NA World Linking 28 October

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

EU got their thread locked even before it started… Anet don’t want to hear people crying about stuff such as “Now Drakkar Lake is in a bad position like Gunnar’s Hold was.” or “Why Vizunah Square have 2 links?” or “Why Piken Square (2nd) have no link and Jade Sea (3rd) does if they are on the same tier?”

And honestly, while I’m loving dem tears, NA one should have received the same treatment. They won’t answer the question these people want answered anyway, so why bother?

As far as I know, Piken Square and Far Shiverpeaks are pretty kitten happy about being unlinked

It’s actually a good thing they seem to be ignoring EU. Maybe they’ll ignore it enough to let it float back to solo servers for all. You NA kids can have the shiny new stuff.

I am just generalizing complaints similar to the ones we had in the past links. Like the one about GH situation and FSP tri-link while it was T1.
Good thing they are happy. I seens to me that the unlinked servers are going to fall tho. The geman duo (Abaddon’s Mouth and Dzagonur) is winning by a landslide

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

You give the server winning T1 a link? lolwut? Who is making these decisions? And could you please explain them? I think we’d all like to be enlightened on this since it seems pretty nonsensical.

They were only winning because they had a good link before. (The proof is already showing in the total score)

Thankfully for us we have been moved elsewhere. I feel bad for ET though.. :P … although ET might be a small group in WvW but they are some of the best people I know!

*Sorry Jim, if you’re on Mag… I suspect you’re not one of those I ever had to block :P *

That explains quite a bit. But I do wish Anet would outright state something on the lines of “We’re trying to prevent another huge fall like DB, so we’re linking servers in T1 with weaker servers than they had to make the fall slower without completely wrecking them.” I think we’d all accept that explanation, since it’d make sense and it’d mean they’d fall, albeit slower.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Good thing they are happy. I seens to me that the unlinked servers are going to fall tho. The geman duo (Abaddon’s Mouth and Dzagonur) is winning by a landslide

Don’t think too many in EU care about that to be honest.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

But it is about being Full. JQ is Full because it has more active population than Very High servers. There’s no reason to give a link to a Full server.

I think this round of links is pretty reasonable. Look at how close all the NA matches are right now.

Population is used for server status. Links are used to better even up matches. This is not whats happening

^This.
I’ve got a lot of friends on JQ and when I look at my friends list during the day I rarely see more than 2 or 3 of them in wvw. But every one of them will hop in at some point, either during prime time or just to get their daily.

All of these people are technically active players even if they are only in wvw for about an hour or less everyday.

When I look around on Mag I see the same names logging in every day and putting in way more hours.

Yeah and thats why we’re full, not why we didn’t get a link.

JQ is currently winning the T2 match without a server link. Seems like the T2 match is pretty even.

That’s because it’s the weekend and some of our Sea came on for reset. Today we have some NA playing during EU, etc. Once the work week begins, that coverage and man power goes poof!

Basically what happens to most servers.

Not really, clearly not to the same extent, otherwise JQs score would not decrease so much relative to their opponents. Its already happening now with TC going to take the lead with the current skirmish.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Anet continues to link servers with zero desire to balance them equally, they continue using their balance within tiers approach.

How would you make the linking to make that better? I think the current system is the closest solution to balance out servers within tiers AND between tiers. OF course the first priority is to keep it balanced in the tiers themselves, so matchups will be balanced, but I am sure tier 2 servers will do ok in tier 1 and tier 4 servers will do ok in tier 3 as well.

DB lost a lot of coverage. It is true that they are likely to go up in tiers later, but if arenanet only takes into account the amouth of activity in wvw in the last month or so, then it is clear that DB became a tier4 server and thus is entitled to 2 links.

JQ is similar to DB such that they have a specific off hours prime stronger than their NA prime. If JQ is full and thus without link, then why should DB be given the different treatment?

Because DB is not full? And please… JQ SEA is far larger than DB’s.

@Skyshroud (Night? Dijory here.): DB in its current state really isn’t comparable to any tier1 server. They have a good sea-coverage, but we both have seen them without link the last weeks and have seen their numbers implode during eu-times for example. I think the matchup is quite balanced, DB received better links because of their tanking the last few weeks, but both HoD and CD can beat them. If they still had no link then they would just be dead last again for the next weeks to come and they have seen enough of that lately

It is a matter of fairness and balance. Putting a high server with obvious higher population with 2 other medium servers, it is very highly possible it have combined higher population than others.

In fact, it does. While HOD is winning skirmish by a very very small margin, the overall PPT is losing to DB. To put it in a more practical perspective, HOD itself has outman buff during PST prime reset with CD having a blob of 40ish running around and paper everything HOD had except garri while DB still able to resist it. I don’t remember seeing much queue during reset either. Both CD and DB are having map queue during SEA time while HOD is having a outman buff with 40-men squad.

Honestly speaking, I believe HOD has lower population compared to both and is making it all up with average teamwork, tactics and skills, most importantly coverage. If both CD and DB have more good commanders to cover 24 hours which apparently they don’t, they both would have easily crashed HOD.

It is funny to me seeing some CDs complaining in some threads about inferior links with poor skills while my personal opinion, realistically speaking, skills can improve in short amount of time while population is extremely volatile. I rather have the populations than skills.

Regardless, the links are highly questionable. I have doubt in anet team capability to analyse data.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Rink.6108

Rink.6108

It is a matter of fairness and balance. Putting a high server with obvious higher population with 2 other medium servers, it is very highly possible it have combined higher population than others.
While HOD is winning skirmish by a very very small margin, the overall PPT is losing to DB.
Regardless, the links are highly questionable. I have doubt in anet team capability to analyse data.

Night, I love you man, but if the servers are that close together as we are now in PPT, then it obviously is not a highly questionable link. It shows that if a server is “high” or “medium” in population (number of players) doesn’t show the wvw population adequately and thus isn’t used by arenanet to calculate the activity in wvw. HoD has a lower population, but very active players, guilds and commanders, DB is struggling to keep people active after weeks of being bashed into the ground. In some timezones HoD will be outnumbered (and I am aware that your timezone is one of them) in others, DB will be overrun, that’s normal for servers with coverage gaps. I suspect arenanet uses the participation-gain per server in last weeks to measure how good a server is for the linking and imho this is the easiest way to make sure the linkings are fair. And I think if the points in a matchup are 60, 63, 55 K PPT like in the HoD, DB, CD matchup, then it is kind of unfair to say that it isn’t balanced. How much more balanced can it be?

Now IF DB wakes up and players start to play again, then it is possible that DB will be clearly stronger than HoD or CD, and I also expect this to happen like with YB (to a lesser degree), but I think Arenanet has to do their linkings depending on the activity they see, based on hard data and not on theoretical calculations of how the activity could develop in the future. Because such calculations can never be reliable enough.

(edited by Rink.6108)

in WvW

Posted by: Princess.7584

Princess.7584

BG doesnt need pairing, just ask Anet and people can be moved there.
Just dont forget to say Please and Thank you.

True Story.

Nah its because if we did, people like you would never let it go.

Are you denying that people ARE moving into BG regardless of the full status?
And you are right, I will not let this go.

You seem to enjoy the fact that there is no competition for you unless servers are linked even then it seems not to be a advantage for them, chest thumping that you are the last of the old T1 servers. Would you not like for once to look at skirmish timer and have to work for it, when was the last time BG actually had a real “Oh KITTEN” moment, my thinking was just before Anet opened BG up for that week 3 months ago and people flooded in. Over looking the part that Anet is still moving active WvW’ers into BG regardless of full status.

Anets mistake, never under estimate people’s need to win with minimal effort.

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

BG doesnt need pairing, just ask Anet and people can be moved there.
Just dont forget to say Please and Thank you.

True Story.

Nah its because if we did, people like you would never let it go.

Are you denying that people ARE moving into BG regardless of the full status?
And you are right, I will not let this go.

You seem to enjoy the fact that there is no competition for you unless servers are linked even then it seems not to be a advantage for them, chest thumping that you are the last of the old T1 servers. Would you not like for once to look at skirmish timer and have to work for it, when was the last time BG actually had a real “Oh KITTEN” moment, my thinking was just before Anet opened BG up for that week 3 months ago and people flooded in. Over looking the part that Anet is still moving active WvW’ers into BG regardless of full status.

Anets mistake, never under estimate people’s need to win with minimal effort.

Lol what?

First of all, I am speaking for myself, I am not a spokesperson for a server. I have no interest in rolling over a server, I go to wvw for fights and to help my server as much as I can, I have no interest in banging on gates or sitting on siege, I know what server I can go to for that. Although this is true for a lot of other players as well.

BG is a successful server and has no reason to apologize for it simply because you or anyone else does not like it. We have a large dedicated militia and many great guilds, and we all focus on teamwork, coordination and communication. Instead of hating on us, trying copying BG’s success.

Despite whatever you want to believe, we do lose matches, and we lose players. If you don’t want to believe that, it’s your fault. If you think we just blob up every map all day and never go outnumbered, you have no clue and are just clouded by bias. Heck when I logged in tonight we barely won a skirmish that went down to literally the last seconds.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: kefro.9312

kefro.9312

Tier2 servers needed to be balanced so anet gave them no linking servers, why? If the tier 1 linked servers couldn’t compete alone why dont they would drop to tier 2, isnt suposed the tier 1 to be only for the strongest servers?
So what is the point of having tiers when anet is the one that controls who is on top tier by linking them and making their opponents unlinked and at full status instead of using the glico for balance servers on each tier.
RIP free to play, more like transfer to win. No point on playing wvw anymore

(edited by kefro.9312)

in WvW

X T D.6458

So tier 2 servers needed to be balanced so no linking servers for them or else the tier 1 linked servers couldn’t compete and they would drop to tier 2.
So no point of having tiers because anet is the one that controls who is on top by linking them and making their opponents unlinked and at full status.
RIP free to play, more like transfer to win. No point on playing wvw anymore

Supposedly they do linkings based on populations. Although at the last relinking, TC was full and still got a link…so I really don’t know sometimes. I don’t understand why any server labeled full should get a link.

(edited by X T D.6458)

in WvW

kefro.9312

If AngryJoe was still playing this he would make some “Angry rant Joe” video on youtube. I think im going to donate him like 50 dollars on his next stream with a message explaining this situation. Maby i can get his attention

in WvW

Rink.6108

the three most active servers (thus tier 1 servers) didn’t get a link. There is no “full” server that did get a link in current matchup.

If there are several full servers (so for example 4 servers with an activity that is too high and thus leads to a lot of queues on the servers), then they will still be different in how much over the “limit” the servers perform. So if a lot of pve players on Blackgate go to wvw and start playing even if it is full, then this server will clearly outperform the opponents. This has to be addressed with linkings as well. We only see “full” but in reality even full servers can have different levels of activity and this has to be balanced.

in WvW

kefro.9312

TC was full on the linking before this one and still got a server link. Now they weren’t full and they got none. So what is the diference now? There is no logic besides the one we were talking about

in WvW

X T D.6458

the three most active servers (thus tier 1 servers) didn’t get a link. There is no “full” server that did get a link in current matchup.

If there are several full servers (so for example 4 servers with an activity that is too high and thus leads to a lot of queues on the servers), then they will still be different in how much over the “limit” the servers perform. So if a lot of pve players on Blackgate go to wvw and start playing even if it is full, then this server will clearly outperform the opponents. This has to be addressed with linkings as well. We only see “full” but in reality even full servers can have different levels of activity and this has to be balanced.

It’s difficult to predict activity, they can only go on metrics that they collect. I think the linkings this time are much better though.

in WvW

Rink.6108

TC was full on the linking before this one and still got a server link. Now they weren’t full and they got none. So what is the diference now? There is no logic besides the one we were talking about

The logic is that both times (this linking and the last one) the three top rated servers (thus theoretically tier 1 servers) didn’t get a link. This has been done after the feedback from the community that thought it is unfair for 1 of the top 3 servers having a link and others having none, even if arenanet though it needed to balance out the “over the limit”-activity of full servers I just explained.
The matchmaking-system just didn’t put the top 3 servers in tier 1 this time.

in WvW

Posted by: Nightingale.8364

Nightingale.8364

The logic is that both times (this linking and the last one) the three top rated servers (thus theoretically tier 1 servers) didn’t get a link. This has been done after the feedback from the community that thought it is unfair for 1 of the top 3 servers having a link and others having none, even if arenanet though it needed to balance out the “over the limit”-activity of full servers I just explained.
The matchmaking-system just didn’t put the top 3 servers in tier 1 this time.

Maguuma are 2nd rated server and got a link, they have been one of the top 3 ranked servers for over 2 months now. JQ (although full) have spent most of the last two months as a tier 2 server (ranked 4th or 5th). TC and YB have been swapping the 3rd ranked spot over the last two months with YB spending most of the time as 3rd ranked team (only piteous performances in the last few weeks have made them drop).

Anet doesnt have any logic in these linkings.

in WvW

Posted by: MaLeVoLenT.8129

MaLeVoLenT.8129

This time around I believe the reevaluation was done by Tiers. Arena Nets logic was pretty spot on. Good job Team!

As many people in previous threads said, you can not just unlink T1 servers because BG will not have a match. Therefore it wouldn’t make sense to unlink MAG. What would make sense is to reevaluate based off the tiers itself:

T1: BG, MAG, YB T2: TC, JQ, FA

When you look at it this way, you can see why MAG has a link and YB has a link.

Now with Tier 2 and specifically the argument of TC versus JQ, when Arena Nets overall goal is overall WvW balance you do not aim at giving a populated server like JQ more coverage simply because a competitor that is near equal out numbers them like TC did to JQ during the last 2 months.

Instead what you do is you take coverage from TC and you keep JQ the same. Thus, spreading out coverage from the top down in a Tier. TC loses its link and JQ doesn’t gain one. FA keeps a link. TC won quickly last match up with a link and now the only thing that’s changed is that YB is in the tier and TC does not have a link. Thus, JQ a direct competitor can compete at a greater level.

Not once yet did I mention Server population status. Because it seems that didn’t change. It doesn’t seem that it was evaluated thus it doesn’t change the reason as to why TC is open and JQ is locked.

JQ is an rare imbalanced server. JQs imbalance comes from their OCX to SEA that makes up a large portion of their overall coverage where as TC is the opposite(EU/NA). Most servers have a lack of OCX/SEA and it shows in the current match up.

You guys need to understand the difference between Victory Points and your rank and what determines it. When JQ SEA logs on, There is no opposition to slow them. You can see this last SEA time. The pie chart will start to look like pac-man. They have both TC and YB out numbered. After SEA, JQ loses all their forces besides 1 force and TC and YB have multiple forces and the pic chart looks like both TC and YB swallowing JQ. In fact both YB and TC gain on JQ at the same time and skirmishes come down to the wire between the two. Any 2 servers that fight JQ has the same issue and giving JQ more coverage simply means a rare super stacked server.

What JQ has to do is… Everyone has sayed it I dont have to.

~The Mad Court~ [OnS]Onslaught GM
Malevolent Omen -Guardian
Mad King Mal -Rev

in WvW

Posted by: Lapiy.7160

Lapiy.7160

Anet continues to link servers with zero desire to balance them equally, they continue using their balance within tiers approach.

How would you make the linking to make that better? I think the current system is the closest solution to balance out servers within tiers AND between tiers. OF course the first priority is to keep it balanced in the tiers themselves, so matchups will be balanced, but I am sure tier 2 servers will do ok in tier 1 and tier 4 servers will do ok in tier 3 as well.

DB lost a lot of coverage. It is true that they are likely to go up in tiers later, but if arenanet only takes into account the amouth of activity in wvw in the last month or so, then it is clear that DB became a tier4 server and thus is entitled to 2 links.

JQ is similar to DB such that they have a specific off hours prime stronger than their NA prime. If JQ is full and thus without link, then why should DB be given the different treatment?

Because DB is not full? And please… JQ SEA is far larger than DB’s.

@Skyshroud (Night? Dijory here.): DB in its current state really isn’t comparable to any tier1 server. They have a good sea-coverage, but we both have seen them without link the last weeks and have seen their numbers implode during eu-times for example. I think the matchup is quite balanced, DB received better links because of their tanking the last few weeks, but both HoD and CD can beat them. If they still had no link then they would just be dead last again for the next weeks to come and they have seen enough of that lately

In fact, it does. While HOD is winning skirmish by a very very small margin, the overall PPT is losing to DB. To put it in a more practical perspective, HOD itself has outman buff during PST prime reset with CD having a blob of 40ish running around and paper everything HOD had except garri while DB still able to resist it. I don’t remember seeing much queue during reset either. Both CD and DB are having map queue during SEA time while HOD is having a outman buff with 40-men squad.

Honestly speaking, I believe HOD has lower population compared to both and is making it all up with average teamwork, tactics and skills, most importantly coverage. If both CD and DB have more good commanders to cover 24 hours which apparently they don’t, they both would have easily crashed HOD.

It is funny to me seeing some CDs complaining in some threads about inferior links with poor skills while my personal opinion, realistically speaking, skills can improve in short amount of time while population is extremely volatile. I rather have the populations than skills.

Skill does matter right now because ppk is a thing, if your linked partners feed kills all the time you will lose timezones even if the main server is doing well. http://imgur.com/a/QnEvw this was the K/D from reset with CD mainly going EBG and the other 2 links on the bl’s, we came in last place during every single skirmish during reset. CD is the smallest host server and cant really hold its own like other servers in terms raw coverage even during NA prime we can only hold one map so we are given the biggest linked servers like SF and DH but both servers cant do anything by themselves even with making up about a 1/4 of the overall pop. We are always the ones who get to log in Sea or NA(our main timezones) and break all the tier 3 keeps while SF’s guild groups or now DH’s pugs go around feeding ppk to the other servers and never really help. Its not fun to carry a 1/4 of your server while always having to deal with tier 3 keeps everyday because you don’t have the coverage to stop them from upgrading it in the first place. Also about training we did train SF and they where starting to learn but oh relinking happened and now we have DH another server of clueless players.

Servers: Crystal Desert, Underworld, Eredon Terrace
Guilds: [TDS] The Desert Squad-Retired, [bM] Badmash, [BoRP] Bunch Of Random Players
Always looking for fights gvg’s etc just hit me up!

(edited by Lapiy.7160)

in WvW

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

There is no logic behind why one world is open and another not if they are in the same tier, you either close the whole tier or open the whole tier

I took an arrow to the knee

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

This time around I believe the reevaluation was done by Tiers. Arena Nets logic was pretty spot on. Good job Team!

As many people in previous threads said, you can not just unlink T1 servers because BG will not have a match. Therefore it wouldn’t make sense to unlink MAG. What would make sense is to reevaluate based off the tiers itself:

T1: BG, MAG, YB T2: TC, JQ, FA

When you look at it this way, you can see why MAG has a link and YB has a link.

Now with Tier 2 and specifically the argument of TC versus JQ, when Arena Nets overall goal is overall WvW balance you do not aim at giving a populated server like JQ more coverage simply because a competitor that is near equal out numbers them like TC did to JQ during the last 2 months.

Instead what you do is you take coverage from TC and you keep JQ the same. Thus, spreading out coverage from the top down in a Tier. TC loses its link and JQ doesn’t gain one. FA keeps a link. TC won quickly last match up with a link and now the only thing that’s changed is that YB is in the tier and TC does not have a link. Thus, JQ a direct competitor can compete at a greater level.

Not once yet did I mention Server population status. Because it seems that didn’t change. It doesn’t seem that it was evaluated thus it doesn’t change the reason as to why TC is open and JQ is locked.

JQ is an rare imbalanced server. JQs imbalance comes from their OCX to SEA that makes up a large portion of their overall coverage where as TC is the opposite(EU/NA). Most servers have a lack of OCX/SEA and it shows in the current match up.

You guys need to understand the difference between Victory Points and your rank and what determines it. When JQ SEA logs on, There is no opposition to slow them. You can see this last SEA time. The pie chart will start to look like pac-man. They have both TC and YB out numbered. After SEA, JQ loses all their forces besides 1 force and TC and YB have multiple forces and the pic chart looks like both TC and YB swallowing JQ. In fact both YB and TC gain on JQ at the same time and skirmishes come down to the wire between the two. Any 2 servers that fight JQ has the same issue and giving JQ more coverage simply means a rare super stacked server.

What JQ has to do is… Everyone has sayed it I dont have to.

People are just living in the past and think this is the days of Waha or something. JQ is not that server any longer. For OCX, TC had 5 Guild groups running in OCX this past week, 5 of them. That’s not even counting the random tags, 5 full guild groups. TC and Mag have been stacking the heck out of OCX, far beyond anything JQ has. So we are in a deficit for OCX and EU and just getting to equal in NA. So where is this magical population that makes us “full” or "balanced for T2 even?

For Anet, they should NOT be deciding what Server’s are in what Tier!!!! How is that a competition, when you can never compete with the developers. Seriously, right there you are saying Anet did whatever it had to to keep MAG in Tier 1, to keep us in T2, and manually setting matches each week to keep things this way. Then why bother playing when there’s nothing our actions can do to change the outcome??? The only thing we can do is to just stop playing all together and drop, because we can never get ahead unless we’re the “chosen” server.

EotM is a better RvR platform than WvW has become. Least in there we can pick guilds and players to form a Team on a new instance and make our own short match up. Someone start a website or something to organize it.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(edited by DeWolfe.2174)

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Not when you consider the far greater volatility in matchmaking. They did this in EU and the servers they were matching the population with didn’t even meet each other.

Do you want a return to closed tiers?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Rink.6108

@Nightingale
a) Maguuma alone has not been rank 2, they have been rank 2 together with the link BP against unlinked servers JQ and BG. You don’t know how much of it was dependent on the link, Arenanet does.
b) Glicko-ranking isn’t the same as activity in wvw and it is actually a good thing that Arenanet is able to make linkings balanced for coverage/activity of the population (so “absolute” values) instead of a relative point-system that is very dependent on who you fight, who you are linked with etc.

But just look at the results on millenium and then tell me again what servers you would consider “tier1”-enough to be unlinked and we can evaluate if this would make matches more balanced or not.

@Lapiy I understand that it is hard and it is hard for other servers as well to find a way to work together with the linked servers. I think CD just needs a while until they have implemented the new manpower into their main zergs and guildgroups, people know what commanders to follow etc. This is easier for HoD and DB, because they have a larger base and smaller links. People already know about TS and discord and all that. But they also don’t have a lot of possibilty to improve on what they have now.
HoDs links were around 1 out of 7 guys in the main zerg during EU. So you have a lot of manpower compared to HoD if you have 1 out of 4 and as soon as people are used to you guys it will be a lot better and you may make it really hard for HoD to compete with you.

@Dewolfe The linkings say, that according to Arenanet BG, TC and JQ are tier 1, it’s just the matchmaking-system that didn’t put them there. Arenanet has to make the linkings manually to make sure, the matches are competitive even if a t2 server goes to t1. If they don’t do that, blowout-linkings would be the result and I think the results in NA show that it works very well atm. Looks a lot more balanced than before linkings were implemented.

in WvW

SkyShroud.2865

Night, I love you man, but if the servers are that close together as we are now in PPT, then it obviously is not a highly questionable link. It shows that if a server is “high” or “medium” in population (number of players) doesn’t show the wvw population adequately and thus isn’t used by arenanet to calculate the activity in wvw. HoD has a lower population, but very active players, guilds and commanders, DB is struggling to keep people active after weeks of being bashed into the ground. In some timezones HoD will be outnumbered (and I am aware that your timezone is one of them) in others, DB will be overrun, that’s normal for servers with coverage gaps. I suspect arenanet uses the participation-gain per server in last weeks to measure how good a server is for the linking and imho this is the easiest way to make sure the linkings are fair. And I think if the points in a matchup are 60, 63, 55 K PPT like in the HoD, DB, CD matchup, then it is kind of unfair to say that it isn’t balanced. How much more balanced can it be?

Now IF DB wakes up and players start to play again, then it is possible that DB will be clearly stronger than HoD or CD, and I also expect this to happen like with YB (to a lesser degree), but I think Arenanet has to do their linkings depending on the activity they see, based on hard data and not on theoretical calculations of how the activity could develop in the future. Because such calculations can never be reliable enough.

I don’t like the idea of a “High” server getting two links. It also pretty contradictory to TC’s “Very High” solo link and as well as the only “High” servers to have 2 links. That is like saying DB is very close “Medium” population but surely that isn’t the case.

Skill does matter right now because ppk is a thing, if your linked partners feed kills all the time you will lose timezones even if the main server is doing well. http://imgur.com/a/QnEvw this was the K/D from reset with CD mainly going EBG and the other 2 links on the bl’s, we came in last place during every single skirmish during reset. CD is the smallest host server and cant really hold its own like other servers in terms raw coverage even during NA prime we can only hold one map so we are given the biggest linked servers like SF and DH but both servers cant do anything by themselves even with making up about a 1/4 of the overall pop. We are always the ones who get to log in Sea or NA(our main timezones) and break all the tier 3 keeps while SF’s guild groups or now DH’s pugs go around feeding ppk to the other servers and never really help. Its not fun to carry a 1/4 of your server while always having to deal with tier 3 keeps everyday because you don’t have the coverage to stop them from upgrading it in the first place. Also about training we did train SF and they where starting to learn but oh relinking happened and now we have DH another server of clueless players.

It is a matter of what come first, people or skill? If one don’t have people, how can one talk about improving? It is much easier to blob down a 30-men with 60-random men than to build up a highly skilled 30-men. Likewise, you still need to have 30-men in the first place to train them.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

(edited by SkyShroud.2865)

in WvW

Posted by: Darlgon.9273

Darlgon.9273

So why a “High” server like Dragonbrand has 2 other links?

DB hasnt been high since they won.. ONE week. The WvW guilds left by the droves in the two weeks after that. Personally, I had two guilds that left. DB has been a wasteland. The few players who stayed could chat for hours in map/team and no one else would respond. We had four (?) main guilds that stayed.

