Opinions on the new features

in PvP

Posted by: Tiriyon.8735

Tiriyon.8735

I will start with the things I feel needs improvements and move on the things I think are good as they are.

MMR- I haven’t felt a great balance on team making, the only thing I did notice that the system is trying to match balanced numbers of weight class (heavy/medium/light armor). It seems the system is taking any consideration of professions other then armor weight. Also, it seems that the “player skill” match making isn’t working well, I mainly faced a low skilled teams or been matched with low skill players (that’s how I feel). Only on rare times I did feel a balance between the two teams in terms of player skill.

Leaderboards- the new ladder resembles to me a more of a PvE grind ladder then an actual competitive ladder. It seems players can get high on the ladder without actually being good at PvP but rather play a lot of ranked games and get these points as much as they can without much consideration to win/lose ratio.

Now moving to the things I found awesome about these new features:

UI- looks amazing, a nice welcomed change.

Map selection- a very good way to vote for maps and keeping it a bit random, also nice visualization on the UI.

Unranked Arena- finally a place to train in that does not affect the player’s score in a competitive set up as ranked arena.

And finally noting some bugs:
*double queue

• team queue got canceled but 1 party member got into the arena even after declining.

That’s all, thanks for reading so far.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

It seems players can get high on the ladder without actually being good at PvP but rather play a lot of ranked games and get these points as much as they can without much consideration to win/lose ratio.

not entirely true.

if players are matched against really good teams, they will not be able to reach the minimum team points threshold of 200 points at all. it will result in blowouts like 500 vs 100+ at best.

only players who play a lot, and lose matches with a team score of at least 400 will have a chance to steadily climb the current test season leader board.

in PvP

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I think the problem is that even the best players can’t get high on the leaderboards without playing a LOT of ranked games.

Maybe they should create two leaderboards, one to track games won and one to track players skill level.

in PvP

Posted by: Tiriyon.8735

Tiriyon.8735

Even so, you can just “farm” the ranked games to get more points. Another issue that may rise by this leader board greed is that players which are mainly there for their place on the ladder might stay to cap points without any consideration of the situation (example 3 players on one empty capture point) only to achieve the 100 points needed to get a score. (not 100% sure about that)

in PvP

Posted by: GhOst.4019

GhOst.4019

I think the problem is that even the best players can’t get high on the leaderboards without playing a LOT of ranked games.

Maybe they should create two leaderboards, one to track games won and one to track players skill level.

There is no perfect way for a system to determine a players “skill” level for a leader board… You want a leader board to reward players with high win %? Then we go back to rewarding players that are 7-0 and never play again. Put a set amount of games in that must be played to prevent this? Now you are still making it a grind. They want to reward players who play the kitten game. If someone wants to have no life and play 600 games in 30 days, so be it; he gets a reward. At least he is dedicated. You want to reward only the BEST players? Ok, so Noscoc is a top player..he only plays 20 games in 30 days but gets a reward for being one of the best. That makes no sense. If the top players really want a reward (they don’t give a kitten), then they will need to play the games like everyone else. Anet never said we will rewards the best 250 players in the game…They said they will reward the top 250 players on the LB’s (aka, the most dedicated to playing, aka the hardcore PvPers, whether they are the best or not).

Everyone is complaining about how they have to actually PvP to get a reward. Sad. The rewards are stupid anyway. But my god, what was Anet thinking on making you actually have to PvP to get a reward. Were you the guy that was 11-3 in the top 10 of LB’s? Now your mad because you can’t exploit for a free reward? Play & you shall receive. If a mini Llama that important to you, I don’t know what to say.

Even so, you can just “farm” the ranked games to get more points. Another issue that may rise by this leader board greed is that players which are mainly there for their place on the ladder might stay to cap points without any consideration of the situation (example 3 players on one empty capture point) only to achieve the 100 points needed to get a score. (not 100% sure about that)

This is exactly how it doesn’t work.

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

(edited by GhOst.4019)