sPvP, balance, a little philosophy, and life.

in PvP

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

tl;dr: blablabla nerf ranger tommorow, we’re working, blablabla THE END.

A lot easier to type a single cynical sentence than read 3 really good posts by a dev which has been something rare lately.

I dont care about awesome written posts, I care about real change. Or if I say in the style of Jonathan,
“A little less conversations a little more action.” – Elvis Presley.

Sharp is literally saying the same thing for a year now, hold your patience guys, we’re working on it, it’s hard to change stuff becuase it makes a game hard to manage (about splitting skills and whatnot).

I’ll take communication with slow steady changes than to be completely in the dark questioning whether or not I should give a kitten about the game anymore.

in PvP

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

Appreciate the post Chap! -looking forward to tomorrows patch.
PS: Props for the radiohead link, good song

Neglekt

in PvP

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

Thanks for taking the time, Chap. Now get some rest.

in PvP

Posted by: Chromosome.7498

Chromosome.7498

Game types
So a lot of you want new game types. We’ve heard you. We’re prototyping more of them right now. But, as Colin said at the panel, we have to be careful. We learned a lot from GW1. We learned that having too many game types can split up the player base. But, if you’re not careful, just having 1 game type may not be enough variety. You’ve got to find that perfect spot.

Deathmatch. I like DM, but I’m much more interested in objective based DM. “Go in a room and kill a dude” was fun when I was playing Doom/Quake/Unreal, but even those, as simple games, still had map control and buff/armor control. Just giving two players the same guns/armors, putting them in a room, and saying “Ok go” just isn’t as fun to play. Those other elements add a lot to the game. The most competitive/successful games in recent history all share these “secondary” objectives as well (they aren’t STRICTLY Deathmatch):

• In CS, that was the bomb/hostages. CoD (and similar games) still retain similar objectives to this day. Killing your opponent is still integral, but the secondary objectives “force” action.
  • In RTS, it’s the resources (micro arena is fun, but it’s not nearly as fun to play or watch as having to also manage resources/scout/build the right tech, etc.). The resources force action.
  • In Mobas, it’s all about controlling lanes, pushing towers, and controlling the jungle. It’s not just “go in a room and shoot a dude with your skills”. That’s fun, but I think the other elements add more strategy and tactics to the game, and make them more fun to play.

So for us, when we’re designing game types, we’re thinking about these things. DM is still a fun and exciting part of conquest, but I know you guys want more – we’re working on it.

<3 !!! We need new game mode…
Everybody say that that qq community is the sPvP community, but you know, if everybody qq, it’s because sPvP have a problem.
All community want more, and all community think that sPvP in GW2 is empty of contained. Yes we know, this year we had spectator mode, we had new map and ranked tournament.

But all of it does not provide more fun in this game.

(edited by Chromosome.7498)

in PvP

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

Thanks for all the communication, it is a shame it took spam/qq and a community seemingly at breaking point to get it.

For all your talk about new modes and balance, I am finding it hard to believe and/or actually be positive about what you are saying if I am being honest.

in PvP

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Nice to see all these detailed responses in the pvp forums. Maybe one day the devs will care about the dungeon forums again.. although dungeons aren’t going to become an e-sport or turn into temporary content cash shops for casuals

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

in PvP

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

I really appreciate a dev taking the time to type this up and express his feelings to us.

But what matters in the end is the state of the game. And the state simply is that many classes are imbalanced, and it makes the game not fun.

You can have all the good intentions in the world, but if you don’t deliver on the product it goes to waste.

I thought Blizzard was bad at balancing their classes in pvp, and now this game makes them look like masters at it.

I enjoy the game, and I hope ANet puts more time and thought into balancing pvp.

Again thank you for the posts, it does mean a lot.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

in PvP

Posted by: ValeV.4875

ValeV.4875

tl;dr: blablabla nerf ranger tommorow, we’re working, blablabla THE END.

A lot easier to type a single cynical sentence than read 3 really good posts by a dev which has been something rare lately.

I dont care about awesome written posts, I care about real change. Or if I say in the style of Jonathan,
“A little less conversations a little more action.” – Elvis Presley.

Sharp is literally saying the same thing for a year now, hold your patience guys, we’re working on it, it’s hard to change stuff becuase it makes a game hard to manage (about splitting skills and whatnot).

I’ll take communication with slow steady changes than to be completely in the dark questioning whether or not I should give a kitten about the game anymore.

