World Population Changes Are Coming

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Wonder how anet count players who play only when their server winning. Just delete all servers and make new ones.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Darcy.1238

Darcy.1238

Sounds like a good change. Can’t wait to see how it evolves. Thank you for letting us know so we can discuss it.

Level 80 Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Victim.3016

Victim.3016

I would maybe think about buying the expansion if there was a free transfer weekend or something, the thought of buying the expansion to find myself on a dead wvw server and not only having to grind for the gear I didn’t finish but also for transfer fee… ugg. PvP where did you go?

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Now we know the real reason for the golem event was to get good data on WvW population levels by disrupting them!!!!!!!!

I’m looking forward to this change. Who will remain full? Who will open up?

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

If NA is smart, it’ll take this opportunity to emulate EU and spread out for the fights — not the blue ribbon (which is meaningless now).

Just because Anet made 24 NA worlds at launch doesn’t mean it’s the correct division of players for today’s game population. People like fights of varying volumes of players. For me, fights are the most fun with high volume and full maps. So going to a higher Tier is better. If you like smaller scale then you can go a bit lower tiered. Spreading out evenly will more than likely make a lack luster experience for most. This change of taking into account the actual game modes population will help players find the experience they prefer.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

But because World versus World is the only game mode to which worlds apply these days, we have developed a better model that exclusively uses WvW data to determine population levels and transfer costs.

Nice… speaking of which is the “Guest” button even doing anything these days, if so what…

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

If NA is smart, it’ll take this opportunity to emulate EU and spread out for the fights — not the blue ribbon (which is meaningless now).

Just because Anet made 24 NA worlds at launch doesn’t mean it’s the correct division of players for today’s game population. People like fights of varying volumes of players. For me, fights are the most fun with high volume and full maps. So going to a higher Tier is better. If you like smaller scale then you can go a bit lower tiered. Spreading out evenly will more than likely make a lack luster experience for most. This change of taking into account the actual game modes population will help players find the experience they prefer.

It’s actually a fantastic way to ensure guilds stick together by giving them something to focus on/do. If you are facing new enemy servers each week, you get to face different guilds and test out your stuff vs them. That constant rotation, because of a close glicko (which would take a couple months to achieve in NA, but is doable), means more variety in matches and more challenges … which ultimately leads to improvement in skill.

I completely understand about liking massive scale fights. They can be fun, and they are not the cup of tea of everyone. But as a guild, if I was looking at maintaining a future and a robust roster on GW2, I’d look to move to a different server — if only to present more challenges for my guildmates. And I’d coordinate with other big guilds to make sure we all spread out so those challenges continued each week.

Whether your server is 1st or 8th spot, it doesn’t really matter much anymore. What matters is keeping your guild (and you) engaged.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

I would maybe think about buying the expansion if there was a free transfer weekend or something, the thought of buying the expansion to find myself on a dead wvw server and not only having to grind for the gear I didn’t finish but also for transfer fee… ugg. PvP where did you go?

This only affects WvW populations, the PVE and PVP population may still be high and if not its tide to Megaservers.

in WvW

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

Will there be a period of free or very low cost transfers to allow for a slight rebalance of population etc?

Will there be any free transfers, for example to the bottom 3 servers?

There is no plan to change the price per population tier at the moment. We’ll be looking closely at how players are moving/joining World, however. The goal is a better balance, but not a too sudden disruption either.

good to hear, thank you for taking the time to do this right instead of rushing something out.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in WvW

Posted by: Teevell.1684

Teevell.1684

Glad to hear it.

Also want to point out that when devs talk to the player base, the response is primarily positive. Thanks for the communication, it is appreciated.

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

Are we going back to monthly server match ups like before?

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

in WvW

Posted by: omica.6548

omica.6548

Thank You. About Time. A little to late for DB as this was the exact cause of 200 people leaving DB for HOD, to get away from the full status. We still have the full status on DB making it a pain to recruit. Hopefully this will help.

