I want to bring attention to something in WvW that I think is incorrect game design.
The way I see games (in general) offering advantages to players for winning something.
In old school car racing games when you were losing the race your car would go faster to allow you catch up to the winner.
As you got closer to the winner this speed advantage would dissipate.
This “catchup mechanic” would keep the game fun because it would be close racing throughout the matchup.
In later games the catchup mechanic was swapped so the winning driver would be rewarded for their effort (a neutral advantage mechanic).
However, the way WvW is structured right now, the winning car goes faster when they’re winning (a “cascade” mechanic) which allows them to make the race a complete blowout.
In my humble opinion is plain wrong in terms of game design and game mechanics.
The way I see it various mechanics exist in WvW that are cascade mechanics:
- Gives full control to the centre of the map – in a hub+spoke map design the owner of the hub has great advantage
- Especially difficult to take when T3 upgraded
- Unreachable trebuchet means you must breach inner and reach top floor – trebuchet can then by rebuilt in seconds once the blob has cleared your players out.
- Relative safety for dominating server’s pugs running back to their pin
- Constantly keeps losing server’s towers as paper towers (WC/ANZ/Durios/QL/OW/Klovan)
- Improved response times and scouting for the dominating server
Changes suggested – stop massive siege advantage and weaken SMCs defences.
- Block all siege deployment on the third floor of SMC
- Block siege deployment on supply huts or move them so trebs can’t hit towers
- SMC can only upgrade to Reinforced gates/walls never Fortified
- No waypoint for SMC
- No tactivators for SMC (especially airship bombs and chilling fog)
- Good for low population server to have
- Bad for high population server to have
- Regularly dominated by high population server due to having more people free to capture it
Change suggested – allow weaker serves to use the stat boost but deny stronger servers
- Can only be active for 2nd or 3rd place server
- If 1st place owns bloodlust they don’t get any stat boost, they only deny server 2 and 3 from having a stat boost
- Allows large servers time to blob respond – often EWP and Invulnerable wall is the difference between taking an objective and not taking it.
- Allows large servers to do higher DPS when they’re already dominating – Dragon/Centaur banner
Change suggested – allow weaker servers to use the advantage but deny stronger servers
- Disable tactivators for the first place server
The “orb” used to be a cascade mechanic but was rightly disabled due to offering the dominant server an advantage.
I think the other cascade mechanics should also be removed (like orb was) which would help keep everything a bit closer and more interesting.
I expect a huge resistance to these ideas from players on servers that dominate each week so let me have it.
I probably haven’t articulated my point that well or covered every aspect fully and in perfect detail but please look at the “overall” concept rather than nitpick on detail.
(edited by dzeRnumbrd.6129)