PVP, Elites Oh my

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: starhunter.6015

starhunter.6015

So any base player not upgrading to HoT can’t even use the Elite lines, let alone try out the new pets on a ranger. I am sorry but that is complete an utter Kittens.

Players who NEVER played Guild wars 1 have been fully able to use the HoM pets. So why is it any different now ? I know a few people who wanted to try out the Elites in PVP before shelling out money for HoT and now they can’t. Anet seriously has gated the original core game for players.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Zerothousand.3089

Zerothousand.3089

so what you’re saying is you want everything for free?

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

starhunter.6015

No, never once said I wanted anything for free. Did you even read the whole post ? HoM gave players exclusive pets to use in PVE and PVP those same pets made available to any player who never owned GW1. So why are the new pets gated, the new Elite lines gates in PVP is what I am wondering. Maybe some people need a taste of what to expect to urge them to buy HoT. Just saying ya know.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: tetrodoxin.2134

tetrodoxin.2134

Pretty sure they will get a taste of elite specs when entering a match.
One way or another.

Anet hates [your class], since [other classes] got buffs while [your class] only received nerfs.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

Because PvP is a game mode. Not a training zone. If it was free to try in PvP, people who only PvP wouldn’t need to buy the expansion, while people who PvE would. Now which of these scenarios is the fair one?

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: glaphen.5230

glaphen.5230

Because PvP is a game mode. Not a training zone. If it was free to try in PvP, people who only PvP wouldn’t need to buy the expansion, while people who PvE would. Now which of these scenarios is the fair one?

First one because the 2nd one is P2W.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

I dont understand, you just wanted everything just because its a Guild Wars game?

Its not Guild Wars 1 and i dont think players should should get the new spec since they didnt get the HOT. Now them making certain things from actual guilds and fractals unusable without HOT is crap. You wanting everything in PvP that other players just paid for is cry city.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Terimac.5871

Terimac.5871

So buy the expansion.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: cakeonroof.7385

cakeonroof.7385

Buy the expac

If you cant afford it, get a job

Dont expect a developer to put in thousands of hours of creating new optional content for charitable purposes. They need to make money too, which is fair to me.

People have paid $50-100 of their hard earned money to acquire optional content

So why do you feel entitled to get it for free?

EU since Aug 2012

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

starhunter.6015

Buy the expac

If you cant afford it, get a job

Dont expect a developer to put in thousands of hours of creating new optional content for charitable purposes. They need to make money too, which is fair to me.

People have paid $50-100 of their hard earned money to acquire optional content

So why do you feel entitled to get it for free?

Never said entitled for free. If you had read what I wrote about HoM from GW1 giving exclusive pets in PVE/PVP yet players who only have gw2 can still use the pets in GW2. Wondering how is that any different .

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Dave.6819

Dave.6819

i totally agree with OP. i really think testing before buying is a fair thing to do. i myself am wondering to buy it or not. and its not because i dont have money or anythin. its just a simple curiosity to try it out if it’s fun or not. if it’s decent – i’d buy and continue playing. if it’s not – i’d just carry on to other games cuz gw2 already bored the crap out of me. so yes, i think testing before buying is a fair request. you dont just dump your money for something that you might not even like.

Thief prof. really needs your attention
#dyingbreed

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Well OP it depends on the reasons the HoM pets were put there in the first place. It could be to alleviate any “pay 2 win” claims when someone gets beaten by a black moa using ranger but they can’t use it themselves. I know, they’re functionally the same as other pets, but it still wouldn’t stop some people whining and crying because they need to buy and play GW1 to use them and they’re better pets.

As for the new ranger pets, they’re from the expansion, plain and simple. They aren’t bonuses, they aren’t unlocks for being really impressive in another game. It is straight up expansion content as those creatures are from there, you want it, you buy the expansion.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Nythrilyn.2146

Nythrilyn.2146

It’s because it isn’t Anet anymore, its NCsoft. They really didn’t think about it when it came to the effects the Elite Spec’s would have in PvP. Even though there really is no true balance, this is just made it a joke. Now you are fighting against those who decided to buy the expansion, when they should just make it a flat playing field like it was before the expansion was patched. Either make it a part of the PvP selection only or not at all..

