It's not about the bloodlust.....

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnar.4257

Ragnar.4257

So, the forums have been on fire with the bloodlust debate for several weeks now, and I see some folks saying “why get so worked up about a +50/150 stat buff? It’s not much different to food buffs”.

There’s some truth in that argument; I don’t like the buff, and can think of a dozen ways it could’ve been done better, but it’s not as game-breaking as some are making out.

But the reason the underlying discontent has boiled over into outright hostility isn’t just the buff. It’s just the straw that broke the camel’s back, it’s just another thing on a long list of mad decisions, and people have finally given up on waiting patiently and hoping it’ll get better eventually.

Now bare with me here…..

You’ve sat at your desk at work, at 9 in the morning, falling asleep. You could really use a coffee to freshen yourself up, give you some focus and help you work smoothly. Then the office admin person wanders past and offers to get you a drink. You gladly accept and ask for a coffee. Ten minutes later, they come back with a tea.

You don’t mention it, because they went to the effort and probably just forgot, and anyway tea is better than nothing. But the next day, when they offer again, you make sure to put special emphasis on the word “coffee”. But again they come back with tea.

The next day, you spell it out for them “coffee not tea please”, and they come back with a hot chocolate. NOT what you need to stay awake!

The next day, you say wearily “coffee, nothing else, just coffee please”. And they come back with a friggin margarita. You actually quite like margaritas, and in other circumstances it’d be pretty funny and you’d appreciate it. But not at 9 in the morning. And given their behaviour up to now, you start to wonder whether they’re purposefully trying to wind you up. If they’d got you coffee every day and then brought the margarita out of the blue, that’d be pretty funny. But they haven’t.

And if you try to go and make your own coffee, half the office starts screaming at you, and the admin-person refuses to ever speak to you again.

Bloodlust is ANet bringing us a margarita when we need a coffee. On it’s own, we wouldn’t be too bothered, it’d actually be kinda awesome. But given everything that’s come up to now, instead of going “lol what? oh, you so whacky” we’re going “oh for kitten sake, why are you doing this??”

Changes/Fixes that’ve been repeatedly asked for since last year (Coffee):

Proper Commander/Party/Guild UI and functionality. Not being able to kick offline party members.

Bug fixes for all the glitchy towers (hai Hugh “Too Vague” Norfolk)

Something to address the huge imbalances in server populations, nightcapping etc. Maybe something along the lines of cheaper transfers to lower ranked servers, adjusting PPT by population, or making the out-manned buff useful, etc.

An end to Musical Keeps and server-blobs doing laps of the map PvDing down T1 structures and not even trying to defend or fight the other server.

Skill lag.

Completely non-sensical queue system.

Fix for broken waypoint-contesting mechanics.

Changes that have come out of nowhere and don’t really help (Hot Chocolate):

Traps.

WXP Ranks.

AC Buff.

Seige Masteries.

Random matchups.

Free transfers to medium-pop servers, even if they’re T1.

Bloodlust.

Leagues.

The thing is, the people who’ve been playing WvW every day for the last year and who are still sticking with it, have been doing so on the hope and assumption that, while WvW might not be perfect yet and still need some work, at least if we have some patience, keep supporting the game and wait long enough it’ll eventually get there.

There was a brief period back in the spring when it looked like we were finally being vindicated in that hope. With the culling fix, the fix for seige despawn timers, and EU reset being moved to a reasonable hour, there was hope that our patience was bearing fruit.

But since then it’s been all down-hill. You can say “these things take time”, and we understand that that’s true. However, they take a hell of alot longer if the developers are working on pointless stuff in the mean-time, instead of the stuff they should be working on. And they take forever if the developers have no interest in ever getting there.

Bloodlust and leagues have just spelled this out in giant neon flashing letters, which is why they’re attracting all the flak. But don’t let that fool you, the anger is way deeper than a +50 stat buff.

[Scnd][TA][Dius][aX]

(edited by Ragnar.4257)

in WvW

Posted by: OptimistPrime.9283

OptimistPrime.9283

I agree with your post, though I do believe Bloodlust has very overt flaws that should be accounted for.

