Gliding and Territories in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

It amazes me how little thought is put into programming of major changes like this. Time and time again. Especially when there are no test servers in this game and the general public has to go through all the headache.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

The sad thing is that there are a number of ANet people that play in WvW.

Some people wonder if zero is really a number.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: Brutal Augus.5917

Brutal Augus.5917

Overall, I think it needs tweeking but is a welcome addition to the game mode. I am interested in seeing what else they do with the territories system.

[varX] Limitless Potential

in WvW

Posted by: Serenity.6135

Serenity.6135

As long as the devs work quickly on fixing any exploits and abuses, and make some tweaks here and there, it has its uses.

in WvW

Posted by: rkarrbr.7305

rkarrbr.7305

This is my suggestion in how to move the territory:

Edit: that may cause you to be eighble to fly to veloka from OG?

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: cobbah.3102

cobbah.3102

Ok ANET you tried it, it sucks now get rid of gliding or you come stand under JQ or BG blobs gliding into you, I mean reallly wth are you guys doing , WvW is screwed and unbalanced as it is do not make it any worse. I for one want WvW back how it used to be . delet this meta crap.

in WvW

Posted by: Fizzee.1762

Fizzee.1762

https://youtu.be/YZU3R4VwodQ

Fix it kitten .. did no one at anet test gliding before dropping it in wvw?

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

The sad thing is that there are a number of ANet people that play in WvW.

Some people wonder if zero is really a number.

lol.. I have run with anet players a few times now.

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Posted by: Ana.2415

Ana.2415

I love gliding!!

We can make really interesting fights and movements with it, also it’s so fun to play like that. I’m enjoying a lot. (It only needs some fixes and will be perfect<3)

Thanks Anet for adding this feature to WvW!

in WvW

Posted by: Kalibri.5861

Kalibri.5861

Wow. I am baffled by all of the hate on this, just like I was baffled by all of the hate for the desert borderland which, despite the flaws (which were fixed), is my favourite WvW map.

I play all game modes (except raids, unfortunately), so admittedly WvW isn’t the only thing I do, but I feel like this adds so much enjoyment to it. I’ve wanted to be able to glide in WvW ever since I could glide in HoT. Apart from some fixable issues like the EBG one mentioned above, I can’t think of anything that’s seriously, fundamentally ruined by this feature, and the added benefits and flexibility are huge.

So yeah, please don’t listen to the haters. I certainly feel like this makes WvW more fun, and I think anybody who disagrees will adapt pretty easily. Please retain this feature, and keep doing what you’re doing, folks. WvW has been improving so much recently!

P.S., I’m excited to see if you guys do anything further with the territory system. =)

in WvW

Posted by: HelenWheels.9103

HelenWheels.9103

I love Gliding and Territories in WvW. Gliding is useful in getting me to places I want to go faster and it is just plain fun. Having gliding only in one’s own territories makes winning more territories more exciting and beneficial. I do hope this is kept in the game. Thank you for great improvements in game play over the years and for always adding fascinating new puzzles to solve and areas to explore.

in WvW

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

I’m a platinum scout no lifer (5 hours a day) and I love gliding, it’s cool and adds variety.

Keep it in the game please – it really adds a refreshing change from normal humdrum WvW.

Alternatively, please make the beta test last 6 months.

in WvW

Posted by: FairyNuff.3452

FairyNuff.3452

Are most of the complainers those who still play core?

in WvW

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Like the change. Has been adding a nice bit of mobility in. Makes the DBL really shine and has been better than expected on ABL and is meeting expectations on EBG. +1 here.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

in WvW

Posted by: Keviin Snow.5760

Keviin Snow.5760

I hate it , ppl can take camp and glide in ow , make it harder to take other server tower ,
server wp back to keep and glide into tower with sieges already build ,
before we were able to stop them from going in
maybe its fun for new player , but ppl who’s been playing wvw for years hate it
so ppl who dont have HOT cant even play or be force to get HOT , if they wanna follow tag , not everyone have gliding
i guess its another way anet force ppl to buy hot or quit , reg gw2 player cant do much anymore ,