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Kalamire.6148

Kalamire.6148

Wait, you have to pay money to access the content of an expansion?
This practice is most certainly uncommon indeed, you are right, this is a massive issue.
Why would ArenaNet gate all this amazing new content behind a price tag, it’s not like a business wants money, right?

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Ores.7501

Ores.7501

It was exactly the same in GW1, to stay competitive you had to get all 3 chapters so no surprise really. And for the record we don’t know yet if all the elite specs will make it to the meta so chill and see what happens before going all out about P2W.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: vexit.4695

vexit.4695

So any base player not upgrading to HoT can’t even use the Elite lines, let alone try out the new pets on a ranger.

Probably because it’s part of Heart of Thorns.

Players who NEVER played Guild wars 1 have been fully able to use the HoM pets. So why is it any different now ?

Hall of Monuments just adds skins, four pet reskins, and a few minis. How does this affect gameplay at all?

Anet seriously has gated the original core game for players.

Elite specializations and new ranger pets aren’t part of the core game. They’re part of the expansion.

So why are the new pets gated, the new Elite lines gates in PVP is what I am wondering.

Why is it gated? Because you didn’t pay for it. Are you asking them to gate HoM pets to? The second one really doesn’t make any sense so clearly you’re suggesting that the elite specializations and ranger pets, parts of the expansion, shouldn’t be exclusive to the people who bought the expansion.

No, never once said I wanted anything for free.

Never said entitled for free.

I want you to think about what you’re saying here. You’re saying above “We got HoM content for free, why is HoT content any different? I don’t want anything for free though!”

That would be like me saying “I can go to this homeless shelter for free, how is this two story house any different?”

This practice is most certainly uncommon indeed, you are right, this is a massive issue.
Why would ArenaNet gate all this amazing new content behind a price tag, it’s not like a business wants money, right?

This guy gets it.

Paying money for stuff? Who’d a thunk it?

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

If GW2 ever wants a good PvP scene, ESports even, it should not gate far more powerful elite specs and Ranger pets behind a $50USD pay wall.

PvP should be a level playing ground, regardless of expansion content, otherwise its too much P2W when you look at the new specs.

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Loki.9412

Loki.9412

Geez im sick of seeing these pathetic threads crop up every week. People just straight up expecting a free game because they have seen the new specs in action and are crying because they are too tightfisted to pay for the expansion. Newsflash, HoT (and its new specs) are an expansion pack, meaning its new content, meaning it should, like any other expansion, DL pack or sequel, be kittening paid for. Moderators should start handing out bans for people who continually whine about this. I dont want someone who is not willing to pay to have the same gaming experience as me, and that is fair. Besides, its not like the old specs are completely obsolete.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Ironcloud.3892

Ironcloud.3892

Elite specs, as a pvp only thing, should probably be something you can buy from the gemstore individually. Perhaps anet could even implement a free elite spec rotation that gives core players access to 1 or 2 random specs every other day (like in LoL or something).

It’s super important that Anet maintain their ‘equal-playing-field’ mentality for pvp if they want to build a healthy competitive game.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: jayson.6512

jayson.6512

Just like in Guild Wars 1 you don’t buy the expansion then you don’t get the new skills and profession and other content. I don’t understand why other people can’t understand that.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Demented Yak.6105

Demented Yak.6105

You may deny it but this really just sounds like you want stuff for free.

No.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: MAN.9046

MAN.9046

like, I’d love a free TRIAL just to test out the elite specs(like, 1 day/month), that’s hardly gonna net a loss for a net now will it? And anyone who was on the hedge will make up his mind. Then again the main reason i didn’t buy expac is because i don’t trust anet’s sorry excuse for a “balance team” to not overnerf/overbuff specs/create a 2nd d/d ele, $50 is too much to pay(and no im financially well off :P ) when quality and consistency are not guaranteed, that and I only PvP, maybe when HoT goes for $10-20 I’ll gladly buy it, just like i did with core game.
And I’m not saying they shouldn’t charge $50 for it, it’s completely within their rights to do so.
Oh and the fact that HoT is PvE-centric, yet there are people who only do PvP diminish the value of the expac even more, why would anyone pay full price when they plan on enjoying a minor portion of the product, and that portion is plagued by imbalance issues due to the incompetency of whoever’s in charge lol.
$20 for a PVP add-onn seems more reasonable given all the nonsense present in PvP

RIP
FeelsBadMan

(edited by MAN.9046)

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Leeto.1570

Leeto.1570

It should be for free in first place.
When i bought GW2 there was 2 main selling points that got my interest competitive PVP and no expansions.
For someone who used to play WoW this was big deal cause i was tired for paying 50$ every few years just so i can do same stuff i did before.
In GW2 its just BS there isnt even the leveling/gearing in between im doing literally same thing i was doing 2 days ago with build being only change.

I dont know what these tools are talking about, at release anet said that game is built in a way that there will be no need for expansion and you dont get any amazing content you get 1 trait line which in most cases just kittens on old traitlines and is must for PVP.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Shadowstep.6049

Shadowstep.6049

Well, i have xpac. But what really bothers me is that i can’t play my favorite build (which doesn’t include elite spec) anymore because Anet decided to make elite specs so stupidly broken and pretty much mandatory. I hate new elite specs, i do not enjoy them, i did buy xpac yet still forced to play that garbage if i actually want to win any matches.

Really really dissappointing.

(edited by Shadowstep.6049)

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

The Hot upgrade for rangers is the broken mess called druid. Pets are a rangers profession mechanic and the new ones should be available in PvP.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Scambug.3502

Scambug.3502

Because it’s been their stance from day one that PvP should be fair and all players equal in power.
Also, this is a 99% PvE expansion, it’s not worth the price tag for a PvPer.
The only PvP content we get is Stronghold (core players have access), League (core players will have access) and elite specs. So essentially we have to dish out 50 bucks just so we can have access to one new trait line. Not worth it.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: trytonianYeti.4389

trytonianYeti.4389

Because it’s been their stance from day one that PvP should be fair and all players equal in power.
Also, this is a 99% PvE expansion, it’s not worth the price tag for a PvPer.
The only PvP content we get is Stronghold (core players have access), League (core players will have access) and elite specs. So essentially we have to dish out 50 bucks just so we can have access to one new trait line. Not worth it.

That’s exactly why I didn’t buy expac…the resources for creating the content went to PVE.

But like someone asked, if they offered a low priced xpac for pvp, I’d buy it. I don’t mind paying $50 if I PVE lots. But I don’t. It’s bores me.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Hmm. man I’ve played gw2 for a bit longer. and I must say that the damage seems to have spiked up way up. I used to think the elite specs weren’t all that hard but then I realized that you indeed need to have an elite spec to compete. And not because they are unbeatable, they are still beatable. But rather in a teamfight you simply get out dp’sed no matter how strong a core class is individually. Beating them in 1v1 is not impossible. Hard but not impossible. But the moment you enter a teamfight. There is so much AOE and raw dps or condi’s thrown around that you as a core class have no place here.

For example
>The traps of DH. Be they medi DH or Burning DH. Just deal an insane amount of damage. hitting for an average of about 4 k. from what I’ve seen. And that is just a single trap. Forcing you to go ranged. And if you have some dps behind your ranged weaponry or condi’s then yes you can defeat him in a ranged battle. But is still going to take a quite some time.. And going for the decap is pretty much a nono here. cause you either get nuked by a trap or take so much time fighting one that it’s other powerfull elite spec friends come around.

>Berserker. Uh yeah, never tought I’d actually talk about burning bieng to strong. But if you actually go condi specced. and use rages. there easily like 3 to 4 utilities that allow you to use 1 k of burning for 3 to 4 secs. I can tell. Because I used one. And DPS on berserker is just amazing. Also the quickness combined with either condi’s or dps is actually just makes them hit prolly just as hard as a dragonhunter and scrapper.

Granted I cannot give an eleborate summary on the other elite specs. But now my opinion has changed completely. As it’s now. I’m actually starting to believe that regular classes really stand no chance.

The elite spec is really an powerup rather then going into a different way.

Berserker>Warrior
DH>Guardian
Scrapper>Engineer etc

seems to be the case here. The only elite spec that is not kittenely powerfull at the moment seems to daredevil imo.

I do feel sorry for those that do not have the expansion. Well I hope people are going to fight ways to fight the elite specs in pvp. other then countering them in 1 v 1. which is not enough to win the match.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Nythrilyn.2146

I am one that didn’t buy the expansion due to reasons. I have been reading the forums about how a lot of people are disappointed by it and how long it will take to open up the full elite spec.. now as I haven’t logged in and gong by the way PvP has always been set up ie: take a level 2 into PvP zone you have everything unlocked on traits etc etc, has this also been implemented for the elite specs for those that own the expansion?

In other words, if they haven’t unlocked all the content in masteries etc in PvE, is it all unlocked for them when they enter the PvP Lobby? If so.. then loooooooooool GG Anet I mean… *cough NCsoft cough *

Just want to know if I am wrong on this or not.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

glaphen.5230

I am one that didn’t buy the expansion due to reasons. I have been reading the forums about how a lot of people are disappointed by it and how long it will take to open up the full elite spec.. now as I haven’t logged in and gong by the way PvP has always been set up ie: take a level 2 into PvP zone you have everything unlocked on traits etc etc, has this also been implemented for the elite specs for those that own the expansion?

In other words, if they haven’t unlocked all the content in masteries etc in PvE, is it all unlocked for them when they enter the PvP Lobby? If so.. then loooooooooool GG Anet I mean… *cough NCsoft cough *

They are instantly unlocked on the bottom trait line for SPvP if you own the expansion.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Nythrilyn.2146

Thanks for that glaphen. sPvP was one of the things I was hoping I could still enjoy, but obviously you need the expansion just to be on a fair playing field.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

yeah dude. you can just play them in pvp. ive been jamming scrapper & I’ve yet to grind EotM to unlock it for wvw yet.

to everyone else: homes this is just they way expansions to video games are. they are not free. they come with stuff. GW2 is nice because you get leagues, stronghold, & the new WvW map for free. the rest you will have to pay for, just like every other game with an expansion ever.

is it p2w? eh, debatably. not all the specs are necessarily better people just have no idea how to fight them yet. but regardless, in games like CoH2 (a ww2 strategy game) you have to buy expansions to unlock new armies. you have to fight armies you may not own. the same goes for so many other games, only people who buy the paid expansion can play it.

i bought the game in beta because my friend convinced me to. i played it for ~3 years. I’m perfectly happy to pay for new subclasses & a new class. the new WvW map, leagues, & raiding for legendary armour are just bonuses.
i bought it because i thought it would be fun, & guess what it is.

so buy it if you want it dude.
don’t if you don’t.
don’t whine on the forum begging for anet to essentially give you $50 or lend you $50 for a month. grow up. it looks pathetic.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Kageseigi.2150

Kageseigi.2150

Hmm, what about allowing non-HOT players to “test” the elites inside the PvP Lobby only, but not actually in a match? At least they could try the new skills against golems, see how they like them, and perhaps learn how to counter them.

Suggestions to overhaul the Thief…

* * * Thief Trait Shakeup * * *

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Varonth.5830

Varonth.5830

As a player who bought HoT I am all for giving free players full access to all elite specialisation in PvP.

They made a huge step forward by making the game free 2 play. Now they try to push the games PvP aspect further with the 400k pricepool on pvp leagues.

And then they add new stuff for classes in the form of elite specialisation, some of them being plain upgrades and ask for more than 40€ to unlock them. No way of getting them by just playing PvP. This is the defintion of Pay to win. You can straight up buy power with real money, which in unavailable to those not paying money. Sure they don’t have to open that content, but you might aswell burn that 400k pricepool as a marketing stunt. That might have a better effect than showing more people GW2 pvp and then tell them: “Oh these really cool classes? Yeah, you can only get them by paying real money.”

Even if they get balanced at some point, sidegrades are still required to play PvP to its fullest. It’s like a game like LoL hiding some champions behind a paywall without a price for ingame currency. The outcry in their community would be massive… hell in any gaming community.

But in GW2 some just defend it by saying: “It’s an expansion what do you expect?”

Answer: I expect that anyone I fight has the same opportunity to use the same tools I have at my disposal without having to buy them with real money. I don’t want to fight enemies which are at an disadvantage just because I decided to buy this thing.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Zanther Deathbringer.4762

Zanther Deathbringer.4762

Hmm, what about allowing non-HOT players to “test” the elites inside the PvP Lobby only, but not actually in a match? At least they could try the new skills against golems, see how they like them, and perhaps learn how to counter them.

Or how about they just go on youtube and see them that way?

Also, I’m pretty sure GW1 campaigns had campaign specific skills.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

oh they did.

GW1 also didn’t try to be an Esport either. All the elite specs do is make the barrier of entry even larger.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

If they gave pvp players elite specs… there would be no reason for us to buy the expansion. As B2P or F2P player we allready got everything else for free….

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

glaphen.5230

If they gave pvp players elite specs… there would be no reason for us to buy the expansion. As B2P or F2P player we allready got everything else for free….

If you bought it how did you get everything else for free.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

Got the xpack, don’t mind if free players get the elite specs for free, why would I? Doesn’t sound like fun to have an advantage just due to currently broken elite specs. Don’t think it’s a good idea to force people to either buy it or quit, not like pvp scene is extremely populated anyways.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: cakeonroof.7385

cakeonroof.7385

This thread is beginning to sound like one of those Sponsor a Child commercials on TV.
For a few cents a day, sponsor a tight fisted person to get expac.

Then they quit after a few days

EU since Aug 2012

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: XxJolly.9071

XxJolly.9071

I know right, this has become p2w, we have to pay to have some balance

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

oh they did.

GW1 also didn’t try to be an Esport either. All the elite specs do is make the barrier of entry even larger.

Except you know… all those world tournaments they held.

Last I checked, you were required to buy Starcraft 2 expansions also.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Pvtpokeymon.1834

Pvtpokeymon.1834

No what should happen is Anet preventing people with access to the elite specs from playing in structured pvp against people who havent bought the expansion, also people with the expansion should have a tick box to turn it off if they wish to pvp with non expansion player’s, there we go problems solved everyones on an equal footing regardless how much they have spent or not.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

No what should happen is Anet preventing people with access to the elite specs from playing in structured pvp against people who havent bought the expansion, also people with the expansion should have a tick box to turn it off if they wish to pvp with non expansion player’s, there we go problems solved everyones on an equal footing regardless how much they have spent or not.

Except, you know, you dont have to actually use the elite specs even with expansion. Seems pretty equal to me.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

with the way things are going, elites are so strong they offer an advantage over traditional builds, in amny cases. makes it unfair and unbalanced to those who want to compete but cant afford the expansion.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Kharr.5746

Kharr.5746

with the way things are going, elites are so strong they offer an advantage over traditional builds, in amny cases. makes it unfair and unbalanced to those who want to compete but cant afford the expansion.

The new content just launched. It is being played in the wild for the first time. There’s no way it could be balanced. You’re jumping to conclusions when in reality, every MMO that launches new professions/skills has poor balance around the launch. There’s simply no evidence that the elites will continue to offer any advantage when balanced in the upcoming days/weeks.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

So any base player not upgrading to HoT can’t even use the Elite lines, let alone try out the new pets on a ranger. I am sorry but that is complete an utter Kittens.

Players who NEVER played Guild wars 1 have been fully able to use the HoM pets. So why is it any different now ? I know a few people who wanted to try out the Elites in PVP before shelling out money for HoT and now they can’t. Anet seriously has gated the original core game for players.

Guild Wars 1 was the same way. Deal with it, its fine as it is. If you want the skills, buy the game.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: abc.5790

abc.5790

This thread is beginning to sound like one of those Sponsor a Child commercials on TV.
For a few cents a day, sponsor a tight fisted person to get expac.

Then they quit after a few days

If I send money, will I get a neatly packaged profile of the person I’m sponsoring along with a personal letter and drawing?

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: LouDrew.1340

LouDrew.1340

I dont know what these tools are talking about, at release anet said that game is built in a way that there will be no need for expansion

This was never said.

PVP, Elites Oh my

in PvP

Posted by: Khaoscell.3641

Khaoscell.3641

Do not worry If you buy the Xpac you dont really get to use the elites either lol