Definitely not what we asked for, but if it were handled better, it would be just fine. Great, in fact. If the highest population were to recieve smaller to no bonus from Bloodlust than a lower population, then it would be absolutely fantastic. But right now, it just feels… imbalanced and incomplete.

The new additions are visually stunning.

But yeah.

Just my two cents

Darkhaven’s giant purple cat thief thing

(edited by OptimistPrime.9283)

in WvW

Posted by: Martolly.2576

Martolly.2576

but its exactly about the bloodlust,
1+1=2
with blood lust
1+1(+150) =/= 2
Equal skill vs. Equal skill = stat buff win.

The end.

in WvW

Posted by: Bogey.5423

Bogey.5423

It’s just the straw that broke the camel’s back, it’s just another thing on a long list of mad decisions, and people have finally given up on waiting patiently and hoping it’ll get better eventually.

Did break the camel’s back for me. So much grinding involved to get the maximum stats now. World experience upgrades (guard leech, applied fortitude), weapon sigil stacking (multiple weapon sets), ascended items and bloodlust, which is not individual grind per se but additional stat boost. Have been doing mostly PvE now, so waiting to see how it turns out.

[Hex]

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

While I agree for the most part, Bloodlust needs to go until they get some server balance under control. They need to start monitoring WvW participation and open free transfers starting with the bottom tiers, those transfers need to be CUT OFF when the number hits X, then they move to the next 3 lowest servers and do the same, of course the as servers recieve transfers they need to be locked so people cannot just transfer off them when the next round happens. The amount of transfers allowed would get smaller as they work their way up.

It wouldn’t be perfect but it would be alot better then what we have now.

in WvW

Posted by: EFWinters.5421

EFWinters.5421

Good post, +1.

The problem is that Devon has painted the whole WvW development team in a corner. When he said outright that the forum community was a vocal minority that can be disregarded, he basically told the forum community that they were completely wrong about the Bloodlust buff, as well as the league system. Should these two features prove to be a fiasco, I really don’t think that Devon will be able to swallow his pride and admit that the forum community was actually right. That would set a huge precedent for future updates to WvW.

Now don’t get me wrong, it may indeed be the case that the forum community is a vocal minority, and that 90% of the game absolutely love the Bloodlust buff. However, the general consensus among almost all of the people I regularly play with seem to be a different one. We also see post from people who legitimately never post on the forums, and while I may be biased in this, the arguments FOR having Bloodlust in its current implementation don’t seem to hold water.

Devon can keep talking about how the WvW population is growing under his watchful eye, but until we see statistics on this nobody is going to believe him. Besides, if he actually thinks there is any form of causality between adding something like Catapult mastery and having .1% of the PvE population go to WvW I really don’t know what to say.

Human Guardian
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

The problem is that Devon has painted the whole WvW development team in a corner, when he said outright that the forum community was a vocal minority that can be disregarded.

Bout sums it up.

./golfclap

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

in WvW

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

i agree with everything that’s been posted so far. For me, my biggest issue is the server imbalance and no system what so ever to help balance that out. Make transfers to lower tiered servers cheap, make T1 server transfers expensive as hell (if not closed). Do something that helps the situation…and adding +150 stat bonus to the bigger server is not something that will help the situation…..also leagues, having a 12 go against a 1 is not going to help the situation at all either. Honestly will the 12 server even be able to get out of spawn in that matchup? It’s ludicrous. Honestly i’m just holding onto this game until bf4 and eqnext come out, hate to say it but it’s true.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

in WvW

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

Good post, +1.

The problem is that Devon has painted the whole WvW development team in a corner. When he said outright that the forum community was a vocal minority that can be disregarded, he basically told the forum community that they were completely wrong about the Bloodlust buff, as well as the league system. Should these two features prove to be a fiasco, I really don’t think that Devon will be able to swallow his pride and admit that the forum community was actually right. That would set a huge precedent for future updates to WvW.

