WvWvW night caping

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: dario.3605

dario.3605

So, first of all i want to say that english not being my main language, please don’t judge any mistakes i make. I have noticed that when playing in peak hours we play very good on hour server and have a lot of map coverage(i play on an european server). Problem arises when playing against servers which have a lot of players from different time zones (russians, asians and so on, i heard same thing about canadians on french servers) and when logging in the morning our maps are completely lost, and for the only reason that people have to sleep eventually, and noone can stake awake 24/7. Regarding that i had an idea (i haven’t been following forums much so someone might have posted something similar before without me knowing). So lets say towers, keeps and camps, don’t start giving full points right upon capture, but let them have a potential total of points which are given if some conditions are met (i would say, time and upgrades, would be good ones for start). So let me make an example: lets say a camp has 5 total potential points, but at capture you are just getting one. to get the other points you have to hold the camp for an hour and an upgrade for each additional point (1hour+1upgrade=2 points, 2hours+2upgrades=3 points and so on). The same could be applied to towers and keeps, even with slight modifications.
What could be achieved by doing this? well for starters it would stop zergs going trough a map , and just moove the zerg to the next map upon completation of the first, but force them to defend if they want to start getting big points. Second, even if not completely preventing it, it could make the burden of night caping less painfull , cause the points gained from the few hours people are sleeping wouldn’t be so radical as they are now.
Also i wouldn’t call it points but influence that a certain camp, tower or keep has on the map.

Any thoughts?
Best regards

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Le Rooster.8715

Le Rooster.8715

Night Capping thread that isn’t directed at Sea of Sorrows, i like this!

But still no

Roosters Inc-Team Shatter [TS] Commander
Sea of Sorrows http://www.gw2sos.com/index.php

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

dario.3605

it isn’t directed to anyone, that is why i didn’t mention any servers, just an idea how to make things better. I might be wrong though so thats why i started the topic to see otther points of view about it.

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Le Rooster.8715

Le Rooster.8715

Well look it can be frustrating, but your night is someone else’s day, how would you like it if your points were capped simply because of where you live, and Anet have specifically said there point of view on this issue is that there will be no point skewing related to timezones full stop.

Roosters Inc-Team Shatter [TS] Commander
Sea of Sorrows http://www.gw2sos.com/index.php

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

well I agree on 1 point!
WvW should reward more defence over conquest.. at the moment no one cares about defending own stuffs because it’s better to conquer and move on the next target than stay and save a camp, a tower or a keep.
Also there are no rewards for people that spend gold on upgrades and try to defend something.
I want to see my gold worth it when I usi it on a tower or a camp and not to see it wasted 5 mins later cos that camp has switched owner. Give to me or my guild something back for our effort in wvw.

Thief might not be as strong as last year
but they’re a lot stronger
than they will be next year!

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

dario.3605

Well but i would have to play by exactely the same rulesand my points would be capped too if i don’t defend and upgrade. The point is not to take points from anyone. They would still recieve points and i would still need to recap it in the morning if i wanted points. Only difference would be you have to keep defend and upgrade to be able to get maximum points

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Amaryllis Viper.2318

Amaryllis Viper.2318

I know that GW took at stand a little while back and stated that WvW is a continuous world of constant battle and they see no reason to address Pacific Rim personnel in NA servers. But, the fact that North American Players have to continually have to watch their servers get decimated through the night seems unfair to people that are really from NA.

Here is a example. Last night all three servers were going strait head to head and not one server was getting the upper hand. However Maguma and my server SBI, woke up to things like this (pic below). When I search online on servers that rank higher they will actively try to recruit international guilds, for the purpose for night capping.

Seems like if Anet is really ever going to get a true understanding about what servers are the best in WvW, and continue to strive that casual and non casual players to feel like it’s a inviting game to play they will need to address this(my opinion). If Anet stance is going to continue to be a free for all, then should not EU and NA server get to play against each other? I’m sure that ANet did not let EU and NA servers play against each other was because of night capping/Off hour fighting.

I was wondering what the GW2 community feels about this?

Attachments:

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: nglcpyro.4906

nglcpyro.4906

USA != the entire world population.

If you’re annoyed by so called “night capping”, don’t sleep. Ever. Now to sit back with my popcorn

[OCD]Ordo Contegium Destinatus
-Plush Griffon Recruit of the Jade Quarry Militia-

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Not sure how well it would work in a technical sense, pitting servers in Hessen and Texas against each other…

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aurust.8961

Aurust.8961

Welcome to 8 months ago…….

If you want your server to compete higher up, you MUST have off hour coverage.

Master- [DKLT] The Darkness and The Light
JQ WvW

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Welcome to 8 months ago…….

