Black gate in tier 2, why?

in WvW

Posted by: Hitman.5829

Hitman.5829

It is very disappointing to face this week Tears of sorrow and bags of Denravi, I mean what chance do they stand against Beast gate?

Also, can someone explain why Black gate is in tier 2?

in WvW

Posted by: Chunky Milk.2130

Chunky Milk.2130

Well, BG decided to go back to EoTM when FA and JQ moved up and started pushing them to 3rd for a few weeks. Anet clearly saw that BG didn’t deserve T1 anymore if they wanted to try only when they were already winning, thus You guys are now in matchups you can Ktrain your brains out!

The BG community should be so happy now that they can blob everything and win again.

[Hide]/[DP]

in WvW

Posted by: Serkit.7836

Serkit.7836

From my very limited understanding of how Glicko works:

The range of possible rolls for BG’s rating used to determined matchup was pretty much Rating+-Deviation. AKA 1902.7759+-151.1782 or anything from 1750.8218 to 2053.9541. For HoD, 1622.6964 to 1919.3012. The range in which these two ranges intersect is 1750.8218 to 1919.3012. This means they both more or less rolled a number in this range.

Edit: The range might actually be Rating+-(Deviation/2) or Rating+-(Deviation*Volatility). I’m not very well versed in the ways of Glicko. Recalculations to follow.

Edit2: BG range 1902.7759+-75.5891 -> 1827.1868 to 1978.3650
HoD range 1770.9988+-74.1512 -> 1696.8476 to 1845.1500
Intersection 1827.1868 to 1845.1500

Attachments:

(edited by Serkit.7836)

in WvW

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bags of Denravi huh? Wasn’t that way earlier when we were bag farming you guys earlier

Oooh and the salt my 4 man group got when we kept beating a 7 man group in your home bl lol

But in all seriousness, I thought “Beast Gate” would be a super tough match up seeing where they are usually #1, however I was mistaken. I will say your havoc group/roamer guys are giving good fights. Had a fairly refreshing 1v1 one today and even made a friend / sparring partner.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in WvW

Posted by: Serkit.7836

Serkit.7836

A less clunky explanation of the possible BG matches:

Here’s a table of the possible rolls each server could have had in the current matchup, using the formula for rolls as Rating+-(Deviation*Volatility). Any roll highlighted as yellow in this table means the server making the roll can have the same exact roll as BG. One thing to consider is that the lowest server YB’s maximum roll is higher than the minimum roll of servers 4-11. If YB had a maximum roll and everything between YB and BG had a lower roll than YB, YB and BG could have been matched against eachother. The ones with higher rating than BG obviously also had a possibility of matching against BG. So, this means BG had the possibility of matching against any other NA server in the current matchup.

Edit:

I believe this answers the question “can someone explain why Black gate is in tier 2?”.

Attachments:

(edited by Serkit.7836)

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

The #1 reason any of the servers were in Tier 1 is population/coverage stacking. You will occasionally find a guild group that’s very skilled in fights and there are plenty of meta roaming groups, but the individual skill level isn’t much higher. There’s just more people total.

Not to dis BG or anything, but rather I want to encourage people not to just skip the week when fighting a former tier 1 server. They’re not invulnerable.

in WvW

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

The #1 reason any of the servers were in Tier 1 is population/coverage stacking. You will occasionally find a guild group that’s very skilled in fights and there are plenty of meta roaming groups, but the individual skill level isn’t much higher. There’s just more people total.

Not to dis BG or anything, but rather I want to encourage people not to just skip the week when fighting a former tier 1 server. They’re not invulnerable.

^ I had this attitude until I said f it…went in and saw/proved that they are not invincible

few guildies then followed me in and went havoc vs havoc and same outcome

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I went roaming with lolhammer rev on BG BL for reset night. Was kind of disappointed. Was expecting more players.

At OCX I didn’t see any BG except a few roamers in EBG and a few in their bl. I did see a sea of SoS though…

in WvW

Posted by: Natto.5819

Natto.5819

Maybe WvW is like PvP now. There isn’t enough population for competition, so matchmaking range now includes everyone in one pot. Server MMR is +/- 500 points too!

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Btw.: The formula for Matchrank (MR) is

MR(Server) = Glicko(Server) + runif([-1,+1]) * min((0.45*deviation + 10),100)

runif([-1,+1]) a uniform distributed random number between -1 and +1

https://www.guildwars2.com/de/news/wvw-matchup-variance-reduction/

As all servers roll, the table from Serkit.7836 has even more possibilities,
if a low ranked server roll up and a high ranked one rolls down a match between first and last is easy possible.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Moderator

Match-up threads are not permitted on the forums. Thank you!