Logging into our own BL became, “Is anyone here?”. No answer. No keeps or towers held. T3 servers would steamroll our BLs and EBG because no one was there. Commander tags? Lucky to have one for a few hours in the SEA times and 1 at NA prime.

The last two days and nights were awesome. There were people responding to call outs. There were three commander tags in EBG. WvW felt alive again, instead of the walking zombie it felt for the last month plus.

I too, dont understand how the links are determined, but at least they are trying something, admitting what was happening before was not working.

Charrdian, Ashura Mesmer, Norn Ranger, Sylvari Elementalist and Human Magic Engineer

in WvW

SkyShroud.2865

DB hasnt been high since they won.. ONE week. The WvW guilds left by the droves in the two weeks after that. Personally, I had two guilds that left. DB has been a wasteland. The few players who stayed could chat for hours in map/team and no one else would respond. We had four (?) main guilds that stayed.

Logging into our own BL became, “Is anyone here?”. No answer. No keeps or towers held. T3 servers would steamroll our BLs and EBG because no one was there. Commander tags? Lucky to have one for a few hours in the SEA times and 1 at NA prime.

The last two days and nights were awesome. There were people responding to call outs. There were three commander tags in EBG. WvW felt alive again, instead of the walking zombie it felt for the last month plus.

I too, dont understand how the links are determined, but at least they are trying something, admitting what was happening before was not working.

Completely lost at the bold words.

Anyway, DB is a legit “High” server, “High” as in “High” status population server. DB is similar to JQ, high off hours population and in DB’s case, high SEA population. Thus, unfortunately for you, if you are from NA, you are in an asia dominated server. Your NA therefore become similar to other servers’ off hours situations which is sometimes quiet. Regardless, again, DB is a “High” server.

Now anet decide to add two links to it, in hope to boost its NA I assume, however without a care about how it will affects the off hours. DB already dominating SEA will gain even more numbers with morning NA. In fact, I already seeing it happening.

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Darlgon.9273

Darlgon.9273

Anyway, DB is a legit “High” server, “High” as in “High” status population server. DB is similar to JQ, high off hours population and in DB’s case, high SEA population. Thus, unfortunately for you, if you are from NA, you are in an asia dominated server. Your NA therefore become similar to other servers’ off hours situations which is sometimes quiet. Regardless, again, DB is a “High” server.

Now anet decide to add two links to it, in hope to boost its NA I assume, however without a care about how it will affects the off hours. DB already dominating SEA will gain even more numbers with morning NA. In fact, I already seeing it happening.

Up until Friday, if DB had 20 players in EBG and the three BLs, in the early morning of a weekday or afternoon NA, they had a population explosion. It has NOT been a “High” server for weeks. Queues? Lol.. non existant on a reset night.

Charrdian, Ashura Mesmer, Norn Ranger, Sylvari Elementalist and Human Magic Engineer

in WvW

SkyShroud.2865

Up until Friday, if DB had 20 players in EBG and the three BLs, in the early morning of a weekday or afternoon NA, they had a population explosion. It has NOT been a “High” server for weeks. Queues? Lol.. non existant on a reset night.

Right, I must be blind to see AZ, RF and ASIA running a combine of 40 to 50 from time to time daily, this didn’t even include the pugs. I must deluded to see that the server status shows DB as high. I must be seeing things to see a outman buff on my 40-men squad on reset morning (which is your morning).

Again, same case with JQ, just because it has weaker “NA” timezone, doesn’t means it doesn’t has a strong timezone elsewhere but whatever that helps you sleep at night ok, I mean your selective reading is strong.

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Rink.6108

The “high” mark doesn’t adequately show the wvw population on the server, like others have said here, DB hybernated for a long time now and the players just didn’t play. That’s why they are considered tier 4 now and thus get the same amouth of links as the other tier 4 servers.
But yes, they have a large SEA-time crew including those guilds. HoD has a huge EU crew instead (especially when you play into EU-time), crushing everything for weeks now. Should we get no link because of that?
But of course it is possible that DB wakes up and we will lose, but imho it is still a fair and good fight, even if we lose. We will have good fights.

in WvW

Posted by: Larka.7683

Larka.7683

TC and JQ have an insane amount of people at all hours. Worst of all, they really enjoy grouping up to attack YB.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Worst of all, they really enjoy grouping up to attack YB.

Everyone does tbh because nobody want YB in their tier.

WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points

in WvW

Posted by: shiri.4257

shiri.4257

Linkings are fine, get a good chuckle every relink. There are enough DH hungry to get into the thick of the fight. HOD definitely has the largest On-Call PVD crew. Always outmanned turtling with siege when there are fights to be had. Soon as enemy commanders log off, the bat signal comes up and HOD comes out with full map queue to ktrain. It’ just a clash of cultures. Linked servers with HOD have had terrible experiences even though they win the PPT game in t4. While links with CD most of them have had good experiences with us. The exception maybe SF, but most of them were good lads.

~Kasumei/Machiato
Desert Spectre [VII]-Crystal Desert
“You’re never out of the fight.”

in WvW

Posted by: MaLeVoLenT.8129

MaLeVoLenT.8129

TC and JQ have an insane amount of people at all hours. Worst of all, they really enjoy grouping up to attack YB.

I feel like it’s TC and YB that group up to attack JQ. To be honest.

~The Mad Court~ [OnS]Onslaught GM
Malevolent Omen -Guardian
Mad King Mal -Rev

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

I think it went all avenues this weekend. Started out with some normal 1v1v1 play… JQ fatness just too much for anyone, YB + TC team JQ, JQ + YB team TC to break t3 smc… only ones I never seen team up yet is JQ + TC, I think in part this is because both groups are enjoying fighting each other. Frustrating at times, but overall was an enjoyable weekend.

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Because YB will sit on siege and just avoid fighting for hours and hours, which makes for a really boring match up. So both TC and JQ would rather force you guys to fight and get amazing matches (like that 1+ hour 3 way battle in YBBL last night for the Garri), than spend a week of being bored out of our minds because YB would rather PPT than fight.

I think it went all avenues this weekend. Started out with some normal 1v1v1 play… JQ fatness just too much for anyone, YB + TC team JQ, JQ + YB team TC to break t3 smc… only ones I never seen team up yet is JQ + TC, I think in part this is because both groups are enjoying fighting each other. Frustrating at times, but overall was an enjoyable weekend.

The JQ+TC team up was last night for YB’s garri. We helped each other open up inner, and then proceeded to turn on each other for it. So you’d see TC pushing in, JQ following afterwards, both sides splitting up when YB pushed in and then us either pushing YB together, or working with them to push the last server.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

(edited by RyuDragnier.9476)

in WvW

Hexinx.1872

I forgot about that yb garri fight. Yeah … I was watching YB so much I never noticed JQ rolling up behind, I got trampled (head was definitely not on a swivel – only realised after, all 3 servers where in). But yeah so there it is … all variations of servers joining forces, only to wreck each other whenever one feels.

in WvW

shiri.4257

Regarding the Server names and server pride. Remove the server name of the server from both host and links and replace it with the Guild name or Tag only. It is guild wars, and we would rather have our guild represent us on the battle field. You solve the problem of servers feeling they’ve lost their identity. But in the grander scheme of things, your identity should be your guild.

~Kasumei/Machiato

in WvW

Posted by: Mylerian.9176

Mylerian.9176

Anet. Sorry if this is not positive. But your linking systems stinks. Please remove it ASAP. Let servers stand alone.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Anet. Sorry if this is not positive. But your linking systems stinks. Please remove it ASAP. Let servers stand alone.

Would you elaborate why or you are just hating for the sake of hate? I would like to hear why you think that a system that actually breathe some life in servers that had empty maps most of the time is so bad.

in WvW

Posted by: XTR.9604

XTR.9604

I’m pretty sure that the links are population based. Maguuma as a server has a more skilled player base that can still compete and some times win against larger population servers. Just speaking from my experience of when I was on Maguuma.

Also, nothing wrong with the linking system. I think it is doing pretty well as it sits as far as keeping decent balance. I mean look at Fort Aspenwood, they barely won the T3 match that they were in last week against HOD and NSP, and now they rolled a T1 match where they’re nearly tied with Maguuma lol… Tier 1 to Tier 3 for the most part have pretty well rounded coverage as far as population goes. T4 is just the left overs it seems, but I think they still have decent amounts of population in T4, just a much lower skill level.

Asphyxia [XT] – Crystal Desert & Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at XtremeTheory.com

(edited by XTR.9604)

in WvW

Hexinx.1872

The difference is always in the full week. It shows which servers have players who play more than the weekend alone. The significant scoring gaps always occur between Monday – Wednesday. Thursdays always a right off, but matches are often secured well before that.

in WvW

Posted by: Mylerian.9176

Mylerian.9176

Would you elaborate why or you are just hating for the sake of hate? I would like to hear why you think that a system that actually breathe some life in servers that had empty maps most of the time is so bad.

Sorry but all of you low tier people that are matched up with Higher Populations Servers need to learn to fight properly in WvW. It is not your fault to you a Zerg is 15-20. To us a Zerg is at least 50+. You (for the most part) are unwilling to learn proper techniques.

You do not get into TS even though invited to do so. You run kitten builds and can not fight . Therefore you bring down the server your paired with. If you were willing to learn proper fighting techniques, and learn to run proper builds everyone experience would be so much better! But until these lower tier servers learn this stuff, they need not be linked with higher population servers.

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

Sorry but all of you low tier people that are matched up with Higher Populations Servers need to learn to fight properly in WvW. It is not your fault to you a Zerg is 15-20. To us a Zerg is at least 50+. You (for the most part) are unwilling to learn proper techniques.

You do not get into TS even though invited to do so. You run kitten builds and can not fight . Therefore you bring down the server your paired with. If you were willing to learn proper fighting techniques, and learn to run proper builds everyone experience would be so much better! But until these lower tier servers learn this stuff, they need not be linked with higher population servers.

Many of the low pop servers don’t have the population to make that much difference. It’s very likely the high pop servers have as many nubs and free bags on them as the low pop servers do population.

It’s easy to use the link as an excuse but many T1 servers just cannot fight unless they have guild groups running. Yes, even mag/bg/tc. We all like to pretend our server is the fight server until another time zone is getting pushed by inferior numbers because it’s not as organized. Or a particular guild group keeps yoloing 20 into 50 over and over again, tanking KDR.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Sorry but my T4 guild been killing T1 players fine during our last pairing while we were at YB, thank you. Most of the times our group died was because the enemy heavily outnumbered us. There isn’t more skill in the higher tiers, there is only more people.

Every server have people who run bad builds and don’t want to be in TS. Saying it’s a lower-tier-only problem is ridiculous. If “fighting properly” is bringing more people, yeah we won’t “fight properly” because we don’t enjoy it. We never asked to be linked to T1/T2 anyway.

Also, if links hurt so much the high tier server, why they tank so hard to get a link when the relinking is close? (The only servers that didn’t try to tank for a link were BG and Mag) Either the higher tiers do not agree with you or they just want more people > skill, which is clearly what the higher tiers are about.

(edited by Jeknar.6184)

in WvW

Posted by: Kylden Ar.3724

Kylden Ar.3724

For a High server DB was performing very poorly at T4 against Linked Medium ones.

Well, being linked under them now, I can say that they really don’t seem to coordinate, with themselves or others.

Kylden
Leader of TACO mini-roamer guild, Kaineng.

in WvW

SkyShroud.2865

The “high” mark doesn’t adequately show the wvw population on the server, like others have said here, DB hybernated for a long time now and the players just didn’t play. That’s why they are considered tier 4 now and thus get the same amouth of links as the other tier 4 servers.
But yes, they have a large SEA-time crew including those guilds. HoD has a huge EU crew instead (especially when you play into EU-time), crushing everything for weeks now. Should we get no link because of that?
But of course it is possible that DB wakes up and we will lose, but imho it is still a fair and good fight, even if we lose. We will have good fights.

Nope, I have more faith in system indicator than human estimation, afterall, majority people can’t differentiate between 20ish from 30ish and so on. Also. HOD remains medium despite having larger EU, again, system status indicator. It is simple to say that HOD has a lot more regular wvwers and commanders on average than other T4 servers, keeping the server afloat despite lesser overall numbers.

Regardless, now we entering weekdays, DB is catching up in PPT, demonstrating their higher coverage aka higher overall populations. I was not wrong about DB links having much more, I am not wrong to find such linking logically absurd. I don’t have to see how it will go in weekdays because the logic is already that absurd.

You didn’t train nobody because you refused to work with anyone from sf. There’s only 5 English speaking guilds in sf and we can all confirm cd never even tried to talk to us. You’re not just bad commanders. Because now you’re lying to our faces.
And that’s saying a lot coming from the server of guilds that can’t even fight RED without booking it before killing them. Stay in your lane.

Maybe you guys could actually achieve something if your server wasn’t so busy always talking trash on forums.

No worries, I have a few CDers that added me into their friend list. They blocked me the moment I whisper them for politely asking them to join HOD, in fact, only CD peeps ever blocked me for that. Really rude individuals, especially if you think about the fact that they are the one that added you into their friendlist. Totally reminds me why I get my guild to leave CD.

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

For a High server DB was performing very poorly at T4 against Linked Medium ones.

Well, being linked under them now, I can say that they really don’t seem to coordinate, with themselves or others.

Yeah this. T4 is about as I remembered it and db is fitting right in atm.

in WvW

Posted by: Aitadis.8269

Aitadis.8269

Nope, I have more faith in system indicator than human estimation, afterall, majority people can’t differentiate between 20ish from 30ish and so on. Also. HOD remains medium despite having larger EU, again, system status indicator. It is simple to say that HOD has a lot more regular wvwers and commanders on average than other T4 servers, keeping the server afloat despite lesser overall numbers.

Regardless, now we entering weekdays, DB is catching up in PPT, demonstrating their higher coverage aka higher overall populations. I was not wrong about DB links having much more, I am not wrong to find such linking logically absurd. I don’t have to see how it will go in weekdays because the logic is already that absurd.

You didn’t train nobody because you refused to work with anyone from sf. There’s only 5 English speaking guilds in sf and we can all confirm cd never even tried to talk to us. You’re not just bad commanders. Because now you’re lying to our faces.
And that’s saying a lot coming from the server of guilds that can’t even fight RED without booking it before killing them. Stay in your lane.

Maybe you guys could actually achieve something if your server wasn’t so busy always talking trash on forums.

No worries, I have a few CDers that added me into their friend list. They blocked me the moment I whisper them for politely asking them to join HOD, in fact, only CD peeps ever blocked me for that. Really rude individuals, especially if you think about the fact that they are the one that added you into their friendlist. Totally reminds me why I get my guild to leave CD.

And nothing of value was lost.

Illusionary Mesmer
[oof] Crystal Desert

in WvW

shiri.4257

Most of the SF guilds were cool to run with, we learned a bit they learned a bit. We loved the south americans, i miss them very much. Was fun learning spanish/portuguese over team chat.

However, CD’s greatest achievement was making “Kota Stack” a gw2 international sensation.

To my SF comrades- remember to ask team chat before you raid this question. That is where you need to be, not empty doors.
“Dondes estan las chicas?”

~Kasumei/Machiato

in WvW

SkyShroud.2865

And nothing of value was lost.

If that’s what you believe and that helps you sleep at night, is all cool.

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Ni In.6578

Ni In.6578

Followed you around for 30-45 mins one night and all you did was cap a camp and kept telling guildies to “KOTA STACK”

LOL that sounds like something we would do. Just remember when you see us on the battlefield again….

KOTA STACK!

WvW Rank – keeps going up
Server: Crystal Desert (so toxic!) | “Make CD DVD Again”
Guilds: [VII] – They let me claim stuff