Living story in WvW? Again?

in WvW

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Are you people so completely not listening to us that you’re going to do this again?

Never mind the vocal minority. Your own metrics must have shown you that we WvW players simply avoided the Living story mobs in borderlands and the Eternal battleground unless the yaks were affected. Living story mobs don’t belong there.

There is no reason for players from the blue or green borderland to invade the red borderland and kill living story mobs, and for that reason alone, the living story mobs don’t belong in WvW.

I think I need to go find that interview with Colin J. where he said something to the effect that “if we listen to our players we’ll be ok”. Something like that.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Well, to be fair they are attacking the new map, not the “real” WvW maps, and I would say that is a rather fair compromise.
Edge of the Mists have after all always been talked about as having quite a bit of PvE in it.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: ParaldaWind.4523

ParaldaWind.4523

Well, to be fair they are attacking the new map, not the “real” WvW maps, and I would say that is a rather fair compromise.
Edge of the Mists have after all always been talked about as having quite a bit of PvE in it.

Why should we have to compromise on this? Why can’t we just have something good that most everyone likes for once?

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]
Maguuma – youtube.com/pyrogw2

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Why should we have to compromise on this? Why can’t we just have something good that most everyone likes for once?

Because getting more people interested in WvW is good for everyone?
There will always be people that don’t like stuff. No matter how they do it.

And lets be honest, EotM already had quite a bit of PvE elements in it (based on the beta) and adding a few extra temporary things to give the map a story and continuing the story of the world itself isn’t really much of an issue.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

Do these living story elements inside WvW actually get new people interested in WvW though? I’ve never seen anyone doing them outside of protecting yaks, and I imagine people that never come to WvW don’t even know they exist.

edit: if this thread is about living story stuff inside edge of the mists, I’m not a big fan of it, but at least it’s outside of the normal WvW maps.

(edited by Kaos.9162)

in WvW

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

I don’t see the problem in here, in fact this is much better for us since all the PvE players will have a map that won’t affect us. Instead of being rage-blinded to see the whole picture look at it this way:

They’re placing the PvE on a secluded map. All the Living Story will be there and we won’t have to deal with unnecessary NPCs on the “real maps”. To me they actually listened to us.

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

(…)
They’re placing the PvE on a secluded map. All the Living Story will be there and we won’t have to deal with unnecessary NPCs on the “real maps”. To me they actually listened to us.

Show me the information where LS stuff wont be more in WvW map?
And this LS stuff on WvW dont call any more players to the map.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Show me the information where LS stuff ont be more in WvW map?

Show me the information where LS stuff will be on the other WvW maps?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

(…)

Show me the information where LS stuff ont be more in WvW map?

That’s what I hope, at least it’s what it looks like. The next chapter will be centered on the Edge of the Mists, so why bother adding something to the other maps when you have this huge PvE/PvP map?

Being the showcase of the update everything would had to be there, or maybe I’m giving too much credit to it?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/28/journey-to-the-edge-of-the-mists-in-guild-wars-2s-next-content/

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

in WvW

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

I’m really not here to read reciprocal questions from lordkrall.

I would like to know why Anet is not listening to the players on this issue, or even looking at their own metrics. I’m sure they know exactly how many Energy Probes have been destroyed in the borderlands this week, and I’m certain it’s “not very many”.

It’s a small number because living story, toxic mobs and energy probes are not relevant to WvW.

What’s next? A giant marionette hanging above your EB keep getting ready to destroy unless players jump through a puzzle to pull her strings and move the marionette to the next keep?

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

(edited by Herr der Friedhoefe.2490)

in WvW

Posted by: mrmadhaze.8706

mrmadhaze.8706

Pity devs take care only about farmers and gestore.
That’s why wvw is kitten and there is pve everywhere.

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

I would like to know why Anet is not listening to the players on this issue, or even looking at their own metrics. I’m sure they know exactly how many Energy Probes have been destroyed in the borderlands this week, and I’m certain it’s “not very many”.

It’s a small number because living story, toxic mobs and energy probes are not relevant to WvW.

