Can We Have Another WvW Tournament?

in WvW

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Would make wvw exciting again, and would make winning at the end of the week mean something.

Would also be a great way to add skirmish tickets which many have been complaining about.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

Would make wvw exciting again, and would make winning at the end of the week mean something.

Would also be a great way to add skirmish tickets which many have been complaining about.

NO. Learn from PvP. The more you try to make a game mode “competitive”, the more it’s going to fail. WvW has already been down that road with the tournaments. Let’s not repeat history.

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

Don’t know why I have to keep digging this out of my archives.

From a red post in the thread Whens the next WvW tournament?

Our primary motivation for avoiding running another tournament, is that at the end of every tournament we saw a permanent dip in the number of players playing WvW. Presumably this was due to players burning themselves out during the tournament.

However, we can still run a poll to see if the majority of the community wants another 4 week tournament, even if it might be bad for the long term WvW population numbers. Though even if ‘running another tournament’ won the poll, we’d probably hold off until we get the scoring updates in.

Just curious, of all the reasons why anyone would want another WvW tournament, which one(s) are better then Tyler’s statement against having another tournament?

in WvW

Posted by: LePapaBoby.2457

LePapaBoby.2457

Maybe they can make monthly tournament like the new pvp tournament . like a 15 vs 15 or 20 vs 20 for guild

But another wvw tournament will be a mistake

in WvW

Posted by: Joshhh.2076

Joshhh.2076

…and would make winning at the end of the week mean something.

They’d need to balance populations properly for that to be viable. Plus, people would overstack particular servers/links for easy wins and rewards.

Gandaran.

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

…and would make winning at the end of the week mean something.

They’d need to balance populations properly for that to be viable. Plus, people would overstack particular servers/links for easy wins and rewards.

Player impopulation purely driven by players, not anet.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

Not a big fan of wvw tournaments because they seem to reward server stacking and anticompetitive practices. It would be one thing if each server had similar numbers and quality players/guilds but they don’t. People like to win and all the big guilds have gravitated to a handful of servers. Ranking #1 is fairly meaningless when 90% of your competition has no chance and a fraction of your strength.

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

I really enjoyed the tournaments. But WvW needs a lot of work before we can have another tournament. Mostly we need balances for all classes(if ever possible) and to wait for the PvE folks to go back the whence they came.

Once those things happen I am all for a tournament.

in WvW

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

BandwagonGate… err BlackGate has destroyed any chance of competition in WvW. And it’s all ANET’s fault for being incredibly blind to the obvious.

No point in doing tournaments as long as the devs keep screwing up and opening up Blackgate to transfers. Years of this stupidity has created a server that is lopsided with WvW only players.

ANET doesn’t know how to truly balance a game and continues to be used by the players who gamed the system into oblivion. ANET’s clueless choices have painted themselves into a corner where the only solution is to break up BandwagonGate.

WvW has no competitive scene anymore. And hasn’t for years.

in WvW

Posted by: cpchow.7416

cpchow.7416

I agree with you. We need another WvW Tournament. Anet should set a poll and let us vote for it. PVEs we need your support for morrrrrrrrre ticketsssssssssssss.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

BG and open server transfers make WvW tournaments a miserable experience for those that dislike playing on or against stacked servers.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

BandwagonGate… err BlackGate has destroyed any chance of competition in WvW. And it’s all ANET’s fault for being incredibly blind to the obvious.

No point in doing tournaments as long as the devs keep screwing up and opening up Blackgate to transfers. Years of this stupidity has created a server that is lopsided with WvW only players.

ANET doesn’t know how to truly balance a game and continues to be used by the players who gamed the system into oblivion. ANET’s clueless choices have painted themselves into a corner where the only solution is to break up BandwagonGate.

WvW has no competitive scene anymore. And hasn’t for years.

Honestly, i blame the community more than Anet for that. People want to win more than they want good competition. You could give the 2 best wvw guilds a choice.

1) You can be on different servers. You’ll be matched up and forced to play your best. Winning is not guaranteed, but the competition will be fun, balanced, and exciting. OR :
2) You can join forces and curb stomp pretty much every other server.

Chances are most guilds would pick option 2.

But that’s human nature. Look at the NBA and the superteams there. And I guarantee if the pvp season allowed teams of 5, you would have the top 5 ranked guys on one team.

in WvW

Posted by: CattivoUomo.7198

CattivoUomo.7198

Just forgo the tourney and give BG a trophy every 3 months. As others have said, they are too heavy in the wvw department, an issue also mentioned by others as being a player created situation. All true, but that doesn’t mean Anet is powerless to do anything about it. It’s their game after all. Is there an easy solution? Is there one that won’t tick some or many players off? Probably not. They’ve tried server linking, which may have helped a very small amount for some worlds to have players in wvw. Maybe the solution is a forced population rebalance of the larger wvw active population, but I’m sure that would tick players off. Maybe Anet has to offer some incentive for players in larger wvw populations to move off those worlds. Maybe the solution is to spread large wvw worlds between 2 or more matches each week. So instead of having the play on 4 maps, now they have 8 or 12 maps to cover. I don’t know, but one thing is for certain: players won’t rebalance themselves. In my opinion, it’s in Anet’s best interest to try something viable if they wish to keep wvw alive.

P.S. And to those people saying they want to keep PVErs out of WvW, I say this; please don’t be so arrogant as to realize that PVErs can become WvWrs if given the chance. I would rather play with and against a world of PVErs than to come into WvW and find it completely empty on either side, or worse, all sides.

(edited by CattivoUomo.7198)

in WvW

Posted by: Shazmataz.1423

Shazmataz.1423

No more tournaments please…I have heard commanders talking about the resulting burn-out from past tournys and we need commanders in game more than ever.

One of the current issues with wvw is the lack of commanders and pugmanders. Having a tournament would be detrimental to wvw long term.

in WvW

Posted by: VaaCrow.3076

VaaCrow.3076

nope, not interested in more tournaments till anet stop with linking and merge servers into 12 proper servers, while at the same time adjusting the transfering system to stop players stacking servers/taking advantage of the system.

[Rise] Madness Rises Guild Leader [Kei Shade-ranger]
May our BL break all foes. Fear our babou!
Gunnars Hold Represent! <3

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

No more tournaments please…I have heard commanders talking about the resulting burn-out from past tournys and we need commanders in game more than ever.

One of the current issues with wvw is the lack of commanders and pugmanders. Having a tournament would be detrimental to wvw long term.

This just sounds like people who can’t control themselves. Most of the commanders I talked with enjoyed the exciting zvz in the tournament.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

This just sounds like people who can’t control themselves. Most of the commanders I talked with enjoyed the exciting zvz in the tournament.

So you want anet to host wvw tournaments that feature terrible lag, poor profession balance, horrible condi system designs, unbalanced matchups even with linking… and take a huge risk with potentially losing players permanently due to frustration and burn out? …seems pretty logical right?

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

So you want anet to host wvw tournaments that feature terrible lag, poor profession balance, horrible condi system designs, unbalanced matchups even with linking… and take a huge risk with potentially losing players permanently due to frustration and burn out? …seems pretty logical right?

Will prob bring in new players let the ones who quit, quit.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: Leaa.2943

Leaa.2943

As much as i want tournament back in WvW but with more then just a few weeks in between to avoid the burnout that happen on the last one, i still think it will not be possible to make it happen until links are gone. It is not possible to have a fair tournament with links. So do the kitten merge already and we can finally get a more competitive WvW were servers really do fight against each other for honor and real prices.

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Or you could think things through more… Also, you skipped the dev quote swamurabi provided… should probably read that.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Posted by: Shazmataz.1423

Shazmataz.1423

Oh dear, you are really showing your lack of knowledge about wvw here.

I will slightly rephrase:
-Good commanders and good pugmanders are already in short supply.
-These are the guys who teach new players how to wvw.
-There are not nearly as many commanders in wvw now as there was back in the days of tournaments. This lack of good commanders is part of the issue with current wvw situation.
-They feel the pressure to tag for their guilds and servers cos if they don’t there will be no tag. If the pressure gets too much they burn out and leave. Not a matter of lack of self control but the feeling of obligation and pressure.

Another tournament is quite likely to burn out some of the remaining commanders currently in game. Detrimental to wvw and it’s future-for sure.

Not sure who you have been talking to but not many long time wvw-ers think that a tournament is a good idea (and I know quite a few). I think you have an eye on what you perceive as easy tickets from a tournament without appreciating how it will affect others and wvw.

in WvW

Swamurabi.7890

Or you could think things through more… Also, you skipped the dev quote swamurabi provided… should probably read that.

There is only one way I’d ever agree to have a new tournament.

It has to be a tournament where coverage/population isn’t the determining factor in who wins AND the WvW population should increase after the tournament.

Now if you all would like to discuss how you can do both than I’m all ears, but asking for a tournament because you want more tickets/rewards/finishers will get a no vote from me every time.

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Oh dear, you are really showing your lack of knowledge about wvw here.

I will slightly rephrase:
-Good commanders and good pugmanders are already in short supply.
-These are the guys who teach new players how to wvw.
-There are not nearly as many commanders in wvw now as there was back in the days of tournaments. This lack of good commanders is part of the issue with current wvw situation.
-They feel the pressure to tag for their guilds and servers cos if they don’t there will be no tag. If the pressure gets too much they burn out and leave. Not a matter of lack of self control but the feeling of obligation and pressure.

Another tournament is quite likely to burn out some of the remaining commanders currently in game. Detrimental to wvw and it’s future-for sure.

Not sure who you have been talking to but not many long time wvw-ers think that a tournament is a good idea (and I know quite a few). I think you have an eye on what you perceive as easy tickets from a tournament without appreciating how it will affect others and wvw.

Yah, only I don’t care about the mental health of psychologically obsessed commanders that can’t moderate their playtime due to their desire to win. The could just not play that much and be content with losing, and perhaps, that is the answer they should reflect on.

I don’t see why their inability to have some moderation in their lives then gets to directly affect the rest of the player base into not enjoying the excitement of another wvw tournament.

The number of people who command is far lower then the general population that would enjoy a wvw tournament, so yah again I don’t really care about commanders, since they are a very small population and you don’t need them to play wvw.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: Caliburn.1845

Caliburn.1845

It would be nice to have another tourny. And frankly the reasoning that we see a dip in WvW players after each tourny is bogus logic. If we were to hold to that logic we should not have another season of living story or PVP because after each one we see a noticeable dip in players in those events.

This is not to say they’re aren’t massive structural problems with WvW seasons, there are. We know who would win, servers would buy guilds, etc. That said, if you run seasons at set intervals you’d see surges in WvW participation during those seasons.

Caliburn.1845, Monsters Inc.
Darkhaven>Dragonbrand>Blackgate>Maguuma>Yaks Bend>Stormbluff Isle>Yaks Bend

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

While it would be interesting to see how linked servers would do in a tournament, I think if another one were to occur, some rules should apply. For instance, the current ticket acquisition (ie pipage) only activates if you’ve been on the world a match right? So, if tournaments provide extras tickets for 1st, 2nd and 3rd, then one should only gain them if they’ve fought on that world for atleast a whole match. That would prevent bandwagoning every week right there. They could even make the rules more strengent and award lump sum tickets at the end of the tournament, but you only get them if you were on the world for the entire tournament, so if the tournament is a month long and you were on that server before reset the first Friday the tourney started and stayed till the last day, you’re good, if not, too bad so sad.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

in WvW

Posted by: Blodeuyn.2751

Blodeuyn.2751

No. The other tournaments were so horrible for wvw. If for some reason Anet decides to do another, lock servers. No pips if you transfer, and no extra tickets. It seems the OP only wants more tickets and fails to understand why tournaments have been detrimental.

Blodeuyn Tylwyth
Quaggan OP [QOP], League of Extraordinary Siegers [LEXS]
Ehmry Bay

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Tournament is a bit boring when the winner is determined by ANet via full-status and server-linking.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

Tournament is a bit boring when the winner is determined by ANet via full-status and server-linking.

^^ this ^^

Here in EU the TOP #1 server usually always has a link. And if that server loses a link, then it is just a matter of that it is no longer #1. Transferring to a linked server is cheap, so the tournament would just lead to massive bandwagoning to the linked server for easy win. No thank you for such kind of “tournament”.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Translation: My server is top and I want rewards. Please gief.

For posterity, let it be remembered that Tournaments and tournament rewards were the first reason we had mass server migrations. The start of something that has plagued WvW ever since and the reason I was among those who asked for paid transfers.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

(edited by Svarty.8019)

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

And winners are decided even before a "tournament"starts on top of it. Not much competition right.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Doing a tournament with the Sh**** state of the game would be a huge mistake….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Our primary motivation for avoiding running another tournament, is that at the end of every tournament we saw a permanent dip in the number of players playing WvW. Presumably this was due to players burning themselves out during the tournament.

However, we can still run a poll to see if the majority of the community wants another 4 week tournament, even if it might be bad for the long term WvW population numbers. Though even if ‘running another tournament’ won the poll, we’d probably hold off until we get the scoring updates in.

Just curious, of all the reasons why anyone would want another WvW tournament, which one(s) are better then Tyler’s statement against having another tournament?

Answer: what motivates the OP? It’s not the health of WvW.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

WvW is boring, winning each week means nothing. Tournaments were fun. More rewards for wvw is good.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

WvW is boring, winning each week means nothing. Tournaments were fun. More rewards for wvw is good.

If WvW is boring, then maybe fix the game play? I highly doubt doing a tournament without fixes to the boring game play will make it anymore fun…

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

A tourney would not do a thing, WvW would still be boring, would be a zerg fest for the stacked servers only, and that would make WvW worse after the torenoy since alot of players would get burned out of WvW…just like it happened in the past.

WvW is boring cause ANet bad decisions not lack of tournaments…

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Swamurabi.7890

Tournaments are fun for the one server on top but not fun for the 5-7 that no matter what they do will never be the server on top, and that’s why the population dropped after every tournament.

Tell me your idea on how HoD, SoS or TC can be in a match against BG, JQ or Mag AND have a chance to win and those of us not on an overstacked server will listen to your “let’s have another tournament”

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Tournaments are fun for the one server on top but not fun for the 5-7 that no matter what they do will never be the server on top, and that’s why the population dropped after every tournament.

Tell me your idea on how HoD, SoS or TC can be in a match against BG, JQ or Mag AND have a chance to win and those of us not on an overstacked server will listen to your “let’s have another tournament”

They could make it so that depending on the imbalance in server to server population at any given moment, the amount of ppts you get for holding any structure or killing any player diminishes all the way to 0 depending on the population imbalance. Only when all populations are capped out at max on all maps do full points get rewarded to all sides for all activities.

So if BG has full population on all maps and stormbluff has 1/3 the population compared to BG then this causes a penalty to occur for BG capping structures owned by SBI and killing SBI players. So if a BG player kills a SBI player they only get 1/3rd the points as opposed to a SBI player killing a BG player whom would get full points.

The penalty should also take into account which server owns which building previously and in relation to the current population to that server. So for example if BG captures a keep owned by SBI, and SBI population is 1/3 that of BG’s then BG should only get 1/3 the points for holding that keep at the end of the PPT tick. So for example if BG captures a keep from SBI it should say (name of the keep) followed by Captured from (server name) = (example keep capture) Dreaming Bay (green tag which is BG) Captured from Stormbluff Island.

The penalty against BG’s captured structures should be diminished as the SBI population evens out in comparison to BG’s population. So if BG captured a keep from SBI and its now T3 and the SBI population is 1/3rd that of BG’s then BG should only get 1/3rd the points for holding that keep. If SBI population then goes to full then BG should get full points retroactively from the same keep, scaling as the population of SBI increases.

This is just one idea of many, you could do tons of things like just put all player on teams red, blue, green at the beginning of the tournament and get rid of servers for the tournament. Assign players to those colors based on their total WVW rank and even out all players based on rank split between the different colors. Yah it would split up wvw guilds and server cohesion but so what it would be a more fair match up. Again more ideas, i dont see anyone else suggesting anything. and you asked for suggestions so there u go.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

NO. Learn from PvP. The more you try to make a game mode “competitive”, the more it’s going to fail. WvW has already been down that road with the tournaments. Let’s not repeat history.

PvP still has tournaments… so I am not sure what you’re supposition could be.

Tournaments and unlinking the servers is a necessity.

Every single real WvW’er misses the tournaments as a way to shine in the darkness – literally.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in WvW

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

ANet has said several time that they have no interest in setting up another WvW tournament. It’s a huge amount of work for them and their data strongly suggests that it burns people out of WvW more quickly.

It’s really hard to set up fair fights; there’s almost always 1-2 worlds that dominate everyone else for gold rewards, which frustrates everyone else. (And about the one time that didn’t happen, when two servers ganged up on the dominating world, there were lots of bad feelings all around, not only on the dominating server, but also from those in the gang of two… and tons of folks from those in the same tier, but not on any of the three.)

There are lots of other ways that ANet could offer us more skirmish tickets without resorting to tourneys. It’s a great idea, nearly impossible to execute well.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”