Loss close to 300 mmr in 3 days

in PvP

Posted by: rwolf.9571

rwolf.9571

So started off Sat pretty good, went on a win streak bringing me 2 points shy of Platinum. From there on end I started losing. Alot… To a point I’m just scraping above Silver atm.

What went wrong? I started off the season pretty well, learning s/s, staff condi mes. Placing in Gold T1, casually going up to T3.

Kind of at wits end on how to get out of this. The only time I win these past few days if I get a team that carries me hard.

As a mes, I should always take home at start and work on decap when a thief is not around right? As those are the consistent things I notice on my play style.

1v1’s I’m usually ok with. Unless they’re a cut above me I’ll try to peel off. Team fights are getting tricky. I can’t get any team mates to focus the weakest target or focus a moa. (I noticed quite the decline on map and player awareness from t3 down to t1 gold)

Trying to bring the carry game. But kinda lost when your not sure what to do right anymore.

I’ve been consistently in Gold T2 the past few seasons, so I don’t think I was over placed. But maybe my mesmer level isn’t up to par. Since I’m only about 400 matches playing mes since the start of the season.

in PvP

Posted by: Delweyn.1309

Delweyn.1309

The win/lose depends a lot from mates.

I still don’t know how the game calculate it but what’s sure, there are moments where you match always with the best (and win 8 matches/10), and there are moments where you match always with the worst (and lost 8 matches/10).

And when you lose, it’s often 150 to 500. The difference of team power is just crazy, and it repeats as long that you are in the bad phase.

I rarely make 1 victory for 1 lose.

So my advise is, if you lose 2 matches in a row, just stop the game, and come back few hours later.
And if you win, then continue :p Even with stupid builds like staff elem dps or dual gun thief i win in those winning phases. So no problem.

(edited by Delweyn.1309)

in PvP

Posted by: rwolf.9571

rwolf.9571

So my advise is, if you lose 2 matches in a row, just stop the game, and come back few hours later.

I thought Monday would be a fresh start. Boy did Monday show me a thing or two.

It’s also bad I’m trying to farm all the shards I need for legendary armour before PoF hits…

in PvP

Posted by: LUST.7241

LUST.7241

This happens more often at off-hours. It’s best to quit before it gets worse and worse.

For instance, I regretfully chose to play Sunday night to Monday Afternoon (day off). I threw my 1600+ish slow solo climb in the toilet knowing full well that it’s rating suicide to play off hours consistently, not as a duo, and as a Support (instead of a game changer like Rev, Thief, or Mesmer). Instead of quiting at 3-0, 3-1, 3-2, or 3-3…I just kept playing and not heeding my own words I tell myself every season I participated in.

The reason why you don’t want to play off hours (especially solo) is because matchmaking is all over the place due to a lower number of players queuing at that time. You can certainly still win, but everyones rating won’t be necessarily close to each other. You can be Low-Gold and go up against High-Plat/Legendary.

There is always room to improve your skills in your profession, you may be thinking you are doing everything you can, but there are almost always mistakes here and there that can be fixed. Questions I usually ask myself (no particular order):

1) Does staying here accomplish anything?
2) Are we winning this teamfight?
3) Should I 1v1 this player?
4) Did I stay at this objective too long?
5) Did I take too long with that 1v1?
6) Did my team or would that player in a 1v1 situation benefit from my +1 at this time?
7) Is fighting for this objective worth it?
8) Should I skill too early?
9) Did I rotate efficiently/quickly after securing an objective?
10) Should I use this trait instead of that one against this composition?
11) Does my team need me to run this build or the other?
12) Can I survive this situation long enough for my team to get here (if they said they are on the way or wanted said situation)?

Many other questions that can be asked… I’m not perfect…I tend to avoid blaming a teammate if they are at the very least following the expectation of their class at some degree. Even so, I don’t think many respond well to criticism.

Plus, you learn a lot from the pros (not only of the same profession, but others to see what they are capable of and what their role usually is).

Eventually you do recover, I’m a few games away from where I was… I just have to remind myself not to excessively play on what is, most likely, a bad time to play.

(edited by LUST.7241)

in PvP

Posted by: Delweyn.1309

Delweyn.1309

No it’s much more simple than that. When you lose, iy’s at 99% when your mate lose every fights. So you ahave always the feeling to be alone and every where you go there a 2 ennemies or more.

in PvP

Posted by: zoopop.5630

zoopop.5630

hi

Just giving my 2cent into this, just because you placed Gold and were able to get almost to plat doesn’t mean that’s the level of game play you belong. I started Bronze last season and finish in Gold. This season I Started Low Gold and so far I’m at Plat. It Took a good amount of games/swapping characters to get there. You won’t KNOW for sure where you really belong till like 100-150 games played total in rank to get an accurate reading what your rating level should be at imo.

I seen Plat Players records with 20wins 22loses and are only playing 1-3 games per day just to stay at that level when clearly they don’t belong there at all and somehow got lucky. My point is at the end of the season your Rating/Win and Loses are going to play a big part for the next season for you yet again IF your rating is crap it’ll most likely stay where it thinks you belong with a chance of possibility boosting you UP just a bit.If you check the list of players who placed you’ll see their Win/Loses and a majority of them just play to barely stay in that level.

anyways besides having bragging rights Ranking in this game holds no true value unless maybe your top 250 and even then it’s questionable. Play to Learn, Get Experience on new classes and earn the easy rewards.

in PvP

Posted by: Omcrazy.4756

Omcrazy.4756

No it’s much more simple than that. When you lose, iy’s at 99% when your mate lose every fights. So you ahave always the feeling to be alone and every where you go there a 2 ennemies or more.

Lot of times this isn’t due to your teammates just being worse in a team fight, sometimes its just the snowball effect and your teammates (or yourself) making bad decisions.

I see a lot of times where the team loses mid and then everyone slowly trickles back into the middle fight one at a time. This just keeps happening so teammates are always dead and always facing extreme odds.

I think a lot of this problem is how people freak out if you have “too many” at home or how you must always be at a point. So people die and immediately run into the nearest fight rather than standing back and trying to regroup. Sometimes its better to let that one teammate die in his 3v1 instead of charging in and both of you dying in the 3v2.

I have been in a 2v2 off point (fighting over svanir) where we lost the beast but nearly had one opponent down so should have been able to kill both. Instead, the mesmer I was with just ran off and I died to a 2v1. Instead of gaining 10 points and getting the numbers advantage until they respawned we gave them 5. Her response to me asking why she left? “No point fighting off point.” Ok. I agree you should avoid fighting off point, but its better to fight off point than to give up unnecessary deaths or miss out on easy kills.

I’ve seen countless times where someone running from one point or another gets caught from behind by an enemy. Instead of turning and fighting they franctically try to escape to the nearby point so they can fight on the point, even if its a 1v1 and there is no teammate at the point you are running to. Typically, they die. But at least they didn’t make the mistake of fighting off point!

Other times your opponent is just better. They’ll win every even team fight because their team comp is better or their skill is. This can still be won if you out-rotate them and avoid massive brawls unless you have the advantage.

in PvP

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

The matchmaking is because of the magic of MMO. You can achieve more with a good build than with sheer skill, thus some players who get into a right build and don’t have a reaction time of a potato, will take down their lesser brethren and get higher just because their builds kicked in at the right time to, let’s say, give an immunity or some sort of damage that is sick and pretty much "dragonhunter full trap noob stomp-level".
So as the matchmaking system is concerned, it seems like some of those players are gold or low plat level, so you get paired with them. Indeed, got the same level in numbers, but not in real experience. Thus they die easily to opponents who know what to do and this is how it mostly ends up. That’s why you won’t see many blowout matches in games such as counter-strike because you either know how to rotate and aim, or not. No hidden traits or build OPness will carry you, you have to do it yourself.

Due to HoT (and soon PoF) power creep, the balance of sPvP is really volatile as everyone tries to come up with the cheesiest build possible. By cheesiest I mean the one that has pretty much everything (mobility, sustain, damage etc...) at once. Back before HoT you either went with dps and land that burst well or died, now you can hit it and went into tons of immunities or run away to burst again after a bunch of seconds. As a healer you could only heal and kite instead of outsustain everything and kill something by the way. There was more planning to do instead of going in, blowing all the good stuff to make the enemy die, or take advantage of too frequent access to mobility/invisibility/immunity to safely run away/kite for days.
The matchmaking, although flawed, still tries its best. I am still not pleased with it, but I can’t do anything about it other than buying gems/xpacks and hope for devs to do something about it sooner or later.

Other times your opponent is just better. They’ll win every even team fight because their team comp is better or their skill is. This can still be won if you out-rotate them and avoid massive brawls unless you have the advantage.

As for this little quote, I’ve learned that if the enemy is good (which doesnt mean that they just kill your teammates), they won’t let you outrotate them. If they do, they were just a comp with huge damage but zero strategy. Besides, it takes cooperation which if your team is [whatever you might call it] then you alone won’t outrotate while the rest of the team gets snowballed becasue they explode on contact, even if the enemy zergs.
And why? Because your team doesn’t cooperate or doesn’t know how to cooperate.

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

(edited by Rodzynald.5897)

in PvP

Posted by: Omcrazy.4756

Omcrazy.4756

As for this little quote, I’ve learned that if the enemy is good (which doesnt mean that they just kill your teammates), they won’t let you outrotate them. If they do, they were just a comp with huge damage but zero strategy. Besides, it takes cooperation which if your team is [whatever you might call it] then you alone won’t outrotate while the rest of the team gets snowballed becasue they explode on contact, even if the enemy zergs.
And why? Because your team doesn’t cooperate or doesn’t know how to cooperate.

You took my quote out of context but maybe you misunderstood my point. I was strictly saying sometimes the opponent is just better at actual fights. I’ve been in plenty of matches where one team was constantly getting wrecked in any major clash, but still won because the other team wasn’t using a winning strategy.

I was not trying to say every time you lose its because the other team is just plain better as the entire rest of my comment should have made clear.

in PvP

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

I fell to mid gold 3, trying build variations & stuff, but I quickly got back 150 mmr by just winning 3 matches and log off for the past few days. I think I’m not made to push my luck too much. Now I just do 3 matches/3 wins/day.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

in PvP

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

But take note, this was not to be the norm. A matchmaking system that depends on “right time zone”, and not on the player’s skill, is broken.

worst, players getting used to this “new normal”.

Yeah, i tested it, the weird loss streak pattern is tied to timezones, avoid weekend.

The worst time is the hours near server reset (0:00hrs server time , in my tmz is 21:00hrs).

The best time seems is morning (near 9:00 am server time, in my tmz is 6:00 am).

The “weekend warrior” meme is real. Avoid weekends at all cost. in weekend the “i need farm ascension” guys invasion happens.

(edited by ugrakarma.9416)