Warrior - Hammer, Ideas for changes

in PvP

Posted by: GuilhermeDeSC.4738

GuilhermeDeSC.4738

So.. i was trying to use Hammer on Warrior, and it sucks a lot, its incredible how useless it is, so instead of only complaining, i was trying to think of way to make it better, without it been op as Fooo, and the ideas that i have are those:

The “op” idea: Would be to make that every skill cancels the animation of the other, so it removes the delay that the weapon have, and its more smooth and better to use.

The less “op” and more normal idea: It would be to reduce the cast time of the F1 based on range, on how distant you are, the closer the target is to you, the less time it takes to cast, and the farther, it takes more time to cast, instead of all distances having the same cast time.

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

faster animations would do a ton.

i actually play hammer mace/shield w vipers and distracting strikes a lot (it’s the main warrior build i’m playing atm). the build is pretty strong, but hammer is very easy to evade. faster animations would go a long way in making the build actually viable.

@Ketsu

i agree mobility is an issue, i’ve been forced to run bulls charge on my set up.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

(edited by choovanski.5462)

in PvP

Posted by: Master Ketsu.4569

Master Ketsu.4569

Basic problem with Hammer is the CC it has doesn’t make up for its direct inferiority to GS in everything else.

GS = Great mobility, Excellent damage
Hammer = Great CC, meh damage

The big killer of Hammer is Warriors have a harder time fitting mobility into their build than CC. Mace/Shield has plenty of CC and twice the utility of Hammer. Headbutt exists. etc. This means that Hammer has two downsides for one upside, when there are other options that give two ups for one down.

It’s also useless against good players due to the obvious animations “Hold still while I do this nearly 2 second long obvious knockdown animation pls don’t dodge it”. Yeah, no. It works in Bronze island. It fails everywhere else for obvious reasons.

(edited by Master Ketsu.4569)

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

one of the bigger downsides is how monstrously slow adren buildup is with hammer. having slow anims is one thing, but combined with not doing those anims very much and the weapon is dead.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

GuilhermeDeSC.4738

A complete Hammer Rework for warrior, would be for the best, but this is too much work, and anet would not do that

(edited by GuilhermeDeSC.4738)

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

lol, people want the hammer to reach the level of GS when the problem is the current power warriors have with GS.

Power creep at its finest.

Next a thief is going to complain about shadow arts traitline because it’s not as powerful as the traitline that has pulmonary impact on interrupt.

In case you didn’t notice, hammer was nerfed for a reason. High damage on a CC weapon is absurd.

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

its only power creep if you over buff it. making something viable isn’t power creep, its called having build options.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Make the burst in berserk atleast full AOE.

in PvP

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

you should start by asking for some of the previous nerfs reversed and fitting the hammer trait somewhere else other than discipline grandmaster.

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in PvP

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

So.. i was trying to use Hammer on Warrior, and it sucks a lot, its incredible how useless it is, so instead of only complaining, i was trying to think of way to make it better, without it been op as Fooo, and the ideas that i have are those:

The “op” idea: Would be to make that every skill cancels the animation of the other, so it removes the delay that the weapon have, and its more smooth and better to use.

The less “op” and more normal idea: It would be to reduce the cast time of the F1 based on range, on how distant you are, the closer the target is to you, the less time it takes to cast, and the farther, it takes more time to cast, instead of all distances having the same cast time.

I actually tried using hammer the other day, I feel like it has potential as the cc and damage can be very useful at times. People have already mentioned the problems I had but I’ll say them anyway haha

The hammer is wayyy too slow and unreliable in today’s meta, there are many other choices that can do the same, if not more damage while being much faster. The burst on hammer also takes so long. If you don’t have stability, you’ll get interrupted before the animation even finishes.

The adrenaline build is also not that good, this is why mace is so good right now. In a sense, it’s kind of like doing a weird hybrid job of hammer and axe. It has the damage of axe and some cc but with a block as well.

in PvP

GuilhermeDeSC.4738

lol, people want the hammer to reach the level of GS when the problem is the current power warriors have with GS.

Power creep at its finest.

Next a thief is going to complain about shadow arts traitline because it’s not as powerful as the traitline that has pulmonary impact on interrupt.

In case you didn’t notice, hammer was nerfed for a reason. High damage on a CC weapon is absurd.

we don’t want power, only good cast animations

in PvP

Posted by: supa suop.8026

supa suop.8026

My suggestion for getting faster attack animations for the hammer would be to add it to the GM trait Merciless Hammer.

It could be changed to: Your hammer attack speed is increased by 15%(or possibly 20% but that might be too fast lol), and gain adrenaline when you attack a foe who is CCed.

And the hammer berserk burst really needs to be changed. To me it feels straight up useless.
My idea of a change would be
1. give it the same AoE as its core variant
2. change it to: When you strike a foe they are Stun(.5s-1s), weakened(5s), and blinded(5s)

[SoS] PvX Thief,
The world could use more S/x Thief
FIST FLURRY! ORA!!

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

Asking buffs of any sort on warrior…you have to be kidding me…

in PvP

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

Still remember the days when hammer and longbow were considered the god-tier weapons for warrior and greatsword was pretty much useless trash in PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

Hammer CC used to be powerful but people have access to much better stunbreaks/stability since HoT so Hammer just cant keep up

It would need a nice dmg buff on ~2 Key skills maybe and maybe shorter cooldowns or some other extra effects like criple on autoattack or whatever

Problem is Hammer has 0 defensive skills and 0 mobility
So it needs to have high damage in addition to the CC that it has or it needs a total rework

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Still remember the days when hammer and longbow were considered the god-tier weapons for warrior and greatsword was pretty much useless trash in PvP.

Anything that is not the top tier build/weapon is “useless trash”, even if it is actually fine; Anet just introduced something more OP that took over it.

Much like how people complained about reaper being trash, it didn’t become used for a while and now it’s suddenly appeared.

Same for condi mesmer. Used to be a troll build that couldn’t cap points due to its reliance on stealth. Lo and behold, condi mesmer is a thing now.

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Greatsword was never trash.

When this game first came out people would die to bulls charge hundred blades because it took people time.

Alot of us use to run 0-6 or 6-6 builds for greatsword to work and it did fine.

If you want to be honest alot of things were fine before HOT. I use to run a hammer/rifle build with power-arms-defense. Always crit on F1 and the bleeds and confusion on knock back and interrupts. I actually used it in a AG game as a FA.

That is the difference now and then, HOT there is 1 build per class.

Before HOT there were choices on personal build set up and team set up.

So lets save the trash talk for current hammer warriors and sword thieves.

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

i play hammer zerker in unranked and it is actually pretty darn strong,
your f1, #5 and #2 hit for 5-7k your autos usually deal atleast 3k.
it hits like a truck and you’re slinging out stuns, dazes and knockbacks

(edited by Liewec.2896)

in PvP

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Hammer relies on complementary skills/traits more then most other weapon sets. As example I find in order to land damage more reliably due to the slower nature of the weapon, a high uptime on quickness is desired. Heightened Focus inside of Discipline worked better for me than the hammer trait.

Added to that I found it tends to work better when coupled with some physical skills such as kick or stomp or anything having knockback or interrupts as part of their utility. This to break down stability and stun breaks with the sheer volume of CC type attacks.

It very hard to get decent mobility in a hammer build though. People run and you might as well wave goodbye so buuls charge or some such needed. As such hammer users will very often find themselves hard pressed to fit in endure pain or zerker stance.

IMO that the single largest downside of hammer, that being the utilities or traits you have to give up to address its shortcomings.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

in PvP

GuilhermeDeSC.4738

My suggestion for getting faster attack animations for the hammer would be to add it to the GM trait Merciless Hammer.

It could be changed to: Your hammer attack speed is increased by 15%(or possibly 20% but that might be too fast lol), and gain adrenaline when you attack a foe who is CCed.

And the hammer berserk burst really needs to be changed. To me it feels straight up useless.
My idea of a change would be
1. give it the same AoE as its core variant
2. change it to: When you strike a foe they are Stun(.5s-1s), weakened(5s), and blinded(5s)

It’s not about the hammer trait itself, the trait is ok, i’m talking about the Cast animations, the problem is on the weapon.

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I think the F1 should have a Stun added to Berserker mode or maybe a boon strip… Other than that it’s one of my favourite weapons for Paladin builds. (Hammer Mace/shield – Pick the Necro/Ele or evasion thief and lock him down with CC till he dies.)

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)