Most of us don't care about PVP

in PvP

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

Why does ANet continue to push PVP
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/upcoming-guild-wars-2-player-vs-player-tournaments/
When most of us PVE or WvW?

Just imagine how all of that PVP/ESport money could have spent on the content that matters to ANet’s actual base populace?

in PvP

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

They wouldn’t be pushing it if they didn’t see an interest in it.

“Most of us don’t care about PVP”

Source? Statistics? Numbers?

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Which money? The 50k USD total prize pool for a World Tournament? That’s like 2 extra employees…

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in PvP

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Which money? The 50k USD total prize pool for a World Tournament? That’s like 2 extra employees…

Barely one if you consider benefits.

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I’m sorry, I’m not really in the know about USD salaries but thanks for the clarification!

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in PvP

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/upcoming-guild-wars-2-player-vs-player-tournaments/

Just imagine how all of that PVP/ESport money could have spent on the content that matters to ANet’s actual base populace?

I suggest you look-up the early GW GvG tourneys and that may tell you why.

in PvP

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Less than one employee actually. The average salary for a game developer in the Seattle area is over $60k per year. Add in the cost to employ (benefits, taxes, etc) multiplier of 1.2 to 1.3 and you are up into the $70ks to $80ks.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

in PvP

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

Less than one employee actually. The average salary for a game developer in the Seattle area is over $60k per year. Add in the cost to employ (benefits, taxes, etc) multiplier of 1.2 to 1.3 and you are up into the $70ks to $80ks.

Aren’t A-Net in Austin now?

in PvP

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Interesting, I hadn’t heard this. Looks like average salary there is higher than in Seattle.

in PvP

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

Look, I didn’t “care” about PvP either, until I tried it, and guess what? I loved it!

PvP matches are quick and rewarding and you will find yourself getting better at it if you stick to it at your own pace. You will get all sort of PvE related rewards depending on the reward track you choose.

For two years since launch I avoided PvP and stick with WvW and mostly solo PvE, unranked PvP has really help diversify my game. I still do everything else I enjoyed but I usually always run a few if not more matches a day on one or more of my characters. (level doesn’t matter)

Yes, ANet does “push” things a lot, but every now and again, I can understand why. Players often get set in their ways and stuck in ruts, sometimes they need to go outside their comfort zones in order to refresh their game experience.

in PvP

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Someone is confusing ANet with NC West.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in PvP

Posted by: Elestian.6134

Elestian.6134

Can we mostly PvErs stop kidding ourselves with this myth that PvP has gotten loads of attention from ANet?

(edited by Elestian.6134)

in PvP

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

PvP tournaments for PvP, Living Story for Pve, Sneak Attack for WvW. Now whether or not you as an individual care or enjoy them is entirely up to you. They want to encourage people to play other parts of the game, whats wrong with that?

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in PvP

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

As much as PVP just isn’t my pot of tea, I think you’re barking up the wrong tree here, OP. Keeping GW2 in the media on a platform like that almost certainly goes further toward keeping it relevant in the MMO scene than any amount of advertising would.

They can push that ‘till the wheels fall off, as far as I’m concerned. It does nothing but good for the game on the whole that they do.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

in PvP

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The PvP tournament is simply a different form of advertising.

The servers are hosted in Austin, Texas. ArenaNet is in Bellevue, Washington.

Isn’t that common knowledge in MMOs? If the majority wanted PvP, development would be focused on PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

The PvP tournament is simply a different form of advertising.

The servers are hosted in Austin, Texas. ArenaNet is in Bellevue, Washington.

Isn’t that common knowledge in MMOs? If the majority wanted PvP, development would be focused on PvP.

So because a majority do not do PvP, ANet should always ignore it?

What if there are still a decent amount who do PvP? Just not the majority. We don’t know numbers. The numbers are high enough they are willing to dangle a $50K prize for a tournament.

And if that’s not where the majority of players are, isn’t that a good sign for the game? That even the areas where most do not play get decent updates?

in PvP

Posted by: petyr baelish.9675

petyr baelish.9675

This is such a disgusting mentality and sadly you’re not the only one that thinks this way.
You don’t enjoy pvp, that’s fine, but there are players that do and they deserve some attention as well. Be happy for them or at least keep your mouth shut.

in PvP

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

I think the WvW Guild V Guild community could have had very similar events, prizes and such. There are other aspects to the game that could be given just as much competitive attention and it is no secret that those options were allowed to wither in favour of an E-sport option that never took flight.

