PvP damage is quite high

PvP damage is quite high

in PvP

Posted by: Smdqt.9157

Smdqt.9157

Hey,
I play a guardian in sPvP (pickup games) and I have to say PvP damage is a bit high. Most of the time a 1v1 quickly escalates into 2/3v1 and there is literally no time to react or press buttons – my health just dips. Funny I say this because I run with full defense trait, almost 20k hp and sword/shield combo. When I played last night with a friend of mine I literally got all utility spells, no damage (conditions to boons, stability and -33% damage signet). Besides the l2p and other useful comments, anyone else feel the same? Kinda ruins the fun in the game when you run into a fight just to get globaled…

PvP damage is quite high

in PvP

Posted by: Aradim.4573

Aradim.4573

Not really no, as a guardian I have no trouble surviving 2 enemies until help comes my way. You also need to know what you’re fighting, for example a GS warrior relies on his bull charge/hundred blades combo to bring down his enemies most of the time, knowing how to avoid that is a big part of surviving, there’s no pure tank in this game.

PvP damage is quite high

in PvP

Posted by: Mianhae.5138

Mianhae.5138

Could you post your build and what are you dying fast to?

I’m sorry to say, but it is most likely your build (and the ways you’re trying to mitigate the damage)

PvP damage is quite high

in PvP

Posted by: mouse.1689

mouse.1689

Honestly, time to kill in this game is very high. Quickness buffs are by far the biggest culprit, and I think at some point the devs are going to need to tone down Quickness buffs across the board. In my opinion, (and I ’m sure plenty will disagree) all Quickness utilities should have their drawbacks removed and increase casting speed by 50% rather than 100%.

Aside from that, it’s also important to remember that PvP in this game is designed around Tournament style 5v5, NOT 8v8. Time to kill is generally much longer in 5v5 than in 8v8.

If your experience with PvP is limited to hotjoin 8v8 games, time to kill is going to feel artificially high, because the game wasn’t balanced around it at all.

PvP damage is quite high

in PvP

Posted by: dcgregorya.5386

dcgregorya.5386

You need to use your blocks and aegis more.

PvP damage is quite high

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

I am suprised this came from a guardian…

…but the truth is what’s already been said, you probably have a flimsy build, and you’re probably being targeted by players at least experienced enough to know if they burst you, you’ll go down.

Damage to me seems just about right on the whole. The people I see that are knocking me for a loop, usually end up dropping like a sack if I can hold out through their burst, and the guys that refuse to budge or take damage like the bunker guardians, can’t really kill anyone either.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

PvP damage is quite high

in PvP

Posted by: jertan.2054

jertan.2054

If you’re having this trouble as a guard, you might be doing it wrong.

Swole Acceptance [SWOL] – Recruiting on Yak’s Bend
Norn Guardian – 80

PvP damage is quite high

in PvP

Smdqt.9157

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fUAQNAR8elYgqCXEyNEm4ESWBD06BBZQ+z1DIyhaIA;TsABUKnoQygkAJLSOkkItoYEyOEA

Last build I played with for fun. Mind you I chose those spells b\c I was playing with the warrior friend, figured get something useful.
Thieves with 1981298472837590283- vanishes and bleedskittenme after my cds are down, shortbow trapper rangers are insane and lightning eles are fun as well. Realistically any decent class can global me at times, it feels weird dying so fast.

PvP damage is quite high

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

I can’t read that link, so I’ll just post this. If you have around 1800 toughness and 17k + life and a few traits into, say, retaliation, or one that burns enemies upon block, etc. you should never have trouble with a thief 1v1 again with their silly HS spam.

Just make sure you keep a stunbreak or two (I currently use 3) and pop your best defensive CDs right away, don’t wait with a thief.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

PvP damage is quite high

in PvP

Posted by: Pinder.5261

Pinder.5261

I find it difficult to believe that you have under 20k HP in a fully defensive build, as I’ve made many damage-heavy builds with just as much HP. In fact, my highest damage build (on a necro) has 28k hp. So I get the sense that you are itemizing incorrectly and not actually as tanky as you believe.

Outside of stats, using your dodge and aegis at wrong and right times makes a massive difference to your survival. Same with defensive oriented utilities. Some burst skills will eat you alive if you aren’t prepared for them.

PvP damage is quite high

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

In general I tend to doubt that “it’s the build” in these situations, usually it’s much more a question of skill. Did you dodge that burst from that warrior, did you block that heartseeker from the thief, are you removing conditions, etc. Yes, your build matters, but your dodges matter more when talking about getting focus fired. The “time to react” as it were, is not when you’ve been stunned and are taking a pounding, but before. Many people run “glass cannon” builds that do stupidly insane amounts of damage, but they sacrifice a great deal of toughness in order to do it. They generally begin with a stun and then unload on you. So, bring a stun breaker. Watch the field. See who is joining the fight. When you see the thief coming, get ready to dodge, or failing that get ready to block or use your stun breaker. Also it sounds like you’ve taken a lot of “selfish” damage reduction skills and have low damage. In a fight how are you going to help your team win? By not dying? Even if you manage to survive the longest, if you aren’t supporting your team or contributing to damage on targets then maybe you should reconsider your “strategy”. And lastly it sounds like you are standing around auto attacking some enemy and continue to not do much as you are being focus fired, as if your innate guardian “tankyness” would prevent you from dying without you doing actively anything. Doesn’t work like that. You have to actively prevent incoming damage or you’re just a punching bag.

PvP damage is quite high

in PvP

Posted by: Irascible.8210

Irascible.8210

Tanky Engineer, here. What is damage?

PvP damage is quite high

in PvP

Posted by: mickers.2715

mickers.2715

I did feel I was shoehorned into a more bursty spec toughness as a non plate wearer just doesn’t seem do much , i tried a build with permanent regen + traits to improve it, 2k toughness and could still be dropped in a few seconds. I think its just due to the fact ranger greatsword does really low damage atm so i couldn’t do enough pressure to make people play more defensively.

PvP damage is quite high

in PvP

Smdqt.9157

I ran 0/30/30/0/10 crit toughness with group stability, -33% damage and retal, conditions to boons signet. Full ogre runes and air/leech sigils