Season 5 looks terrible

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Nila.7813

Nila.7813

It just does. Same kittenty matchmaking, just visible elo rating, same terrible leaderboard system, same terrible rewards ( i dont need ascended gear as pvp player, no way to get a legendary even if youre top tier), same terrible balance. Also competitive is dead. Not even gonna bother.

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

I know right… What shakeup…

Low expectations. Let’s see what happens

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: shagwell.1349

shagwell.1349

It just does. Same kittenty matchmaking, just visible elo rating, same terrible leaderboard system, same terrible rewards ( i dont need ascended gear as pvp player, no way to get a legendary even if youre top tier), same terrible balance. Also competitive is dead. Not even gonna bother.

You don’t need ascended gear but a legendary as a pvp player? What?

[orz] below mediocre – we sponsor Arenanet
Piken Square EU, maybe soon on your server.

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I also thought what shakeup? No per class MMR which for me would be the base to have a good MMR matching. No Leaderboard? People seem to cry for that.
Lets see how it works. It´s definitly intresting to look at. It might be much better but doesn´t seem like a huge change. Well. If it creates good matches and exitement it will be a large step forward even if it doesn´t sound so.

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

They may not necessarily mean ‘drastic’ when using the phrase ‘shake up.’ It may just be verbiage with the intention of expressing “change is coming.” And it is.

Soft resets at the beginning of each season is a new change. Its also something many have requested.

Placement matches are new as well, and again something that the community asked specifically for.

The removal of pips as part of the match making equation isn’t new, but the separation of the pips/rewards from skill gauge are new. Looks like 2 new systems being implemented for this. I’m 100% certain they will have their bugs (what new system doesnt?), but we’ll see how it goes.

Overall, I am mildly interested in seeing how things work this season.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: steelheart.7386

steelheart.7386

Was not a fan of removing group option but this doesn’t sound bad to me or at least based on it I’m willing to give it a chance. The matchmaking could be better based on what I read. I don’t think you are being fair there are more changes then you are giving them credit for.

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

The guys in charge of pvp system development are not the ones in charge of class balance, @Evan lash is a code programmer…not a game designer, cut the guy some slack will ya, he has done what he can with limited tool gven

We all disilike current class balance, but you’re barking at the wrong door, do you know the guys who made elites? You must have seen the videos and yes those guys are the ones in charge of class balance

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

Terribul? That sounds great.

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

These seasons are terrible!>Anet where is my season 5!>Season 5 is terrible!

And the cycle continues

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Honest John.4673

Honest John.4673

Objectively different matchmaking, visible glicko rating so you can see how much of a sham you really are, leaderboards showing Top/All/Friends and Guilds in the video, consistent rewards since it’s not tied to pip stagnation. Balance has objectively changed also, you can’t tell me it’s the same as Season 1’s bunker hell. Also, competitive is finally alive with a visible skill rating which is literally the only reward true competitive players desire.

If you’re not gonna consider posting anything intelligent then yeah, why bother?

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

I also thought what shakeup? No per class MMR which for me would be the base to have a good MMR matching. No Leaderboard? People seem to cry for that.
Lets see how it works. It´s definitly intresting to look at. It might be much better but doesn´t seem like a huge change. Well. If it creates good matches and exitement it will be a large step forward even if it doesn´t sound so.

There is a leaderboard for the top 250 players (plus a friends/guild leaderboard for everyone else). The leaderboard awards unique titles at the end of the season.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

I’m 100% certain they will have their bugs (what new system doesnt?), but we’ll see how it goes.

I don’t make bugs. (That is a lie)

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’m 100% certain they will have their bugs (what new system doesnt?), but we’ll see how it goes.

I don’t make bugs. (That is a lie)

Lol none of us intentionally make bugs. But for every one we squash, seven more rear their annoying little heads.

(I do development too, I feel your pain)

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Ye,op you can always go and play another MMO with better PvP.
Oh wait.
There’s none.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Being able to play competitively with only 1 friend in a MMO just screams design failure. Why are you afraid full party of friends play together competitively? It’s downright insulting to say you have a “competitive” season and then prevent people that are the most competitive from playing together because they have more chance to win… You should have gone the other way around instead and make it so that a party of 5 is required for participating, if team balance was such a worry.