Chasing after that, while ignoring other valid options, would be a shame and I think that is what the OP is trying to express. Lets hope that the “expansion” or whatever new content that is coming goes some way to correct this.

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I think the WvW Guild V Guild community could have had very similar events, prizes and such. There are other aspects to the game that could be given just as much competitive attention and it is no secret that those options were allowed to wither in favour of an E-sport option that never took flight.

Chasing after that, while ignoring other valid options, would be a shame and I think that is what the OP is trying to express. Lets hope that the “expansion” or whatever new content that is coming goes some way to correct this.

In addition to the opportunity cost, PvP actually hurts other parts of the game. Skill balance, for example is pretty much based on how skills interact in sPvP.

in PvP

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

I suggest you look-up the early GW GvG tourneys and that may tell you why.

Funny you should mention this. The pvp in this game is not even remotely similar to the pvp reminiscent of GW1. I seriously don’t even know why you tried lol.

Devona’s Rest

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

because anet wants you to PvP, not PvE or WvW.

in PvP

Posted by: TerminalMontage.5693

TerminalMontage.5693

Excuse you.

in PvP

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

In the end, PvP is only good for reward tracks and certain dailies, since they messed up the PvE ones so badly. Without those, I doubt it’d be seeing quite the numbers it is now.

in PvP

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Nothing wrong with giving PvP some love, right? If you adhere to the majority too much, you lose the other half of the playerbase. You may not care about PvP but the fact remains that there are people who do care about it. Otherwise, the Heart of the Mists area would be barren.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

in PvP

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Not the biggest fan of pvp myself, but if you hate it so much your always free to play single player games you know, are there any mmo’s without a pvp type of gamemode?

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in PvP

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

You see. Anet dug themselves a hole when they decided to throw in all of the differences. GW1 would have been pretty streamlined if you could forget their were dual classes but we don’t have that here so things should be easier right…? Nope. The vast HP differences, stat amulets (and stats in general) and the trait system made pvp in GW2 exceedingly difficult to handle… I don’t know how they are ever going to get to the point were they feel it’s “safe” to add new things to pvp, honestly.

Devona’s Rest

in PvP

Posted by: Shayne Hawke.9160

Shayne Hawke.9160

What if there are still a decent amount who do PvP? Just not the majority. We don’t know numbers. The numbers are high enough they are willing to dangle a $50K prize for a tournament.

$50k is the size of the pool, not the size of any prize. That sounds pretty small for a pool. For comparison, Guild Wars had two major championships, one in early ‘06 and one late, both within the first year of the game’s release, and each one had a prize pool of $100k and a first place team prize of $50k.

To offer only a pool of $50k this late in this game’s life is a sign either that they can’t afford to offer any more, aren’t willing to encourage a more competitive environment by offering more, don’t feel like more or better players would turn out for an even bigger prize, or a combination of the above.

And if that’s not where the majority of players are, isn’t that a good sign for the game? That even the areas where most do not play get decent updates?

Excuse me??

YT channel - GW2 Activity vids and more
Activities are dead.
Sanctum Sprint record times: any checkpoints – 39.333, all checkpoints – 1:55.633

in PvP

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

1.) Enough of us care about PVP for it to matter.

2.) small scale, intense fights are in many cases more interesting to watch and commentate than a large scale fight or AI fight. Anet isn’t doing anything wrong by drawing attention to other aspects of their game.

I like pve as much as the next guy, but pvp could use some love too.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in PvP

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

I’m outraged that ArenaNet posted a news item in support of the PVP community (to which I don’t belong) to help promote community organised events. How dare they!

/sarcasm

OP, you really missed the mark on this one.

in PvP

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Most people aren’t interested in Ballet, but I have no object to ads in the paper for a performance.

in PvP

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Most people aren’t interested in Ballet, but I have no object to ads in the paper for a performance.

THIS!

And you would be surprised in how many actually play PvP on a regular basis, would be willing to bet more than half the player base go to PvP on a daily or bi-daily basis.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

in PvP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

If you adhere to the majority too much, you lose the other half of the playerbase.

“majority”, “other half”…
I suggest you brush up on math.
Also, if you adhere to the minority too much, you run the risk of alienating the remaining majority.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

More people might be interested in pvp, if we haven’t been playing only conquest for over two years.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

Novuake.2691

More people might be interested in pvp, if we haven’t been playing only conquest for over two years.

