Combat based objective ie. GvG integration

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

Here’s an idea to integrate group deathmatch combat (ie. “GvG”) into WvW, I guess.

• Basically, a portal can spawn into a seperate instance (let’s call it a “Fractal Tear”).
  • Players can enter the portal, but not much happens until the match begins. (maybe some activities whilst we wait for everyone to become ready.)
  • There are a variety of arenas with differing terrain, and some have gimmicks.
  • When only one faction is left alive, the portal closes and some sort of benefit is granted to the winning server.
  • Inside of the portal is immune to bloodlust and other such buffs.

The details are up in the air:
- Portal spawning condition: Randomly appear on the map? Permanently placed at certain objectives? Created by a consumable?
- Player count, start condition: Is player count fixed? Or determined by the participants? Start after a fixed time? Start when everyone is ready? Start when both sides are filled?
- Choosing arena: Random? Selectable? Determined by the consumable used / location of the objective? etc
- Win reward: Buff for the server? If it’s a consumable, some sort of mega siege weapon appears from the portal? If it’s an objective, the winning side captures the objective.

So yeah, at the moment the “set pieces” in WvW mostly revolve around Siege vs. Defense in some form. Symmetrical, open combat occurs accidentally and isnt really recognised or rewarded by the system.

Some examples of my suggestion:

- Replace some supply camps with mining camps. Mining camps are a seperate instance. To capture a mining camp, up to 10 players in a faction can enter it. Whilst they are inside, they can kill NPC monsters, which will generate supplies and Dolyaks outside the camp. An enemy side can challenge the camp by entering up to 10 players. When they are ready, they hit a button and both sides start a deathmatch. The losing side is ejected from the mining camp.

- You can purchase an Asura Fractal Mega Laser Cannon consumable. When it’s used, a Fractal Tear will appear and the cannon slowly begins to materialise. After 5 minutes, it will be complete and can be used for massive siege damage. At any time, the enemy can enter the Fractal Tear and attack the cannon. If the owner’s team enters to defend, a deathmatch begins.

- The defensive equivalent of the above, a Fractal Fortress Shield. Makes a gate/wall invulnerable to conventional damage. The only way to destroy the shield is to enter the fractal tear and destroy the shield generator. The owner’s team can also enter and defend the shield via a deathmatch.

- Instant Bloodlust consumable. Grants the bloodlust buff for an hour to your server. When used, it generates a portal. Two sides can enter. Nothing happens until both teams are filled, then a deathmatch starts. Whoever wins will claim the buff for their server. ie. This consumable can be used for organised GvGs, and the result will benefit the entire server. Although I guess griefing and sabotage could occur too.

(edited by Rieselle.5079)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Altie.4571

Altie.4571

Or just create another EB Jumping Puzzle type of zone that’s a flat map and let people go to duke it out.

Problem is this will never be done because it “takes away from WvW”. Which you cannot blame Anet for since it is true.

When scientists discover the center of the universe,
a lot of people will be disappointed they are not it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

Whilst i agree that it won’t be done, i think my proposal doesn’t “take away from wvw” unlike your jumping puzzle version. Since my entire point is to integrate arena combat into normal wvw gameplay and objectives.

in Suggestions

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Problem is this will never be done because it “takes away from WvW”. Which you cannot blame Anet for since it is true.

We can certainly blame arenanet for not recognising what players want and not being flexible enough to adapt to changes in the environment. If GvG dies due to the bloodlust buff expect guilds to leave the game.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zephyrus.9680

Zephyrus.9680

Or just create another EB Jumping Puzzle type of zone that’s a flat map and let people go to duke it out.

Not a good argument. Adding new features to accommodate more PvP modes is always a good thing and will bring players to the game. So for example sPvP is “taking away from WvW” in the manner you seem to imply so they could remove sPvP and force maybe half of those players into WvW and lose the other half…

Zefyres – Ele | Maguuma | (ex) top100 solo/teamQ casual | Youtube