The struggle this season is real

in PvP

Posted by: Kendra Gee.8245

Kendra Gee.8245

This season is truly terrible. Why is it so bad? Because of early division placement. This was a horrible idea.
Diamond and Legendary players are placed together in Sapphire. Cool, we got our ticket rewards early and didn’t have to waste our time blowing through Amber-Ruby this season. That sounded awesome when I read we got a head start. Boy was I wrong.

Diamond division has been considered the “brick wall” once you got there, all the good players were there and going on winning streaks wasn’t common. (I went on a 24 win streak from Amber-Diamond last season) That’s when I finally started hitting that wall, I’d win some and lose some, it was truly 50/50 and was stuck in second tier.
This season you guys have taken that brick wall and placed it in Sapphire, there is little to no progression this season because we’re all stagnant on winning some and losing some far too early. Even people in Emerald are having way too much trouble moving up because they’re being placed with Sapphire Ranking people.
This system is also a nightmare for those profession achievements that require you to play other classes. I’m a Mesmer, that’s my jam, I’m no where near qualified to play my alt (thief) in Sapphire against previously ranked players of last season this early in the season. I’m an Amber level thief placed in Sapphire because of my Mesmers ranking last season. If I continue to play mesmer I’ll eventally go up to Ruby, but that still leaves the achievement needing to be done and again I’ll be playing an alt in a division I shouldn’t even be in with it. Not to mention I have to play yet another alt as well.

The plan was to play Amber-Early Ruby on alts to get better because I’ll be placed against people of equal skill (since good players move up quickly) but there is just no getting better against the quality of players I’m against and teams are just flat out savage if you’re doing bad because everyone is feeling the struggle too. We want the hell out of our division for achievements and rewards.

Hopefully this brick wall in Sapphire thins out as we claw our way to Ruby where we’ll more then likely face it again.

in PvP

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Those who PvP for achievements and rewards will always lag behind those who PvP to PvP.

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in PvP

Kendra Gee.8245

Which is why the issue of my post is early division placement. I should be in Amber getting my achievements done and not in Sapphire

in PvP

Posted by: bLind.6278

bLind.6278

Those who PvP for achievements and rewards will always lag behind those who PvP to PvP.

Those who PvP for achievements will always pull down those who PvP to PvP.

Anet really needs to stop encouraging players to branch out into sPvP. It has only made the experience for the vast majority of the PvP community TERRIBLE, especially when taking the laughably short-sighted MMR system into account.

In probably 90% of my losses I can directly attribute the loss of the game to easily visible mistakes made by my team. I’m fortunate that I still have a 60% win ratio, but the sad that is that it probably should be around 85% if not for being matched with players that literally lack any basic understanding of pvp. People that leave points (often before even capping them), people that repeatedly run to a contested point with no allies and 3+ enemies, people that fight in the middle of nowhere, people that refuse to follow any sort of instruction, etc.

Most mistakes are fairly small, but these players are making them repeatedly throughout the game. DOZENS of times or more.

The biggest issue is that the skill level of my team varies WILDLY on a game-to-game basis. In one game, my team might actually not have any idea how the capture points even work. In the next, my team rotates, +1’s, decaps when appropriate, teamfights well, etc. I honestly don’t understand how the disparity can be so substantial if there is any form of MMR in this game at all.

I feel for the people with high MMR, still. I get the struggle that the OP is talking about. Rank atm is literally meaningless and is only representative of how lucky you’ve been with streaks. Each MMR is largely separated from one-another, so the lowly kittenters should theoretically never be placed in a match with high-MMR players, which means they’ll eventually grind to Diamond/Leg on the coat-tails of Anet’s terrible matchmaking system.

One foot out the door, yet again.

in PvP

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

You are simply experiencing what lower-tier people experienced in amber last season. Actually you are experiencing probably a milder version of it.

I was in the very similar situation to you. Last season I flew my way from amber painlessly and only slowed down around ruby to finally reach diamond.

This season, I started sapphire and took a beating the first day. But after a few days, it has gotten better and I now have more balanced games.

