[Suggestion] Metal pips

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Metal makes everything better.

With that premise, I’d like to introduce a new concept to ease a bit the problem of lack of advance when having bad luck with matching and being stuck in alternate 50% win/lose ratios:

Metal Pips

What would metal pips be? Like the pips in Amber division, metal pips would be pips that are not lost upon defeat.

And how would you get these? Each division would have a number of wins that would grant your account a metal pip all the way to the left of the division, regardless of the current tier.

To put it simply, every number of wins would grant each division a pip that can’t be lost, until legendary is reached. Meaning that whether you are also losing or not, if you win enough times, you still pass to the next division, until you hit legendary.

For example:

• Amber would work just like now, and every pip will be metal one that can’t be lost.
  • Emerald would get a metal pip every 2 wins.
  • Sapphire would get a metal pip every 3 wins.
  • Ruby would get metal pips after every 4 wins.
  • Diamond would get a metal pip every 5 wins.

This would make the maximum possible wins on each tier go like this:

• Amber: 15 wins in this division is a guaranteed division pass.
  • Emerald: 40 wins in this division, and you pass.
  • Sapphire: 75 wins.
  • Ruby: 120 wins.
  • Diamond: 175 wins.

That makes 425 wins to legendary regardless of loses. That would mean that if you get at least 7 wins per day over the 56 days the league is up, you would still get to legendary, even if you lose other 7 times per day.

As the metal pips will be given to he left of the progress, the current tier may not be affected until the metal pips reach it, though, so you can still go back to the start of the tier, but the wins still accumulate, and eventually reach that tier.

As you can see, regardless of how you tune the numbers this would give anything for free as even with this you’ll need to rack up lots of wins to pass. Too much? Increase the wins per division. Too little? Decrease them. It’ll merely act as a cushion or a ‘pawl’ that prevents going back too much if you are also winning, so accumulating wins isn’t made pointless due to alternating wins and loses.

So what do you think? Metal makes everything better or not?

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: TheBravery.9615

TheBravery.9615

This is not the solution.

Rank should change depending on whether you win or lose a match, but should also consider variables such as your ability in teamwork, your ability to carry, and the odds stacked against you. Having “metal pip” would artificially bloat everyone’s rank and would not represent actual player ability (not to say that the current system represents actual player ability)

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Sounds like a good idea, and I’d be happy if this got implemented. But, this kinda takes away the point of the league a little, and makes the divisions pointless. Don’t get me wrong I’d love to be able to get my wings quickly, but I realize that the league is not something everyone is supposed to be able to “finish”.

Id rather see something like this added till ruby. As you can “grind” to get there as it is.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: bloodpyrope.8630

bloodpyrope.8630

Sounds terrific. You know what’s better? Someone else made a suggestion that we should award every win with 2 pips, and every loss with 1 pip. That way, everyone can advance and everyone would be happy!!!!

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: PhiL.7320

PhiL.7320

As a a player who ironically loves pvp’ing and yet seems to be stuck in amber, I hate the idea of metal pips. It would…dissipate the skill aspect of the ranking. When I go up, I want to earn it, to know that my skill level is similar to my team and my opponents. YEah it sucks to get matchmade with an inferior team, but I think metal pips would break it even more. At least now I know when I do move up, I’ll likely be with better players than I am now.

Also, regarding the backpiece, besides the fact that I am less than fond of its appearance, I am okay with a few items in the game that are potentially beyond my skill to obtain. I think it’s healthy, gives us something to work for in a game where most of the content isn’t that hard. Who doesn’t want a motivation to get better?

(edited by PhiL.7320)

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: Beliyal.7085

Beliyal.7085

Sounds somewhat good, but it would just make everyone grind to the end. Perhaps there should be something of the sort until a certain point?

For example, Amber stays as it is. Emerald and Sapphire get metal pips, but they require more wins in a row (I’d put 3 in Emerald and 4 in Sapphire). And after that, no more metal pips.

However, that would put grinders into Ruby against people who actually belong in Ruby which may again result in frustration and bad matchmaking. I can’t tell how metal pips would actually affect the player pool going into Ruby. I assume better players would progress faster, while others would still need a lot of time to leave Emerald/Sapphire. But then again, if someone is determined to play 50 matches a day, they’d probably get out of Emerald/Sapphire rather quick regardless of skill if those divisions had metal pips.

So ultimately, I don’t think it would truly help. It would just create another extreme. Maybe some part of it could be implemented together with some other solutions, but I’m not sure.

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

As a a player who ironically loves pvp’ing and yet seems to be stuck in amber, I hate the idea of metal pips. It would…dissipate the skill aspect of the ranking. When I go up, I want to earn it, to know that my skill level is similar to my team and my opponents. YEah it sucks to get matchmade with an inferior team, but I think metal pips would break it even more. At least now I know when I do move up, I’ll likely be with better players than I am now.

I would not bet any money on getting better people the higher you go. I’m seeing just as many brain dead fools in Sapphire as I did in Amber and Emerald.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

Metal makes everything better.

…snip…

• Amber would work just like now, and every pip will be metal one that can’t be lost.
  • Emerald would get a metal pip every 2 wins.
  • Sapphire would get a metal pip every 3 wins.
  • Ruby would get metal pips after every 4 wins.
  • Diamond would get a metal pip every 5 wins.

This would make the maximum possible wins on each tier go like this:

• Amber: 15 wins in this division is a guaranteed division pass.
  • Emerald: 40 wins in this division, and you pass.
  • Sapphire: 75 wins.
  • Ruby: 120 wins.
  • Diamond: 175 wins.

That makes 425 wins to legendary regardless of loses. That would mean that if you get at least 7 wins per day over the 56 days the league is up, you would still get to legendary, even if you lose other 7 times per day.

…snip…

Sorry, the league is actually a SPAMMABLE GRINDING to legendary already. We don’t need more of this.

We need to really have a SKILL based RANKED system, not much GRIND one.

For those that agree with me, please +1 and give more comments here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Skill-based-or-Grind-based-rank-system/first#post6028077

Thank you,

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

MithranArkanere.8957

You can’t quote numeric examples as the main point.

As I said, those are just examples.

Numbers can be tweaked, mechanics can change.

The main point is that wins should still accumulate and still count for something even if you don’t get winning or losing streaks, to prevent people from getting stagnated at a certain point.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

What you’re basically recommending is to remove the ability to lose a pip after a tier in a division is gained…

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

If you’re stuck in a division that is most likely the division you’re meant to be in UNLESS someone reveals to us something hugely flawed in the match making system

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

@ OP

nah

instead, leave division sorting as a thing that represents skill and remove grind elements from it

shift legendary acquisition to a ranked only reward track

its all you want anyways, a more reliable way to grind the legendary, right? you dont actually want to be called legendary when youre only half as good as the worst pro league team, right?

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

Leagues are not a reward track. Not everyone is entitled to progress.

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

MithranArkanere.8957

Leagues are not a reward track. Not everyone is entitled to progress.

But someone who wins more than loses should progress. Right now that may not happen. A win ratio over 50% can still get you stuck.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

But someone who wins more than loses should progress. Right now that may not happen. A win ratio over 50% can still get you stuck.

If you win more then you lose you progress. You can get 1 or 2 pips for a win but only lose 0 or 1 pip for a defeat. So it is easier to gain pips then to lose them.

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: Salamander.2504

Salamander.2504

Very creative, but it’s a bad idea. League’s are not “get your ticket stamped.” If someone is stuck in a division, there’s a reason for it, and the last thing we need is for anyone to be able to grind their way to the top. That’s not how tournaments work.

I’m utterly shocked that some posters above want this implemented. Please don’t come ranked if your not in it for the competition and fun of playing PvP. I know that sounds harsh, but this is the exact opposite of the fundamental idea behind the ranked arena league system. There is already a system in place like you describe: it’s the rabbit—>deer—> dolyak——> dragon system that means absolutely nothing in terms of player experience/ability. Why would we ever want to turn the meritocratic league system into that?

Unranked is still a really great place to play, and it sounds like that would be more enjoyable for you.

(edited by Salamander.2504)

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: Fivedawgs.4267

Fivedawgs.4267

Lmao, thanks for the laughs… metal pips a hahaha and OP asked what are they??? Ahahha.

Well Op, we currently have metal tiers so adding metal pips would be too much. Lol ahahha

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

As soloq player who is casual these days I knew having previous Pvp experience I should aim for sapphire/ruby. This is a fair representation of what a player who soloQ’s, doesn’t use voip, doesn’t partner can reasonably expect. I knew if i wanted to get to top tier ruby/diamond I would need to play a lot more matches per day, have alts ready to swap out to, have sigils/builds ready to change to and preferably one person I can partner with at some stage, or a guild with players I can team with.

Now that I have gotten to where I thought I would be matches are win-win-lose-win-lose-lose-win-lose-win-lose-win-lose-lose-win-win….which is what i expected being a soloQ player who is casual, but comes from a strong Pvp background.

Don’t set yourself unrealistic targets and then want safety nets. Either accept you now need to play more, team more and develop more alts for specific team compositions or accept you’ve gone as far as you go with the time you have and the dedication your willing to input.

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

What a horrible idea. The mere thought of the introduction of a system like this depresses the hell out of me.

Normal pvp players like the idea of a skillbased ladder/league like system.

With this system you will literally make all competetive players quit.

(edited by Locuz.2651)

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: Booms.3952

Booms.3952

Sounds horrible. Might as well change back to S1 matchmaking where you get wins eventually no matter what

#1 gerdian na
0 counterplay

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: Pakkazull.6894

Pakkazull.6894

We don’t need even more safeguards. If anything, we need fewer safeguards to make matchmaking more accurate.

[Suggestion] Metal pips

in PvP

Posted by: Stephen.1207

Stephen.1207

the thing is I was at a 50% winning lose record in rank b4 season even was now I am like 20 winning present why is this the matchmaking is not fair putting me with lower skilled players and I can not carry the intire team