WvW-Suggestion: Restrict view-angle in WvW

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

While the view angle on fullscreen modus on a 2560×1440 screen is already quite large (attachment 1),
the view angle possible in window mode (attachment 2) is game-breaking with respect to ground-target attacks that do not need a LoS, esp. arrow cards. (Why does Barrage need LoS while ACs do not? Isn’t this essentially the same attack?)

Please restrict the possible view-angle’s the engine allows you to see.
As this may be a complicated change, please disable window mode in WvW immediately till it can be done.

This is a normal feature of the GW2 engine and I think I read somewhere an ANet post where this is proudly presented and not et al a hack. So I think it is adequate to discuss this feature in the forum and not via email to support.

PS: These screen-shoots are made in lio-arch, I will never use window mode in WvW.

PPS: Should this be kept secret till ANet fixes it (i.e. is this post an exploit advertisement)? I don’t think so as it does give players a long term advantage (not a personal exploit), it mainly gives them an advantage because most are still not aware of it it. As soon as you knew it you can choose your defensive positions according to it. You can see the AC that see’s you and you are not surprised by it and expect hacker everywhere on the other side.

In my view the worst is a few use it to their unfair advantage, bad but less worse is if WvW doesn’t work properly anymore as everyone uses it. The only good solution is ANet disable it asap.

Attachments:

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in Suggestions

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

If anything that screenshot makes me wish all my enemies would do this.

in Suggestions

Dayra.7405

In zerg vs zerg battles you are right, sitting on an arrow-card you are wrong.
and switching from window mode to full-screen is just 1 mouse-click on the full-screen button of the window.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DasEi.3502

DasEi.3502

/sign

please A-net stop this exploid using and disable window mode in WvW and maybe even multi screen because you get the same results with it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

The thing is, I play in windowed mode all the time. I don’t like covering up the windows explorer bar. I don’t have another monitor, laptop, or tablet to be using at the same time. So I have to multi-task on one screen. Thus forcing full screen or a certain resolution isn’t the solution.

The solution is to lock the window between a certain aspect ratio. Or, make AC’s line of sight of something else.

Besides, WvW is more than likely a very small population of the game. Locking out a feature for all players due to WvW is kinda overkill.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Suggestions

Posted by: innocent ouarior.1954

innocent ouarior.1954

That or lift up cam distance because many players are actually tired to have 40% of the screen used by the butt of their toon.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Amasius.9014

Amasius.9014

PS: These screen-shoots are made in lio-arch, I will never use window mode in WvW.

5 signets? I hope that you will never use this build in WvW, Dayra. :P

Pishy – Warrior
[FeaR] The First Impact – Riverside

in Suggestions

Dayra.7405

5 signets? I hope that you will never use this build in WvW, Dayra. :P

No my warrior only plays pve, where I am to lazy to use anything beside passive effects, I play mostly necro and a bit ele in WvW.
But you are off-topic

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lifewaster.5912

Lifewaster.5912

This is absolutely game breaking in the hands of players with increased range and increased radius on arrow carts that bypass LOS rules.

One player can take out all defensive siege inside tower just because of the the extra 1000 range. Previously it would at least require 2-3 differently placed carts to hit all the locations inside.

Its been several weeks since the extra range was added, and 21 days since Devon admitted the range is broken. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Update-on-Arrow-Carts-in-WvW/first#post2023913
And still no progress on this issue at all is depressing.

Definitely ACs need some form of LOS applied to them, but in the short term if they would at least fix the range this would cut out half of the the abuse.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lifewaster.5912

Lifewaster.5912

Short term fixes that could be immediately applied:

(1)Change all gates to solid mode, no more “hole” above the gate . This cuts out a lot of the less severe exploiting.

(2)Apply the planned AC range fix of 2800 range when traited. Theres no excuse for the 21 days delay in doing this.

(3)Apply full LOS rules to ACs when beyond 50% range. This will still allow them to fire down from fort walls.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blackelk.3784

Blackelk.3784

Day try testing that in WvW I think they fixed the aspect ratios there. I attempted this the other day after I noticed an aspect ratio fix in WvW patch notes. I also haven’t seen any siege carted down.

Guild Lead -[MMAC] Mixed Martial Arts and Crafts
Bluntski

in Suggestions

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

In zerg vs zerg battles you are right, sitting on an arrow-card you are wrong.
and switching from window mode to full-screen is just 1 mouse-click on the full-screen button of the window.

I would actually prefer arrow carts be targetable via the minimap anyway. Their attack itself has never required LOS and doesn’t even make sense that way; if we know someone is there, and it’s within range, we should be able to target the area.

Though at the same time, I wouldn’t mind seeing roofs and such block the path of the projectiles as they do with other siege weapons. Fighting in keeps/SMC would then rely on catapults and ballistae, and the area directly beneath a gate would all of a sudden require the eternally dead and ignored oil thing to be maintained and used for its only actual function…

in Suggestions

Dayra.7405

Day try testing that in WvW I think they fixed the aspect ratios there. I attempted this the other day after I noticed an aspect ratio fix in WvW patch notes. I also haven’t seen any siege carted down.

I would not call this fixed. Standing on the ground inside our tower cliffside, being able to look onto the wall and behind …

Attachments:

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Terrorsquad.2349

Terrorsquad.2349

The thing is, I play in windowed mode all the time. I don’t like covering up the windows explorer bar. I don’t have another monitor, laptop, or tablet to be using at the same time. So I have to multi-task on one screen. Thus forcing full screen or a certain resolution isn’t the solution.

The solution is to lock the window between a certain aspect ratio. Or, make AC’s line of sight of something else.

Besides, WvW is more than likely a very small population of the game. Locking out a feature for all players due to WvW is kinda overkill.

Alt+Tab

Denied | 5.9k PvP Games | PvP Rank: 236 | 8.6k hours | 9 Legendaries | Still Bad.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zephyrus.9680

Zephyrus.9680

They just need to limit the screen resolution, at least for WvW.

Zefyres – Ele | Maguuma | (ex) top100 solo/teamQ casual | Youtube

in Suggestions

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

The answer is to make Arrow carts and/or GTAOE targetable only within a 16:9 area in the center of the window.

Little red Lioka

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lepew.7890

Lepew.7890

There should be a basic gravity model in the game which has initial velocity, and angle to calculate trajectories. All targeting should be either permitted or not permitted upon the basis of that physics. If a parabolic path exists for the initial velocity (power) of the siege engine between points A and B, then the crosshair should green. This would also mean that cross hairs would have to go through walls etc. So a mortar with is super high arch against a wall should let you target far on the other side of that wall even though you can not see it because the physics of the mortar is right. The game as it stands right now has the physics wrong, letting camera angle determine whether a trajectory is valid or not.

McDingus – DDLG guild – Stormbluff Isle

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wotah.2975

Wotah.2975

Simple solution have the person log out and back in every time they make a change.

Wotah, Brutaler [SICK]/[SG]
Plague/Shadow Gypsies
Jade Quarry

in Suggestions

Posted by: Naffy.1493

Naffy.1493

There should be a basic gravity model in the game which has initial velocity, and angle to calculate trajectories. All targeting should be either permitted or not permitted upon the basis of that physics. If a parabolic path exists for the initial velocity (power) of the siege engine between points A and B, then the crosshair should green. This would also mean that cross hairs would have to go through walls etc. So a mortar with is super high arch against a wall should let you target far on the other side of that wall even though you can not see it because the physics of the mortar is right. The game as it stands right now has the physics wrong, letting camera angle determine whether a trajectory is valid or not.

This 100%. As I said before. If Q-Basic gorrillas can master parabolic flight, so can ANet.

Tree Dink – Sylvari Guardian
Os of NSP

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

I love it when players who don’t have a 3 screen setup tell me what is and isn’t possible on my 3 screen setup.

I can clearly see over walls…
/faepalm

Attachments:

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

nice build there

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zephyrus.9680

Zephyrus.9680

Problem with this is everyone’s computers and the server would explode if each arrow was a projectile. Also what you’re asking would require a new game engine to accommodate viewing/targeting for other arcing projectiles.

Really they just need to limit resolution if only for WvW to put everyone on the same playing field.

I love it when players who don’t have a 3 screen setup tell me what is and isn’t possible on my 3 screen setup.

/faepalm

Refer to the earlier screenshot in this thread. I don’t think you even need the hardware to get that resolution.

Zefyres – Ele | Maguuma | (ex) top100 solo/teamQ casual | Youtube

(edited by Zephyrus.9680)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eyelusion.8205

Eyelusion.8205

/faepalm

LOL! What big WALLS you have….

Ele’s Pwn J00!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Liquid.9672

Liquid.9672

Anet really needs to get a handle on this. With the buffs to arrow carts, and increased range and target area in particular, ACs are hitting areas that should be off limits. Players are going to start quitting the game format over this.

Zend(ario/imas/iana/ango) – Engi/Ele/Necro/Guardian
[KnT] – Blackgate

in Suggestions

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

They need to do some recoding on the engine to restrict it to a single widescreen resolution. Allow displaying of the side screens but restrict the game from allowing you to use them to target. The most anet should allow is 16:9 ratio screens for targeting.

This would cover the resizing issue as only a 16:9 ratio area will be useable for targeting.

It probably would be really tricky to implement but would catchall on the resizing issue. It would not resolve the ‘zoom hack’ issue.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in Suggestions

Posted by: mechanizeddeath.3127

mechanizeddeath.3127

So basically you either need to invest in two more monitors or make your game window ugly in order to win the game of Arrow Cart Wars 2.

I’ve lost count of the times I’ve been hit from behind a wall by an arrow cart that was placed right against that wall. The first time it happened I just died, didn’t even try to run or heal, simply because I was trying to figure out what was happening.

Why even jeopardize your account with a zoom hack when the game itself allows such behavior natively?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

I’ve been hit from behind a wall by an arrow cart that was placed right against that wall.

It’s called a zoom hack, not 3 screen.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in Suggestions

Posted by: rotsono.9176

rotsono.9176

I’ve been hit from behind a wall by an arrow cart that was placed right against that wall.

It’s called a zoom hack, not 3 screen.

This isnt a zoomhack you can shot over walls with that window thing as you can see on the second screen in the first post.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Morgoth Bauglyr.9726

Morgoth Bauglyr.9726

fixing the resultion is not really feasable.
different monitors have different resolutions and thus different fov. also some people cannot play fullscreen for perfomance reasons. samller window runs faster.

solutions:
- add fov setting (has been requested a gazillion times anyway for motion sickness and headache reasons)
- change arrow cart targetting (on map, xray, etc)
- arrow carts require line of sight

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daedus Wolfe.1749

Daedus Wolfe.1749

Here’s a thought. How about anet actually uses trajectory math and finding things like walls, cliffs, roofs and other such large coverage in their AOE weapons targeting. I find it quite frustrating that an arrow cart can fire through a wall that it is set up against. Or that it can rain arrows down on people under an arch or low bridge. some actual physics in the targeting would be nice and make using siege a bit more interesting and challenging.