Allow changing elite skills during cooldown

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ziggycuff.9715

Ziggycuff.9715

Often times in dungeons, we will have to wait for someones 200 second cooldown just so they can change it for the next fight, why not allow us to change at least the elite ability, while keeping the cooldown? That way, there is no waiting for a fight just so some mesmer can change from his Mass Stealth to his Timewarp. At least then the elite ability will be ready to use at some point in the fight.

Thanks

in Suggestions

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

This would totally destroy the purpose of cooldowns. Bad idea.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

in Suggestions

Posted by: SigillumMilitum.8140

SigillumMilitum.8140

I don’t see what’s wrong with this. You cannot change abilities in combat anyways, while the OP is not asking for elite cooldowns to instantly reset out of combat or on exchange. With how it is currently, it’s just a nuisance mechanic.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deathenger.1850

Deathenger.1850

Why would it have to change the cooldown? I agree, let us be able to change the skill while its cooling down.

Life is hard, but it’s even harder when your stupid.

in Suggestions

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

Cause the time it takes to get out of combat is way shorter then the CD of most elite skills, and this could be exploited in Dungeons or World PvP.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

Cause the time it takes to get out of combat is way shorter then the CD of most elite skills, and this could be exploited in Dungeons or World PvP.

I agree with both sides of the argument here… however I pose a question to you.

If it is exploited in PvP by one person, what stops everyone else from exploiting it the same way?

Although a simple solution to the PvP dilemma is disallow swapping on cool-down in PvP.

As for exploitation in PvE they could put a cooldown on skills swapped in while another is on cooldown.

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ziggycuff.9715

Ziggycuff.9715

Let me clarify what I am suggesting

The Problem: Elite skills have massive cooldowns. Being unable to change the elite skill (Outside of combat) while the cooldown is ticking down, is a nuisence. I am no means suggesting that we should be able to change abilities in combat, I am talking outside of combat. If we were able to change our elite abilities while it was cooling down, outside of combat, it would result in alot less down time and waiting.

The Actual Suggestion: Change it so we are able to change the ability (OUTSIDE OF COMBAT) while it is cooling down. The cooldown would still be ticking down from the last time you used it. At least this way you wont be stuck with a useless Elite ability in a fight that would benifit much more from another elite ability, because somebody was impatient. Yes, the cooldown would still be there, but at least you will have your ability when the cooldown ends.

This is just a suggestion, I am only level 53 and have one character, so maybe I don’t understand how this would be a bad thing, but I atleast hope that I have clearly explained the suggestion here.

Thank you for the discussion.

PS: I have little to no expereince in PvP, so I dont know how PvP is effected by this. Please keep this in mind, this is only a pet peeve I have when running dungeons.

(edited by Ziggycuff.9715)

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

If you could switch out any skill during its cd, wouldn’t that just make you have all skills at once? nty its fine the way it is. If anything, shapeshifting should last 45 sec or have slightly shorter cd other than that I see no issue.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sinner.9367

Sinner.9367

I think what he means is that you could change the elite skill during the cooldown time, but you cannot use the new elite till the old cooldown is over.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sinsko.9342

Sinsko.9342

The ability to change the elite skill during its cooldown time, but you must be out of combat to do it.

When the skill is changed, keep the remaining duration of the cooldown.

-That is what the OP is trying to get across… and I think it’s a great idea… I don’t mind waiting 3 minutes for the cooldown, and I’m VERY HAPPY staying out of combat to swap skills – but it slows down gameplay when you’re in a dungeon, arrive at a boss and be all “Hey guys, we gotta wait 2 minutes until I can change my skills…”

Saints – Ranger / Vincent Nightmare – Thief

in Suggestions

Posted by: Silver.8023

Silver.8023

The whole point of elite skills is that they’re kickass encounter changing abilities. If I could use one to win a fight in PvP or PvE, then quickly change it out inbetween fights to one that isn’t on cooldown, I could use six elite skills in the space of a couple of minutes. I think that would be completely unbalanced as it means everyone is essentially running around with six or so elite skills on their bar. I say, wait a few seconds.

Silver Stormshield – Guardian
Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

in Suggestions

Posted by: SigillumMilitum.8140

SigillumMilitum.8140

The whole point of elite skills is that they’re kickass encounter changing abilities. If I could use one to win a fight in PvP or PvE, then quickly change it out inbetween fights to one that isn’t on cooldown, I could use six elite skills in the space of a couple of minutes. I think that would be completely unbalanced as it means everyone is essentially running around with six or so elite skills on their bar. I say, wait a few seconds.

That would be a valid concern if it weren’t for the fact that quite a few elites are garbage. In reality, there are only 2-3 at most worth using for each character class, including racial elites.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bonzoso.7014

Bonzoso.7014

That isn’t what the OP is asking for. He just wants to be able to change the slotted skill during the last skill’s cooldown so that, when that cooldown ends, he can use his newly slotted skill as soon as possible. I agree with him. The weapon skill system and limited number of restricted heal/utility/elite slots are designed to give players tactical options for different situations that they can switch up at will when they’re out of combat, and the current system just makes people have to wait before being able to do that.