(edited by Keviin Snow.5760)

in WvW

Posted by: Mist.6217

Mist.6217

I hate it , ppl can take camp and glide in ow , make it harder to take other server tower ,
server wp back to keep and glide into tower with sieges already build ,
before we were able to stop them from going in
maybe its fun for new player , but ppl who’s been playing wvw for years hate it

So they are developing new tactics because of a new mechanic introduced, sounds like players are adapting very well to the addition of gliding. Now the other sides need to develop tactics to counter the glide in defense. Sounds again like working as intended.

in WvW

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Gliding is awesome and I hope ANet keeps it in WvW imo.
But that OW exploit needs to be fixed. Easiest way to fix that is probably to just extend the area so people can’t use that ledge for gliding anymore.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in WvW

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

I like the gliding. I especially liked it in desert borderlands.

Remember that red is usually the weakest server, so I’m fine with them being able to glide into two of the towers. They could already seige them from the keep anyway.

But maybe instead of kicking you off the glider and falling to your death, it should force you straight to the ground like a parachute. Still keep the birds attacking, that’s a nice touch.

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

But maybe instead of kicking you off the glider and falling to your death, it should force you straight to the ground like a parachute.

No.

It forces you to learn the territories and boundaries and increases a layer to your gameplay.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

But maybe instead of kicking you off the glider and falling to your death, it should force you straight to the ground like a parachute.

No.

It forces you to learn the territories and boundaries and increases a layer to your gameplay.

I was more talking about falling to your death when someone flips a camp

in WvW

Posted by: Invisible Kittens.6380

Invisible Kittens.6380

Now that this gliding has been out for a while I can say following things:

The good:
- It’s a lot easier to reach your zerg now. It’s faster, easier and cliffs arent a riddle anymore.

The bad:
- Not everyone has Heart of Thorns. Not everyone can glide. It means, that newer players and people that want to try wvw automatically see the zerg gliding away from them. I don’t think it’s that enjoyable for them.

- The ‘We Run Away From A Fight Aspect’, i think thats self-explanatory. It’s just silly, its so much easier for the enemy team to disengage from a fight now.

- I actually thought it was good that people had to fight their way through the masses of players and go to the portals of their towers. With the gliding, anyone can easily glide into their tower, bunker tons of siege in there and it’s honestly just… kind of annoying to me, I don’t know if others feel like that about it like I do.

I’m sure I’d be able find more stuff, but this was all I could think of right now.

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

The good:
- It’s a lot easier to reach your zerg now. It’s faster, easier and cliffs arent a riddle anymore.

The bad:
- Not everyone has Heart of Thorns. Not everyone can glide. It means, that newer players and people that want to try wvw automatically see the zerg gliding away from them. I don’t think it’s that enjoyable for them.

- The ‘We Run Away From A Fight Aspect’, i think thats self-explanatory. It’s just silly, its so much easier for the enemy team to disengage from a fight now.

- I actually thought it was good that people had to fight their way through the masses of players and go to the portals of their towers. With the gliding, anyone can easily glide into their tower, bunker tons of siege in there and it’s honestly just… kind of annoying to me, I don’t know if others feel like that about it like I do.

I’m sure I’d be able find more stuff, but this was all I could think of right now.

They can disengage from a fight if they’re near a cliff and decide to glide off… but most battles are not fought near any cliffs.. at least not many. In all the battles I’ve been in since gliding in WvW I haven’t yet seen a big fight break up because one side decided to run away and find a cliff to jump off of. You simply can NOT just jump up in the air and glide away/fly. You need something to jump off of. This whole idea of people gliding away from a battle simply does not exist, although seeing a group jump off the cliff by Garri and other places to get away from a blob coming at them is a different story.

