where their priorities lie – and it’s not balance.

But hey, the white/black feather backpieces are back on the Gem Store, so make sure you go give up your money.

One foot out the door, yet again.

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: Brew Pinch.5731

Brew Pinch.5731

This is the only good non-fps PvP game on the market.

There is matchmaking, sometimes your team isn’t as good as the opponents. There can only be one winner, this is how PvP works.

Of course Reddit types (the woefully ignorant, pretending at knowledge) will erroneously claim there is no matchmaking, or X class is overpowered, or that X class is useless. None of it is true.

The better player wins fights, the better team wins games. People who regularly lose are quick to blame matchmaking or anything beyond their control before considering the one significant factor in every one of their matches: they are on their own team. Maybe they need to git gud.

This is the same story in every PvP videogame, physical sport or indeed any activity which involves skill which has ever been invented, and always will be.

We have a saying for this in the English speaking world:

A good tradesman doesn’t blame his tools.

(edited by Brew Pinch.5731)

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

PvP is fun, just not at the moment. The HoT release really messed up a lot of balance. Hopefully ANET can get it fixed soon.

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: Highwind.5964

Highwind.5964

Game is fun, the spvp community is not. Prepare to get assaulted with l2p 24/7, excuses on why you are bad and why you got so lucky killing some berserker thief, getting yelled at for killing someone in a 3v1 scenario, people sending insults to you then blocking you immediately for no reason and all the free salt packets you could ever want.

If you mute out everyone, you could probably enjoy the game and its flaws.

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: tarcheg.4872

tarcheg.4872

Is GW2 PvP worth to begin with?

You bought the game, so it’s not like you would have to invest something into playing PvP besides of pressing the “join the lobby” button and queue for a match. If you have fun queue for another one, if not then go back to PvE.

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: benhamann.9570

benhamann.9570

I have played since launch, and I can honestly say I find GW2 PVP to be the best available. Sure, it has flaws. All games do. Name one other game that has so many skill/talent/build/class combinations, though. It is mind-boggling and they do an excellent job of keeping things balanced, given the complexity. I’d MUCH rather have a game with an insane amount of build choices than one like WOW where they have dumbed it down and homogenized so many abilities.

I have mained on a Warrior, with pretty good success and great amounts of fun. I more recently have been using a Mesmer (PU) and dominating. Now with HoT I am trying Reverent and having an absolute blast, though I am pretty much fodder at this point.

YES – it is worth playing. Just give yourself time to understand the builds, practice and experiment a lot in the mists, and understand the abilities from other classes you need to watch for. Have fun!

One other point – it is the absolute fastest way to level characters because of the Tomes of Knowledge. I leveled my Ranger from 1 to 80 in a week and a half by PvPing with my Warrior :-)

(edited by benhamann.9570)

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

I took about a year break from GW2 and 80% of my time has been doing PvP.

A lot of people kitten and moan about it but that is any MMO. Can jump to blizzard forums and find X is OP and ruining pvp or X class is too easy.

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

If you love gw2 combat and classes then yes. If you care about balance and a dedicated dev team who communicates with the community and releases constant updates…. then no.

There are mich better pvp games out there if you aren’t hooked into this game already.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

(edited by Cat Has Ducks.1982)

Is PvP worth to begin?

in PvP

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I also want to say that the pvp in gw2 is very fun and feels fair. I often lose when my team can’t pull it together like the enemy team can. Close games are extremely satisfying.

I often compare gw2 to counterstrike. I know the games have a lot of differences, but it feels like a real twitch based game with an MMO shell. Honestly, best pvp mmo out today. I end maybe 1 out of 4 games with my heart pounding and often those matches, I am so focused and submersed, I love it. 2 out of 4 games are less close, but it usually gets decided within the first 5 minutes, and 1 out of 4 games are faceroll. (one way or the other)

So based on my experience, you can expect 1 amazing game out of 4, 1 crappy game with people giving up and 2 games that are sort of close, but one team simply pulls ahead and takes control of the game. (You’ll have some fun, but nothing like the close games)

Overall, I love the great games, I can stand the mediocre games, and don’t mind faceroll as long as its my team winning the match. XD You’ll really only know by playing and learning. The skill floor is pretty high though, so try and find a good hotjoin server to practice some of the basics before trying ranked/unranked. And don’t be discouraged by some players that can kill you in seconds, you’ll learn to counter them and it won’t feel so lopsided in a few months. When I started playing, I only rolled bunkers to not get destroyed right away, but there were still players that could shred me. Now, I usually walk around a match (win or lose) with my head high and destroying kitten myself.

Good luck, and I hope you get into the game.