sPvP Season 5 2016?

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

New about season 5 is coming very Soon™!

Here I am trying to decide whether you forgot an entire word or just a letter, but waiting for both news and new info all the same :P.

One letter -_-

ignore the haters. WOOT WOOT

im bad at sarcasm

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

Here I am trying to decide whether you forgot an entire word or just a letter, but waiting for both news and new info all the same :P.

One letter -_-

ignore the haters. WOOT WOOT

“Haters” implies without reason. There is plenty of reason.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Jcsk.8195

Jcsk.8195

Sóuk Berserker – Baruch Bay

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

Looks like the wait might have been worth it. We’ll see on 12/13 …

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

sigh

Really Anet, this sort of stuff should be up on your News, front page, before outside sources are sharing it. Seriously, info should be coming first hand from you guys first.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Pyriall.1683

This still doesn’t answer, “how are teams being matched up?” Is it the same version of last season’s disaster?

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Last season MM was not so bad and with full premades gone i expect a lot close matches.
There will be still the usual problems.
1.) Without per class MMR skill might vary largely (especiall if daily class stays ….)
2.) With even matches progress moves to grinding. That 50:50 rate won´t please people playing for a rank.
3.) System might calculate personal MMR on a team effort… Which is one of the culprits for frustration.)
4.) Human factor will still decide a lot of matches. (AFK, drunk, trolling, toilet, cat on keyboard, ….) You will never get rid of that (exeption is 5:5 team at high level) so don´t complain to much on that ;-)

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Last season MM was not so bad and with full premades gone i expect a lot close matches.
1.) Without per class MMR skill might vary largely (especiall if daily class stays ….)
2.) With even matches progress moves to grinding. That 50:50 rate won´t please people playing for a rank.
3.) System might calculate personal MMR on a team effort… Which is one of the culprits for frustration.)
4.) Human factor will still decide a lot of matches. (AFK, drunk, trolling, toilet, cat on keyboard, ….) You will never get rid of that (exeption is 5:5 team at high level) so don´t complain to much on that ;-)

1) We track per-class MMR, but it’s not very accurate right now. I really want to use it, but without class locking on queue, we can’t use it for matchmaking.

2) This is why rewards and skill rating are split. Your skill rating will only go up if you actually improve your gameplay.

3) Your personal MMR is only updated based on win/loss and enemy MMR.

4)

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Honest John.4673

Honest John.4673

2) This is why rewards and skill rating are split. Your skill rating will only go up if you actually improve your gameplay.

Exactly, Evan. This is what people don’t seem to understand. Wouldn’t you want a match where it’s as even as possible, meaning that either side has the same shot at winning? Wouldn’t it logically follow that for every win there must also be a loss? Wouldn’t that mean that the majority of players have close to a 50% winning percentage? And sure, there are outliers on the bell curve, do you want to be one, do you have what it takes?

Yes, we get it, you like to throw the word “grind” around with it’s negative connotation but don’t leave it at that. It goes deeper. If you actually want to progress in your gameplay, skill rating, what ever, guess what you’re gonna have to do. Play. Play matches, play lots of matches and play some more. If I played chess for 4 years actively trying to get better, then I’m probably a better chess player 4 years in than I was when I first started. Call it “grind” call it what you will but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

And guess what, if you can consistently improve your gameplay, that leads to consistently winning more than you lose and your rating goes up, that’s the entire point of a competitive game.

Or do you just want to go “le grind! xDDD” and think nothing more of it?

(edited by Honest John.4673)

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Pyriall.1683

1) We track per-class MMR, but it’s not very accurate right now. I really want to use it, but without class locking on queue, we can’t use it for matchmaking.

4)

What is skill rating and what affects it?

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

Exactly, Evan. This is what people don’t seem to understand. Wouldn’t you want a match where it’s as even as possible, meaning that either side has the same shot at winning? Wouldn’t it logically follow that for every win there must also be a loss? Wouldn’t that mean that the majority of players have close to a 50% winning percentage? And sure, there are outliers on the bell curve, do you want to be one, do you have what it takes?

Yes, we get it, you like to throw the word “grind” around with it’s negative connotation but don’t leave it at that. It goes deeper. If you actually want to progress in your gameplay, skill rating, what ever, guess what you’re gonna have to do. Play. Play matches, play lots of matches and play some more. If I played chess for 4 years actively trying to get better, then I’m probably a better chess player 4 years in than I was when I first started. Call it “grind” call it what you will but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

And guess what, if you can consistently improve your gameplay, that leads to consistently winning more than you lose and your rating goes up, that’s the entire point of a competitive game.

Or do you just want to go “le grind! xDDD” and think nothing more of it?

Too honest, John.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

4)

Skill Rating is your Glicko Rating plus decay. Each match has a zero or one outcome that updates your Glicko rating against the average of your opponents’ rating.

Some more info here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Matchmaking_Algorithm#Ratings

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Anyone heard anything about season 5?
Quaggans?

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Age.9320

Age.9320

Curious about the decay. Will it happen at every division or will the bottom divisions not be affected. For example bronze to gold would not have decay while divisions above gold would

And so I wait, and so I watch, but my hands are near to my blades – Drizzt Do’Urden

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: sexuallegend.2153

sexuallegend.2153

I’m not really sure what all this fuss about “skill rating” is. First off how does that mechanic even work? How do you measure someone’s skill completely without individually watching them in action? Is a player that caps more and engages in 2v1’s truly more skilled than the player holding off 3 by himself while preventing a cap? Lmao my problem with going down this path is that people will use the leaderboard to claim who is and who isn’t skilled. But if you ask me, being able to kill two players out of 3 that are fighting you by yourself is a much better skill rating than capping and defending.

I suggest possibly changing that mechanic to TEAM skill rating. There is only one way to measure skill in this game and it’s in 1v2 wager duels.

Shadow, the Legend Myth
(Shadow the Jedi, An Arrogant Samurai, The Legend Myth, One Of The Avengers)
Best Player Episode 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgpC1yIGFB0

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Honest John.4673

4)

Skill Rating is your Glicko Rating plus decay. Each match has a zero or one outcome that updates your Glicko rating against the average of your opponents’ rating.

Some more info here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Matchmaking_Algorithm#Ratings

So it’s still possible to lose a close game you weren’t expected to win and still gain some glicko, kind of like how you could gain pips on a lose in Season 1?

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Curious about the decay. Will it happen at every division or will the bottom divisions not be affected. For example bronze to gold would not have decay while divisions above gold would

There should be no protection for decay.
Either play or decay.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

I’m not really sure what all this fuss about “skill rating” is. First off how does that mechanic even work? How do you measure someone’s skill completely without individually watching them in action? Is a player that caps more and engages in 2v1’s truly more skilled than the player holding off 3 by himself while preventing a cap? Lmao my problem with going down this path is that people will use the leaderboard to claim who is and who isn’t skilled. But if you ask me, being able to kill two players out of 3 that are fighting you by yourself is a much better skill rating than capping and defending.

I suggest possibly changing that mechanic to TEAM skill rating. There is only one way to measure skill in this game and it’s in 1v2 wager duels.

I’d assume that their rating uses all the combat statistics that are being displayed at the end and maybe even some more. So if you are tanking a point against 3 guys you will for example take a lot of damage without dying which the system would interpret to your advantage.
Just guessing tho.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Honest John.4673

Conquest is still a team game. Skill rating should be seen as how good your ability to work with a team is. I don’t care if you won every 1v2, did you win the game? Winning the game is literally all that matters, that’s the metric, it’s the only thing they use.

So if you have a high skill rating then yes that means you’re good at conquest, that’s what the metric is. We all know the rules and the mechanics behind the game mode, now do what you have to to win it.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

4)

So it’s still possible to lose a close game you weren’t expected to win and still gain some glicko, kind of like how you could gain pips on a lose in Season 1?

In practice, rating does not ever go up on a loss.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Decay happens in every division. There is a 3 day grace period, then 7 days of decay. Each game played will remove 1 day of decay.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: sexuallegend.2153

sexuallegend.2153

Conquest is still a team game. Skill rating should be seen as how good your ability to work with a team is. I don’t care if you won every 1v2, did you win the game? Winning the game is literally all that matters, that’s the metric, it’s the only thing they use.

So if you have a high skill rating then yes that means you’re good at conquest, that’s what the metric is. We all know the rules and the mechanics behind the game mode, now do what you have to to win it.

Getting carried, thus winning, does not make you more skilled. So if you get carried to the leaderboard, how are you a top 100 player when you can’t even kill the bottom 100 with ease? And you should care about 1v2’s. If you did the math, you’d realize that e winning a 1v2 means that my team is playing 4v3. That does lead to wins. But why should someone on my team have the same skill rating increased for simply winning? They don’t have my impact nor my skill. I’m in the top .01% of players because true skill is being able to finish fights. The game is a fighting game, not a turn based raise your hand and talk about feeling game. The best team is one that has players that finish fights. 5 fighters beat 5 flighters any day of the even on a Sunday

Shadow, the Legend Myth
(Shadow the Jedi, An Arrogant Samurai, The Legend Myth, One Of The Avengers)
Best Player Episode 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgpC1yIGFB0

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

This is an enormous topic and there are no right answers. If you’re curious about approximating player skill, you can do some research on Elo, Glicko, Glicko 2, or True Skill. TL;DR an approximation is the best we can do, but end up being quite accurate.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

4)

Thanx for the answers.

1.) I know that and did write it in other threads. I would be pleased on locking class in Q :-).

2.) I will see how it works out. I expect its fine.

3.) This doesn´t realy help. Your MMR is dependent on your teammates which might be hard to overcome but is not realy good.

Greetings

Wolf

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

3.) This doesn´t realy help. Your MMR is dependent on your teammates which might be hard to overcome but is not realy good.

We’ve tried using your teammates’ rating to affect your own for a while, but it ended up being less accurate and effectively created Glicko Hell. I’m sure there is a way to factor them in, but MMR and matchmaking is delicate. In my 4ish years of adjusting our use of Glicko, I’ve come to learn that most of the time less is more.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Honest John.4673

Getting carried, thus winning, does not make you more skilled. So if you get carried to the leaderboard, how are you a top 100 player when you can’t even kill the bottom 100 with ease? And you should care about 1v2’s. If you did the math, you’d realize that e winning a 1v2 means that my team is playing 4v3. That does lead to wins. But why should someone on my team have the same skill rating increased for simply winning? They don’t have my impact nor my skill. I’m in the top .01% of players because true skill is being able to finish fights. The game is a fighting game, not a turn based raise your hand and talk about feeling game. The best team is one that has players that finish fights. 5 fighters beat 5 flighters any day of the even on a Sunday

I’m not sure you understand. If you actually did look at the top 100 I doubt you’d find anyone who’s trash at the gamemode. Like you said, this is 5 man teams. Meaning that you put forth 20% of the effort for your team, if you don’t that’s picked up elsewhere. If it isn’t picked up you lose games. I doubt you could get carried into the top 100 in an effective 4v5. Think of what you’re saying.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: pico.6402

pico.6402

1.) I know that and did write it in other threads. I would be pleased on locking class in Q :-).

If it ever happen we should get a possibility to change our builds in resp zones. If I will be locked on one class with one build that sucks because in opposite team have some hard counter to me, then there is no fun in play.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

If it ever happen we should get a possibility to change our builds in resp zones. If I will be locked on one class with one build that sucks because in opposite team have some hard counter to me, then there is no fun in play.

I don’t imagine we’d ever lock builds, just your profession. You could even swap to another character of the same profession since they’re share the same MMR.

There have been some threads on the past about it, but the community always seemed split. Some liked being able to counter pick after they got into a match, or to better fill out their team comp. Others wanted the accuracy.

I do agree with the players that said profession-based matchmaking needs to be better before locking classes.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t imagine we’d ever lock builds, just your profession. You could even swap to another character of the same profession since they’re share the same MMR.

How would you do this though? The allowing of a switch from character to character as long as its the same class.

If you have the same MMR on two different classes (theoretically possible, not sure how hard it would be to do exactly) wouldn’t it then open the the floor to the argument that you should be able to switch to that one too? I’m sure your initial gut response is “no” for mmr tracking accuracy (among many other variables, like team composition), but if you can accurately determine that the player is swapping from say one thief character to another, could you not also as easily determine that they swapped to an ele with an equatable mmr value and apply any changes from the match played accordingly?

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

How would you do this though? The allowing of a switch from character to character as long as its the same class.

If you have the same MMR on two different classes (theoretically possible, not sure how hard it would be to do exactly) wouldn’t it then open the the floor to the argument that you should be able to switch to that one too? I’m sure your initial gut response is “no” for mmr tracking accuracy (among many other variables, like team composition), but if you can accurately determine that the player is swapping from say one thief character to another, could you not also as easily determine that they swapped to an ele with an equatable mmr value and apply any changes from the match played accordingly?

Technically allowing someone to switch to a profession with the same MMR would be fine. The only reason we want to lock is so you can’t switch to something that invalidates what matchmaking just finished working with. Even if we allowed a particular MMR range of available other professions, the user experience of that feature would be bad and not worth it.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Technically allowing someone to switch to a profession with the same MMR would be fine. The only reason we want to lock is so you can’t switch to something that invalidates what matchmaking just finished working with. Even if we allowed a particular MMR range of available other professions, the user experience of that feature would be bad and not worth it.

So, doable, but not worth the extra defensive coding and logic necessary. Thank you for appeasing my curiosity.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Dixie Cougar.2415

Dixie Cougar.2415

Any way we can get a toggle to hide the ranked badge on our nameplate? It seems unnecessary in PvE.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Any way we can get a toggle to hide the ranked badge on our nameplate? It seems unnecessary in PvE.

You can hide your badge on a per-character basis from the League UI.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

I just wanted to give a thanks for the info,

You have been on top of alot of posts since the S5 news came out. So thanks

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

^^^^

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

^^^^

Same. Thank you for the responses.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

One letter -_-

You know those bugs you don’t make…

One letter.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

One letter -_-

One letter.

Grats, this is easily the most obscure reference I’ve seen in months.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

I’m just waiting to test the new stuff

I suppose it was the least of your concern this release but did someone work on the default build system ? maybe an extention to 1-2 custom build ?

Don’t take this as a never satisfied player request ^^ It’s just that I see a feature in my pvp build tab that is just asking to have some use for a non-beginner player :p

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Urejt.5648

Urejt.5648

I can not w8 to see 700 rating of plebseth

Yo Hooj Jest Pole

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

One letter -_-

One letter.

Grats, this is easily the most obscure reference I’ve seen in months.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Season-5-looks-terrible/first#post6421953

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

sPvP Season 5 2016?

in PvP

Posted by: Dixie Cougar.2415

Dixie Cougar.2415

Hey I know this is a few days late but wanted to say thanks Evan!