Yes we can get into some towers by gliding, if we own the territory close enough to them to do so. That does NOT give any special advantage to extra supplies for siege so I’m not sure what that has to do with being able to bunker down a tower or keep. We could bunker them down before and gliding hasn’t made that easier or harder.

Over all from what I can see on the servers I’m on and the servers we fight, most people are having a lot of fun taking advantage of this new skill. It will easily pass a poll if/when it comes out.

As for those who don’t pay for the game, I have to say “sorry but you get what you pay for”. Not being mean.. it is what it is.

As I have told my kids for over 3 decades now… Life isn’t fair and never will be. Suck it up, figure out how to make it the best you can.. move on.

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Posted by: Invisible Kittens.6380

Invisible Kittens.6380

The good:

The bad:

They can disengage from a fight if they’re near a cliff and decide to glide off… but most battles are not fought near any cliffs.. at least not many. In all the battles I’ve been in since gliding in WvW I haven’t yet seen a big fight break up because one side decided to run away and find a cliff to jump off of. You simply can NOT just jump up in the air and glide away/fly. You need something to jump off of. This whole idea of people gliding away from a battle simply does not exist, although seeing a group jump off the cliff by Garri and other places to get away from a blob coming at them is a different story.

Yes we can get into some towers by gliding, if we own the territory close enough to them to do so. That does NOT give any special advantage to extra supplies for siege so I’m not sure what that has to do with being able to bunker down a tower or keep. We could bunker them down before and gliding hasn’t made that easier or harder.

Over all from what I can see on the servers I’m on and the servers we fight, most people are having a lot of fun taking advantage of this new skill. It will easily pass a poll if/when it comes out.

As for those who don’t pay for the game, I have to say “sorry but you get what you pay for”. Not being mean.. it is what it is.

As I have told my kids for over 3 decades now… Life isn’t fair and never will be. Suck it up, figure out how to make it the best you can.. move on.

heya! yeah well, the flying away thing happened in bay quite often, since there is the cliff with the water. I honestly don’t think it’ll get many new fresh players into wvw when there’s gliding, I know many people that are thinking of buying the game but want to test out everything first.
I know what you mean, but to me it just feels out of place that gliding is in wvw now. It’s been fun, yes, but not always. I liked it better without gliding.

in WvW

Posted by: Vicious.3042

Vicious.3042

What’s the word I’m looking for to describe my feelings towards this wvw update? Underwhelmed.

in WvW

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

What’s the word I’m looking for to describe my feelings towards this wvw update? Underwhelmed.

Well the problem here is you are still afoot so obviously under all of the people flying over you.

in WvW

Posted by: blackgamma.1809

blackgamma.1809

pretty sure this cements the idea that the development teams are in some form of a deep hell that they may of deserved and wanted to make sure that everyone else suffered for it

hows this for a marketing idea. release Hot. dont add gliding to WvW because sensible and objectively a bad idea, even thought part of the marketing says to sell a functioning fresh WvW game mode. then add gliding it a 2 year laters, just to have issues come into fruition that were already discussed.

i dont think highly of the anet wvw team, and havent since the release of HoT. for good reason

in WvW

Posted by: Keviin Snow.5760

Keviin Snow.5760

how do i glide in wvw without HOT ?

in WvW

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

In counter to the “run away” complaints, gliding also encourages people to fight against superior numbers in situations in which gliding can be used to improve positioning. Gliding adds an additional layer of complexity in fights which is a refreshing addition.

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

I heard u can buy something in gem shop or ingame , so you glide in wvw only ?

No, not as far as I know. You need HoT to glide.

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

in WvW

Posted by: Musty.3148

Musty.3148

I heard u can buy something in gem shop or ingame , so you glide in wvw only ?

No, not as far as I know. You need HoT to glide.

Um… you can buy HOT in the gem store. So really you can.

80 Elementalist/80 Mesmer/80 Guardian/80 Thief
Now Musty Britches since someone decided Shortbus Rider was offensive… [LoS] [NSP]