revs so far in spvp

revs so far in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

How is it playing out for you guys so far? We know the class isn’t done yet, but benchmarking can’t hurt anybody.

I think it works as sort of an artillery class. If you can get fury stacks and the healing stone up after sucking your allies condis, you can lay down some hardcore burst while also blinding and healing, even from afar. However, it’s incredibly easy to stop the combo. You don’t even need to mention the weakness to boon stripping since you only have a few sources of fury, I can only find a little bit of stability in the dwarf stance and 0 stun breakers(correct me if there are any). I’ve held a positive w/l in solo unranked but against a good mesmer or thief the engagement is as competitive as a cow versus grass.

revs so far in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

Haven’t seen a rev impress me yet.

Played my medi guard tonight and easily butchered every rev I saw.

Then I went to test chronomancer, the condie is kinda strong against mesmer who lacks condie clear. But the pressure is still not as high as say a condie ranger or engi.

revs so far in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

I feel like energy costs are too high

revs so far in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Ceratin thing son revenant are really strong and in a good place. Like hammer. Hammer gives revenant the potential to easily compete with other backliners like eles and necros. In terms of sustained damage, revenant hammer has more than either, probably on par with a staff ele.

You basically have a long ranged mighty blow with a cheap energy cost and a no second cooldown to spam and hit 4k crits on frontline and 7k crits on backline.

In terms of sword/sword or sword/axe, full zerker is obviously best and its just too risky on revenant because there isn’t enough defense. Rev has decent mobility with it to escape and go in and out but the heals are terrible and so is the condi removal. But most importantly, compare it to something like thief since its somwhat similar. Thief has the defense of stealth and so does mesmer.

revs so far in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: Hactid.6253

Hactid.6253

I mostly played rev since the beta weekend, won some fight, lost many and I can tell you why:
1:no toughness. the class is really glassy and the healing abilities are really weak. For s/s, you only have 1 block that doesn’t react like shield/sword 5 for warrior, which means that once you blocked an attack, you can’t block another, which is underwhelming. For hammer, you have your range block but it’s just a little aoe infront of you, while elem has a big aoe bubble and guardian has their massive wall reflect, mesmer have feedback and e.t.c. Staff doesn’t do damage, the healing is a long cast, stationary and bad, m/a have no healing and what you’ll mainly be using in pvp(shiro and jarlis) healing are long cd and pretty bad.

2: damage. hammer hits hard but is slow, like waaayy too slow. except your 1 and 2 and 4 you’ll mostly miss every other attack since they are long cast and are somewhat easy to avoid. also hammer 3(the big ghostly leap) doesn’t scale with terrain, so if someone is above or under you, you will miss them. hammer 5 is just too slow compared to aoe like earthshaker or signet of bane(guardian). S/S hits weak, you main auto attack I never had a crit over 2k, swords 2 doesn’t hit really hard and miss easily, sword 3 is really weak and doesn’t make you invulnerable(like sword 2 for mesmer) you’ll mostly hit 700 and crit maybe 1.1k on marauder opponent(when you are marauder yourself). As I said before, sword 4 is a one time block only and miss easily, sword 5 require too much energy, has to be melee range, doesn’t do noticeable damage and always miss. staff is all trash, dont even bother and mace/axe I didn’t tried but from what I heard it’s not even worth trying.

3: utilities: all require way too much energy, if we compare out gap closer with is 20 energy(20%) compared to infiltrator’s strike(20%) too, it doesn’t seems bad on paper, but most of the time, you’ll start a fight using your gap closer, which is now 40% of your energy, and your weapons ability also drain energy(unlike thief who’s utility doesn’t drain initiative) so you end up really quickly chocking on your lack of energy. Also utilities like jarlis’s hammer or assassin’s stance doesn’t do a whole lot for the drain energy they require. jarlis hammer is weak and assassin’s stance is good if you fight someone with no experience or something that’s has less survivability than you(aka nobody) And elites doesn’t do a whole lot. Jarlis is just a stronger protection buff for a long cast time and a few seconds for 50% of your energy(which is like 100% because there’s no way that you’ll have 100% energy in a real fight) and shiro’s one is a obvious basilisk venom that can be more easily dodged. ventari is a joke in pvp and demon stance is crippling yourself for worst than normal utilities compared to necro.

So yeah: damage is weak, even in marauder. no survivability, no team support(anyway you’re a glass with no cannon), and horrible energy system. You’ll pretty much never win a fight against: guardian(medi), ranger(condi/regen), warrior(stunlock), elem(cele d/d/), mesmer(all), engi(condi), thief(all). maybe necro if you are lucky.

For a heavy class compared to guardian which deals incredible amounts of damage and heal like crazy, it stands no chance, like ever; And warrior who has more passive regen than you have activate healing + alot of toughness + great damage + CC’s. you once again stand low.

it needs alot of work because atm this is no pvp material, it’s not even fun to play.

(edited by Hactid.6253)

revs so far in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: Rune Darkmoor.3269

Rune Darkmoor.3269

I’ve played Rev in both weekends, and I like it. Increasing damage across the board helped the class. However, I still feel like energy cripples the class rather than enables it.

I feel like I start every fight with only half my skills potentially avaliable, due to how energy works. I think they either need to reduce the cost of utilities, or raise our energy to 100% before a fight. (And then once in combat switching legends caps it at 50%)

As it is right now, a Rev can walk into fight, but their potential is caped at all points during the fight by energy. The strength of utilities and and weapon skills does not reflect this. I feel like the only real way to address this is to alter how skills work at different thresholds to account for this. Which has been considered in traits, but it just doesn’t reflect to real potential. If they get focused at the start of a fight they’re potentially screwed, since you don’t have the energy to defend, AND you’ll be forced to switch legends to heal. Breaking any synergy or energy gain or combo you setup.

Even with double heals, resistance, and traits that reduce incoming damage, it still feels incredibly squishy in heavy armor. Oo

revs so far in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

For me sword/sword rev was very fun to play, but lack of defense made it impossible to survive in 1v1 and teamfight. I’m not saying rev needs stealth, but it certainly does need disengage utility that doesn’t drain the energy so much. Right now revs are worse than s/f eles since they don’t even have invul, and now they have to count the skill cd, as well as energy, and then utility for energy as well. There is just too many things a rev need to count without proper block/invul/stealth etc.

Tour

revs so far in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: Kharr.5746

Kharr.5746

I disagree with all of the posts saying revenant is weak. The previous beta weekend, revenant was TERRIBLE, but now that skill queuing got fixed and damage got tweaked, I have been absolutely melting people in tPVP. It helps that I’ve played it alot across both weekends so I understand the class mechanics quite a bit better now. I’m personally quite worried that revenant is on the verge of being OP.

I’m positive the outcry about revs being subpar right now is because few are used to the energy mechanic and new skills. You don’t become amazing at playing a class in PvP in a few hours. This is especially true for people who depend on metabattle to tell them how to trait.

At first, I was getting destroyed when I went full glass berserker with Shiro since I didn’t know what the skills did, but then I learned how to use the disengage skills properly.

Here’s a quick guide to surviving as full glass Shiro in tPvP:

1) Sword #5 takes you out of the fight and lets you finish your opponent. You do not stand in the middle of a fight as a full berserker.
2) Phase traversal lets you jump into a group fight so you can sword #5 and pull out the weakest link to finish him off. Works amazingly well.
3) You can pre-cast Enchanted Daggers for extra burst damage and to keep your hp topped up. It will be off cooldown by the time you need it again.
4) Riposting Shadows is AMAZING. 3/4 second evade, removes movement impairing effects, breaks stun AND gives 50 endurance. You can spam dodge + this skill. Combined with the Enduring Recovery trait (+25 endurance when struck, 10s cooldown) and sigil of energy, you can dodge forever. It’s actually pretty broken since it also stacks with vigor. It’s the equivalent of dodge-spam thief on a heavy armor class.
5) Impossible Odds is also amazing if you use it right. Quickness on demand for stomping? Amazing. Need to burst down someone trying to res their ally? This will do it. Or, you could just Jade Winds to interrupt the res + stun.

Honestly, I’m pretty blown away. I haven’t even covered the great synergy with Malyx and Jalis. Here’s a simple combo to start a fight: Rite of the Great Dwarf at max range —> Phase Traversal into the middle of a fight and then pop Impossible Odds. You become an unkillable murder machine for a short while. Or, if you go with Malyx, you become very condi resistant and can disrupt the fight with Unyielding Anguish + power up with Embrace the Darkness (which increases your damage substantially).

The two separate healing skills also pair really well with runes that give a buff on heal (e.g. Rune of the Fighter) or damage others (e.g. Rune of Balthazar).

Hammer is also great if you want to play like a PewPew Ranger (i.e., stay at max range and dish out 5-6k crits every few seconds). The damage seemed quite close to LB ranger from what I saw, which is quite good. Hammer pairs really well with Impossible Odds since you can nuke from max range without worrying about getting killed.