Then you could also just remove class stacking and 75% of the balance problems will go away. Or maybe you don’t have enough players left playing the game to do this? I really wonder why.

Your competitive mode is at a point where build variety is barely existent, balance is seriously questionable with 75% of the skills and traits being useless, and people can’t even group up together to be competitive… but you’re the developers that reinvented what good pvp should be in a MMO with the GvG mode in Guild Wars 1.

You must be aware enough about how much better GvG was in GW1 and how it’s what the players want: when Colin presented Stronghold it was presented as GvG in order to sell HoT…

Instead of making more 5v5 maps that play and feel exactly the same as the other maps why not make just one single 10v10 GvG map to interest that part of the competitive community that has been leaving the game?

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

I think a team of coordinated folks would be particularly over powered against equally skilled but not pre-made folks in this gank meta. I feel there should be an option for teams to go team each other if they want, but it should be sperated from those who want to solo/duo queue.

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

I think a team of coordinated folks would be particularly over powered against equally skilled but not pre-made folks in this gank meta. I feel there should be an option for teams to go team each other if they want, but it should be sperated from those who want to solo/duo queue.

Not enough full parties play to keep an entirely separate 5-man queue healthy 24/7. However, that doesn’t mean teams shouldn’t have a structured place to participate in PvP. This will be part of the the discussion around the followup poll regarding solo/duo queue.

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: sexuallegend.2153

sexuallegend.2153

I rely on premades to progress

Look, there was a poll and the community voted. Maybe you and your friends you q with should’ve made your opinions valid when it counted; literally counted. I’m happy premades won’t be a thing anymore. A very significant portion of those in diamond and legendary were carried there by pre-mades. If they are truely skilled, this q restriction changes nothing for them. I find that most players complaining about not being about to q with teams completely rely on premades to even be relevant in pvp. Sad, but comical.

Shadow, the Legend Myth
(Shadow the Jedi, An Arrogant Samurai, The Legend Myth, One Of The Avengers)
Best Player Episode 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgpC1yIGFB0

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

Look, there was a poll and the community voted. Maybe you and your friends you q with should’ve made your opinions valid when it counted; literally counted. I’m happy premades won’t be a thing anymore. A very significant portion of those in diamond and legendary were carried there by pre-mades. If they are truely skilled, this q restriction changes nothing for them. I find that most players complaining about not being about to q with teams completely rely on premades to even be relevant in pvp. Sad, but comical.

I have to agree with pretty much everything in this thread, there should be a place for full teams to compete. But in lieu of that it’s preferable to have solo/duo queue. I know one particular Legendary thief who tried to solo me on my condi warr… in full view. He didn’t even attack me from stealth to start. And yeah I won the 1v1 on point, surprise surprise. Quite a few legends got carried hard.

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Rolisteel.1375

Rolisteel.1375

Imo there are lot better players finished or stuck in ruby, diamond ( probably true full soloq players ) than lot of current legends. It just doesn’t feel right figting some legends and finishing them in 5-10sec as ruby player. A lot of legend players have only like low-mid max mid skill. You can see how good they are if you watching their character movement/control, what they are able to do in teamfight and what they are able to do in 1v1.

(edited by Rolisteel.1375)

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: sexuallegend.2153

sexuallegend.2153

Ppl in legendary have this elitist attitude as if they are indeed legends lmao. But they are usually just carried hard to legendary because they care too much about skins. I’ve found the most challenging players usually end up in Ruby getting and losing pips evenly due to the 50% chance of getting q’d with carried novices.

Shadow, the Legend Myth
(Shadow the Jedi, An Arrogant Samurai, The Legend Myth, One Of The Avengers)
Best Player Episode 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgpC1yIGFB0

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Eleazar.9478

Eleazar.9478

i think it looks dope

[Snky] FC don’t worry I’m just a scrub until I’m OP

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Rolisteel.1375

Rolisteel.1375

Ruby is pain division on EU for true full solo q. Sometimes you get people you can teamplay with and you have some solo q teamplay feeling and next time you only get terrible bads that like never played the game before and they are ruby. no focus, no dps, no team support, taking and leaving points undefended, fighting outside of points while enemy cap everything, all rush far after taking mid when we have 2 cap and die then we lose all caps and lose game again and my blood pressure goes up ( joking ) im again with stupidz.