Now don’t get me wrong, it may indeed be the case that the forum community is a vocal minority, and that 90% of the game absolutely love the Bloodlust buff. However, the general consensus among almost all of the people I regularly play with seem to be a different one. We also see post from people who legitimately never post on the forums, and while I may be biased in this, the arguments FOR having Bloodlust in its current implementation don’t seem to hold water.

Devon can keep talking about how the WvW population is growing under his watchful eye, but until we see statistics on this nobody is going to believe him. Besides, if he actually thinks there is any form of causality between adding something like Catapult mastery and having .1% of the PvE population go to WvW I really don’t know what to say.

He is correct about the forum community being a vocal minority, Because so many people do not post here. HOWEVER, Many people do feel the same as the “Vocal Minority”, they simply dont post. Dont get me wrong here, I agree with many of you guys.

What I believe they need to do is put in a rating system each update IN THE GAME, NOT THE FORUMS for the new content each time, Release the system perhaps 1 week after each patch once people have settled into the content instead of just rage quitting first day as releasing it immediately would skew the system results instrumentally (I.e. First day ragers: SAB, Scarlet, Bloodlust, Teq). If there are bad reviews after the 1 week rating vote, Either implement a change next patch or get working on one ASAP, Alternatively you can EASILY revert to previous version of the content before the update until a fix can be implemented. Good idea, Yes/No? Criticism welcome.

Isle Of Janthir

in WvW

OptimistPrime.9283

Good post, +1.

He is correct about the forum community being a vocal minority, Because so many people do not post here. HOWEVER, Many people do feel the same as the “Vocal Minority”, they simply dont post. Dont get me wrong here, I agree with many of you guys.

What I believe they need to do is put in a rating system each update IN THE GAME, NOT THE FORUMS for the new content each time, Release the system perhaps 1 week after each patch once people have settled into the content instead of just rage quitting first day as releasing it immediately would skew the system results instrumentally (I.e. First day ragers: SAB, Scarlet, Bloodlust, Teq). If there are bad reviews after the 1 week rating vote, Either implement a change next patch or get working on one ASAP, Alternatively you can EASILY revert to previous version of the content before the update until a fix can be implemented. Good idea, Yes/No? Criticism welcome.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Bring-back-in-game-rating-system-from-beta/first#post2864907

in WvW

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

Good post, +1.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Bring-back-in-game-rating-system-from-beta/first#post2864907

Ahh I didnt see that post, my bad. But I dont agree with the immediately after patch, as that is skewed results and doesnt allow people to learn and get use to the content. (Im speaking widely here, not about just bloodlust) 5-7 days after a release would be good imo for an honest opinion.

Isle Of Janthir

in WvW

OptimistPrime.9283

Good post, +1.

Ahh I didnt see that post, my bad. But I dont agree with the immediately after patch, as that is skewed results and doesnt allow people to learn and get use to the content. (Im speaking widely here, not about just bloodlust) 5-7 days after a release would be good imo for an honest opinion.

I agree completely.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Great post, though I disagree in that I think bloodlust by itself is a major problem.

Stats creep has happened in a very similar way, we’ve gotten many small stat increases over time, but added all together, it’s become quite significant: from ascended trinkets to Guard Leech and Applied Fortitude to Ascended weapons to Bloodlust to (in the future) Ascended Armor.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Good post, +1.

Unfortunately for him, it turned out the forum community knew more than he did. ANET was warned what would happen. They chose to ignore it. It will be interesting to see if they blindly begin the league with no changes. If so, they will be in for another fail that everyone predicted.

in WvW

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

Not to be a bugger, but WXP, ranks, and masteries were an answer to the complaints that there was nothing to work towards in WvWvW. The guard leech buffs are a bad idea, but the ranks and the rewards for ranking up were individual accomplishments, and that was something the players were complaining about the lack thereof.,

And the map changes to BL addressed complaints about the maps needing changes. They also offer more for small groups to do.

Obviously, people didn’t want the stat buffs to come back. Can’t really explain their logic there.

I think the biggest complaint to be had is the “nightcapping” issue and the way the outcome of the game is decided by coverage. Ultimately, it’s the most disheartening thing about WvWvW since it makes winning have no feeling of accomplishment and makes the losing side feel helpless. It also becomes a factor in burnout, not just by being burned out by having your maps “nightcapped”, but by forcing everyone to top tier to avoid this and then having to run 24/7 and fight queues. It burns people out high and low in the rankings.

And ANet’s response has been roughly “deal with it”.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: ThaOwner.7560

ThaOwner.7560

Yes they have a kittenlist of changes to make to wvw that are long overdue but i know im not alone when i say this, GvG and open field fights are the ONLY reason i still play this game. Now that gvg is pretty much not possible with not being able to control the buffs to a reasonable degree that just leaves us with open field fights. Now when my guild runs with around 15-25 and when we run into those 35-50(or more but its rare that we’d be able to take on groups that size) man groups and if they have all buffs at that time, theres pretty much no chance in killing them. thats whats game breaking to me.

Tybstra| Everything Purple [EP] | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

I find this comparison unfair to 9 am margaritas.

in WvW

Posted by: florence.1674

florence.1674

The problem is that Devon has painted the whole WvW development team in a corner. When he said outright that the forum community was a vocal minority that can be disregarded, he basically told the forum community that they were completely wrong about the Bloodlust buff, as well as the league system.

Each time I hear a community manager or dev post that the forum posters are a vocal minority, I despair.

It simply shows that the community managers or devs refuse to believe that the forum posters are a representation of the real world population. They simply are denying the idea that a statistical sample can be true. They are probably the same people who believe polls cannot be believed and that statisticians are nothing more than voodoo witchdoctors.

WvW law #1: nobody in WvW can count.

in WvW

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

I wouldn’t have believed a dev would have said the WvW forums users are the minority had I not seen that 1 screen shot of him saying it lol ( fail ) the TS server I use for WvW regularly has over 200-300 people on it, and ive heard NO ONE say a good thing about the new stat, for the most part we try to ignore the centre of the map now,

Sad fact is there is no money to be made in WvW for them, they are trying to push the sPvP real life comps that have $$$ rewards linked to them, this to me is why they totally dropped 5 sPvP zones in the middle of each boarderland map, it seems they have reverted back to how they ended with GW1, we are right you are wrong, don’t like it move along, I guess this is why most of my friends have moved over to FF14, I loved WvW, but I think for most including the ones who don’t post here, because they know its a waste of time, to time to move on to a new game, GL to all those who stay and play the game how you are told to play it.

in WvW

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

The carrot turned out to be a turnip, and the stick is now used to beat a dead horse..

A-net should change their game’s name to something that doesn’t resemble the game they owe 50% of their playerbase on until the game bearing that name resembles the game they based their game on.. if you catch my drift.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in WvW

Posted by: Xenn.3809

Xenn.3809

+1 to OP. Good post. The drop that spilled the cup

Xenn [TDA]
Mesmer | Guardian | Necro | Ele
The Banana Team | www.tda.nu

in WvW

Posted by: MrFluffy.9307

MrFluffy.9307

So, the forums have been on fire with the bloodlust debate for several weeks now, and I see some folks saying “why get so worked up about a +50/150 stat buff? It’s not much different to food buffs”.

There’s some truth in that argument; I don’t like the buff, and can think of a dozen ways it could’ve been done better, but it’s not as game-breaking as some are making out.

But the reason the underlying discontent has boiled over into outright hostility isn’t just the buff. It’s just the straw that broke the camel’s back, it’s just another thing on a long list of mad decisions, and people have finally given up on waiting patiently and hoping it’ll get better eventually.

Now bare with me here…..

You’ve sat at your desk at work, at 9 in the morning, falling asleep. You could really use a coffee to freshen yourself up, give you some focus and help you work smoothly. Then the office admin person wanders past and offers to get you a drink. You gladly accept and ask for a coffee. Ten minutes later, they come back with a tea.

You don’t mention it, because they went to the effort and probably just forgot, and anyway tea is better than nothing. But the next day, when they offer again, you make sure to put special emphasis on the word “coffee”. But again they come back with tea.

The next day, you spell it out for them “coffee not tea please”, and they come back with a hot chocolate. NOT what you need to stay awake!

The next day, you say wearily “coffee, nothing else, just coffee please”. And they come back with a friggin margarita. You actually quite like margaritas, and in other circumstances it’d be pretty funny and you’d appreciate it. But not at 9 in the morning. And given their behaviour up to now, you start to wonder whether they’re purposefully trying to wind you up. If they’d got you coffee every day and then brought the margarita out of the blue, that’d be pretty funny. But they haven’t.

And if you try to go and make your own coffee, half the office starts screaming at you, and the admin-person refuses to ever speak to you again.

Bloodlust is ANet bringing us a margarita when we need a coffee. On it’s own, we wouldn’t be too bothered, it’d actually be kinda awesome. But given everything that’s come up to now, instead of going “lol what? oh, you so whacky” we’re going “oh for kitten sake, why are you doing this??”

Proper Commander/Party/Guild UI and functionality. Not being able to kick offline party members.

Something to address the huge imbalances in server populations, nightcapping etc. Maybe something along the lines of cheaper transfers to lower ranked servers, adjusting PPT by population, or making the out-manned buff useful, etc.

An end to Musical Keeps and server-blobs doing laps of the map PvDing down T1 structures and not even trying to defend or fight the other server.

Skill lag.

Traps.

WXP Ranks.

AC Buff.

Seige Masteries.

Random matchups.

Bloodlust.

Leagues.

The thing is, the people who’ve been playing WvW every day for the last year and who are still sticking with it, have been doing so on the hope and assumption that, while WvW might not be perfect yet and still need some work, at least if we have some patience, keep supporting the game and wait long enough it’ll eventually get there.

There was a brief period back in the spring when it looked like we were finally being vindicated in that hope. With the culling fix, the fix for seige despawn timers, and EU reset being moved to a reasonable hour, there was hope that our patience was bearing fruit.

But since then it’s been all down-hill. You can say “these things take time”, and we understand that that’s true. However, they take a hell of alot longer if the developers are working on pointless stuff in the mean-time, instead of the stuff they should be working on. And they take forever if the developers have no interest in ever getting there.

Bloodlust and leagues have just spelled this out in giant neon flashing letters, which is why they’re attracting all the flak. But don’t let that fool you, the anger is way deeper than a +50 stat buff.

AMEN.

Hi

in WvW

Posted by: MiLkZz.4789

MiLkZz.4789

Not about stat buff? I killed 2 lvl 80s underneath the fire of 3 ACs without giving 1 single fluck thanks to +150 boost.

And I couldn’t stop laughing about the rediculousness of this. Ofcourse I logged after this, I don’t play a kiddies game. I am back to First Person shooters where skill is still encouraged and valued.

But you are right about the rest tho, we asked for tons of things since BETA! They always telling us they are working on it. While after a year we haven’t seen anything we asked for. When is the commander UI upgrade coming? Raid leaders, commander tags for guilds only? Why do I get blocked in mapchat as commander? Tons and tons of things they should have worked on, but patch after patch they give us things NOBODY ever asked for. The hate is spreading its roots in this one, this patch was the drop that flooded the bucket as we say.

I am playing other games till WvW gets fixed.

Warrior of [VcY], guild from Seafarer’s Rest
First troll to receive 10/10
Best golem driver EU

(edited by MiLkZz.4789)

in WvW

Posted by: Steroid.8317

Steroid.8317

Agree with all points!

Steroid Supraz, Norn Warrior
Gatekeepers of Desolation [GoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Steroid.8317

Steroid.8317

I want my coffeeeeee!

Steroid Supraz, Norn Warrior
Gatekeepers of Desolation [GoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

What bothers me aswell is that they screw up the balance a little more, and make WvW a little less friendly to new players, every patch.

I just cannot begin to fathom what goes on in peoples mind that say “ow but WvW wasnt balanced anyway”

Yeah… so? That means we should just unbalance it even more? I guess in that case we shouldnt complain about Perplexity runes either, ey? Afterall, WvW isnt balanced nor suppose to be.

And then there is the WXP crap. Those who got a lot of time into WvW, especially early on, then got the reset and could pick up big statboosts. 2000 health, 200power, 200condition damage.
Nothing a new player will be able to pick up. And thats besides a gear advantage. And then we go ahead and make it so that if you get stomped you might be feeding points to the enemy server. So now people will also get kitten ed at new players

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

What bothers me aswell is that they screw up the balance a little more, and make WvW a little less friendly to new players, every patch.

I just cannot begin to fathom what goes on in peoples mind that say “ow but WvW wasnt balanced anyway”

Yeah… so? That means we should just unbalance it even more? I guess in that case we shouldnt complain about Perplexity runes either, ey? Afterall, WvW isnt balanced nor suppose to be.

And then there is the WXP crap. Those who got a lot of time into WvW, especially early on, then got the reset and could pick up big statboosts. 2000 health, 200power, 200condition damage.
Nothing a new player will be able to pick up. And thats besides a gear advantage. And then we go ahead and make it so that if you get stomped you might be feeding points to the enemy server. So now people will also get kitten ed at new players

This. Even if the devs weren’t doing such a terrible job, players would naturally leave the game mode. New players are needed to keep it alive. But almost everything new that Anet has implemented has been very bad for new players. This is very very bad.

in WvW

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

Now bare with me here…..

Skill lag.

Traps.

WXP Ranks.

AC Buff.

Seige Masteries.

Random matchups.

Bloodlust.

Leagues.

+1

in WvW

Posted by: TainoFuerte.8136

TainoFuerte.8136

I can agree that the buff is simply another one in the list of things they’ve added that just don’t do anything or outright make WvW worse (Applied Fortitude, for example). The buff itself, however, is also a problem and a bad idea.

What I’d like to know is how the forum being the “vocal minority” changes anything. Isn’t that the whole point of having a forum? That the community represents itself through it? Why the hell else would you have a forum? What polls and surveys are Anet using to gauge player opinion on things like this, or do they just assume that if you log in you are content (which is likely what they do, but this is incredibly biased)? I’ve never received a mail from Anet asking for my opinion in game.

in WvW

Posted by: Art.9820

Art.9820

*Changes that have come out of nowhere and don’t really help:

This is why you people still the minority…. please next time do some research before posting…

All classes

(edited by Art.9820)

in WvW

Posted by: RighteousOne.4613

RighteousOne.4613

Why not just combine some of the lower populated WvW servers?

in WvW

Posted by: Art.9820

Art.9820

*Changes that have come out of nowhere and don’t really help:

This is why you people still the minority…. please next time do some research before posting…

Racist! :P

Expressing myself with the same words used by the “outcasts”, ironic isn’t? :P

All classes

in WvW

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Why not just combine some of the lower populated WvW servers?

because… SURPRISE! there are other parts to the game with their own populations!

in WvW

Posted by: Erastmus.3785

Erastmus.3785

What I’d like to know is how the forum being the “vocal minority” changes anything. Isn’t that the whole point of having a forum? That the community represents itself through it? Why the hell else would you have a forum? What polls and surveys are Anet using to gauge player opinion on things like this, or do they just assume that if you log in you are content (which is likely what they do, but this is incredibly biased)? I’ve never received a mail from Anet asking for my opinion in game.

In that post Devon explained that they measure the success of their actions based on metrics and metrics alone. I’d challenge that though. No company should ever use one instrument to gauge how a product sells, and that’s one reason larger companies have dedicated business intelligence divisions who scrounge through forums, media and other open source intelligence about their products.

To base business decisions on one variable only, such as metrics, is of course quite a ludicrous thing to do and I don’t think that’s what they do either. However, referring to metrics is a great way for them to have as an argument since metrics is non-transparent to the customer and can’t really be disputed.

Prissie – floppy-eared Asura elementalist
Crtitical Emergence [CE] – Gunnar’s Hold
My elementalist videos… http://www.youtube.com/user/erastmus/videos