Support is also quite good with Ventari + Jalis. This post is too long already so I won’t go into it.

(edited by Kharr.5746)

revs so far in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

Ceratin thing son revenant are really strong and in a good place. Like hammer. Hammer gives revenant the potential to easily compete with other backliners like eles and necros. In terms of sustained damage, revenant hammer has more than either, probably on par with a staff ele.+

we’re talking spvp

@khaar
Sure the burst potential is insane but you melt under focus fire, (you can also combo the thief blink with the jade aoe), and you are punished hard for using skills to escape that offer waaay worse escape than other classes(rev easilly has the worst in the game, below necro)

Also again, it’s very easy to drop the rev offensive burst combo with interrupts and boon stripping. Even if you are landing sick mlg blinds the thief has interrupt spells that can be fired several times during your attack animations.

(edited by duster.7013)

revs so far in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

ele
mesmer

guardian
thief
engi
necro
warrior

ranger

revenant

this should answer your question

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

revs so far in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

Rev needs a couple of improvements:

• They should start at maximum energy, not 50%. Currently, you enter the fight, cast 2 skills and then afk waiting for energy regen.
  • Anet must either add more weapons because condi builds can’t even have a 2nd set, or remove CD from weapon swap (we have CD on legend swap, that should be enough). This way revenants can swap to the 2nd set for utility and then immediately switch back to main.
  • Revenant needs ways to disengage. Basically every current teleport requires a target, can only work with line of sight, and if not then it’ll return you to where you started (Hammer 3). They just enter the fight, get focused and die atm – no teleports for disengage, no invuln, no stealth, nothing. Maybe the Jalis elite, if you can pull off a 2s+ channel that costs 50 energy while being focused, not going to happen.

(edited by witcher.3197)

revs so far in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Revenant needs the energy weapon cost removed, cause right now you enter a fight and you are half of the time not using anything cause you lack energy… Also you can hardly use an utilite twice except the cheaper ones when hero-swapping, if you are not wasting energy with 1-5 maybe this can change… and traits are a mess, you cant do anything but random builds half of the time

All in all, 300% better than last time

M I L K B O I S

revs so far in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: Kharr.5746

Kharr.5746

• They should start at maximum energy, not 50%. Currently, you enter the fight, cast 2 skills and then afk waiting for energy regen.
  • Anet must either add more weapons because condi builds can’t even have a 2nd set, or remove CD from weapon swap (we have CD on legend swap, that should be enough). This way revenants can swap to the 2nd set for utility and then immediately switch back to main.
  • Revenant needs ways to disengage. Basically every current teleport requires a target, can only work with line of sight, and if not then it’ll return you to where you started (Hammer 3). They just enter the fight, get focused and die atm – no teleports for disengage, no invuln, no stealth, nothing. Maybe the Jalis elite, if you can pull off a 2s+ channel that costs 50 energy while being focused, not going to happen.

Reposting Shadows is an evade and a disengage and it removes movement impairing effects. Unyielding Anguish is also a fantastic disengage since it creates a teleport wall that people can’t pass.

revs so far in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: Revolutionen.5693

Revolutionen.5693

I feel like skills activates too slow, cost too much energy, deals unimpressive damage, heals for almost nothing and grants no protection. They need to boost Revs on all levels for them to be a match against other professions. Otherwise I love the general mechanic and the skill animations/legends.

revs so far in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

I also think there is an energy cost issue for the Revenant.

revs so far in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

Reposting Shadows is an evade and a disengage and it removes movement impairing effects. Unyielding Anguish is also a fantastic disengage since it creates a teleport wall that people can’t pass.

RS is slow, has a high energy cost and follows terrain + can’t escape things like Slick Shoes or Ring of Warding. You are right, UA is by far the best the revenant has, but suffers from the mostly the same issues as RS.

Revenant needs stealth on shiro or sword, imo. Maybe instead of immob on skill 4 after the block we should get stealth? Or both stealth + immob?

revs so far in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Slightly high energy costs on utilities, severe lack of condi removal, lack of non-targetted mobility (swiftness, leaps, teleports), moderate burst, and lack of active defenses.

And skills like Sword 3 basically being a deathwish, since they have no evade etc. attacked you are locking into free damage taken.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

(edited by Zietlogik.6208)

revs so far in spvp

in PvP

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

I think if you fix the energy issue revenant will be at least close to on par with others. I think a slight buff to a few more skills would do it. Or some trait tweaks. I still feel the traits aren’t all that great. Also little more healing is needed I think. I got better at not dying in 2 seconds but still felt much more squishy than other melee specs.