Give Alphine Borderlands back to lower Bronze

in WvW

Posted by: Tzozef.9841

Tzozef.9841

Yea…THIS ^

Simply for the survival of smaller servers, (kaineng, Eredon Terrace, and Devona’s Rest) For example.

ET is barren, any server match up against it is a free map to cap.

If you aren’t gonna merge servers like ET with another, you gotta give those lower Bronze Tier at least Alphine back. Desert is just incapable.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Why does bronze get to have all the fun? Give it back to everyone.

in WvW

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

Yeah, I just transferred out of ET, it was pretty bad. Conceptually I do like the new desert borderlands, but they are too big (no one is there), even on my new server (Maguuma). I think the problem is that there are three of them. I think a map this size is fine for EB, but not for borderlands.

What would everyone think if borderlands were reverted to alpine but EB became some modification of the new desert map?

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Or just reduce from 3 borderlands to 1.

Heck for T8 we probably can’t fill a single map...

This system will not work as long as it doesn’t adapt itself to the players and number of players. The WvW system is to rigid, it needs to adjust itself dynamically to numbers/players.

4 Maps is just overkill for the lower tiers, I don’t think any server in T8 right now could max more than 40 players each during reset, we’re not even half-way to a queue on a single map. All that means is that whoever leads gets to own 4 maps.

Honestly it doesn’t even matter if it is Desert or Alpine maps, there is still 5-40 players from each server trying to control 4 maps.

* Remove the HOME borderland system
* Run single map for Borderland
* Rotate Alpine back in (when it’s ready and updated again)
* Run EBG +BL map
* Use the EotM system to make more instances of maps as needed

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

fluidmonolith.3584

Heck for T8 we probably can’t fill a single map…

This system will not work as long as it doesn’t adapt itself to the players and number of players. The WvW system is to rigid, it needs to adjust itself dynamically to numbers/players.

4 Maps is just overkill for the lower tiers, I don’t think any server in T8 right now could max more than 40 players each during reset, we’re not even half-way to a queue on a single map. All that means is that whoever leads gets to own 4 maps.

Honestly it doesn’t even matter if it is Desert or Alpine maps, there is still 5-40 players from each server trying to control 4 maps.

• Remove the HOME borderland system
  • Run single map for Borderland
  • Rotate Alpine back in (when it’s ready and updated again)
  • Run EBG +BL map
  • Use the EotM system to make more instances of maps as needed

Yeah, that is probably a better idea.

My question would be, what is the thematic difference between the EBG and the new single BL map? Does there need to be one? Currently, EBG is relatively symmetrical, whereas BL is designed to be best for the home server. Do we want two symmetrical maps instead of one home map per server plus one symmetrical map?

I’d also have to ask if people want to go down from 4 maps to 2. In my experience in low and mid tiers, this is great. But at T1, decreasing the map count from 4 to 2 would essentially cut the maximum WvW poplulation limit in half and possibly increase queues. But does T1 currently experience long queue times? Someone who plays on T1 would be better able to answer this.

Maguuma

in WvW

joneirikb.7506

I don’t think the small differences in balance from start positions in the BL is that significant, some are going to argue, but I think as long as Red get the most advantageous positions and green the weakest (SW), it should work fine. The main difference is that Red gets one more tower by "default", and easier to upgrade their keep. The other servers have to over-extend a bit more to take the lead.

Well that is why I said that they should use the EOTM/MegaServer system of generating additional instances. So the servers can spawn more copies of both EBG and the BL as needed. If EBG is queue’d, spawn a new copy. If there isn’t enough people over 2 EBG’s till make a queue on a single EBG shut one down, give players a 5 min warning how unstable the mists are etc and then force them back to the main EBG.

Besides, from one of the other threads where they compared queue’s, I don’t think any of the top tiers has an queue’s or even much activity in the BL’s as is. It would also be a good test, if T1 had 3 extra copies of EBG for a total of 4 EBG’s and not even a Queue on the Desert BL they would have spoken quite clearly about their preference.

PS: Always sad to see people transfer off ET, always liked that server.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Actually, this might be a good idea for repopulating the lower tiers. It gives players great incentive to transfer in order to get back the old BLs.

in WvW

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

Why punish those of us on higher pop servers by making us play the new maps?

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Actually, this might be a good idea for repopulating the lower tiers. It gives players great incentive to transfer in order to get back the old BLs.

That’s what I was thinking. People will transfer and then rig the matches to make sure none of the servers gains enough glicko to move up lol.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Babytater.6803

Babytater.6803

Rest In Peace Eredon Terrace…

in WvW

Posted by: erKo.9586

erKo.9586

I want the old maps back on my server aswell!

[WvW] Thanks Anet for listening to your players during 2016.
Far Shiverpeaks – EU – Since release.

in WvW

fluidmonolith.3584

Rest In Peace Eredon Terrace…

Yeah, I did like ET. I wasn’t there from the beginning, but I was there for well over a year. The WvW group was small but committed. On my new server, if I announce crossed swords over our keep and say “what’s going on at keep”? I get a silly response inappropriately referencing my mother…

On the other hand, there are actually people in WvW on my new server, so that’s a plus. I waited a while before transferring, hoping the population would get bigger on ET, but it really has only gotten worse.

Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Why give the alpine e map back?

So we can get more threads complaining about how folks cannot upgrade keeps due to supply trolls? Because that was a spammed forums complaint before. Now it has mutated to the same posters complaining about auto upgrades.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in WvW

Posted by: NiloyBardhan.9170

NiloyBardhan.9170

So we can get more threads complaining about how folks cannot upgrade keeps due to supply trolls? Because that was a spammed forums complaint before. Now it has mutated to the same posters complaining about auto upgrades.

What OP prolly means is that giving alpine BL back with the automatic upgrade system (not without it) and I fully agree with him except for the fact that it should be done in higher tiers as well.

14 80s – Niloy Bardhan (warr) ¦ Cute Asura Niloy (guard) ¦ Madhumita Bardhan (ele)
“Owner of the rarest items in Tyria” Legendary collector 8/5 – 300% base MF
Yak’s Bend website – yaks-bend.enjin.com (temporary) #YakForever #YB4LYFE

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

id moove to t8 for the old borderland maps and mechanics…

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

coglin.1867

What OP prolly means is that giving alpine BL back with the automatic upgrade system (not without it) and I fully agree with him except for the fact that it should be done in higher tiers as well.

Okay, but why? Unless they have some actual reasons to offer, it is simply a point t less demand, in my opinion.

The new maps take just as long to traverse. They limit se ure trebing from behind the safety of walls, thus creating more open field fights. The event in the middle draws all 3 sides to try to complete it first, to keep the other side from getting g, creating great 3 way battles.

I have had a great many more open field and 3 way battles this week, due to those map features, then I did in the last 3 months of the old BLs.

in WvW

Posted by: NiloyBardhan.9170

NiloyBardhan.9170

Okay, but why? Unless they have some actual reasons to offer, it is simply a point t less demand, in my opinion.

The new maps take just as long to traverse. They limit se ure trebing from behind the safety of walls, thus creating more open field fights. The event in the middle draws all 3 sides to try to complete it first, to keep the other side from getting g, creating great 3 way battles.

I have had a great many more open field and 3 way battles this week, due to those map features, then I did in the last 3 months of the old BLs.

In my opinion (which is also shared by most ppl I know of) the maps are way too big for consistent action to take place. Add to that different layers and gimmicks added to it and it looks more PvE oriented. Whether its pointless or not that is upto Anet’s call to decide what they’re gonna do with it. From this forum (and a couple of recent reddit threads) its quite clear that majority aren’t happy with the new maps including me.

14 80s – Niloy Bardhan (warr) ¦ Cute Asura Niloy (guard) ¦ Madhumita Bardhan (ele)
“Owner of the rarest items in Tyria” Legendary collector 8/5 – 300% base MF
Yak’s Bend website – yaks-bend.enjin.com (temporary) #YakForever #YB4LYFE

(edited by NiloyBardhan.9170)

in WvW

coglin.1867

How are they too big? Multiple discussions have already point Ted out that they are the same siz to the point that they take equivalent time to traverse. This has been established by video comparison of traversal times.

What “gimmicks” are you refering to? The term “gimmick” doesn’t tell anyone what your taking umbridge with.

if your refering to the oisis event, I ha e found d that the desire to prevent one of the other two servers from getting the benefits of it, has created some great three way battles for us in the last couple of days of play.

(edited by coglin.1867)

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Yea…THIS ^

Simply for the survival of smaller servers, (kaineng, Eredon Terrace, and Devona’s Rest) For example.

If you aren’t gonna merge servers like ET with another, you gotta give those lower Bronze Tier at least Alphine back. Desert is just incapable.

No, I want them back too and I am in T1.

Our Alpine maps are what make WvW so amazing, not the dry, nasty, no WP, totally automated mess they call WvW.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in WvW

Posted by: Nubu.6148

Nubu.6148

Close bronze and transfer the player to the upper ones . Problem solved .

Nubú -Engie -Asura-
BNF-Bitte nicht füttern-
Smallscale <3 !

in WvW

joneirikb.7506

Our Alpine maps are what make WvW so amazing, not the dry, nasty, no WP, totally automated mess they call WvW.

You do realize that if ANet brought back the old Alpine BL, it would still use the AutoUpgrade, and follow the new maps WP system ? Those are changes they made to WvW as a whole, and not just to single map.

So would Alpine + AutoUpgrade + WP changes still be fun for you ?

Close bronze and transfer the player to the upper ones . Problem solved .

<sarcasme> A much better solution is to close all the top tier servers, and have them spread out through bronze! </sarcasme>

Sorry, but that is still a stupid suggestion. And this whole “do it to them, and not to me!” attitude is just bad.

in WvW

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I’d drop T2 like hot rock and move to any lower server for that.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

in WvW

coglin.1867

Yea…THIS ^

Yet there were threads almost daily, demanding new maps, some of which had thousands of post support the demand for new maps, changes to the upgrade system, and changes to the supply system to counter supply trolls.

in WvW

Posted by: Shokunin.3675

Shokunin.3675

i dont mind the new maps physically, but that upgrade system is a pita. especially if youre a roamer or even a small havoc group.. with the fast/auto upgrading towers and keeps, guard patrols and walls, the ammount of effort to take a tower and a keep with a small party takes soo much time and effort that its not even fun and worth it anymore.. the only times in in wvw now is for my guild’s weekly wvw missions or if i manage to form a full party of guildies. everything else is just too tedious to spend time on now..

Taiyo Fu
Devonas Rest -NA – www.DevonasRest.net – Admin
The Steel Ministry [SM] – Leader & Commander

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Yea…THIS ^

Yet there were threads almost daily, demanding new maps, some of which had thousands of post support the demand for new maps, changes to the upgrade system, and changes to the supply system to counter supply trolls.

If someone complained that their foot hurt because they had a broken toe would you advise them to cut their leg off at the knee and get a prosthetic?

LGN

in WvW

Posted by: AmberUK.5380

AmberUK.5380

• Run EBG +BL map

Defiantly some kinda rotating in maps would be great because if alpine would be back I bet people would move down to play in them. I also dont get why all the maps are the same again, why could one not have been snowy and one all green or something even if the layout was the same?

Some people want to be on lower pop servers and this would allow flexibility plus some times of year the pop is lower and the maps dont take that into consideration but megaservers do for the pve lot.

We Asura are just the best
UW WvW player – TooT !

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.5389

Phantom.5389

List of changes that I like

(1) The new sentry detection system is great. It mades sentry more useful and allows players to not lose time going where the ennemy is not (it goes well with point 2). This new sentry was also suposed to kill yaks and get people to go flip the sentries… sadly… yaks are useless so on that part it failed to hit the mark.

(2) The map calls when a structure is taken by X server is also great. It might only be a solo roamer, but it will still improve the information network. This combined with a sentry that scouted a group of players earlier allows you to walk directly to where you think the group will be in the next few seconds.

(3) I like the fact that lord HP scales up with the number of players. It gives people a better response time to gather enough folks to get a good fight instead of getting structures flipped without a good brawl in the lord room.

Here is a list of things that needs a little tweak before being things that I would like.

(1) Auto upgrades seems awesome on paper… But I think simply making it so upgrades are forced to be in a specific order would of solved the troll problem. Make it so yaks count! Yaks are useless now. Also, waypoint on T0 keep makes WvW lose its touch. I remember when we did map calls on every map to get our people to defend our T3 keep with a waypoint. Those were fun fights in the lord room. Now? Keep flips and it doesn’t matter since we will grab it back while gaining access to the only upgrade which truly did matters as a welcome gift. Also, removing Bay and Hills waypoint on the new map just bring less fights (less incentive to actually go defend it since it will never get a waypoint).

(2) The new event in the Desert bordeland map. This event seems great and all. But I still think that a big area with a cap point could of been a better choice than to kill those PVE monsters. Imagine a large cap where there is a timer ticking down for every second your server control the point. I feel like it would be more appropriate for a players vs players environnement. King of the hills kind of tournament would of been amazing I think. Atleast the event as it is is not so fun, it’s just that those Dinos don’t really belong to WvW if you ask me (my opinion, sorry if some people love those Dinos XD). A king of the hill tournament could of been one big platform or up to 3 big platform where each platform control gives you -1 second on the total timer. Once it reachs 0 the canon is yours.

Things that I truly do not like

(1) The non players automated things in the Desert borderland map. I’m talking about those slow turrets, those flame turrets, those winds turrets and those earth walls. They are annoying more than anything. As to replace those things, I would simply take them off and get the blessing of the element when near that area (no more need to actually go and click the shrine to get the move speed boost). I would also take back the combat boost that those elemental buffs gives, environement should not give such a potent stats boost which vary depending on the region you are playing on (same with the imune to burning in fire keep). Also, invisible zergs is simply a bad concept, but I got no idea how to replace that buff without imbalacing the fights (need help finding a solution so I can edit that part later on) .Finally, since earth keep have 2 automated things, (turrets and walls). I would simply give them a detector (like a sentry would if it spotted an ennemy) all over the keep so it can detect any hiding ennemies inside that keep and in the close periphery of that keep.

(2) Fortified gate… Those are new and they are slow to take down. Also guild catapults got nerfed to the ground so breaking a fortified wall takes an army or will simply take forever if you are a roaming squad. But gate is now also fortified… So it just means more time raming or catapulting those objectives…which in the end me and my roaming friends just leave them be since it’s too much of a chore.

(3) The pathing of the map seems to be worse than what Alpine borderland offered. Zigzaging and going up and down makes the map that is slightly larger to feel like walking from point A to point B to take much more time than what it used to be on Alpine borderland. Or atleast it feels less straightfoward and more about dodging the ennemy than to engage them. Those keeps are just so vast with so many pathway. Keeping it simple is not always a bad thing.

(4) Reset on saturday morning… Bring back friday night reset. This night was crazy, even more than saturday night reset. Get back from work, install yourself and play with your friends on a friday night was amazing.
———————————————————————————————————
Basically, I think a tweaked Alpine would be better. Alpine had its flaws, but people still loved that map after 3 years (sure they asked some fix there and there, but a total revamp of the map doesn’t seem to get us to a better place, fixed some problems only to make new ones arise).

(edited by Phantom.5389)

in WvW

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Sure you would.. You guys realize that even up in t6 the bl’s were mostly empty until prime time if that or reset night. Only time we went there was when we wiped groups in EBG and they decided to go to our empty BL to try to take something.

Only time we actually went to an enemies BL was when they ninja’ed something in our bl so to get them back we did the same thing.. :P

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Sure you would.. You guys realize that even up in t6 the bl’s were mostly empty until prime time if that or reset night. Only time we went there was when we wiped groups in EBG and they decided to go to our empty BL to try to take something.

Only time we actually went to an enemies BL was when they ninja’ed something in our bl so to get them back we did the same thing.. :P

I spent 90% of my play time in the alpine bl. There was always roaming fights, and there was often huge fights over wp’ed keeps that could go on for hours.

LGN

in WvW

briggah.7910

I spent 90% of my play time in the alpine bl. There was always roaming fights, and there was often huge fights over wp’ed keeps that could go on for hours.

Depends on when you play. Outside of prime time they were dead. I solo roamed bls for hours without seeing a single person. I got tired of taking camps with no one to stop me so I built trebs for keeps. That’s when people showed up.. Thing is though when people show up they leave other maps. Haven’t had a couple hour fights over anything in over a year.. Them days are long gone

Player Vs Everyone

(edited by briggah.7910)

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Depends on when you play.. I solo roamed bls for hours without seeing a single person. I got tired of taking camps with no one to stop me so I built trebs for keeps. That’s when people showed up.. Thing is though when people show up they leave other maps. Haven’t had a couple hour fights over anything in over a year.. Them days are long gone

I had one the week before HoT dropped, we even had a few 3 way fights that week over bl keeps.

Also, the prep work I would do on keeps would give me small scale fights for hours.

LGN

in WvW

briggah.7910

Depends on when you play.. I solo roamed bls for hours without seeing a single person. I got tired of taking camps with no one to stop me so I built trebs for keeps. That’s when people showed up.. Thing is though when people show up they leave other maps. Haven’t had a couple hour fights over anything in over a year.. Them days are long gone

I had one the week before HoT dropped, we even had a few 3 way fights that week over bl keeps.

Also, the prep work I would do on keeps would give me small scale fights for hours.

Yea, gotta agree I used to do lots of upgrading and that is where a lot of my fights came from. Just seemed to me when the release date for HoT came out people took breaks and never came back.

Player Vs Everyone

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Yea, gotta agree I used to do lots of upgrading and that is where a lot of my fights came from. Just seemed to me when the release date for HoT came out people took breaks and never came back.

A lot of them came back and hated what HoT did to WvW and left again.

LGN

in WvW

joneirikb.7506

@Amber

The beauty of the system, is that you could use it for all tiers, it would just adjust itself to the number of players online at that point. Create and destroy new map instances as needed, down to a minimum of X, depending on what the server is set to.

Example 1 for EBG only, 2 for EBG + RNG BL each week, or 3 for EBG+Alpine+Desert as base. You could even set different ones for different tiers if you wanted, 3 for gold, 2 for silver and 1 for bronze etc.

They are probably going to change how PPT works sometime during the next year, but you could also adjust PPT on the number of maps, or over an average of all maps, depending on how you want it to work.

@Jim & briggah

My experience so far is that the new BL’s are pretty quiet. I *should* note that I’ve spent half my WvW time after HoT in T8, but still. It’s usually a bad sign when I log on and find my guild running around in EBG, we used to be a 95% BL map guild.

I’m still determined to learn the map though, still don’t hate it. But boy do I wish they gave us Alpine + Desert instead of 3x single map.

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Why does bronze get to have all the fun? Give it back to everyone.

Exactly. Give us back alpine

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

• Run EBG +BL map

Having one borderland would be tricky to manage (who gets the citadel? Or is it cappable, so the map would be a bit like a mini-EBG?); it might be a beneficial idea to expand EBG to include lanes based on (or cut and pasted from) the borderland maps behind each starting area, though – and then for Anet to increase server population capacity in EBG. (A bit like a 3-armed boomerang.)

Attachments:

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

in WvW

joneirikb.7506

• Run EBG +BL map

Having one borderland would be tricky to manage (who gets the citadel? Or is it cappable, so the map would be a bit like a mini-EBG?); it might be a beneficial idea to expand EBG to include lanes based on (or cut and pasted from) the borderland maps behind each starting area, though – and then for Anet to increase server population capacity in EBG. (A bit like a 3-armed boomerang.)

Honestly, I think giving red Citadels would work fine (in most cases). Red is “usually” the weaker server in a match-up, so a slight map-based handicap (not fight-based) isn’t bad.

But the Alpine map would have to get the “services” (all the stuff in the Citadel) equalized, either removed or added to the south spawns as well.

But if they wanted to add some work to the map, then putting Citadel as a “Castle” does sound fun, but it is placed in a pretty weird spot for that. It would have made more sense to have a “Castle” somewhere in the ruins, but that would be way too much work on the map to be expected.

PS: You don’t want to expand EBG, most people complain enough about the lag as-is with 3 way battles in SMC. There are some pretty bad consequences that can happen if you start messing more with adding to map sizes and user limits. I think you would be much better off with just spawning a new copy of EBG, instead of increasing the limit to 200 per side.

in WvW

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

• Run EBG +BL map

Honestly, I think giving red Citadels would work fine (in most cases). Red is “usually” the weaker server in a match-up, so a slight map-based handicap (not fight-based) isn’t bad.

But the Alpine map would have to get the “services” (all the stuff in the Citadel) equalized, either removed or added to the south spawns as well.

But if they wanted to add some work to the map, then putting Citadel as a “Castle” does sound fun, but it is placed in a pretty weird spot for that. It would have made more sense to have a “Castle” somewhere in the ruins, but that would be way too much work on the map to be expected.

PS: You don’t want to expand EBG, most people complain enough about the lag as-is with 3 way battles in SMC. There are some pretty bad consequences that can happen if you start messing more with adding to map sizes and user limits. I think you would be much better off with just spawning a new copy of EBG, instead of increasing the limit to 200 per side.

Hmm, yeah, I see what you mean. I wouldn’t vote for a copy of EBG, though…

Curious, though, because Elder Scrolls Online handles the megaserver WvW quite well. I’ve encountered little lag in Guild Wars 2, but surely they could improve servers if they were consolidating onto one map?

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian