sPvP needs some serious love.

in PvP

Posted by: Zetta.5102

Zetta.5102

I’ll begin by saying that this is not a complaint topic; however, if GW2 wants to live up to its predecessor in terms of fair, balanced, and fun PvP, then a LOT needs to be done at the moment. I like GW2 overall, but I feel like a few tweaks would help the game immensely in the long-run. I’ll avoid talking about the PvE tweaks (Guild Halls!) that I believe should be implemented, but here is a small list of changes and additions that I’m sure no sane person will object to. =)

1.) This is the easiest fix. Hot-join sPvP needs to be 5v5. 8v8 grossly throws off profession balance (a team with 5 thieves will win nearly every time) and doesn’t allow players to properly practice for tourney PvP.

2.) Difficult to play builds need to be slightly more rewarding than easier ones. There were a lot of builds in GW1 that were fairly difficult compared to others, and they were generally fairly rewarding. In this game, there’s no reason to attempt to play a D/D assassin-style Elementalist when you can go S/P Thief and simply haste/pistol-whip everything for more AoE damage that’s far easier to understand and execute.

3.) More game modes need to be in place and available in tourney PvP. Capture the flag and deathmatch maps mixed in with the point-capture maps would be amazing and would require much more thought when building your team composition. In addition to this, things like Zaishen Arenas (where players fight npc teams based on popular team compositions in pvp) help bridge the gap between PvE and PvP. A player that isn’t comfortable with PvP can learn a lot via Zaishen Arenas.

4.) Neutral maps are not a bad thing. Not every map needs a flavor that completely changes the game. Map layout often changes the game greatly without flavor. While I think Svanir and Chieftan are fine as game mechanics, Trebuchets and Shark Control push the limits of “PvP” and end up feeling gimmicky. If your team has a competent Mesmer to control the trebuchet and the enemy team does not, you will probably win. Likewise, a good Elementalist (with whirlpool up) can defend Ruins and keep shark control quite easily against up to 3 players.

5.) Support NEEDS to be rewarded. Professions like Elementalist and (elixer-spec) Engineers are punished for playing to help their team, whereas other classes that kill easily while assaulting points continually top the charts. Heals need to yield a slight point gain, as does CC. Honestly, the entire point system needs to be reworked. Kills should award slightly less, while damage, healing, and cc should award points, and perhaps even more for interrupting important skills such as heals. Additionally, capping points should award less so that players don’t stand on a point until it is capped while the other nodes need assistance quickly.

TL;DR:
1.Make hot-join sPvP 5v5, not 8v8.
2.Reward difficult-to-play builds.
3.Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag mixed in into tourneys. Add Zaishen Arenas (where you fight npcs).
4.More neutral maps. Less gimmicky ones.
5.Rework point-gain system to reward support-style and cc-style play.

(edited by Zetta.5102)

in PvP

Zetta.5102

Does anyone else have any thoughts? An problems in my thinking?

in PvP

Posted by: azera.2890

azera.2890

I agree with everything. You have my support!

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

the trick of building is to find the most efficient configuration that can be played with ease. why punish yourself with a difficult to play build if another much easier and much potent build is available? it doesn’t make sense.

in PvP

Posted by: SmackMyBird.2386

SmackMyBird.2386

the trick of building is to find the most efficient configuration that can be played with ease. why punish yourself with a difficult to play build if another much easier and much potent build is available? it doesn’t make sense.

Which is exactly why the hard builds need to be more rewarding, that’s what he said, and that’s how it should be.

in PvP

Posted by: Keltic.9526

Keltic.9526

I am starting to feel that a lot of people just don’t realise that not everyone can come first.

in PvP

Zetta.5102

Which is exactly why the hard builds need to be more rewarding, that’s what he said, and that’s how it should be.

Exactly. I’m not saying easier builds should be useless, but at the moment, difficult builds/professions aren’t being used very much. There is no extra reward for approaching high skill ceilings in this game.

in PvP

Zetta.5102

I am starting to feel that a lot of people just don’t realise that not everyone can come first.

I am starting to feel like you either didn’t read my whole post (or even the whole TL;DR) or didn’t get my point.

in PvP

Posted by: Raging Bull.5048

Raging Bull.5048

I agree with you buddy.