I fail to see the relation between you post and mine. Is there any or is that just some random thought of yours? Even if yes, how was dhummfire update steady change? It made necros and conditions completely OP and shifted the meta to what it is now.

in PvP

Posted by: Zlociutki.9165

Zlociutki.9165

Game types
So a lot of you want new game types. We’ve heard you. We’re prototyping more of them right now. But, as Colin said at the panel, we have to be careful. We learned a lot from GW1. We learned that having too many game types can split up the player base. But, if you’re not careful, just having 1 game type may not be enough variety. You’ve got to find that perfect spot.

Deathmatch. I like DM, but I’m much more interested in objective based DM. “Go in a room and kill a dude” was fun when I was playing Doom/Quake/Unreal, but even those, as simple games, still had map control and buff/armor control. Just giving two players the same guns/armors, putting them in a room, and saying “Ok go” just isn’t as fun to play. Those other elements add a lot to the game. The most competitive/successful games in recent history all share these “secondary” objectives as well (they aren’t STRICTLY Deathmatch):

• In CS, that was the bomb/hostages. CoD (and similar games) still retain similar objectives to this day. Killing your opponent is still integral, but the secondary objectives “force” action.
  • In RTS, it’s the resources (micro arena is fun, but it’s not nearly as fun to play or watch as having to also manage resources/scout/build the right tech, etc.). The resources force action.
  • In Mobas, it’s all about controlling lanes, pushing towers, and controlling the jungle. It’s not just “go in a room and shoot a dude with your skills”. That’s fun, but I think the other elements add more strategy and tactics to the game, and make them more fun to play.

So for us, when we’re designing game types, we’re thinking about these things. DM is still a fun and exciting part of conquest, but I know you guys want more – we’re working on it.

Dragon Bash was a really great game mode:
- DTM
- Fast,
- No down state, when i have killed someone I forgot about him as it should be.

(edited by Zlociutki.9165)

in PvP

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

@Sharp;

The community has been pretty negative lately with the lack of balance changed in order to preserve the meta going into pax. It hasn’t exactly been “the most fun” community to be a part of lately.

However, just reading through your posts that you took the time to make, after being put off by the negativity of the community and letting it dissuade my optimism for the potential of the game, I really am feeling much better about where the game is headed. Particularly, because I’ve mained ranger since day 1 of guild wars 1, I followed suit and picked up a ranger in this game and try to be an active part of that community. But really, that profession forum can be quite toxic, and the community of regular posters in that subforum are just overflowing with negativity and spite, to the point where, with the lack of dev communication, it was affecting my enjoyment of the game to be constantly reminded by a small group of people about all the things wrong with the game.

So, that being said, thank you for taking the time to post on the forums, and be so positive. Whenever you explain philosophies on the game and where you want the game to head, or discuss ideas you have to make the game better, they really do make me excited for the future of the game. Personally, I know that these changes aren’t going to happen instantly, but with a dev like you on board, I really am more satisfied overall with the game.

So I personally appreciate the time you take to post of the forums, and I have to say that as far as balance goes, if you are able to balance the way you suggest you want to in your philosophy, then I can only see a positive outcome. You did a great job with PAX, especially at commentating, and thanks again for the forum activity any everything you do for the game.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in PvP

Posted by: Silferas.3841

Silferas.3841

+1 for Jon and this whole post.

The only thing that saddens me deeply is the amount of top players, some of which I have been following ever since beta weekends, that have decided to part ways with gw2. As I’ve been watching the guildwars2pvptv stream yesterday late night, I felt deep sadness over the discussion that took place, about Xeph, HMan and even Helseth leaving the game, and later find out that even more of the valuable members of our community have decided to go. I just hope they will eventually return to this game.

[Path] of the Immortals – a guild for veterans – Join us
[S]illy [L]ittle [U]gly [T]rolls – our little dungeon forum community
“My mind has left, my body follows”

in PvP

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

Thank you.
Keep up the good work there

(edited by Dardamaniac.1295)

in PvP

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

^
wow so many letters in the greek alphabet

in PvP

Chromosome.7498

JCbroe, are you living on the same planet than us ?

If community QQ, It because sPvP actually is useless, and not funny. All of updates since right now in sPvP does not provide more fun.
A part of best players in sPvP leaved this game, because they think that conquest mode is not fun. And since one years, sPvP players ask more than new map.

Well, I enjoy that devs go back in this part of forum. But I appreciate that PvE boy stay on the other part of forum.
Because here ! Nobody is happy (And we don’t deserv it) !

in PvP

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

We aren’t Data
We get tired. Emotional. Fatigued. Excited. You name it. Ask any dev from any game, and they’ll tell you – they’ve been through it all in order to ship a game. And just like you (who are also not robots), we take vacations. We hit caps where we’re just so tired that we need to back off, recharge, take a vacation, and then come back to the project.

Don’t be ashamed to take a break if it keeps you sane. I know exactly what you’re talking about.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in PvP

Posted by: Amir.1570

Amir.1570

Chaplan, there are contradictions/incompetence in your balancing philosophies and I’ll give Warrior as an example.

1.) When you said you did not want Warrior to be broken in PvE, why did you buff their heals and not kept the numbers separate?
2.) More-so if you were going to nerf Warrior in PvE, why did the nerf for Axe come through in PvP when Axe is already lacking and needed help in PvP? I know you can spam Axe 1 in PvE, but you DID NOT have to nerf Axe 1 in PvP.
3.) When you said you did not want Warrior to be an unstoppable beast, why did you give them Berserker stance?

If you were going to buff Warrior, it could’ve been more creative like giving them 3 weapon swaps or an F2 that eats evade frames for one attack. It DID not need to be something that forgives bad play such as Berserker stance because its no different from distortion or rangers evade frames + effective HP.

Warrior should’ve been a “calculated rush down” character but then here you are making them a “brainless rush down” character that’s broken in both PvE and PvP. Why Chaplan? Just why?

in PvP

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

If community QQ, It because sPvP actually is useless, and not funny. All of updates since right now in sPvP does not provide more fun.
A part of best players in sPvP leaved this game, because they think that conquest mode is not fun. And since one years, sPvP players ask more than new map.

Well, I enjoy that devs go back in this part of forum. But I appreciate that PvE boy stay on the other part of forum.

There’s quite some depth to the conquest mechanic, but it takes some time to learn. I think that’s the biggest downfall, people don’t understand how important eg bunkering is (since one person can keep a point from being neutralized). People don’t understand the mechanic behind the guild lord, how it tends to create come backs. At pax this was explained to great length and once you know such things, you start to like the mode a lot more.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in PvP

Posted by: Ozymandias.5704

Ozymandias.5704

I think most people are silent, but we support you! Overall GW2 is a great game, and I have had lots of fun in it since launch. Looking forward to more to come, but make sure you don’t work yourselves to an early grave

It steam engines when it comes steam engine time.
- Charles Fort

in PvP

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

thanks for taking the time to feel this, think this, and write it all up. most appreciated from this end here.

now go to bed. or take a vacation.

and please, send my regards to the rest of your team, for what it’s worth. i know what you guys do is not easy – and that most certainly includes knowing what goes on in the forums and more!

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in PvP

Posted by: Narcin Roc.3018

Narcin Roc.3018

So the Ranger will be seeing some changes to the spirit build. We’re being very mindful to carefully shave it so that:

1. We’ve already seen counters to this build showing up (there’s a thread talking about the Warrior countering this build, and to what degree) in the meta.

It scares me that the devs consider a broken stun warrior a good counter for a broken spirit ranger. If that is true the view of the balance team, it’s going to get much worse.

in PvP

Posted by: Lazarast.6571

Lazarast.6571

First of all, I HATE you, now I’ll have to watch the wire again

So, like all you said but, there is a thing I really disagree. Arena modes, DM, it’s only that. I mean, a moba is a moba, and lot’s of people like mobas. If you compare to cod planting the bom, they allso have DM and that is what a lot of us are asking.

Playing 5v5 conquest requires a 5 person team, timetables, maybe a sixth person just in case…

If we have DM arenas 2v2 or 3v3 is much easier to play them any time and with ratings and some reward you don’t need any secondary objective, just play, get better, do quick games btw, and claim the rating ladder.

C ya!

in PvP

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Game types

Personally I can’t agree more here. I played Unreal Tournament (1999 version) again recently, and the reason deathmatch is fun there is because it’s fast paced, you basically do all the damage with one weapon until you find more, get armor, get the shieldbelt, health boosts. It works because every encounter is a matter of reaction speed, rather than load-out.

In GW2 or any RPG styled game death match would be so linear, there wouldn’t be anything interesting to it other than, “hey your builds counters ours, you win.”
It would be ARAM from league of legends, because you don’t see your opponents load-out for one single bit.