(edited by Rolisteel.1375)

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Tomiyou.3790

Tomiyou.3790

I think it looks great.

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Jak Shadow.2864

Jak Shadow.2864

There is a leaderboard for the top 250 players (plus a friends/guild leaderboard for everyone else). The leaderboard awards unique titles at the end of the season.

Is this like the old leaderboards that showed what percentage you were at so you could aim to progress even outside the top ranks? That was a good system.

I think it was more than top 250 but I may be misrembering.

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: steelheart.7386

steelheart.7386

Imo there are lot better players finished or stuck in ruby, diamond ( probably true full soloq players ) than lot of current legends. It just doesn’t feel right figting some legends and finishing them in 5-10sec as ruby player. A lot of legend players have only like low-mid max mid skill. You can see how good they are if you watching their character movement/control, what they are able to do in teamfight and what they are able to do in 1v1.

Some also grouped in stronghold to legend. This new system will probably decide the vast majority of people’s skill level better but that doesn’t mean A-net shouldn’t have a place for full groups. Its up to them to come up with something for full groups and to encourage full groups to be made.

(edited by steelheart.7386)

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Mr Godlike.6098

Mr Godlike.6098

Skill based lader…so sooo sooooooooooo MUCH whining incoming on forums!

Overall new season sounds great! I hope there will some new viable amulets to try and play something fresh!

Was depressed ele…now depressed druid
Kawaleria (KW)

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Is this like the old leaderboards that showed what percentage you were at so you could aim to progress even outside the top ranks? That was a good system.

I think it was more than top 250 but I may be misrembering.

The old leaderboard was top 1000 I believe and did not show MMR, only win rate and rank.

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

All i wanted was soloq, can’t wait o.o
Also, reset and placement matches – weeee, someone is listening.
Do any games remove 1 day decay or only wins?

Off-topic: i am digging your eyebrows in the video, Evan

@Verp/Miaze/Nila (you srsly should stop making alt accounts): didn’t you make huge thread about quitting the game and “other things”, why do you care :P

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

The changes are good excpet for disallowing team queue lol. So there is no competitive mode in game for teams? That is fail.

But otherwise I dont know why people are moaning. These changes are good for the game. Probably the best patch they have done in 2 years for pvp. Finally a skill based leaderboard for bragging rights?

If the power creep on classes wasnt so bad this would be another golden age for pvp.

Evan doing well. The skill based leaderboard will allow top solo players to prove themselves and then join teams. This is how it used to work.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

(edited by Lordrosicky.5813)

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

Skill based lader…so sooo sooooooooooo MUCH whining incoming on forums!

Overall new season sounds great! I hope there will some new viable amulets to try and play something fresh!

If it’s anything like season 2 where I was not expected to carry people around…you can bet on it!

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Mushin.3928

Mushin.3928

The S5 changes look good to me. Unfortunately I don’t have much interest in playing Ranked after that balance patch that wrecked Rev. I still do unranked as a druid sometimes for dailies, thats about it. Druid is better than Rev for PvP-with-beer, at least.

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Patrick.2987

Patrick.2987

Elo based matchmaking this dev is a god.

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: kappa.2036

kappa.2036

@ Evan Lesh
We will see a balance patch also on the 13th december?

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

@ Evan Lesh
We will see a balance patch also on the 13th december?

Will have to wait for more info on that. It is not my area of expertise.

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Sad but I think there is a lot of truth in the above.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: masterfan.8375

masterfan.8375

I totally agree with what you said about rewards. Same o’l thing. Why don’t you give us PVP players a chance to get the legendaries? Why would I need an ascended gear for? At least make some vendor with account bound skins or something. It was really good back in the time when there was PVP Wardrobe and ranks actually took some time to get. You really ruined everything with the update where you lowered xp requierd for ranks.