If you want your server to compete higher up, you MUST have off hour coverage.

Unless it’s just people up early/late in NA of course… we all know those can’t cap anything. ;P

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Devon.9061

Devon.9061

On the bright side you guys do have +10 PP

Last Forum Account Left.
Yo mama jokes to stronk.
Forum Mods to weak.

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

^—- thats the spirit. NOW COME ONNN HOD get back into the game :P

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

If anything, NA is an offensive (and misleading) name to give to the servers. If you aren’t on a euro server, you are on an NA server. It simply indicates the server location, not server population. Some servers have more oceanic players than they do USA players when it comes to WvW. The only way to be happy with WvW is to take an extremely casual approach to it or dellude yourself into thinking winning is meaningful when you are on the most stacked server.

WvW is and has always been about coverage. Which servers can field the most numbers at the most times. Which servers have the most dedicated guilds to organise the maps during several time zones. It’s a numbers game. Unless you’re winning, it’s best to accept that and take a casual approach to things. WvW is not intended to be balanced. I don’t know why they have a score board because the only competition it measures is who recruits better than the other server. A 24/7 arena just isn’t viable in a truly balanced and competitive way.

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I’ve been on late at night and I’m from Ohio. If they put a limit, it will effect my play just as much as yours, as well as any that are up at night instead of daytime.

WvW is a 24 hour game. What you want to chage it to? 12 hour game? Why should I get screwed and not you. I think that if there is going to be any limit, it should be the time zone of the player that is making the request so that they screw themselves instead.

The only way to fix it is to get rid of the current set up and introduce factions and have those teams pulled from the varous servers. Server vs Server isn’t going to lead to a balanced match unless people are specifically put upon those servers in a way to ensure that there is a balanced population

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

The system is flawed from the bottom up because of this. If you want to compete in WvW you need to have a high populated WvW population at all times of the day/night.

You shouldn’t have to recruit and campaign your server in hopes of getting that big guild for coverage, WvW does not have the amount of depth to revolve around this. It’s not EVE online. It’s a small map where zerg tactics rule the day. There is no tactical risk to sending your entire zerg to one location because they can easily be across the map in a matter of minutes.

WvW in GW2 is not a continuous world, the maps are so small that a high populated server can respond within minutes to any threat. There are very few tactical situation where a small force can defeat an enemy ratio of 3:1, even less so with how ridicules arrow carts are at assaulting a tower.

It’s not a kittening real war, it’s a game, and any game designer will tell you that it’s fundamentally flawed in it’s current state.

(edited by grifflyman.8102)

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: pot.6805

pot.6805

The system is flawed from the bottom up because of this. If you want to compete in WvW you need to have a high populated WvW population at all times of the day/night.

You shouldn’t have to recruit and campaign your server in hopes of getting that big guild for coverage, WvW does not have the amount of depth to revolve around this. It’s not EVE online. It’s a small map where zerg tactics rule the day. There is no tactical risk to sending your entire zerg to one location because they can easily be across the map in a matter of minutes.

WvW in GW2 is not a continuous world, the maps are so small that a high populated server can respond within minutes to any threat. There are very few tactical situation where a small force can defeat an enemy ration of 3:1, even less so with how ridicules arrow carts are at assaulting a tower.

It’s not a kittening real war, it’s a game, and any game designer will tell you that it’s fundamentally flawed in it’s current state.

I completely agree, good post.

BeeGee
Beast mode

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hadan.2841

Hadan.2841

NA servers should be for NA and EU for EU. its tht simple lol. ANET dropped the ball on this and cant fix it. just have to deal with it.

Leader/Driver of Krew/MR

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

grifflyman.8102

If they don’t see an issue with night capping just let us play the US servers play the EU servers. That should work…..

:P

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

Siege has been buffed to stuipid levels, particularly ACs. If the day time crew sieges stuff properly before they logout, a shell night time force should be able to hold most of what you have.

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Elochai.1280

Elochai.1280

I’m not so concerned about the night capping. I more against it because larger stronger forces don’t meet or the smaller forces don’t meet at the same times. I rather have them meet for the sake of fun not to points chase each other.

Elochai Rendar 80 Warrior/Anskar Rendar 80 Necromancer/Rylea Rendar 80 Thief/Kento Rendar 80 Ranger
Commander

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

grifflyman.8102

WvW is Coverage vs. Coverage, the big mighty pvp guilds left this game ages ago because they figured this out.

Coverage vs. tactics. Coverage wins.

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

I’m sure that ANet did not let EU and NA servers play against each other was because of night capping/Off hour fighting.

Latency actually.

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: chefdiablo.6791

chefdiablo.6791

Siege has been buffed to stuipid levels, particularly ACs. If the day time crew sieges stuff properly before they logout, a shell night time force should be able to hold most of what you have.

Regarding the situation with DB in that tier.

The Ocean/Sea presence they have compared to their competition is so outnumbered that there is no way for them to keep up a defense of that magnitude.

The other two servers are most likely outmanned facing nearly a full queue from DB if not a full queue. You can have all the siege you want, without bodies to use it, the effort is futile.

I used to play on Dragonbrand not so long ago, I often played along side that force and faced little to no opposition at those hours until we reached T2.

It is not just a group of 30 players playing pvd. They have enough to queue a couple maps without too much trouble if the players are willing.

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

grifflyman.8102

This is why I wish the maps were a bit larger. If your forced to spread your forces across a complete map to control everything it gives smaller forces a better chance in claiming little areas and feeling like they have an impact.

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

grifflyman.8102

Someone make a petition to rename WvW to Coverage Vs. Coverage…

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

Disagreed with the hate on coverage.
Agreed with increasing the focus on defending.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Wow! It’s just like the first months after launch again. Ahh, that QQ nostalgia…

Regarding that i had an idea (i haven’t been following forums much so someone might have posted something similar before without me knowing). So lets say towers, keeps and camps, don’t start giving full points right upon capture, but let them have a potential total of points which are given if some conditions are met (i would say, time and upgrades, would be good ones for start). So let me make an example: lets say a camp has 5 total potential points, but at capture you are just getting one. to get the other points you have to hold the camp for an hour and an upgrade for each additional point (1hour+1upgrade=2 points, 2hours+2upgrades=3 points and so on). The same could be applied to towers and keeps, even with slight modifications.
What could be achieved by doing this? well for starters it would stop zergs going trough a map , and just moove the zerg to the next map upon completation of the first, but force them to defend if they want to start getting big points. Second, even if not completely preventing it, it could make the burden of night caping less painfull , cause the points gained from the few hours people are sleeping wouldn’t be so radical as they are now.
Also i wouldn’t call it points but influence that a certain camp, tower or keep has on the map.

It would probably not make any difference to the playstyle of an organised server, and certainly would have nothing to do with so-called night capping. The problem with your idea is that the object of the game is to have more points than the enemy. So, you might want to focus on getting your own points fully upgraded and held for a long time; but it’s equally valuable to make sure your enemy doesn’t get their points fully upgraded and held for a long time. If anything, the latter would become more important than it is in the current meta. So yeah, no real changes, and not in the direction you seem to want.

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: sazaw.1347

sazaw.1347

There is no such thing as “night capping”.

Wrath T – Asura Necro | Don Hohenheim – Norn Guard | Bellcroxx – Human Mesmer
[DKJ] – Jade Quarry

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

Please moderators,
Either move this to the appropriate sub-forum; or better yet, close it.
This issue was addressed back in beta and thrown away then.

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: declan.3968

declan.3968

Any thoughts?
Best regards

Wouldn’t this make the server that night caps win? Since they have the potential to get full points via upgrading without challenge, whereas the time with the most ppl on will see a lot of structures change hands rapidly?

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Atoss.1056

Atoss.1056

I know that GW took at stand a little while back and stated that WvW is a continuous world of constant battle and they see no reason to address Pacific Rim personnel in NA servers. But, the fact that North American Players have to continually have to watch their servers get decimated through the night seems unfair to people that are really from NA.

Here is a example. Last night all three servers were going strait head to head and not one server was getting the upper hand. However Maguma and my server SBI, woke up to things like this (pic below). When I search online on servers that rank higher they will actively try to recruit international guilds, for the purpose for night capping.

Seems like if Anet is really ever going to get a true understanding about what servers are the best in WvW, and continue to strive that casual and non casual players to feel like it’s a inviting game to play they will need to address this(my opinion). If Anet stance is going to continue to be a free for all, then should not EU and NA server get to play against each other? I’m sure that ANet did not let EU and NA servers play against each other was because of night capping/Off hour fighting.

I was wondering what the GW2 community feels about this?

Eyefinity – WANT!
Anyway, it’s up to ppl to spread on all of the servers if they want more balanced WvW. Anet could help by opening free transfer for some time. For now there are servers full of ppl and some almost empty, also the “Very High” or “Medium” only reflects total population, not the WvW population – would be cool to see some separate rank of how many ppl on the server join WvW daily.

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fizzlefry.1734

Fizzlefry.1734

Drastically decrease the point gain for holding towers/keeps.
Implement point gain from killing other players. People would actually have to venture out of their towers and start fighting.

TDA

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Snowreap.5174

Snowreap.5174

The title of this thread isn’t good, but the idea is. (also, this thread belongs in the main WvW forum, rather than the Matchups forum).

Instead of objectives giving full PPT value as soon as they’re taken, having them ‘ramp up’ over time would make defense of an objective more important, and it would reduce the impact of zerg karma trains on PPT.

And it would help mitigate the effects of off-hours captures, without penalizing off-hours players in any way — the scoring rules would be the same for everyone.

One disadvantage is that it would reduce the effectiveness of capturing large numbers of ‘easy’ objectives (typically supply camps) just before the PPT tick, but that’s kind of a cheesy tactic anyway and I don’t think the game would be worse without it.

-ken

The Purge [PURG] – Ehmry Bay

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Caid.4932

Caid.4932

your night is someone else’s day,.

This point might have merit in NA. Not so much on eu servers.
Outside of people living in eastern russia (who are more likely to be on NA servers i imagine) theres about a 3 hour difference in times between eu players.
Theres a very distinct off peak / peak time on eu servers.

[Dius]

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Drastically decrease the point gain for holding towers/keeps.
Implement point gain from killing other players. People would actually have to venture out of their towers and start fighting.

Or stay in their towers/keeps more to avoid getting killed and giving points to the other team.

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mathemagician.1836

Mathemagician.1836

Instead of doing anything messy with PPT, which I agree is unfair, I’d like to propose an alternative solution.

WvW maps that are time-gated.

So there is a NA prime-time map that is open from, I dunno, 5pm-5am EST and an Oceanic primetime map, with similar hours. That removes the “night capping” because the conflict takes place on a different set of objectives, and if you don’t have the coverage, you should lose them. Just an idea.

Hopf Bifurcation, Norn Mesmer, We Are Owl Exterminators [OWL], No Dice [DICE]
Fort Aspenwood

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

You know, back when I played RvR, night capping was called a “relic raid” and usually both sides would congratulate each other on a hard fought fight. Set your alarms and get the job done. Either you succeed or the other team fields enough to stop you.

Not to say there wasn’t flaming and trolling but…man you guys whine about something that’s an integral part of the game quite frequently. It’s quite annoying.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Chris.3290

Instead of doing anything messy with PPT, which I agree is unfair, I’d like to propose an alternative solution.

So there is a NA prime-time map that is open from, I dunno, 5pm-5am EST and an Oceanic primetime map, with similar hours. That removes the “night capping” because the conflict takes place on a different set of objectives, and if you don’t have the coverage, you should lose them. Just an idea.

An innovative idea, but flawed since they’d have fewer people spreading across more maps, the BL’s and EB would still be up for grabs; and it would offer even more PPT for night heavy servers.

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Chris.3290

Hmm, only if there was a rating system. One that didn’t have a random component that didn’t fling servers against servers with greater coverage.

One that would group servers with like scores together into tiers…hmm

Seriously, bring back the old system with a “3 strike rule” where if you take first or third for 3 weeks in a row; you move up or down regardless of rating.

It would prevent the WULD seesaw (only happening once every 3 weeks) and we’d stop seeing gross mismatches.

Done and done.

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Campalishous.9076

Campalishous.9076

I definitely like the ramping idea, it is kind of ridiculous a T3 Keep = the same points as a T1.

But while we are throwing out ideas, what would be the drawback of a system where the PPT was normalized against Map Population?

Meaning if 1 server is running at full strength but the 2 opponents our out-manned then the PPT earned from that map are 1/3 of what it would be if it was fully contested.

This would let servers with lesser coverage focus on a single map & if they are competitive counteract their coverage disadvantage at least partially.

[DIS] Campa Lishous

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

I do like the idea of ramping up to encourage defending.

But I don’t see how ramping up would solve the problem of mismatched population hours (aka “night capping”) blowing up the score. A server who has a period of high pop when the others don’t is still going to get way more points because they are going to be able to upgrade to T3 without as much threat of it being taken.

And at times when the population across servers is more even it will be harder for those “low pop” servers to upgrade to T3, thus costing them points. It might cause an even greater disparity in points.

Edit. Moderator, this should not have been moved to the suggestions thread. This is a WvW discussion. No one is going to see it in its new location.

WvWvW night caping

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mathemagician.1836

Mathemagician.1836

An innovative idea, but flawed since they’d have fewer people spreading across more maps, the BL’s and EB would still be up for grabs; and it would offer even more PPT for night heavy servers.

I agree. When I was proposing something like this, I forgot to mention that it might mean splitting each borderland and EB into the two (three? four?) timegated maps. We absolutely don’t want to spread the population out any more than it is.

Hopf Bifurcation, Norn Mesmer, We Are Owl Exterminators [OWL], No Dice [DICE]
Fort Aspenwood