''No weapon swapping hurts competitive play''

in PvP

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

You just have no idea of how games are going to be played now. The game will be a HUGE snowball where one team will dominate the other just cause they counter picked.

uh, this is how competitive pvp has always worked, in every other game. the change encourages more balanced builds. in LoL and SC2, once you commit to a strategy, it is near impossible to do a 180 halfway in, which is why people use versatile builds.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in PvP

nerva.7940

if this change kills tpvp as we know it (it wont), then all the better.

So you are saying that one team managed to do a good cheese start and therefore should automatically win because of that?

[/quote]

no actually. cheese strats just dont work on balanced builds. this change in itself restored a lot of my faith in ANet. really seems like they know what theyre doing.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Danto.6748

Danto.6748

So you are saying that one team managed to do a good cheese start and therefore should automatically win because of that?

no actually. cheese strats just dont work on balanced builds. this change in itself restored a lot of my faith in ANet. really seems like they know what theyre doing.
[/quote]

Balanced setups will have a hard time against cheese starts. Many teams are already looking into double mesmer portal play.

[TCG] Danto – Gaurdian

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

To all crybabies: gw2 meta-build-wars incoming. Put up or shut up. All gw1 players breathe sigh of relief. Changing your build depending on situation does involve some kind of skill, but this change strongly promotes healthy pre-game strategizing, which this game needs.

in PvP

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

i agree with the decision. it brings in the unpredictability factor, something that tpvp has not had. once you commit to a build, you have to make it work, period. constant switching was just silly. so if one team decides to do something out of the ordinary, and they pull it off well, why should the other team have the capability to directly counter that almost instantly? this change will encourage planning and organizing before a match. and as poster above me said, it encourages balanced builds that can adapt to different situations.

So you are saying that one team managed to do a good cheese start and therefore should automatically win because of that? You are saying that the other team should just lose (even tho they might be even better) just because they got cheesed? No comeback scenarios? No evolving gameplay?

God.. posts like these make me so damn sad..

If they’re a cheese team, then someone can counter them. You didn’t choose a team that can manage to cut it and didn’t come up with some creative strategy to overcome your teams weaknesses. So tell me, why do you deserve the win?
You can say you’re more “skilled”, but the truth of the matter is, what counts as “skill” has been redefined, so if you want to stay Pro, you’ll have to adapt to the new form of"skill".
The pros I see from this change is:
-Balance becomes easier to discern, the devs are now seeing what builds pop up, rather then seeing entire class skill sets fighting each other.
-Players having to put more thought into their builds and team comps, to the degree that some players who originally had the same playstyle may have different builds now due to personal preference,
-Roles becoming more defined. Players now have to either build a jack-of-all-trades build or something more specialized to a specific job, but they can’t have both, and face the consequences for their choices.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in PvP

nerva.7940

Balanced setups will have a hard time against cheese starts. Many teams are already looking into double mesmer portal play.

cool thanks for the insider info bro. might as well make it 3 mesmers for 60 stacks of might.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

just no.
l2p

it will force pro player to change the build, maybe, they used to farm everyone in paid since paid were released.
it is lame switching stuff according to enemy team: “oh they are condition spam? let me use null field instead of second breakstun/let me swap weapon to kill this one, then go back to previous to kill another one”. yeah very smart. should be a good esport really.

+1 for the change. hoping anet would not change it back.

in PvP

Posted by: Schwahrheit.4203

Schwahrheit.4203

This game is going to lose its spice, I’m calling it right now. Not that I care when I might as well play another game where “adaptability” is probable and more fun.

You wonder what is one of the reasons on why LoL and DOTA is so popular. Because customization within a match is possible. Therefore adaptability isn’t much of an issue and is more fun and manage-able for casuals and pros alike.

To say switching withing a match is cheating is dumb as hell because YOU have the ability to adapt through customization too. But I guess ANET wants to go downhill from here so..

TL;DR Guess the majority just wants to stay simple-minded after all.