Amen. Or at least so little variety in conquest.

in PvP

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

This seems rather odd to me: ANet stop focusing on PvP because no one wants PvP, why does no one want PvP? Because if people wanted PvP developers would be focusing on PvP!

in PvP

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

$50k is the size of the pool, not the size of any prize. That sounds pretty small for a pool. For comparison, Guild Wars had two major championships, one in early ‘06 and one late, both within the first year of the game’s release, and each one had a prize pool of $100k and a first place team prize of $50k.

To offer only a pool of $50k this late in this game’s life is a sign either that they can’t afford to offer any more, aren’t willing to encourage a more competitive environment by offering more, don’t feel like more or better players would turn out for an even bigger prize, or a combination of the above.

Excuse me??

So it’s a pool and not a winners take all. $50K is still a lot to spend on an area that too few people play in. So it’s a sign that there are still a fair number of people who play it.

And as to the Activities, I don’t know what you’re talking about. Literally. So please elaborate on your excuse me for I am not a mind reader.

in PvP

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

I care about PVE.
I care about WVW.
I care about PVP.
I am a Guild Wars 2 player.

in PvP

Novuake.2691

I care about PVE.
I care about WVW.
I care about PVP.

Exactly.

I just don’t understand how anyone can be so selfish to deny people from playing GW2 the way they want, PvP growth would be good FOR THE WHOLE game, yet this guy is complaining, REALLY?

Wake up OP.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

I care about PVE.
I care about WVW.
I care about PVP.

aye, a true guild wars 2 player plays all part of gw2, not only focusing on just one.

unfortunately, many PvE elitist believes that gw2 belongs to them only.

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

It’s not what I see at all. People kitten tired of the same boring PPT in WvW that they GvG and PvP more and more. Practically everyone on my friends list does pvp.

in PvP

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

You don’t need hard stats. You just have to visit the PvP Game Browser in game and there’s your stats. Here you go, http://i.imgur.com/CNsRutc.jpg

And no, it doesn’t even matter what time of day either, because you’ll get the same results or it will be doubled… The number is very, very low.

in PvP

Novuake.2691

You don’t need hard stats. You just have to visit the PvP Game Browser in game and there’s your stats. Here you go, http://i.imgur.com/CNsRutc.jpg

And no, it doesn’t even matter what time of day either, because you’ll get the same results or it will be doubled… The number is very, very low.

I can not remember when I used hot join.

No one that I know or play PvP with EVER uses hot join.
So no, those “numbers” mean nothing.

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

These servers are for practice… When you do pvp you do unranked or ranked team queue, and since they now have map voting they are more popular than the other servers.

in PvP

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

I’m happy to read that OP knows what majority cares about.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

in PvP

nexxe.7081

I can not remember when I used hot join.

No one that I know or play PvP with EVER uses hot join.
So no, those “numbers” mean nothing.

Those numbers have always been low, when hot join was the only way to pvp. If you think the new join system somehow brought in more players, you’re deluding yourself.

in PvP

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

I care about PVE.
I care about WVW.
I care about PVP.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

You, OP, on the other hand, come out on the losing side in this thread.

I care about all three games modes and want a lot of attention on all of these; prize money for PvP tournaments seems like a way to increase its appeal in e-Sports. However, I wish ArenaNet would rather develop new PvP content (match modes, etc.) that made it even more rewarding and enjoyable IN-GAME to play PvP.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in PvP

nexxe.7081

These servers are for practice… When you do pvp you do unranked or ranked team queue, and since they now have map voting they are more popular than the other servers.

That just proves my point even further. You can’t be serious. Unranked and Ranked matches aren’t more popular than public play. They never have been. lol.

in PvP

Novuake.2691

That just proves my point even further. You can’t be serious. Unranked and Ranked matches aren’t more popular than public play. They never have been. lol.

Since the PvP changes more and more people play unranked arena, VERY few people left in hot join.

in PvP

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Yes we do care about PVP.You are not entire world.

in PvP

Posted by: Aetheldrake.6395

Aetheldrake.6395

PvP tournaments for PvP, Living Story for Pve, Sneak Attack for WvW. Now whether or not you as an individual care or enjoy them is entirely up to you. They want to encourage people to play other parts of the game, whats wrong with that?

well, “pvp” is less about “player versus player” and more about “who can be the most bs’y player”

and wvw is just zerg train for karma and leveling low levels