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

I totally agree with what you said about rewards. Same o’l thing. Why don’t you give us PVP players a chance to get the legendaries? Why would I need an ascended gear for? At least make some vendor with account bound skins or something.

You want the ascended armor because its a new set of skins!

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

People are already making negative comments before all the info was released and before trying it.
I am personally looking forward to those changes. I love having “finally” a measure of my skills (or lack thereof) and who could complain about increased rewards!

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I totally agree with what you said about rewards. Same o’l thing. Why don’t you give us PVP players a chance to get the legendaries? Why would I need an ascended gear for? At least make some vendor with account bound skins or something.

New skins?!

Well crap, how am I going to have time to do wintersday booze collecting and season 5 stuff? (Don’t say reward track, the JP is immensely faster for gifts) Hmph

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Spartacus.3192

So still no Class Stacking prevention? sigh

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

The House of Paincakes serving it up hot and tasty. Thanks Bluxgore. This looks really good. I haven’t really played in over a year and I may come back for this season to try it out.

You are an asset to the team.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Not enough full parties play to keep an entirely separate 5-man queue healthy 24/7. However, that doesn’t mean teams shouldn’t have a structured place to participate in PvP. This will be part of the the discussion around the followup poll regarding solo/duo queue.

I was thinking about this when watching some discussion of another game, but what about having a more concentrated time period for this? Have a “hot time” of sorts, a couple hours per day (or week) where this mode is available, or at the very least would offer significantly better rewards.

Just pick the time that your metrics indicate most players play anyway, and make the 5v5 queues only available during that time, concentrating players there. It sucks for players that can’t play during that time block, obviously, but if they can’t have a reasonable play period outside that block then it isn’t really hurting them much anyway.

Could you guys PLEASE stop putting exclusive skins behind PvP. It is really onerous for us players that would prefer to not PvP. I don’t know how difficult it will be to acquire these new skins or if I’d even really want them, but I don’t want to go through the hell of earning The Ascension again. Please just let players who don’t want to PvP, not play PvP, without missing out on cool stuff.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: Nila.7813

Nila.7813

Could you guys PLEASE stop putting exclusive skins behind PvP. It is really onerous for us players that would prefer to not PvP. I don’t know how difficult it will be to acquire these new skins or if I’d even really want them, but I don’t want to go through the hell of earning The Ascension again. Please just let players who don’t want to PvP, not play PvP, without missing out on cool stuff.

Why is there no way to earn legendary in PvP? If youre a top tier player.
Ascended is absolutely USELESS for pvpers, but legendary are cool effects, why can’t a pvp player earn it for being one of the best?

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Spartacus.3192

Ascended is absolutely USELESS for pvpers, but legendary are cool effects, why can’t a pvp player earn it for being one of the best?

+10000

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: ThatNAESLGuard.6238

ThatNAESLGuard.6238

you have to win a ToL lol

Darek.1836

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

I don’t like the fact that you can’t play ranked in a group. If you and your friends are all working on your rank. Then you will all be separated and you won’t be able to do it together. I’m also confused about the decay how long before your rank starts to decay from being inactive. Some people have work or college meaning there are times when it’s a day or two before they can get back on. You shouldn’t be punished because you have a life outside guildwars.

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t like the fact that you can’t play ranked in a group. If you and your friends are all working on your rank. Then you will all be separated and you won’t be able to do it together. I’m also confused about the decay how long before your rank starts to decay from being inactive. Some people have work or college meaning there are times when it’s a day or two before they can get back on. You shouldn’t be punished because you have a life outside guildwars.

Decay happens in every division. There is a 3 day grace period, then 7 days of decay. Each game played will remove 1 day of decay.

This help?

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

+10000

Because there’d be no point in pve if you could get rewards from pvp.

Season 5 looks terrible

in PvP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

+10000

Because there’d be no point in pve if you could get rewards from pvp.

This is not necessarily true. If it were distinctly easier in one mode over another, then yes that would influence people to play in just the one mode. However, if its equally difficult and its just an alternative route, then people should more often simply choose that which they enjoy.