Since people are negative about nerfs, how about we buff to balance then?

in PvP

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

Every time i read about gw2 pros i die little inside..Anyway they should allow for utilities swapping imo.Maybe lock the heal and elite but i do think amulet and armor should not be changerable during match.

in PvP

Posted by: NovaBlue.2460

NovaBlue.2460

Right -1 to op
this is perfectly fine and is no way game breaking forces you to to make better builds which is a good thing so Danto stop raging!

[TSU] NovaBlue/Fattest Ele EU – Tsunmai’s Ele/founder and leader

in PvP

Posted by: Danto.6748

Danto.6748

I am voicing the common feeling of some of us and thus I’m raging on the forums. I’m trying to reply with constructive feedback and thus I’m raging again. Now the casuals are calling it a “l2p issue” of the “pros” (when the actual problem will be for the casuals once they start to do tournaments). I am being poked with ignorant and useless sarcasm for trying to give some feedback from some of us.

Let’s keep going in this direction dear forum users, it will make this game awesome for sure.

Obviously you all know better and don’t need any extra feedback, GL HF in tournaments.

[TCG] Danto – Gaurdian

in PvP

Posted by: faeral.7120

faeral.7120

i can definitely see the reasons for keeping utility swapping in—& as of now, we still can, correct? according to some posts here.

i like that some things are pre-determined about your build, that you make certain choices that you have to live by. but i agree that mid-game tactics should allow for some flexibility.

if they take away weapon/armor/trait swapping but keep utility swapping, is that a somewhat happy medium?

in MOBA terms,

weapon/armor/trait = hero selection
utility = itemization

in PvP

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

…cut…

Gotta love how one guy comes, says he’s pro, disagrees with changes in few months old game, says others agree with him and requests the developer to revert the changes.

I couldn’t disagree more.

Well, let me explain something. This is not your game. It’s ours. Please do not generalise.

That’s a healthy change that enables us to actually prepare team builds as well as encourages balanced teams. It shifts the game from ’who’s got portal, who’s got ele to nuke treb, who’s got thief to solo Lord’ into ’who’s got the most universal team build, the team that can win no matter the odds’.

If things don’t work out well, this can always be changed back.

But you discrediting it from the start, proclaiming yourself a voice of top pvpers (like the game was being developed only around you) and ‘requesting top players’ to agree with you is just unbelievable. Please don’t force elitism on Guild Wars 2.

-1 OP
+1 Anet.

Leman

(edited by leman.7682)

in PvP

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

This game is going to lose its spice, I’m calling it right now. Not that I care when I might as well play another game where “adaptability” is probable and more fun.

Don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

Every piece of drivel you post gives credibility to statements like:

“we top players” talk.. GW2’s top players just seem to fall short in my eyes. Out of all the e-sports/really competitive games I’ve played I must say that GW2’s top players is amongst the most arrogant and inflated ones.

Except the irony being you have no stream, you have no top tourney vids and presence. You bark alot, but that’s about it.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in PvP

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

Gotta love how one guy comes, says he’s pro, disagrees with changes in few months old game, says others agree with him and requests the developer to revert the changes.

I couldn’t disagree more.

Well, let me explain something. This is not your game. It’s ours. Please do not generalise.

That’s a healthy change that enables us to actually prepare team builds as well as encourages balanced teams. It shifts the game from ’who’s got portal, who’s got ele to nuke treb, who’s got thief to solo Lord’ into ’who’s got the most universal team build, the team that can win no matter the odds’.

If things don’t work out well, this can always be changed back.

But you discrediting it from the start, proclaiming yourself a voice of top pvpers (like the game was being developed only around you) and ‘requesting top players’ to agree with you is just unbelievable. Please don’t force elitism on Guild Wars 2.

-1 OP
+1 Anet.

+1

in PvP

Posted by: Adfax.8914

Adfax.8914

Changing your build to fit the circumstance is the easy way out.

Being locked in a build means you’ll have to adapt your mind over your build. Ofcourse that isn’t to say there is no skill in knowing when to switch your build, but the skill requirement is much higher when you’re locked in a build, which is why I think locking builds is the correct approach.

Don’t be afraid of a little extra challenge, you’ll only improve from it.

in PvP

Posted by: Bane.5379

Bane.5379

Changing your build to fit the circumstance is the easy way out.

Being locked in a build means you’ll have to adapt your mind over your build. Ofcourse that isn’t to say there is no skill in knowing when to switch your build, but the skill requirement is much higher when you’re locked in a build, which is why I think locking builds is the correct approach.

Don’t be afraid of a little extra challenge, you’ll only improve from it.

this guy is spot on maybe now this will root out the so called PRO s and im pretty sure most other pvp games work like this and so did guild wars 1(not played for years but if i recall correctly it was the same )

in PvP

Posted by: NovaBlue.2460

NovaBlue.2460

I am voicing the common feeling of some of us and thus I’m raging on the forums. I’m trying to reply with constructive feedback and thus I’m raging again. Now the casuals are calling it a “l2p issue” of the “pros” (when the actual problem will be for the casuals once they start to do tournaments). I am being poked with ignorant and useless sarcasm for trying to give some feedback from some of us.

Let’s keep going in this direction dear forum users, it will make this game awesome for sure.

Obviously you all know better and don’t need any extra feedback, GL HF in tournaments.

All it means is people have to make more all round builds. Also it makes guardians not be able to roam as well swapping weapons for swiftness as an example because they are meant to be a heavy class with no mobility so its just bringing it inline of how it should be.

Everyone can make up their own mind about it you are entitled to your opinion but please stop calling yourself “pro” fed up of people doing this because no one is pro in this game .

Also you do realise that if you want this game to be popular and become and esport you need the “casuals” too play the game and if this make it better for casuals and will bring more people in the bring it on. So alienating them makes the game go into a bigger hole.

[TSU] NovaBlue/Fattest Ele EU – Tsunmai’s Ele/founder and leader

in PvP

Posted by: Juan Ignacio.8903

Juan Ignacio.8903

Hello top player of a recently released game, i think you need to adapt to the stuff that they throw you at thats why u are one of the top players. I think in GW1 u had to choose your setup work with the others and that was it u were not able to change anything.
If u think that streaming is a problem… well dont stream, being an attention w—— it has its goods and bads.

in PvP

Posted by: PaZZo.5724

PaZZo.5724

I think this change will be way more detrimental to casual players approaching to “competitive” play than people seem to think, while at the same time greatly reducing playstyle variety inside a single match.

A lot of people already have multiple characters of the same class with different builds, and they swap it before the game starts based on enemy team composition, and a lot of teams already join the match at the latest possible time except for one player “scouting” to “hide” their build and get into the match with the appropriate composition. Necro and engi? Let’s bring double guardian with more condi removal in their builds. Double mesmers? Sounds like we could use that backstab thief. One guardian no ele? Uh uh, let’s go with a crapload of condi. Casuals won’t do this. And they’ll get stomped even more brutally than they do now.

Mid game, no weapon swapping means pretty much no swiftness for A LOT of classes. Do you think this help casuals? No, they will get even more punished because with inferior map control and awarness they’ll be even slower to react.

No utilities swapping? It just hits variety and fine play. As a mesmer, not being able to switch my utilities hinders what i’ll be able to do immensely, and pigeonholes me in semi effective sub par builds. Say i’m side point holding portaling around when needed. Do i bring that null field? They have a thief on their side. Is he the roamer? Most likely, especially with this no weapon swap thingie hindering other fellas mobility. Is he a caltrops build? I’d need null field. Is he pw or backstab? Null field wasted, one slot wasted. Not bring null field for blink and mirror images standard setup? Good luck if he’s caltrops and he comes to me.

Not being able to adapt is NEVER good.

in PvP

Posted by: Oni.5429

Oni.5429

In the end, if the masses approve of the change there is nothing we’ll be able to do but to adapt, and we will do just that. We are voicing our opinion because we feel like this is hurting the game, not saying ‘’pro players find the game boring now’’ or ‘’dominant teams will now fall off because we cant swap utilities’’.