But they are.
They are not adding it into the real WvW maps, they are adding it into a new map, which would serve several purposes.

1: It explains why we get a completely new map all of a sudden.
2: It helps push the story of the world forward.
3: It gets more people into WvW and might end up with increased participation overall.

People are asking ArenaNet to remove Living story from the borderlands. ArenaNet does that by putting it on a new (already PvE heavy) map.
People are asking ArenaNet to give more people reason to join WvW. ArenaNet does that by putting Living Story stuff in a semi-WvW-PvE map.

I really don’t see how we can claim them not listening.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

I’d just ignore lordkrall. He sees never wrong in ANet’s approaches, just check out his posting history. If I didn’t know it better I’d think he’s paid.

in WvW

Posted by: Shonie.5297

Shonie.5297

But they are.
They are not adding it into the real WvW maps, they are adding it into a new map, which would serve several purposes.

1: It explains why we get a completely new map all of a sudden.
2: It helps push the story of the world forward.
3: It gets more people into WvW and might end up with increased participation overall.

People are asking ArenaNet to remove Living story from the borderlands. ArenaNet does that by putting it on a new (already PvE heavy) map.
People are asking ArenaNet to give more people reason to join WvW. ArenaNet does that by putting Living Story stuff in a semi-WvW-PvE map.

I really don’t see how we can claim them not listening.

How will EOTM get more people into WvW exactly?
If anything, there will be way less people in WvW, because they will be in EOTM doing stuff that isn’t even helping the server.
You think Pve’ers in zerk gear getting ganked by experienced roamers in EOTM is gonna make them rush to WvW?

~Tarnished Coast~

in WvW

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

So ANet believes the answer to adding new maps for WvW and “enticing” players to WvW is to add LS?

ANet has to have an “excuse” for adding more WvW content?

And instead of addressing some of the inherent issues with WvW design/rewards, they try to use LS as a motivator.

-not a big fan of using only a crowbar as a one tool does everything

PS: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Feb-4-Patch-EOTM/page/2#post3562156

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

in WvW

Posted by: Andrew Clear.1750

Andrew Clear.1750

Man, you people complaining need to go see a shrink and get some treatment on your “I am never satisfied with anything” mental disorder.

EoTM isn’t even the main WvW maps, it was always seperate. Also, just using the living story, to add background to why the EoTM exists isn’t really a big issues.

WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT EVERYTHING WITHIN THIS GAME.

I swear, most of the posters on this forum is trying to kill WvW and GW2.

in WvW

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

WvW players need to get real. The world is about money. WvW is not profitable for Anet at all in comparison with LS. I bet that metrics will show that WvW players spend the least in the cash shop. The living story is extremely profitable to them. If you want more WvW development, you had better allow them to find a way to make it profitable by attaching a little living story to it.

If you balk at this attempt to kill two birds with one stone(profit + WvW development), they simply will continue to be sluggish on WvW development in favor of more profitable development.

Note: For those that will slam me for not being a WvW player, I am a primary WvW player with something like 700-800 WXP level between 3 characters and I hate LS and Scarlet with a passion. If you browse my post history, you’ll find plenty of posts slamming Scarlet. I am just being realistic.

in WvW

Posted by: D best.3547

D best.3547

Eotm is not a competitive map it is used to transition players from PvE into WvW and as a good way to test ideas that could go into WvW. All new content from now on has and will be introduced through living story and they did careful thinking of how the living story could introduce this map.

Sea of Sorrows
Champion Paragon

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

My experience it’s a non-issue. People don’t stop what they’re doing, no one shows up to farm it, it’s not in well travelled places, and it’s not like our maps are queued. Is that the problem? You’re fightin queues with PvE players? If this is a topic about first tier problems, I’m gonna flip a table.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

I’m starting to think ANet actually believes if they can force feed us terrible LS content that somehow we’ll develop some type of Stockholm syndrome.

Also, the reason WvW players don’t spend as much the Gem store is….Because they do not put anything in there for WvW players! Shocker!

