Higher impact tournaments

in WvW

Posted by: MAGpie.7962

MAGpie.7962

The tournaments are exciting… for about 3, maybe 4 weeks. Then, it just becomes a long winded and somewhat predictable affair towards an already established end. A grind, if you wish.

So here is a thought; why not reduce the tournament rounds, and increase the number of servers in each round?
Using the swiz-style tournament is good, but it is quite awful for the two bottom-feeder servers in gold (Just as an example. And yes, I am in DB.)

So, why not roll it out to all the servers and within quicker, higher impact time frames. And to do that, you will need to do a few things to make it even half fair for everyone.

• Scrap the leagues as a whole. Throw Everyone into the same pot. This will result in a couple of stomping, a couple of being stomped, but the majority of matches in your weigh-group.
  • Narrow the rewards table. Give everyone a nice bite. Give the winner, 2nd up and 3rd an extra slice, but the rest at least something appetizing. This is simply to compensate for the fact that WvW will and cannot ever be “fair”. So, why bother trying. Admit it and simply reward fairly instead.
  • Roll a random paring. This could and will admittedly result in bad blow-outs, but the paring could be controlled in roughly the same way as leagues were selected. Maybe the top 6 gets randomized, then the next 6, etc. Play with it.
  • Reduce tournament time-tables. 4 maybe 5 weeks max, pause a week or 2, and re-roll a random roster. Several quicker, faster passed tourneys as apposed to one, long winded, drawn out monster that sucks the life out of people (me, specifically)
  • Tie breaking. The longer a tournament last, the clearer a winder is. I respect that. However, it is un-fun to be stuck in hell for 9 weeks. Reasonable tie-breakers based on wins/losses, will make for fun prediction.

Anyhow, its just some thoughts.
Don’t hurt us…

in WvW

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

That sounds nice, but they should also divide all winnings by server population. Hey it’s never going to be fair, I agree. That way it encourages people to move to where it will be more beneficial.

It’s all about encouragement. People would move if Anet said we will give the winning server 1000 tickets, and the losing server 500 tickets. Those are then divided among the number of active accounts that participated.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Start the season using the current rankings then go with a winner moves up loser moves down system. No brackets as suggested.

Due to the unbalanced population and coverage in servers, substantial awards should be given by participation. Namely players get tickets based on their WvW achievements. These achievements should be lofty and tiered. Lets say create 5 tiers with 100 tickets per tier with each tier being significantly more than the previous. 500 tickets would require a great amount of WvW play. They should have a temporary vanity award for servers based on where they placed.

I agree the leagues should be much shorter, probably 4 weeks at most.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

(edited by Straegen.2938)