Glider poll for players here since launch

in WvW

Posted by: Brutal Augus.5917

Brutal Augus.5917

Over the past couple of days we have had alot of posts on these WvW forums making claims like “all veteran WvW’ers hate gliding” and “my whole friends list quit game over this”. In the interest of giving ourselves an actual idea of how the experienced WvW population feels about this, I have made a straw poll. I realize that not everyone will listen to me and there is no way to restrict who does or does not vote but I would like to ask those who haven’t been here since launch not to vote in this poll. I am making this straw poll with the intention of polling those players who have stuck with the game mode for the years we have had it available for the specific purpose of testing the claims mentioned at the beginning of the post.

Here is the poll:

https://strawpoll.com/dkk6fey5

Lets try to keep the conversation constructive

[varX] Limitless Potential

(edited by Brutal Augus.5917)

in WvW

Posted by: zhonnika.1784

zhonnika.1784

The hell? Who are these people, because I haven’t run into any of them. Gliding is as it should be, a shortcut to get you from point A to point B. That’s it. People are all acting like gliding stole your girlfriend, and kicked you in the kittens…. get a grip.

Kashmara – Elementalist | Reapermara – Necromancer
Jade Quarry
Onslaught [OnS]

in WvW

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

It needs work, disable gliding while in combat would be a step in the right direction.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

They need to disable gliding until they can figure out how to setup zones in a way that doesn’t require huge ugly piles of rocks as band-aids.

They have the info they needed, now they just need to go and polish it up for a re-release.

in WvW

Posted by: kingcragus.6810

kingcragus.6810

The entitlement is strong in this one.

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

After giving it a few tries I am still neutral. I’m still adamant that you shouldn’t be able to re-open your glider if you get into combat. Some places on the map could do with tweaking and/or adding barriers so as not to encourage enemies cheating the system as we’ve witnessed in-game by gliding into territories they normally shouldn’t have been able to.

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

It’s great and should stay as is. All they need to do is polish some terrain tweaks.
And, gliding in combat should absolutely be a thing.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Terrier.8732

Terrier.8732

Gliding in wvw is an excellent improvement. It changes mobility, makes it more efficient and.. it’s fun.. cos.. you know.. we are playing a game! I also like gliding in combat.. you can be shot out of the sky, you can’t use your own skills when gliding.. where is the problem?

You can get to many camps faster to defend if attacked.. thus increases the chance of an actual skirmish occurring.

Yes, some tweaks need to be made, but overall, gliding has increased enjoyment of wvw. We’ve had many laughs and lots of fun.

~ Very long term and consistent wvw player and wvw guild leader. (My guildies all love it too!)

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’s kinda dumb….

I like it though especially on DD lol.

Fortunately a number of the exploits seem fairly triival to fix, mostly about moving stuff some pixels higher or forwarded. We really need those auto AA guns to stop would be exploiters.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: Azel.4786

Azel.4786

It was a good addition.

Sure it needs tweaks – gliding and bypassing walls being the most crucial one, but it is fun, offers new ways to explore the map and the success of it from the perspective of the player base (most people I see in WvW like it) means that mounts may also be a good thing.

It should get some fixes, but overall a nice move by ANET.

in WvW

Brutal Augus.5917

The entitlement is strong in this one.

how so? Please elaborate.

in WvW

Brutal Augus.5917

So far the poll results are as I expected them to be. Obviously doesn’t represent all veteran players as a whole and can only be considered valuable feedback to a small degree, but is more or less what I expected. The ones demanding gliding be removed completely seem to be the minority so far. Thanks to all that answered the poll.

My personal opinion was that it could use some work but is a nice addition to the game mode. I also look forward to seeing what else they will do with the territories system. For me this opens up a new range of interesting possibilities to speculate on.

(edited by Brutal Augus.5917)

in WvW

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

What kind of interesting possibilities? Genuinely curious

in WvW

Posted by: MasterMc.7543

MasterMc.7543

Needs some work, but should stay. I don’t understand all the people complaining, it doesn’t change anything in any major way. if anything it just allows people to get to fights faster, which is the whole point to WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Celsith.2753

Celsith.2753

I’m ok with people taking flight in combat but i’m not ok with not being able to cc them. Stuns, fear, etc should make you drop your glider.

Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Thundercat Snarf – Thief

in WvW

DemonSeed.3528

The complaints are rather from genuine concerns. I wouldn’t call what’s happening to Ogrewatch not major for instance. Over time as the fanfare for gliding recedes, perhaps then we’ll begin to see more of the impacts. Territories, gliding in combat, attacking while gliding, etc all have to be thought out carefully and it seems that more work is piling up for them to deal with. With the expac coming up there is going to be more balances (or should be), bugs, and more things for them to focus on. I think Anet has their plate pretty full atm so hopefully they’ll resolve things by the time the expac comes out.

in WvW

Posted by: MiniMe.1960

MiniMe.1960

can you please tell me who is a veteran in that poll?

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

It seems good maybe a bit less time to react to the warming of you cant fly here so ppl cant glide where they should not be able to.

The in combat out of combat will add to much confusion to things. As things stand ppl hate that combat makes you move slower by adding a lock to gliding too would realty take a lot of fun out of it. If you chose to try to banish ppl off of somthing they own that is your chose and you should be awhere of what going to happen. Not to say that the “cc” effect of the banish should not be breakable for its stander duration and ranged but due to the lack of being able to use skill when in the air you realy are giving up a lot to glide when you could be doing a skill to go some other way to get where you want to / need to.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: Keviin Snow.5760

Keviin Snow.5760

The hell? Who are these people, because I haven’t run into any of them. Gliding is as it should be, a shortcut to get you from point A to point B. That’s it. People are all acting like gliding stole your girlfriend, and kicked you in the kittens…. get a grip.

a way to cheat , u can glide into tower , if you are fighting they can glade away into a tower

in WvW

Keviin Snow.5760

Gliding in wvw is an excellent improvement. It changes mobility, makes it more efficient and.. it’s fun.. cos.. you know.. we are playing a game! I also like gliding in combat.. you can be shot out of the sky, you can’t use your own skills when gliding.. where is the problem?

You can get to many camps faster to defend if attacked.. thus increases the chance of an actual skirmish occurring.

Yes, some tweaks need to be made, but overall, gliding has increased enjoyment of wvw. We’ve had many laughs and lots of fun.

~ Very long term and consistent wvw player and wvw guild leader. (My guildies all love it too!)

how do you get shot outta the sky ? i was flying from my keep down , they could NOT touch me , r u using auto aim ? it will not be fun if other server can just glide into your tower

in WvW

Keviin Snow.5760

maybe for new player in wvw would like it , but ppl been playing wvw for years hate it
ppl can glide away while losing a fight , glide into a tower , and i HOPE they dont put mount in wvw , that would mean all they have to do is jump over the wall

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

I cast a vote on “It could be made to work, but I would rather the devs scrap the whole thing and work on other things.”

In fact I am indifferent about gliding being part of WvW, assuming all the issues is has gets fixed. Waste of resources from my point of view, but PvE players seem to enjoy it. Maybe it makes WvW a little easier to access for them.

“work on other things” could mean three things. Maybe you could be more clear in the wording.

1. go back to making scripted encounters and other boring stuff for PvE
  2. deployable cannons, golem rush event, living story invasion, grind for skins, not-quite-pve-level items as rewards, pve movement options to work around the DBL vertical design…
  3. fix server lag, bring back competiveness, rebalance world populations, end world linking, separate profession balancing from pve

Unfortunately the WvW development has been following the first and second options (Scoring and Stability changes aside). Seems like the devs ran away from the problems into their comfort zone of making PvE features. WvW development lacks vision and leadership. Unless the vision is to turn WvW into PvE.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

It’s a nice first step. But of course it could be made even better, till we finally have air and land battles.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

DemonSeed.3528

It’s a nice first step. But of course it could be made even better, till we finally have air and land battles.

I’m still waiting for underwater battles, we need submarines. All jokes aside, where are the exciting water battles? Underwater skills and weapons need a look at. Also give us an underwater map.

in WvW

Dayra.7405

I’m still waiting for underwater battles, we need submarines. All jokes aside, where are the exciting water battles? Underwater skills and weapons need a look at. Also give us an underwater map.

In fact, the alpine border lands had once a very large lake where today the ruins are. And yeah, I remember large underwater battles in this lake. I also remember very nice underwater battles on one of the first PvP maps.

But there is also a diffeence: a battle is either land or water, but it can be both land and air.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

maybe for new player in wvw would like it , but ppl been playing wvw for years hate it
ppl can glide away while losing a fight , glide into a tower , and i HOPE they dont put mount in wvw , that would mean all they have to do is jump over the wall

again unsupported claim for generalisation – I love it and I’d bet my money that my first entry to the mists predates your by a solid margin

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

(edited by Lord Trejgon.2809)

in WvW

Dayra.7405

a way to cheat , u can glide into tower , if you are fighting they can glade away into a tower

Away from the fact that it is not easy to glide out of a fight, especially up into a tower
it doesn’t really make a difference, if you

• glide
  • stealth
  • Mist Form

• into a tower.

in WvW

Posted by: Amawyn.1925

Amawyn.1925

ppl cant handle changes will quit over anything and mmo isnt for them.

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

I think most of the negativity comes from people who are generally opposed to change, like those vets who still pine for Quaggan Lake and raged when it was removed, who lose their minds whenever a patch weakens a build they’ve been using for a while, etc.

It’s actually undermined a particular edge I’d cultivated in game (knowing the map well and losing/killing multiple pursuers off of cliffs by catching ledges, etc.), but I have no problem with it staying even though I don’t have any interest in it personally.

As others have said, it needs more work to deal with some of the abuses that are currently possible, but Anet’s already working on that. Games become stale if they never change, and a lot of people have been asking for gliding in wvw since HoT launched. Anet’s doing it well.

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

in WvW

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

So it shows you that the very vocal wvw vets who constantly reply on here, and have very contradictory opinions to the majority of players are an extremely small % of the playerbase.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

I like it! Can’t understand who would claim vets hate it. Also don’t really believe that disabling gliding in combat would be an improvement. Anyone who wants to run away from a fight will do anyway, they’ll run a build with that goal specifically in mind, and it gives a bit of a mobility advantage to being on the defensive.

in WvW

DemonSeed.3528

So it shows you that the very vocal wvw vets who constantly reply on here, and have very contradictory opinions to the majority of players are an extremely small % of the playerbase.

Almost sounds like you were referring to yourself. kek

in WvW

Lord Trejgon.2809

I like it! Can’t understand who would claim vets hate it. Also don’t really believe that disabling gliding in combat would be an improvement. Anyone who wants to run away from a fight will do anyway, they’ll run a build with that goal specifically in mind, and it gives a bit of a mobility advantage to being on the defensive.

people who believes to be vets and disliking it of course

“I hate it therefore everyone that plays as long as I do must hate it to, otherwise it’s those filthy PvE players ruining muh WvW” kind of a guys.

in WvW

Posted by: Eater of Peeps.9062

Eater of Peeps.9062

I love it! New fresh intrigue/tactics/exploits to deal with! We’re gonna get fresh new ideas and players into wvw if it kills us!

in WvW

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Almost sounds like you were referring to yourself. kek

Really? Because I always thought WvW should have gliding, and anet brought it in. It was the wvw vets who vehemently disagreed. I think my opinion is very reflective of the community as a whole, which is not surprising since I play all game modes on gw2, and have been playing games for 25 yrs.

I just now voted and what a surprise my vote came in with the majority of other votes. Guess I know whats good for gw2.

Now i Hope they add mounts to wvw (RIP roamers), we’ll see if I’m vindicated.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Please do not speak for me or pretend to. I have been playing WvW for years, spend 90 percent of my time there and have well over 15000 hours total and I am not opposed to gliding.

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Over the past couple of days we have had alot of posts on these WvW forums making claims like “all veteran WvW’ers hate gliding” and “my whole friends list quit game over this”. In the interest of giving ourselves an actual idea of how the experienced WvW population feels about this, I have made a straw poll. I realize that not everyone will listen to me and there is no way to restrict who does or does not vote but I would like to ask those who haven’t been here since launch not to vote in this poll. I am making this straw poll with the intention of polling those players who have stuck with the game mode for the years we have had it available for the specific purpose of testing the claims mentioned at the beginning of the post.

Here is the poll:

https://strawpoll.com/dkk6fey5

Lets try to keep the conversation constructive

I like it overall. It needs some work, locations, restrictions, bug fixes etc. obviously need to be addressed, but overall its a very nice change. I like it a lot.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

Didnt notice any “big thing” about glide, just more fast to get the route keep → tower, and even isnt so fast as its seems.

I didnt see yet “the great escape”, or “great retreat”, didnt see yet not even a big defense which had glider as game changer.

So I classify glider as mere cosmetic, harmless, let it stay.

Probably these complaining against are roamers and their “duels”.

in WvW

ugrakarma.9416

how do you get shot outta the sky ? i was flying from my keep down , they could NOT touch me , r u using auto aim ? it will not be fun if other server can just glide into your tower

Lmao dude, Someone flies from their own keep cuz theyre losing Keep(Otherwise they did not have to run), and that’s a big problem? Zerg took Keep, some escaped, and this is ruining entire WvW?

That smells like Roamer / Dueler.

From a strategic point of view, I do not see the big advantage in flying to OgreWatch if losing a battle for the Keep, since it’s more faster to return from the WP spawn to defend the Keep than run around OW.

Probably the ones who are angry about this are those who camp next to ones of SMC sentrys, entire day seeking for duels, then in one of these “important” duels, someone flew to the tower, and because of this, they can not shout to the world how theyre the “big smart guys that wins 1×1 on wvw”.

(edited by ugrakarma.9416)

in WvW

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

I’ve been WvWing since day one, when SBI was a rank 1 server with allies like War Machine and mechanics like The Orb of Power were awesome.

Gliding has potential to be great, just like the Orb of Power but so many people cried about that on the forums they were removed (mostly because of hackers).

Gliding needs some tweaks, but it has the potential to be great.

This game mode needs more content and anytime they add something instead of the community adapting we lement the old days and cry about how things aren’t fun.

We will probably never get a new WvW map based of the backlash received from the previous two, so remember that our complaining does have an impact on new content.

I personally hope gliding stays but we see some tweaks.

in WvW

ugrakarma.9416

I’ve been WvWing since day one, when SBI was a rank 1 server with allies like War Machine and mechanics like The Orb of Power were awesome.

Gliding has potential to be great, just like the Orb of Power but so many people cried about that on the forums they were removed (mostly because of hackers).

Gliding needs some tweaks, but it has the potential to be great.

This game mode needs more content and anytime they add something instead of the community adapting we lement the old days and cry about how things aren’t fun.

We will probably never get a new WvW map based of the backlash received from the previous two, so remember that our complaining does have an impact on new content.

I personally hope gliding stays but we see some tweaks.

and same time, they complain that “game mode is dead”, “servers are empty”.

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

I like gliding in WvW. I just wish the enemy could not just glide away from me. Seems broken. Maybe I am one of the few whom think this? Other than that Gliding is a lot of fun.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

I like gliding in WvW. I just wish the enemy could not just glide away from me. Seems broken. Maybe I am one of the few whom think this? Other than that Gliding is a lot of fun.

I think not being able to glide while in combat (same as not being able to reach max run speed while in combat) would solve this problem in that it would restrict gliding to just a QoL improvement. Do that plus sort out the exploits and I can’t see why anyone would still be against gliding.

in WvW

Lord Trejgon.2809

Didnt notice any “big thing” about glide, just more fast to get the route keep -> tower, and even isnt so fast as its seems.

I didnt see yet “the great escape”, or “great retreat”, didnt see yet not even a big defense which had glider as game changer.

So I classify glider as mere cosmetic, harmless, let it stay.

Probably these complaining against are roamers and their “duels”.

well we had on reset a few defences on alpine [home] borderland – upper right tower was besieged and we have glided from citadel into it – and stop them from capturing – if gliding was not an option, we would not be able to get there fast enought to put any serious resistance…..

although after this one there was a mention on the ts that probably next thing some of those guys will do would be going to forum complain on how brokenopplznurf gliding is for defensive scenarios….

in WvW

Posted by: volpenvieh.3201

volpenvieh.3201

It’s nice and all, I just wish the devs would spend their time on other things.

in WvW

Posted by: escoces.4870

escoces.4870

Gliding for me tips WvW into a two tier game mode. Before we had runes, sigils, wep and armor recipies, provisioner, gennies, elite specs…all tied to HoT ownership. I have HoT and non-Hot accounts and, until gliding, I didn’t feel too disadvantaged when playing my non-HoT account. Now I do. It’s not always a huge advantage. In fact, in a straight line, you’re faster on the ground. But, in too many areas of Alpine & Desert (not tried EB), it saves HoT owners significant travel time over non-Hot owners. Less travel time, more do-something-useful time. I don’t want it to go but I don’t like it being tied to a monetary purchase in a competitive game mode.

in WvW

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Gliding for me tips WvW into a two tier game mode. Before we had runes, sigils, wep and armor recipies, provisioner, gennies, elite specs…all tied to HoT ownership. I have HoT and non-Hot accounts and, until gliding, I didn’t feel too disadvantaged when playing my non-HoT account. Now I do. It’s not always a huge advantage. In fact, in a straight line, you’re faster on the ground. But, in too many areas of Alpine & Desert (not tried EB), it saves HoT owners significant travel time over non-Hot owners. Less travel time, more do-something-useful time. I don’t want it to go but I don’t like it being tied to a monetary purchase in a competitive game mode.

Unless you play guardian, you’re already essentially a waste of space if you don’t have HoT, so this is a nonissue.

in WvW

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

As a wvw veteran speaking on behalf of other wvw veterans I would like to submit a formal complaint that many many pve players have been voting in the poll, thus voiding the results.

Please restart the poll, and send an email invitation to vote on this to all legitimate wvw veterans, including the ones who have not played wvw up to 2 years ago.

Legitimate wvw veterans are those with a minimum of 1500 wvw ranks, any less than that and we risk the poll being polluted with votes from the new pve players who joined wvw recently just for the rewards system.

P.S that looks like a landslide vote to keep gliding in wvw.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

As a wvw veteran speaking on behalf of other wvw veterans I would like to submit a formal complaint that many many pve players have been voting in the poll, thus voiding the results.

Please restart the poll, and send an email invitation to vote on this to all legitimate wvw veterans, including the ones who have not played wvw up to 2 years ago.

Legitimate wvw veterans are those with a minimum of 1500 wvw ranks, any less than that and we risk the poll being polluted with votes from the new pve players who joined wvw recently just for the rewards system.

kek

/15 chars howl in amusement

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

in WvW

Brutal Augus.5917

It would have been nice if anet themselves would do this. Only because I don’t know everyone despite having been here since launch. Very difficult thing to do and I realized from the get go there would be people that didn’t follow the original post instructions.