I would love to see something where there are more mission based objectives, (like assault), or to re-use all the other maps, make capture nodes linked, and have a version of warfare.

I think people expect to see new maps though with a new game-mode.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

Does any one else feels the disturbance in the force on the dev’s side?

in PvP

Posted by: Lewis Burnell.2493

Lewis Burnell.2493

The most frustrating thing for me isn’t the majority of which Jon has discussed, it is the lack of action against builds that are downright outrageous or professions that are just hopeless in sPvP.

For example, the latest changes to the warrior (while positive) are ridiculous for those of us fighting against them. I’ve practiced for hours upon hours against a guild mate (rank 40) who plays his warrior and the stun/daze combination (with greatsword and/or hammer, or greatsword/mace/shield) leaves no room for error by the player and the functionality of the skills means the warrior is always at a significant advantage.

When a warrior now has multiple stuns, at cooldowns of 25 seconds or less but when everyone else has stun breaks at 35 seconds or more, it isn’t uncommon to be killed instantly – with no ability to escape – if you have a single skill on cooldown. With effective rotation of stuns, a warrior can pretty much keep them up.
I’ve now lost count (and raged) at how short sighted this is. What does ArenaNet expect us to do: pack 3 stun breakers in the event we encounter a flavour of the month warrior build?

It makes me wonder if anyone at ArenaNet has yet to even encounter this and if they realise it’s a problem. It’s almost as frustrating as:

• Longbow rangers being horrendous in sPvP.
• Every ranger still running shortbow/traps and/or spirits (even though spirits are still GARBAGE everywhere else in the game).
• Bunkering still being mandatory for almost every profession.
• Berserker builds being completely useless for every other profession that can’t stealth.

I fully understand things take time, but when you have 4-5 Living World teams the allocation of resources for Jon and his team is clearly somewhere at the bottom of the pecking order and that’s a real shame.

in PvP

Posted by: JoshandSarah.5402

JoshandSarah.5402

Never too late to take a page from Blizzard’s book and post patch notes as they’re updated
Would be a nice little reminder that things are getting done.

in PvP

Posted by: Pnoi.8903

Pnoi.8903

We just want better rewards, stuff you can use to buy gold or get you gold in game. So pvp players can spend full time pvping, I honestly wanna be rich in game playing pvp. In gw1 I played pvp for forever and got my money, got ectos and z keys just because pvp and PvE are separate doesn’t mean currency and “cool” stuff have to be also. I also want blt co. Stuff, I wanna get gold so I can have my own pvp room. I wanna earn extra character slots by playing pvp. i want to earn bank and bag slots… I wanna get cool finishers, I wanna get “paid” for spending hours pvping similar to when you farm PvE champions.

IGN : Pnoi

in PvP

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

Sometimes it may seem like we aren’t listening, or we don’t respond to your posts. But a TON of things could be at work. Don’t assume that just because we don’t change things exactly when you want them changed that we’re ignoring you or don’t care about your opinions and thoughts.

Yet this is my entire source of negativity. Yes, a ton of things could be at work. It’s possible you are already looking into whatever problem we posted, but we never know. We can post and hope it will be fixed in the next patch. And so we keep posting and posting until we see the fix. The problem is that between the issue and the fix is a whole lot of uncertainty from our point of perspective. We have no clue whether our problem has been recognized. You are often very invisible on the forum, even if you read them generously. I have said it before, and I will say it again. A simple mention that “We are going to look into this”, “We are hearing what you say and will take it up for discussion” or even “While we recognize this is a problem for you, we are not going to look into it at this time.” – Whether you have good or bad news, any response is better than no response. Of course you can’t do it with every thread, but it does not take a long time after having gone through a thread to just type that you have seen the thread. Please have in mind that we are patient! We don’t want to wear you out, but we do want to be recognized. – And I feel you (sorry) suck at doing this! So often we report bugs and don’t get any kind of update until reading the patch notes.

As a few examples, take the Mini Mr. Sparkles – There is currently a thread on the frontpage in 3 different subforums, one of them with over 10.000 views and several pages. How hard would it be to write “We have no current plans of making this minipet purchasable from Gemstore” or “We will look into this”?