Instead of 1 big population with the low tier getting beaten repetitively by high tiers, we have 3 smaller populations with in each the low tier getting beaten by higher tiers. You and I were in the high tier before, so we sailed smoothly, now we are in the lowest tier of the tier 3 group and it hurts. But the important point is that this new system reduces the skill gap (us getting beaten by legendary is still better than amber being beaten by legendary) and helps to reach faster overall convergence.

And I actually feel that you see it by the lesser number of complains on the forum compared to last season. It’s not a perfect system, but I would argue this is a better system.

in PvP

Posted by: gin.7158

gin.7158

Idk.. below diamond, it feels easy. I can get long win-streak. Now at diamond, it’s normal to have esl players as opponent. The match is determined by how many esl players you have compared to your enemy ha3.

in PvP

Kendra Gee.8245

You are simply experiencing what lower-tier people experienced in amber last season. Actually you are experiencing probably a milder version of it.

I was in the very similar situation to you. Last season I flew my way from amber painlessly and only slowed down around ruby to finally reach diamond.

This season, I started sapphire and took a beating the first day. But after a few days, it has gotten better and I now have more balanced games.

Instead of 1 big population with the low tier getting beaten repetitively by high tiers, we have 3 smaller populations with in each the low tier getting beaten by higher tiers. You and I were in the high tier before, so we sailed smoothly, now we are in the lowest tier of the tier 3 group and it hurts. But the important point is that this new system reduces the skill gap (us getting beaten by legendary is still better than amber being beaten by legendary) and helps to reach faster overall convergence.

And I actually feel that you see it by the lesser number of complains on the forum compared to last season. It’s not a perfect system, but I would argue this is a better system.

Your post gives me hope, thank you!
My biggest issue is that profession achievement, made it to Diamond as a mesmer, get to play against the people I was stuck with last season in Sapphire now on my cruddy thief and tank whatever MMR I have, as well as take abuse from teammates. Thats the heartbreaking part.

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Just play a super easy thief build, play your supporting role, and otherwise focus on decaps XD

in PvP

Posted by: Matisse.9356

Matisse.9356

It is not a struggle, but a balanced system.
You are complaining that you can’t stomp the opposing team, as this made you feel like a great player which was (obviously) a misconception.

Winning at the cost of a bunch of other players with less experience is great, don’t you think?
Who cares if others don’t enjoy it, as long as you get your ego boosted, right?

This is another completely useless thread complaining about an improving system.

If you don’t like it, nothing forces you to play pvp.
Just stop crying because you can’t stroke your ego at the cost of others, it’s disgusting.

in PvP

Posted by: trekon.6752

trekon.6752

First of all, I believe that in every competitive game a league system comes to separate different skill levels.

Last season there wasnt any brick wall at diamond since any average/bad player (actually, even a monkey) that invested a few hours farming league divisions reached legendary. I feel like this season is still gonna be more of the same, and, if there are players getting stucked in the lower divisions, it means that the league system might actually be working.

Pvp leagues shouldn’t be all about farming but about being/getting good at the game so whatever division u get stucked in just accept it because unless u work on improving you should not reach any higher, at least thats what it SHOULD happen.

in PvP

Posted by: Pridedemon.3041

Pridedemon.3041

@trekon
You are wrong, you could be god like and u could still lose the game because you are grouped with scrubs which has nothing to do with your skill level.
Now anet has said that matches are not 50 50 chance for each team but more like 60 40. So one match u have an advantage and on other u r intentionally grouped with scrubs to have a 40% chance.
My matches are going like the match i win i am winning with huge margin like more then 250 points difference but the ones i lose are always close. I can’t remember one defeat in my past 30 or so games where my team couldn’t even reach 400. I am still maintaining 65%+ win ratio but i can’t stand it when i am grouped with total nabs. Makes me think how in hell they even crossed amber

in PvP

Posted by: cursE.1794

cursE.1794

A matchmaking system causing 50/50 matches is bad? I don’t think so. The pip system is just bad, that’s it. The better the matchmaking becomes, the more frustration you feel because of the pip system. Doesn’t seem right to me.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Idk.. below diamond, it feels easy. I can get long win-streak. Now at diamond, it’s normal to have esl players as opponent. The match is determined by how many esl players you have compared to your enemy ha3.

lol pretty much this^^

from my experience so far, MM stacks them all on same team o.o

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>