The word ’’static’’ has been mentioned many times and I want to stress that this is what we are TRULY trying to complain about, the game becomes far less dynamic because of this change.

As for the whole ‘’you have to make a balanced team composition’‘, 99% of the top teams (aside from the people running double mesmer double ele/ele+nec thief) more or less already are. The changes we’ll have to make to make our builds work are extremely minimal.
Our necro will have to do without swiftness (does not matter since he hardly ever has to roam), aside from that no real change to him.
I’ll have focus and illusion of life 24/7, aside from being locked to an utility I swapped to 9/10 games and getting a worthless phantasm this doesnt change anything
Our guardian will have to do without swiftness(does not matter since he hardly ever has to roam), no build change.
Our ele can’t swap to the rez glyph and try to do a clutch save and cant swap to staff and help me stack lightning field. No build change.

Our thief wont be able to swap refuge to shadowstep/help us stack invis – he’ll just sit on refuge permanently. His build wont be more ’’balanced’’ because of this either.

We are all going to sit on our core utilities and the only one who will really pick a new weapon is me. Does this still look like it’ll make the game deeper? The composition I mentioned above is the standard. Some teams swap one of the classes above for a warrior/extra guard/extra mesmer etc but what I’m trying to show here is that this change did nothing but kill potential plays.

In the end though, if the community(for some absurd reason) likes this it’ll get approved as it is, to the dismay of the people that liked to do cool exciting plays using the open nature of the utility/weapons.

Crs Helseth, Mesmer for Team Curse

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

I think this change will be way more detrimental to casual players approaching to “competitive” play than people seem to think, while at the same time greatly reducing playstyle variety inside a single match.

A lot of people already have multiple characters of the same class with different builds, and they swap it before the game starts based on enemy team composition, and a lot of teams already join the match at the latest possible time except for one player “scouting” to “hide” their build and get into the match with the appropriate composition. Necro and engi? Let’s bring double guardian with more condi removal in their builds. Double mesmers? Sounds like we could use that backstab thief. One guardian no ele? Uh uh, let’s go with a crapload of condi. Casuals won’t do this. And they’ll get stomped even more brutally than they do now.

Mid game, no weapon swapping means pretty much no swiftness for A LOT of classes. Do you think this help casuals? No, they will get even more punished because with inferior map control and awarness they’ll be even slower to react.

No utilities swapping? It just hits variety and fine play. As a mesmer, not being able to switch my utilities hinders what i’ll be able to do immensely, and pigeonholes me in semi effective sub par builds. Say i’m side point holding portaling around when needed. Do i bring that null field? They have a thief on their side. Is he the roamer? Most likely, especially with this no weapon swap thingie hindering other fellas mobility. Is he a caltrops build? I’d need null field. Is he pw or backstab? Null field wasted, one slot wasted. Not bring null field for blink and mirror images standard setup? Good luck if he’s caltrops and he comes to me.

Not being able to adapt is NEVER good.

you are forced to adapt your teamplay instead of your skill bar. and it is good.

gw1 was this. you built a 8players team with your own strategy and u could fight against every kind of build. if you rolled a 8man spike build and opponent played a split build it was up to you to decide what ws the right strategy to win. oh and often it was also a matter of map.
sadly this is not gw1, but the spirit at least is the same..now..

in PvP

Posted by: Adwila.1392

Adwila.1392

I like this change, true, it causes less skillfull play in certain occasions where switching to a certain utility or weapon could make things go a different way, but this change also causes to try out new builds and new teamplay tactics, more thought will have to be done in order to achieve things rather than just “hurr durr ima switching mah weapon”.

Guardianella – Guardian – Team Hyperactive [HYPE]

in PvP

Posted by: cocaftw.4279

cocaftw.4279

That change totaly make no sense.
U cant adapt on any situation during the tame ur forced to make a decission at the start and cant change it. Sure it improve the Theorycrafting Scene like in gw1 Teambuilds, but guys WTF this is NOT GW1, this tpvp is way more flexibil than gw1. Its taking out tons of individual skill based decissions during the game, GG make the game for the casual scene that ppl can just copy paste builds and dont even need to think. Thats the way its going to be soon. Copy paste FTW. Whats the benefits of thinking b4 a game and not during it ? Not be able to change ur strategie during a game u just need to stick to wha u decided on the start ?
Well w/e current meta quadra mesmer cuz op and u dont need to switch skills/traits/weapons anymore. Be happy with it.

OnibawaN Varee

in PvP

Posted by: Schwahrheit.4203

Schwahrheit.4203

Don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

Every piece of drivel you post gives credibility to statements like:

“we top players” talk.. GW2’s top players just seem to fall short in my eyes. Out of all the e-sports/really competitive games I’ve played I must say that GW2’s top players is amongst the most arrogant and inflated ones.

Except the irony being you have no stream, you have no top tourney vids and presence. You bark alot, but that’s about it.

Bark a lot, huh? I guess I don’t mind being better than someone who “whines a lot” about a class that’s actually balanced. I mean I don’t even see you in Frees nor Paids. Let alone see you in PvP at all. And I actually got a few people who can vouch that I’m legit better than you and how you think I am to be honest. That should be enough if you honestly think whatever I do or say lacks credibility.

On topic though:
Point stands out, to lose the ability to customize in-between matches makes it so that PvP loses thrill or spice or however you want to describe enjoyment.

Ask yourself, would you rather play hop-scotch or would you rather be in a roller coaster? Your choice, I can name a lot of people who would rather be in a roller coaster. And hopefully maybe one day casuals would be able to feel the luxury of roller coaster rides. Also, I can see a lot of people leaving due to “lack of customization.” Thanks to this update which might be the last nail in the coffin for GW2 PvP.

Since people are negative about nerfs, how about we buff to balance then?

in PvP

Posted by: pinkbunnies.4620

pinkbunnies.4620

My opinion is that this change will encourage better pregame team strategy. Teams will consider how to deal with condition heavy enemy teams, ect, and who/how their team will be able to deal with that. For example, “better make sure jake has field type X and sam has finisher Y that way they can spam aoe condition removal if they need it.” This will take more “skill” than everyone just switching utilities/weapons/traits on the fly to be able to do anything on their own.

tldr: this change will force more teamwork.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

they made it just like gw1 ….one build to rule them all….for me it’s fine..

in PvP

Posted by: Leki.8623

Leki.8623

Force more teamwork? xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD, this is funny..
1)Someclases arent affected by this changes, static builds who is beneficied
2)By my point as a mesmer, funnyx10, i just dont care about sigils traits, amulets, swapping of character or utilitys/elit (cause im running same utilitys all the matches) but WEAPONS? hahaha
3) more snowballs
4)cant turn arround a game
5)Less skill needed, I wasnt only changing to my focus for speed.. i was using it, and also
gs/staff and s/s – s/p
6)Everyone was able to change weapons and i think no one was complaining about it.
7) GG naked illusions
8)Nice REPLY from the state of game
9)And ppl who was winning will continue wining. ^^ But with more borring games

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Not only is going into a menu and swapping weapons clunky and annoying (they’ve programmed a weapon swap system for a reason, after all), it surely does not leads to more interesting play/ watching. People don’t want to be watching menus between fights after all, right?

This is an excellent step into better build making. The most extreme builds will now have the drawbacks they deserve. Before, the extreme builds were running wild because you could adapt them to something else (ex. bunkers to roamers to bunkers again). Now you’ll need to play with your weaknesses, and think deeply about the strong points and drawbacks of your build choices.

The new change will incentivate more skillful play and less boring and simple “go to a menu and gain advantages that your build shouldn’t have” play. The most extreme builds will be unadaptable and lead to a snowball effect, which will make people go for more and interesting balanced builds.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

in PvP

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

I fail to see the skill involved in swapping Lightning Flash for Cleansing Fire (for example) when facing a condition heavy team
Mouse clicking is something my brother was able to do when he was 3 yr old.

I welcome this change. (GW1 was this way after all.)

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I agree. Less clunky menu navigation/ mouse clicking, deeper pre-match build-making.

in PvP

Posted by: IDarko.4709

IDarko.4709

I disagree with OP. It’s not skillful at all (well maybe for you lol). It’s a chore and i dislike opening my inventory all the time just to have the perfect setup at all times. I’m happy with this buildlock feature.

Dius Vanguard [DiVa]
Gandara – WvW Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: Aldizi.5671

Aldizi.5671

Weapon swaping is also bs because some classes dont benefit from it nearly as much as as others classes so now ur going to have to balance a game based on weapon and amulet swaping. And if it wasnt so game breaking weapon swaping no would be kittening. Having a thief switch to pistols when a ranger is assulting a point is kitten i cant switch to my anti pistol thief build on the fly because it doesnt exist. THIS Right here is the reason its kitten

in PvP

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

Mhmmm…. Thats a though one…

On the one Hand, I like that you are forced to make certain decisions in your build. It has always been a part of GW1 to analyze the Metagame and plan your teamcomp accordingly.

It also helps to make builds more distinguished from another, like if I wanted to run Staff or Focus on Ele, I was still able to move around the Map really fast with Ride the Lightning, this mobility-aspect is a factor on almost every class and it’s gonna be harder to decide not to run sth. like a Warhorn etc.

On the other Hand, the Switching of Traits, Skills and Weapons was a good counter to potentially OP and Extreme Team-Setups, like Mass-Condition, 1-2-3-Spikes and stuff like that (we haven’t seen a lot of that in GW2, but think about all the weird builds we had in GW1, which forced players that played a more balanced build to implement some sort of counter to that build).

What I would’ve liked to see is a mixture of the two extremes, treat weapon-, skill and traitswitching sorta like Trading Card Games did with their Sidedeck:

Players choose 1 extra Weapon they can swap to while out of Combat: You can set a Number of Swaps if you want to mitigate ppl just swapping it for Swiftness or sth. Same goes for Skills and Traits: Choose 1-2 Extra Skills/Traits you can Switch to.

There would also be other, maybe easier ways to balance this out, like giving cooldowns of a few seconds to all skills on a weapon you switched in or a Skill etc.

TL:DR
There are IMHO positive and negative effects to this change, I would have preferred a not so drastic change, but sth. in the middle of now and what it was before the patch (give a certain number of swaps, restrain the amount of weapons/skills/traits you can swap to or sth. like that)

in PvP

Posted by: FuVirus.6398

FuVirus.6398

i agree with the decision. it brings in the unpredictability factor, something that tpvp has not had. once you commit to a build, you have to make it work, period. constant switching was just silly. so if one team decides to do something out of the ordinary, and they pull it off well, why should the other team have the capability to directly counter that almost instantly? this change will encourage planning and organizing before a match. and as poster above me said, it encourages balanced builds that can adapt to different situations.

So you are saying that one team managed to do a good cheese start and therefore should automatically win because of that? You are saying that the other team should just lose (even tho they might be even better) just because they got cheesed? No comeback scenarios? No evolving gameplay?

Nop how about you make a balanced team so you dont get hard counterd? I think that might work :O

FuVirus Top 30 NA leaderboard/

Mesmer / Elemntalist / Ranger

in PvP

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

Bark

yup

I mean I don’t even see you in Frees nor Paids.

And I’ve never seen you there if and when they even pop. Means nothing other than apparently you’re not a late night WCNA player.

Let alone see you in PvP at all.

Same thing as above, except not only am I in PvP I also participate in W3 where I can see far more class diversity being tested than free tourney’s where the gametype is pretty bad and the meta promotes no diversity.

And I actually got a few people who can vouch that I’m legit better than you and how you think I am to be honest.

omg, I got friends too! Yay! Just like in elementary school lets play the game where we have our friends come prove how awesome we are at life!
lol, child.

That should be enough if you honestly think whatever I do or say lacks credibility.

Actually it’s more of the same drivel that only reinforces your lack of credibility in my eyes. But whatever cap’n.

@Topic:
So basically people are mad that a change was made that actually forces some kind of ‘tradeoff’ decision making in PvP, and yet they’re ‘pros’. Fairly oxymoronic. Granted it’s a small thing that won’t affect many players builds but at least it’s a start. On another positive perhaps it will help showcase even more the limitations and problems of some weapons and traits in the game when they see things like:
“Hmm, now that they can’t carry it for the speed buff no warriors ever use a horn. They certainly don’t spec for it. Why is that? Maybe we can look into making it a more viable option.”

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in PvP

Posted by: Jesiah.2457

Jesiah.2457

^ This guy gets it.

in PvP

Posted by: XiL.4318

XiL.4318

Not being able to swap Utilities is going to drastically screw over pretty much every popular Necro build for tourny’s for sure. Being able to swap Elite and Swap for Movement speed were essential to keeping Necro competitively viable no matter what build you ran. Now Necro is completely screwed. You either build Attrition (which all other classes are better at and can shut you down), or you run mobility and give up all your powerful tools that make having mobility useful.

We can hurry up and die. That is Necro meta now. Hurry up and die.

But think of the poor Warriors. They are completely boned. They can’t swap condition removal and CC anymore so they are screwed no matter what they do. Conditions will get them no matter which they choose because without the CC they can’t kill anything and without the condition removal….they can’t live long enough to kill anything….

I feel like I live in that movie where a common kitten goes to the future and becomes the smartest person alive. It is like people just don’t think stuff through. They rely on random chance and feelings that shape popularity.

I can name more than a few popular things, and people, that ended up being detrimental. And we can throw away Hitler and Stalin just as a little gimme from me to you. That’s like playing a Heartseeker spam thief. I’d rather lose playing well than win by smashing my face on the keyboard while watching TV and eating a sammich.

(edited by XiL.4318)

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

the plan is be the same old single build balanced Crappy Guild Wars 1 all along.

this is not deathmatch. locked stuffs works well in a deathmatch game but not in this mechanic of capping points.

(edited by alcopaul.2156)

in PvP

Posted by: Taym.8326

Taym.8326

Personally, I feel that if they decide to unlock utilities then the need to unlock weapons as well. My reasoning for this is due to elementalists, engineers, and thieves. All three of these classes have little to no issues with mobilities and are either weapon locked in combat, or have so few weapons to choose from that they will have access to high mobility without many changes.

Firstly touching on the elementalist, their class mechanic gives them far more skills that almost every other class available per weapon. This allows then to have an easy time with mobility and uptime with almost every set giving these buffs. A weapon lock has little to no effect on them, as it does not hinder them other than perhaps using staff speed to run between points but its not REALLY needed.

The engineer has the ability to have perma swiftness (and vigor) on bundle swaps, this is firstly REALLY good for mobility but then engie has further advantage if utilities are unlocked but weapons are not. Engies have no available mobility into their basic weapon design, so locking those changes nothing out of combat, however their utilities which replace their weapons can allow for a much better “adaptation” parameter than will be experienced by any other class.

Thief is the similar to the others but for a different reason. The initiative system does not promote the swapping of weapons so their second weapon is usually made for mobility or AoE, luckily this is the exact same weapon (shortbow). The weapon lock will not change mobility as thieves can spec for run speed on dodge roll so mobility remains extremely high.

Where does this leave the rest of us. Rangers have no out of combat access to swiftness without taking war horn (which was already a staple for power, and even though it wasn’t a condi weapon some condi players take it anyway), this will make more players use this weapon meaning less build diversity in rangers. The other two weapons for ranger which allow for larger mobility is greatsword and short sword, which are both mostly power based weapons. Power mobile, condition not?

Warriors greatsword, shortsword and war horn, Mesmers focus, necro warhorn, guardian staff and I am sure you get the picture. I am all for creating something which puts more of a stress on player skill and build flexibility, however only allowing utility swapping definately benifits the three mentioned classes in terms of mobility and adaptability. I just hope the developers do lock everything, or remove the weapon restrictions so we are all in the same boat so to speak.

in PvP

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

I disagree with the OP. I love this change.

in PvP

Posted by: Hawke.6943

Hawke.6943

This change has it pros and cons.
I personaly like it! More hybrid/balanced builds.

sure, being able to swap uties in that “oh kitten” moments had it pros.
But its nothing more than cheating. Calling it “pro’s judgement” is naive and stupid.

You show your “skill” by adapting to the game’s rules and beating teams that counter you, and not just swap skills whenever u want. that makes it easy!

Desolation ( EU )

in PvP

Posted by: Daays.4317

Daays.4317

lol.

People think removing choices somehow promotes diversity. Fascinating.

All this means is one player on your team with a universal build joins first and the rest of your teammates wait and see what he calls out and adjust accordingly.

Nothing has changed, except people won’t join games till the the timer runs out to hide their comp and gear setups. Or they’ll run some odd weapons and swap to them at the last second to confuse people.

Sounds like fun!

Begun the Build Wars has.

(edited by Daays.4317)

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

lol.

All this means is one player on your team with a universal build joins first and the rest of your teammates wait and see what he calls out and adjust accordingly.

Nothing has changed, except people won’t join games till the the timer runs out to hide their comp and gear setups. Or they’ll run some odd weapons and swap to them at the last second to confuse people.

Sounds like fun.

Perfect! You just inspired a great fix to a probably already existing problem.

Solution : You should not be able to see the team until the team name is displayed. Therefore things like swapping at the last second would not exist I’m going to make a thread about this, thanks.

in PvP

Posted by: Yagamy.1569

Yagamy.1569

i already see ppl swapping chars when they died or smth lol gg

in PvP

Posted by: SAtaarcoeny.8476

SAtaarcoeny.8476

yeah i agree my mesmers shouldnt all be naked like really? well ty danto for making a post about this hopefully my mesmers dont stay naked forever

URTFC.COM

BIG GW2 TOURNAMENT INC SPONSORED BY URTFC.COM

in PvP

Posted by: Leuca.5732

Leuca.5732

Historically, a well-balanced build is not going to get cheesed by anything but the most OP kitten, and anything that is clearly so OP will get nerfed. There’s a reason good balance teams in GW1 did so well and had a lot of respect from the pvp playerbase. Build advantages exist and that will always be the case; it is up to players to be good enough to overcome these challenges, and that’s the excitement you get from the game.

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

The oddest part about all this is that the option to swap just about anything was present start on.
As if they hadn’t learned a thing from GW.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

in PvP

Posted by: Sakulos.7963

Sakulos.7963

Beach please

This update is great because:
1. It was stupid to watch someone constantly swapping weapons. I casted rock barrier on elem every time when i was out of combat, that makes “good plays”?
2. You could change amulet and counter team comp, now you have to build all around or predict what to wear. No braindead combacks (they killed us, i swap amulet we win 111!!)
3. You couldnt change the build to be power/condition right away with simply swaping amulet.
4. Now actually mobility skills are worth something, and you will want to have them if you are roamer, not just click for weapon in your bag to move faster.
5. Your community action against Anet is pathetic, please stahp, delete the post, edit .
6. You said GOOD (pro I LOLD) players can adapt, so now adapt to that GREAT UPDATE kitten You are full of sheet to be honest.
7. Anet thanks for being smart, now matchmaking and we are fine bros.
8. All the best 2 Danto, and the rest “pro” whiners, open your eyez.

Carebear Sss here ^^

[nRBL] Next Rebel guild leader

in PvP

Posted by: Follidus.8027

Follidus.8027

lol.

Sounds like fun!

Begun the Build Wars has.

hello sheep

Cause I ain’t perfect, I never said I was.
But now they’re hating cause a brotha finally got some buzz
www.twitch.tv/Follidus – Team Absolute Legends