GOTL – DragonBrand
Ranger, Thief and Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: Tranquillity.8697

Tranquillity.8697

It’s a nice idea but i honestly can’t see how this helps unpopulated wvw servers.

With the new system it will be even more obvious what the “best” wvw servers are and winning team joiners will join them no matter the cost.

Merging servers alongside with this change would make things better i think. At least when talking about population.

[Elona Reach]

in WvW

Posted by: Sus.3610

Sus.3610

How do you think this will impact the already dying servers? When the higher tier servers open up, do you expect our lower tier servers to lose even more? The 5 people left on the T8 servers are surely already considering transfer. If they had their pick without any caps, what would be someone’s incentive to stay and keep those last few servers with any PPT at all? Would having the T8 people transfer be beneficial to the game?

I can see how this is good, but I can also see how it could easily help already thriving servers, but could hurt the ones struggling the most.

Barricka
Leader of [GIT] Git Off My Lawn
Devona’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

This is exemplary news. I have been trending negative lately with my posts, but this statement makes me have some hope.

in WvW

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

Do the new calculations include people who only pop in to get the daily as being part of the WvW population?

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

in WvW

Posted by: Paranormal Bear.2539

Paranormal Bear.2539

A good suggestion for dying (low-tier) servers is to merge their population & name the new server into something different.

A LOT of Korean MMO’s are known to merge clusters/servers when population gets too low for any competition to be held there. Doing this will give lower tier players new match-ups and establish new camaraderie for the WvW environment.

Guild Master – Engineer Bear of Teddy Bears [PAWS].
Come join us in our FA Bear Invasion!
http://toygamers.forumotion.com

in WvW

Chaba.5410

When the higher tier servers open up, do you expect our lower tier servers to lose even more?

When a server has large queues during X timezone, it will most likely stay “full”. There is no guarantee that this change is going to open up higher tier servers.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs

in WvW

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

It’s a nice idea but i honestly can’t see how this helps unpopulated wvw servers.

With the new system it will be even more obvious what the “best” wvw servers are and winning team joiners will join them no matter the cost.

Merging servers alongside with this change would make things better i think. At least when talking about population.

I would expect some of the higher tier servers that are “very high” now to go “full” also, if they maintain pricing then “very high” 1800 gems, “high” 1000 gems, and “medium” 500 gems. We should see a fair number of medium servers in the T4-T6 and at 500 gems that might be an interesting place to go for some larger guilds…

in WvW

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

That won’t happen on NA… too many bandwagon guilds.

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Leopardclaw.4258

Leopardclaw.4258

Tyvm for this, Anet

Pugmander & Altaholic | CoSA Blue | Youtube
Asheni Leopardclaw | SBI | SF | Asheni Leopardclaws

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

You underestimate the effects of a high ping.
I have been on NA and wouldn’t go back there because of the ping.

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

I think the whole server thing should dissapear

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

I’m rather surprised but still….thank you very much

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in WvW

Posted by: Zolazie Grengche.3051

Zolazie Grengche.3051

Fellow Warriors of the Mists,

World population is visible on the labels on the World Selection and Transfer screen. It determines whether you can transfer to a world and, if you can, how much the transfer will cost. These measures historically have been set based on aggregate population levels around all game modes. But because World versus World is the only game mode to which worlds apply these days, we have developed a better model that exclusively uses WvW data to determine population levels and transfer costs.

We will be rolling out the new model soon and some shifts in the population levels should be expected. We’ll continue to monitor the situation, and we’ll make all adjustments we deem necessary to improve the WvW experience. As always, your feedback is very welcome.

See you in the Mists,
— Samuel

Awesome! Thank You!

Heing [foxy] Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

Thank You. About Time. A little to late for DB as this was the exact cause of 200 people leaving DB for HOD, to get away from the full status. We still have the full status on DB making it a pain to recruit. Hopefully this will help.

Yeah, i’m hoping that it helps as well. DB hasn’t exactly been the best to do any kind of WvW stuff on lately lol.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

You underestimate the effects of a high ping.
I have been on NA and wouldn’t go back there because of the ping.

Yes, oddly, I live in EST zone (NA) and I find my ping better on my EU account than my NA account for some reason. I have no idea why.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Michael.1493

Michael.1493

I’m very happy to hear this.

Glad that Anet are engaging with the WvW community and putting plans in action to improve the experience for those of us who love this game mode.

Well done! and thanks very much!

in WvW

Posted by: Luvbunny.1620

Luvbunny.1620

please monitor this when you implement and don’t be afraid to lower caps right away so balance is acheived… otherwise overstacking will lead to lots of queues etc

in WvW

Posted by: Frostistix.2541

Frostistix.2541

I really hope this helps with the lack of fights and action in lower tiers.

in WvW

Chaba.5410

Yes, oddly, I live in EST zone (NA) and I find my ping better on my EU account than my NA account for some reason. I have no idea why.

Time Warner.

But seriously, I live on the West Coast and have to use a VPN into New York to get playable EU pings because routing across the continental US sucks for some reason. Get packet loss even.

Chaba Tangnu

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

My ping is at ~25 from EU on EU (or rather ~50 in game as the game counts back and forth)
I think it was around 150+ last time I have been to NA – I don’t really want that again ;)

(edited by Jana.6831)

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

This is long long overdue.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Buy Some Apples.6390

Buy Some Apples.6390

So after a week of complaining about the golem farce, we get a post about changing transfer costs!

If PvE players have no need to pay to play on active world instances, neither should WvW players!

Transfer costs should be removed completely!

Complained about WvW before it became cool.
I used to be a PvE player like you, then I played Guild Wars 2

in WvW

Posted by: DomAltares.8651

DomAltares.8651

Will there be a period of free or very low cost transfers to allow for a slight rebalance of population etc?

Will there be any free transfers, for example to the bottom 3 servers?

There is no plan to change the price per population tier at the moment. We’ll be looking closely at how players are moving/joining World, however. The goal is a better balance, but not a too sudden disruption either.

We certainly can’t have guilds moving around, disrupting things too suddenly. Sudden disruptions are reserved for when Anet wants to turn World v World into Rock ’Em Sock ’Em Robots for a week.

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

We certainly can’t have guilds moving around, disrupting things too suddenly. Sudden disruptions are reserved for when Anet wants to turn World v World into Rock ’Em Sock ’Em Robots for a week.

Do you seriously compare a single week (that after said week is over will in no way or form effect the game mode) with 10 guilds suddenly joining another server?

Moving servers does tend to have much more long-term effects after all.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: BackDraft.4291

BackDraft.4291

Hip Hip Hurray!!

We been heard!

in WvW

Posted by: Luvbunny.1620

Luvbunny.1620

All you people complaining about lag… Atleast you don’t have the lag anet has… Only took 3 years for a suggestion from launch to be implemented!

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Fellow Warriors of the Mists,

World population is visible on the labels on the World Selection and Transfer screen. It determines whether you can transfer to a world and, if you can, how much the transfer will cost. These measures historically have been set based on aggregate population levels around all game modes. But because World versus World is the only game mode to which worlds apply these days, we have developed a better model that exclusively uses WvW data to determine population levels and transfer costs.

We will be rolling out the new model soon and some shifts in the population levels should be expected. We’ll continue to monitor the situation, and we’ll make all adjustments we deem necessary to improve the WvW experience. As always, your feedback is very welcome.

See you in the Mists,
— Samuel

Hello Samuel

It is indeed great to hear, however, some questions arise in my mind with this announcement. It took you only how long since the very first CDI in which this was mentioned to finally see this as part of the improvement in this situation ?

And why and how did it take so long ?

Are we looking at another few years before transfer costs are determined / adjusted per servers WvWvW population levels ?

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

(edited by Tongku.5326)

in WvW

Posted by: timmay.2613

timmay.2613

So…. new WvW Tournament confirmed?

in WvW

Posted by: Silverthorn.8576

Silverthorn.8576

OMFG, so much latency!

in WvW

Posted by: Dano.5298

Dano.5298

Eredon Terrace will be t1 within the week!

Hype!

Ev
[SQD]

in WvW

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

As long as Anet doesn’t intend on making every server equivalent in terms on WvW population then I don’t think there’s a problem. There’s only so many people that care about WvW and trying to force them to spread out between all servers is never going to work. The people that care more for WvW will always gravitate toward the top servers.

… I still want tengu.

in WvW

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

It is all fun and games until you log on one day and get the message, ’300 people from (Insert your Server name here) have already logged in and claimed this as their home Server. Please Select a new server from the list of Available Servers.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

It is all fun and games until you log on one day and get the message, ’300 people from (Insert your Server name here) have already logged in and claimed this as their home Server. Please Select a new server from the list of Available Servers.

You got that from the anet post?

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

MORE INFO FROM ANET

From Reddit : More Info

• anet_samuel 45 points 6 hours ago
    Just to clarify: the changes that are coming are on which population level each server has. The transfer price per population level (Medium, High, Very High, etc.) will stay the same.

EzJester 19 points 6 hours ago
I think I’m re-confused. What determines population for a server is going to be WvW data ONLY now (which may cause some servers to change population tiers.). The price to move to each population tier is unchanged. Right?
permalinksaveparentreportgive goldreply

• anet_samuel 25 points 6 hours ago
    Correct.

[–]Lksaar[Nix] on MS/[FNG] on YB 6 points 6 hours ago
Will this be a weekly average or changes based on how many ppl are currently playing/logged in?

• anet_samuel 25 points 6 hours ago
    The new method isn’t based on players currently playing or logged in. It looks at the active WvW population over a period of time.

[–]Lksaar[Nix] on MS/[FNG] on YB 5 points 6 hours ago
Is thatperiod of time timezone agnostic (a whole day?) or even matchup agnostic (more than a week?)

• anet_samuel 29 points 6 hours ago
    It looks at a period long enough to smooth out rapidly changing artifacts like timezones or matchups.

[–]SmellySushi 1 point 4 hours ago
What happens when a server “blackout” or “Hibernates” for an extended period of time to stack more players onto it?

• anet_samuel 10 points 3 hours ago
    Some servers will get their population level increased, some will have it decrease. I don’t want to get into too many details before the change is release, because I don’t want to trigger mass-migrations now. People can be weird.
    No, EotM won’t be counted towards WvW. I don’t think it’s the same experience, and you can always enter it since it can have as many instances as needed, so there’s really not that same population problem as in “core” WvW.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3eh64z/changes_coming_to_transfer_cost_calculations/

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Posted by: Notsoperky.4291

Notsoperky.4291

Take the opportunity to close the bottom dozen ‘servers’ by offering them a choice of new homes in the next tiers up- that’s the fastest way to get more balance in the servers, as currently there are too many servers for a game mode that has been allowed to wither away for so long.

Whilst this minor change is welcome, a lot more actual work is required on wvw to make it an attractive game mode and to swing the participation numbers up.

in WvW

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

I don’t get why they post more info on reddit. I don’t even go to that website. Anyways thanks for linking it here.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

in WvW

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Take the opportunity to close the bottom dozen ‘servers’ by offering them a choice of new homes in the next tiers up- that’s the fastest way to get more balance in the servers, as currently there are too many servers for a game mode that has been allowed to wither away for so long.

Whilst this minor change is welcome, a lot more actual work is required on wvw to make it an attractive game mode and to swing the participation numbers up.

Why not close the top dozen servers? Seeing as they have the most players? Stop trying to close my server lol

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

in WvW

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

I don’t get why they post more info on reddit. I don’t even go to that website. Anyways thanks for linking it here.

LOL… they do it all the time. Makes you wonder why they even bother to expense themselves with maintaining their own forums.

(edited by Hexalot.8194)