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

in WvW

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

WvW players need to get real. The world is about money. WvW is not profitable for Anet at all in comparison with LS. I bet that metrics will show that WvW players spend the least in the cash shop. The living story is extremely profitable to them. If you want more WvW development, you had better allow them to find a way to make it profitable by attaching a little living story to it.

If you balk at this attempt to kill two birds with one stone(profit + WvW development), they simply will continue to be sluggish on WvW development in favor of more profitable development.

Note: For those that will slam me for not being a WvW player, I am a primary WvW player with something like 700-800 WXP level between 3 characters and I hate LS and Scarlet with a passion. If you browse my post history, you’ll find plenty of posts slamming Scarlet. I am just being realistic.

Reason, practicality and reality have no place on a game forum.

Good post.

I can speculate about the internal politics at ANet and why WvW has to incorporate PvE in order to get a “blessing” to proceed. Bottom line is it’s all about “the bottom line” e.g. money.

I can accept it.

Doesn’t mean I have to like it.

Well said though.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

in WvW

styx.7294

I’m starting to think ANet actually believes if they can force feed us terrible LS content that somehow we’ll develop some type of Stockholm syndrome.

Force fed? What kind of rhetoric is that? You have to go out of your way to even kill these mobs. They’re located in very low traffic areas (dunno about Eternal Battleground but in the borderlands… like how often do you find yourself on the cliff west of Hills?).

I mean, the alternative would have been for those areas to be empty. Instead they’re not empty but we can treat them like empty and it doesn’t change a thing. I’m not saying this is the best idea of it’s fixing anything but Living Story in WvW isn’t going to kill it. Living Story in WvW isn’t what’s wrong with WvW (it’s just a meh). We gotta fight the fights that matter.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Andrew Clear.1750

Also, the reason WvW players don’t spend as much the Gem store is….Because they do not put anything in there for WvW players! Shocker!

Not all the LS has been crappy. Plus, who said that next weeks update will be crappy? Who even says that EoTM is even going to be heavily laced with LS elements.

I remember a post before Christmas, where they said they were only going to do an update once a month for the final portion of this living story arc, so can we assume that this patch will just be a minor one?

People will love EoTM on the 7th, as the maps are queued for reset.

in WvW

Andrew Clear.1750

Force fed? What kind of rhetoric is that? You have to go out of your way to even kill these mobs. They’re located in very low traffic areas (dunno about Eternal Battleground but in the borderlands… like how often do you find yourself on the cliff west of Hills?).

I mean, the alternative would have been for those areas to be empty. Instead they’re not empty but we can treat them like empty and it doesn’t change a thing. I’m not saying this is the best idea of it’s fixing anything but Living Story in WvW isn’t going to kill it. Living Story in WvW isn’t what’s wrong with WvW (it’s just a meh). We gotta fight the fights that matter.

totally agree.

in WvW

styx.7294

Not all the LS has been crappy. Plus, who said that next weeks update will be crappy? Who even says that EoTM is even going to be heavily laced with LS elements.

I remember a post before Christmas, where they said they were only going to do an update once a month for the final portion of this living story arc, so can we assume that this patch will just be a minor one?

Edge of the Mist likely will do more to kill WvW than Living Story will. Most WvW maps aren’t queued.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

A strong point worth considering. Thanks for the alternate view and opinion friend.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

in WvW

Andrew Clear.1750

Edge of the Mist likely will do more to kill WvW than Living Story will. Most WvW maps aren’t queued.

I know. I had reservations about this map when they announced it, for that same reason. Why fight in the main maps, when you have an alternate, that has no queues, and matches will be shorter.

I think regular WvW will be dead, except for large guilds that want to get all their members on the same map. But, even then, who are they going to be fighting? Will the main WvW maps, just turn into GvG maps?

in WvW

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

People that don’t want to do wvw/pvp aren’t going to get into it just because they sprinkle in a little pve content. No matter how much pve you cram into it, there are still people there want want to, and will, kill them. If they don’t want to fight other players, they aren’t going to enter wvw unless you put a pile of free precursors in the middle of the map.