Or how about this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Tournament-chests-and-transferring-between-server-regions/page/2
Here you actually managed to give an update that the issue had been recognized and that there was no ETA. That’s fine. We can accept that. At least we know it is recognized. But then you left us in the dark for 9 months and counting. The update was in January. Surely you could have dropped by sometime during the last 9 months to at least say “We still don’t have any ETA on this.” – Even worse, if you contact support telling them that you transferred server and don’t receive chests any more, they don’t know anything. They can’t even refer you to the thread, because they don’t know it exists. Furthermore they seem to have a no replacement policy, meaning that the 100+ chests we are missing we won’t ever see. That’s really bad.

I’ll stop with examples there before I rant too much, but what I’m getting at is that communication is so important. When we run into problems with your product we want to know that you care. Not about your product, we know you care about that. But that you care about us. When we don’t get something as simple as recognition we will desperately start spamming the forums, trying to be seen. That’s when the forums flood with negativity because there is no one to help these desperations. Most of us don’t even mind you slowing down on content if it meant that you would take better care of your customers.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

(edited by Treeline.3865)

in PvP

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

• We’re working on new game types.

Thats all you need do, deathmatch and the PvP community will grow.

I really think they are underestimating deathmatch.

I really think you guys are overestimating deathmatch. I guess we will cross that bridge when we get there, and you will remember what I said.

in PvP

Posted by: VictorTroska.3725

VictorTroska.3725

I would give some slack if Gw2 devs were running their first mmo, but they are not. Gw2 PvP was horrible from the start, it was abomination really. Casual playerbase hardly ever returned to PvP after trying it. I know, ALL of my friends and myself stopped and I was “last man standing” from 14 people who started Gw2 with me. You, devs, must have known that you cannot create PvP for hardcore players only. 8 vs 8 hot join. WHY? When game is “balanced” around 5 v 5, you throw 8 vs 8 hot join at launch for players who get their first impressions of Gw2 PvP and their first impression is zerg and oneshotting thieves!

What were you thinking Gw2 devs?! I kitten predicted this within month of launch that you can kiss goodbye to e-sports and popular PvP if you dont fix it asap. People laughed at me and now what happened? Pretty posts of “we do this and that, we listen you guys” is all pointless now. You can add 1000 features to your “PvP” and you have still same tiny minority playing it because damage is done and for old mmo vets who suppose to know how to run stuff, you guys did poor job at very beginning of the game when it really mattered.

in PvP

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Can you do it better? Make your own game then. And please don’t try to use PvE as an insult, as though you have any idea how much time I’ve logged into PvP in this game (r40 by the by).

And I never said I was happy with the state of the game. I said I appreciated the time and effort the devs put into the game, and when they happen to respond to the forums. I also said that I respect the balance philosophies and that I have optimism that the game will end up in a good place if those philosophies are delivered on.

You’d rather be ungrateful, toxic, and attack others that show any sort of positivity though. It’s okay, I get it, whatever makes you feel better, and if it lets you sleep at night.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in PvP

Posted by: Noss.4105

Noss.4105

+1 for The Wire.
Omar coming, yo!

N*** Dew Gunnar’s Hold
WvW Roaming with Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Beatt.7340

Beatt.7340

Thank you, Chap :)

in PvP

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Here’s a thought Jon, quit balancing all game modes based on a dumbed down version of the game designed around standing on Points to win the game.

You don’t have to Separate PVE and WvW abilities, but you could save yourself and a lot of us a whole lot of trouble if you Separate Those two with SPvP, what is overpowered in SPvP and a pain for them, is a Joke in World vs World.

Do you see anyone crying about Spirit Rangers in World vs World? Nope….Because we don’t have to stand on a small point trying to hold it… We can just eat them alive and be done with it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in PvP

Posted by: Herac.6371

Herac.6371

Game types

We learned a lot from GW1.

I don’t think so.

We learned that having too many game types can split up the player base.

First of all, you need to have a player base.

I like DM, but I’m much more interested in objective based DM.

I think you mean…GvG? Capture flag (very important) for morale boost and recharge of Resurrection Signet <3 (not the #"@* system of downed mode) and kill the Guild Lord.
Only make a poll that has GvG in it and you’ll see the results.

No need to be very smart to know that the number of people working in team PvP is much lower than other facets of the game. ArenaNet has disappointed me a lot.

Forgive me but I don’t believe anything. You have always bypassed the GW2 PvP community.

R.I.P sPvP, sadly.

(edited by Herac.6371)

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Bubbles!

What the hell is that?
- Baltimore knot.
Baltimore knot? What the hell is a Baltimore knot?
- I dunno, but it’s never the same thing twice.

“If life gives you lemons, sell em and go get a fix”

oh and thanks for raising our hopes a bit again..

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in PvP

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

We get that you are busy and work as hard as you can. They question people asking is WHY you are not able to post over the course of 7 days and WHY PvP changes are coming so incredible slowly. They suspect the lack of people on this part of the game as the reason, not the work the few people do. Answer to that pls.

in PvP

Posted by: Wicked.9261

Wicked.9261

I think you guys made a great job in those 6 years of hard work but you also made a big mistake by splitting the community from the start. Each player plays only one game type from 3 available(PvE,WvW,sPvP) and you can’t please all of us because there is so much work to be done.

Now the bad is already done so you should hire more people to keep the community in place.

Razac Wickedbane

World Guardians [WvW] SFR Romanian Guild

in PvP

Chromosome.7498

Game types

We learned a lot from GW1.

I don’t think so.

We learned that having too many game types can split up the player base.

First of all, you need to have a player base.

I like DM, but I’m much more interested in objective based DM.

I think you mean…GvG? Capture flag (very important) for morale boost and recharge of Resurrection Signet <3 (not the #"@* system of downed mode) and kill the Guild Lord.
Only make a poll that has GvG in it and you’ll see the results.

No need to be very smart to know that the number of people working in team PvP is much lower than other facets of the game. ArenaNet has disappointed me a lot.

Forgive me but I don’t believe anything. You have always bypassed the GW2 PvP community.

R.I.P sPvP, sadly.

+1 !

in PvP

Dojo.1867

Also “you cannot just snap your fingers and things are fixed”. Well you cannot tell me fixing tooltips of certain skills would be hard, yet it takes you a year and more.

You lack resources. Admit it.

in PvP

Chromosome.7498

If a game lack resources, they dont make tournament with cashprice. They wait one or two years, fixe and make fun the game. Then they make tournament. No ?

in PvP

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

Here’s a thought Jon, quit balancing all game modes based on a dumbed down version of the game designed around standing on Points to win the game.

You don’t have to Separate PVE and WvW abilities, but you could save yourself and a lot of us a whole lot of trouble if you Separate Those two with SPvP, what is overpowered in SPvP and a pain for them, is a Joke in World vs World.

Do you see anyone crying about Spirit Rangers in World vs World? Nope….Because we don’t have to stand on a small point trying to hold it… We can just eat them alive and be done with it.

this very much. warriors are beasts in wvw and guardian trains are nearly unstoppable… spiritranger…oh well we saw 1 in wvw and my friend asked me what on earth those weird spirits were…we killed him in an instant…..aaand my friend still doesnt understand why it is feared in spvp.
if u balance only around 1v1 fights it will hurt wvw a lot as mesmers are maybe great duelists but in zergs…u gotta find a way to make this class work to tag and tank. but if u buff the mesmer around wvw, there would be problems in spvp too. so do us a favor and split the 2 for good.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in PvP

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Watch the wire? Dude that TV show is old. You guys must be workin hard.

Edit: The wire ran from 2002 to 2008 so it’s officially 5 yets old _ take a break once man!

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in PvP

Posted by: FirstBlood.7359

FirstBlood.7359

I liked the section about deathmatch and share your views. Putting players into an arena without any objective besides killing each other is shallow, neither fun to play nor to watch.

Tz tz

in PvP

Dojo.1867

The Wire is a really good show btw and tells you a lot about how things work in reality.

Can’t you just pull a McNulty Jon and fake a murder so that Colin gives you more people to work on PvP?

in PvP

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

So the Ranger will be seeing some changes to the spirit build. We’re being very mindful to carefully shave it so that:

1. We don’t hurt other areas of the game where the build may not be a problem, as it is in PvP, and
  2. We’ve already seen counters to this build showing up (there’s a thread talking about the Warrior countering this build, and to what degree) in the meta.

So, we will be “shaving” the build a little (we don’t want to over-correct the issue) and seeing how the meta adapts.

So your NERFING a build that the meta has adapted too and has developed a excellent counter to in the form of longbow warrior…

WHY?!?!

The 3 different game types and splitting skills. Splitting skills between all 3 of our game types (PvE, PvP, WvW) is very costly – it takes more time to split the skills, and then upkeep the split skills. Instead of upkeeping 1 version of a skill, whenever you make future changes, you now have to make sure all 3 are appropriately balanced for their respective game types. This is very powerful, and something we did in GW1 when we felt we needed it. We just need to be careful not to do it too much, or it means the balance team is literally balancing 3 entire games.

You will continue to have problems in ALL 3 game types if you balance around PvP only.

Your uncalled for NERFING in WvW and PvE as already lost GW2 1,000’s to 10,000’s of players…how is that good for GW2?

So don’t think that we hate X class. We love all the classes. But sometimes we need to adjust a few things in order to protect the health of the overall game.

Come off it, you hate the Ranger class with a passion…just admit it…its given you nothing but problem after problem…

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

in PvP

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

1. We don’t hurt other areas of the game where the build may not be a problem, as it is in PvP, and
  2. We’ve already seen counters to this build showing up (there’s a thread talking about the Warrior countering this build, and to what degree) in the meta.

So, we will be “shaving” the build a little (we don’t want to over-correct the issue) and seeing how the meta adapts.

So your NERFING a build that the meta has adapted too and has developed a excellent counter to in the form of longbow warrior…

WHY?!?!

Sounds like because they figure sun spirit is too hard to kill. I don’t know, honestly, I’m a little confused. Arguably wellomancer is easier to play; arguably the devs don’t want the skill floor to be too high because, with ranger pets, they disallow many potential pet control schemes and reduce it basically to two keys. So it’s a bit of an enigma for me as well. I don’t have all the facts though like a dev or pro player. I’m just a regular player who loves gw2 and wants to see it become something big.

By the way, I found the section on “perception of balance” informative and insightful. Thank you for clearing up how anet does work. No, everyone doesn’t get what they want. But if you love gw2, if you’re a fan, you just keep on keeping on.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

(edited by Chopps.5047)

in PvP

Posted by: kiyue.5817

kiyue.5817

Yes, I think most players (incl. myself) who repeatedly request a DM mode subconciously do want secondary objectives in a DM mode. I think no one realy wants a pure DM mode in the style of Quake or UT, bc it just doesn’t fit.
I think what we want is a mode that has more focus on killing than conquest does. Bc even conquest in gw2 is so different than it was in WoW for example.
You can’t just hotjoin and run around the map and focus on killing people as much (as you easily could in WoW, no matter what battleground you play) The reason for one part is that maps are “small” (for lack of a better word). I don’t mean they are too small, I mean the time it takes for you to move from A to B, while A being the point where you are engaged in a fight and B the point where an objective is at. So you are drawn to the objectives and automaticly focused on the conquest gametype. The gameplay feels like it wants you to avoid fights unless they are forced on a mid point or in a 1v1/2v1 home point or far point situation. The other reason is that obviously the meta adapts to the conquest mode only, so there are bunker builds that basically can make just running around and trying to kill stuff frustrating bc there are certain combinations you just can’t kill, so what do you do? you focus on the objectives again.
This concept is ok for conquest for the most part. But the result is that the gameplay can feel dull after a while and more gamemodes are even more needed.

So what we need is a mode, where killing people has a meaning and is encouraged alongside a secondary objective. And preferably it should keep a balance between teamfights and 1v1 situations making both meaningful so that they mostly aren’t being avoided.

And why no real arena mode, with 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 matchups on specifially designed maps?

And why is splitting up the playerbase a bad thing? As far as I can see it’s only bad if you have a small playerbase, but if it is large enough it shouldn’t be a problem. Many players just have different tastes. So why not let everyone focus on what they want? The fear might be that too few people play conquest anymore if there is another mode, but this might only be a problem in the short term. If sPvP offers a broader experience overall with a variety of different modes then things will even out on the long term imo.

(edited by kiyue.5817)

in PvP

Posted by: Kesil.8034

Kesil.8034

they know that a year has passed?
I understand certain things only at the beginning

too late

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

thx jon for this posts

and for DT i did on weekend with my guild this guildmission thingies and maaaan there was so many cool maps where i was going like “boah this would be so cool for team deathmatch”

like this map in ascalon somewhere, where you have to random pick some weapons and put it on statues. This map would be so nice for 5v5 team deathmatch.

plz do this someday^^

in PvP

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

nice work developers
if there’s anything you are good at, it’s  P R
would you like a cookie? i’ve laced it with money, of course you do..

if time is our only coin, then you’ve sure taxed the —-- out of all of us

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish