This game could have been the best ever...

in PvP

Posted by: azera.2890

azera.2890

Had to repost this with a friendlier tone.

Yes, I really mean it.
I started playing Guild Wars 2 in the first available beta after having anticipated the game for four years. I kind of already knew what to expect, but still I felt like I was let down, partly. I was hooked instantly by the beautiful animations, the ambient sounds, the crips graphics and the stunning environments. I kept leveling some, but then I tried out PvP, the aspect that I had ultimately longed for, since I’m an avid PvPer.

PvP felt great, at least in the beta, because there were no stupid bags of RNG. I got to choose whatever I wanted to buy and wear, and I can honestly say, in retrospect, it felt a lot better. I kept playing, not because I wanted new gear, but because I wanted to become better. I’m more into the actual competition than the visual showcase.

Anyway, the game released and I was so thrilled. I leveled up to 80 first on my Elementalist in just a few days, then I started PvPing again. I played and I played and I played, for about 13 hours a day. I grinded to rank 22, not to get gear, but to become better. I won almost every 1v1 and everything was just great. But I started feeling like something was missing. Why the hell did I play? No really. Why? To get better? Sure. But why would I want to be better if the game lacked a way of showing it?

Sure, I could run around with that golden cape looking like a superhero, but there was really no point to it. One could almost think this game was designed for the shallow people, selling cosmetics and focusing solely on the visuals. I want a bigger goal…
I want to show my skill, I want to own people and (since there was no gear progression) at least get some items that only people on MY skill level could get. I stopped playing.

A LADDER GUYS? 5 months in and still no ladder? Still the same old mode? Still the same repetitive grind for visual satisfaction? Still the same old repetitive maps? Wow. Way to ruin a game with massive potential. I swear, this game could have had it all, but you just gave up on it. At least that’s what I’m feeling.

in PvP

Posted by: bashoo.6854

bashoo.6854

agree, get rid of QP and tickets. Rank points and glory is fine.
QP does not mean anything – especially if you can farm them on current 1v1 paids with random players.
what we need is:
- one simple tournament system
- ladder – something similar to SC2 league system with matchmaking.
so we could always play with people on our skill level without waiting in queue.
so we could see progress!

in PvP

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

This game is the best ever in nearly every category except balance. The up side to that is eventually things will become more balanced over time. They’ve already done enough with everything else.

in PvP

Posted by: Kakeru.2873

Kakeru.2873

This game is the best ever in nearly every category except balance. The up side to that is eventually things will become more balanced over time. They’ve already done enough with everything else.

No, no it is not. The game has major flaws in various areas, such as inconsistencies between classes, “It’s Build Wars” gameplay, Bugs, Worst PVP matchmaking/ranking/reward system I have ever encountered, 1 Game mode, Repetitive and causes people to lose interest very quickly, boring to watch, medicore combat system when comparing it to other mmos, i could go on and on.

But these problems won’t be solved for a long long long time as Anet are concentrating on PVE content and that’s where they want their game to major in PVE.
Don’t pin any hopes on this “February Patch” look how underwhelming the January patch was for PVE.

in PvP

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I strongly disagree. I could deal with the balance issues, not everything else.

in PvP

Posted by: Nier.2478

Nier.2478

Maybe if ANET didn’t waste money on waste of space balancing Devs then yeah this game easily would’ve been the best game ever.

twitch.tv/blacktruth009

in PvP

Posted by: Smooth Marc.8743

Smooth Marc.8743

I honestly think Anet was forced to launch the game earlier than they wanted to.It seems as if someone decided the game was finished enough.Told the development team forget finishing pvp/fixing bugs and prepare to launch the game so I can cash in.

I don’t have any proof but it feels that way.

It’s hard to believe a team of developers could be happy with 3 pvp maps,no rankings,ladders,matchmaking system and tons of bugs.

(edited by Smooth Marc.8743)

in PvP

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

No, no it is not. The game has major flaws in various areas, such as inconsistencies between classes, “It’s Build Wars” gameplay, Bugs, Worst PVP matchmaking/ranking/reward system I have ever encountered, 1 Game mode, Repetitive and causes people to lose interest very quickly, boring to watch, medicore combat system when comparing it to other mmos, i could go on and on.

But these problems won’t be solved for a long long long time as Anet are concentrating on PVE content and that’s where they want their game to major in PVE.
Don’t pin any hopes on this “February Patch” look how underwhelming the January patch was for PVE.

All of what you just stated belongs in the balance category which I just listed as a problem. The game only has one mode because professions currently aren’t balanced for duels. Please list more, this game offers much more than the rest and has a lot less redundancies.