I do hope that this means the end of living story on the other 4 wvw maps, because that does remove the negative side to pve/LS content in wvw. But it is still pointless and will bring very few new players into wvw, and just works to keep wvw players away from the new map because they don’t want to deal with LS content. If anything, there will simply be less people bothering to do the living story content because of where it is.

And I just had a friend tell me this as I was typing it. She won’t be doing any of the next living story content that takes place in wvw, because she has no interest in wvw. So there is one player will still be avoiding wvw, and is now avoiding LS content as well.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Anet is on a two week Living Story schedule. Here is the easiest way to create content:

• Take what’s already being developed (EoTM).
  • Dump some Scarlet into it.
  • Make up some Achievements.
  • Call it a Living Story chapter.

This is not about introducing PvE players to WvW. It’s about “creating” content in the quickest, easiest way possible. Whether this is good or bad for WvW probably didn’t even enter Anet’s minds.

in WvW

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

Relax. It’s just a bit of story to introduce the new map.

Concentrate on the good news: A proper queue system that tells you which maps are queued without you having to try them and tells you your position in the queue.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

in WvW

Posted by: Cyga.1246

Cyga.1246

Scarlet in WvW. Worst evil character ever. Oh my god

in WvW

styx.7294

Relax. It’s just a bit of story to introduce the new map.

Concentrate on the good news: A proper queue system that tells you which maps are queued without you having to try them and tells you your position in the queue.

The last bit is not good news for most servers which don’t have a queue.

Bleh, this seems like the worst way to introduce the map. Now the PvE guilds that love achievements (as they themselves described to us) that showed up to help during leagues are being led to not help us in WvW PPT wise. What the hell, ArenaNet? You’re worried no one is going to join your overflow map? Maybe ‘cause the maps don’t have queues!

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

This new map could be fun.

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: slamb.4781

slamb.4781

Guys look on the bright side.

Just think of all the PvE walking Loot Bags running around Savaging for there little achievement points. One of them could have your precursor!!

I will enjoy every PvE Achievement hunter stomp!!
/sit
/sit
/sit
/sit

Sir Kitty Litter
[QOP] Quaggan Op – Guild Leader

in WvW

Posted by: CEDWYN.5392

CEDWYN.5392

ITT: People who still think Anet actually cares about what players want.

Not like there is a history of some company consistently ignoring player requests and releasing content in PVP that no one asked for. OOOOOOHHHH… WAIT.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Its a WvW overflow map created specifically to deal with queue issues no the regular WvW maps so it is a real WvW map.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

If they let us kill people in the mists map while they are doing their LS, this will be the best move ever.

in WvW

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Unless there’s some drastic changes that were done, I’ll let you guys know that there was no blatant use of Living Story or Scarlet in the EotM map.

In the public beta, all they had were Aetherblades in the center of the map. Everything else was map objectives, towers, keeps, and player fights.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

If they let us kill people in the mists map while they are doing their LS, this will be the best move ever.

If I wanted faceroll easy kills that spit out free loot I would be playing PvE. Bringing PvE’rs to WvW can only decrease the quality of the fights.

in WvW

Posted by: SpehssMehreen.5897

SpehssMehreen.5897

If I wanted faceroll easy kills that spit out free loot I would be playing PvE. Bringing PvE’rs to WvW can only decrease the quality of the fights.

Alot of Big talk coming from this guy, elitism is bad for the game

in WvW

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

I don’t like it at all. However it will probably drive PVERS from wvw. Even though this new map is more pve heavy then the current map it’s still an open world-ish pvp map. This means a good deal of them will go in there to see the story, check out the new map and either get run over by a zerg, or gibed by a solo roamer. Either way it makes for a poor experience for that player. I can see solo roamers having a lot of fun.

in WvW

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Are you going to tell me that fighting someone that doesn’t want to PvP and does not care about how good they are at PvP is going to be a good quality fight? They try to lure PvE’rs to WvW with stuff like league achievements and living story but at the end of the day PvE’rs don’t want to PvP, therefore a fight against them is not enjoyable for anyone.

It’s hardly elitism to not want to fight people that are not experienced at PvP because of the fact that they don’t want to be experienced at it.

in WvW

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

Alot of Big talk coming from this guy, elitism is bad for the game

It might be a (tiny)bit elitist, but he/she has a point. Trying to attract achievement hunters that have no interest in wvw at all does not help anything. That is the only pve group they are going to draw in with this, and they are going to be there only for their achievement points. No desire to learn about player vs player combat, no desire to adapt their builds for more viable wvw/pvp use, and no desire to actually participate in wvw/pvp aside from getting achievement points.

At least with the season 1 achievements, these players were going along with wvw players and zergs, all working toward the same objectives. Living story achievements in wvw just puts them on the map for the sake of trying to populate it. If these players are going to be off on their own in LS areas, they are just easy loot bags.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

in WvW

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

Are you going to tell me that fighting someone that doesn’t want to PvP and does not care about how good they are at PvP is going to be a good quality fight? They try to lure PvE’rs to WvW with stuff like league achievements and living story but at the end of the day PvE’rs don’t want to PvP, therefore a fight against them is not enjoyable for anyone.

It’s hardly elitism to not want to fight people that are not experienced at PvP because of the fact that they don’t want to be experienced at it.

This.

It will be season 1 all over again, most PvErs don’t even bother to change build when they enter WvW lol.

in WvW

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

My main concern is what will this new map mean for smaller servers, ones that didn’t have a big issue with queuing. EotM is fresh and shiny, and since Anet is lousy in giving us new zone content, everyone will end up in EotM (myself included, I’m curious). Ok ok, all-PvEers are going to be easy loot, but this will draw players away from the real WvW maps. Fine for big servers that have tons of people in the queue, a la Gold League. But for the less populated ones, which have trouble filling the 4 existing borderlands, the task of not being outnumbered is going to be much more difficult.

Maybe one way this wouldn’t be an issue is if they make EotM accessible solely through Living Story for the 2 week duration of LS, and then open it up for WvW.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

(edited by hedix.1986)

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Its a WvW overflow map created specifically to deal with queue issues no the regular WvW maps so it is a real WvW map.

It doesn’t, in any way or form, as far as I know effect the real match-ups though.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

It doesn’t, in any way or form, as far as I know effect the real match-ups though.

It will suck players away from the PPT match up, making coverage problems even worse for small servers. Too bad you can’t see that through your rose tinted glasses.

And now, back to my ignore list with you.

(edited by Herr der Friedhoefe.2490)

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

It will suck players away from the PPT match up, making coverage problems even worse for small servers. Too bad you can’t see that through your rose tinted glasses.

Real WvW-players will stay on the real maps. Simple as that. EotM is more of a middle-ground between PvE and WvW and thus, most likely, won’t interest the majority of the people playing WvW for the sake of playing WvW.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Going to be honest. I generally wvw once or twice a week so I am already very casual at that content. I do use and have characters set up for WVW with the right build / gear , etc.

However,
This new map will do a few things for me. I will explore it and enjoy what I can from the new map. I will see what AP I can get from it, if there are specific ones. I will complete the meta. And then I won’t use it again until Season 2 starts and I am stuck in que.

in WvW

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

Real WvW-players will stay on the real maps. Simple as that. EotM is more of a middle-ground between PvE and WvW and thus, most likely, won’t interest the majority of the people playing WvW for the sake of playing WvW.

You’ll probably want to go there to pick up some of the consumables. Sentry turrets in particular will be useful I think. You can deploy these anywhere and when enemies get near you see their red dots on your map.

I’m not really sure where this “middle ground between PvE and WvW” is coming from. There are some interesting mechanics on the map, but it’s still very much a WvW map.

It does amuse me to see so many people assume a black and white distinction between WvW and PvE players when there are many, many people who enjoy both modes of the game. I myself have over 15k achievement points, which puts me in the top 500 in NA and top 25 on my server, and yet I probably spend more time in WvW than any other game mode.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes