WvW players is mean?

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

Been playing WvW pretty heavily the previous 5-6 weeks and my experience with WvW players has been very positive. I’ve had maybe a dozen or so whispers over that time-frame and only one was from an obnoxious 14 year old (enemy) who I eventually had to block.

Everything else was very friendly and that’s even counting the several whispers from enemy players wanting duels, congratulating me on a victory or just letting me know they’re reading a newspaper.

That being said there will always be somebody who has anger issues or doesn’t know how to deliver constructive and friendly criticism in all walks of life. I usually see it in dungeons with pugs but you know that’s what the block feature is for!

OP, follow the wise advice from Snowreap and others. If mentored or experienced than being an uplevel in WvW can be a good thing. Play and have fun:D

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

(edited by Bandit.8279)

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: that baby stealing dingo.7216

that baby stealing dingo.7216

My friend joined GW2 couple of days and he joined WvW at lvl 23.

And after 30m some player had whispered “F Noob get out of WvW!!”…..

This is usual situation to the noob in WVW?

Yes, you will encounter some mean, nasty and verbally abusive players in WvW, and some of those players will look down on you if you’re up-leveled. I would not call it “the usual situation” but I’ve witnessed it. It is unfortunate and – as another poster has pointed out – sometimes amounts to bullying.

The goods news is this: Your friend can select that individual’s name, right click, and then “Report” and “Block.” Now it’s the other guy’s problem, not your friend’s problem.

On a related note, the only way to learn WvW is to play it. I’ve spent a lot of time in WvW as an up-level, and contributed in a lot of ways that sometimes don’t even involve combat. There is scouting, upgrading, supply running, boon support, you name it. EotM is a good way to level, but it will not teach you much about WvW.

Respect other players and ignore the disrespectful players, and ask for help in chat if you need to. You will find good players that appreciate your help and will teach. A good WvW will tell you how you can help the group, regardless of your level, class, etc.

I have a sword, a dagger, and an estimated life span of 2.47 seconds.

(edited by that baby stealing dingo.7216)

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

I do get annoyed if 5 downed enemies get rallied because someone else died.
But if it’s an up-level character (or anyone else), I’m not going to tell them to get out of WvW. You have to learn someday, whether because it’s your first character or because you are playing a new class.

Generally players get annoyed by up-levels when the server isn’t doing too good. They want other players to play at their best potential. But being an kitten about it won’t help and in the worst case, it will simply drive away other players from WvW.

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

rule is, if u are uplevel try to stay on siege if in a keep or tower fight..dont follow untagged guild groups, dont follow guild groups. if u die and rally the enemy, yes it can cause people to lose the fight cause of u rallying them. but im against whispering nasty things cause everyone has the right to be in wvw and yes u will die a lot at first, but thats part of improving. try to find some nice people to group up with and im sure wvw will be fun

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: LeCreaux.3087

LeCreaux.3087

Doesn’t matter if you’re level 80 or not, there’s rude players in WvW. I had a player initiate a whisper conversation with me just tonight about joining his WvW guild. When I told him it depended on whether his guild is friendly and cooperative he started insulting me for caring about that in WvW. Of course I care about that in all parts of the game. At least he answered the question, whether he intended to or not. Blocked and reported.

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: Nanyetah Elohi.4852

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

fights at the high end of wvw can be pretty hard. Uplevels get killed right away and allow the enemy to rally. It can be a problem. The other problem with new players is they often don’t know how important communications between the zerg and commander are. They think they can just follow the tag on the map like eotm. WvW is much more complicated.

For the Toast!

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: Nanyetah Elohi.4852

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

the movements are very specific, you need to call your casts and hear everything. Some commanders will deliberately kill players who are not in voice communications, and everyone who is will laugh about it.

For the Toast!

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: LeCreaux.3087

LeCreaux.3087

Some commanders will deliberately kill players who are not in voice communications, and everyone who is will laugh about it.

That’s the kind of thing that goes on in every MMO. I play a lot of MMOs and usually in the high end PvP, I’ve never understood why some players are hostile to even friendlies and devs. In this game some of those players buy tags. Anybody can drive a zerg around, but I drop out when I see a “commander” do something like that. I served on active duty for three decades, lost count of the operations, and that’s no commander I’d listen to.

Here’s what I’d do if I only wanted voice chat in my group…I’d say so. Then I’d warn players that they’re likely to get left and die if they’re not on chat. But running them into the enemy and then teleporting is over the line.

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

WvW is a competative game mode. It would be best to expect players with a highly competative mindset. i know very frustrated competative players can be prone to angry outbursts.

As mentioned, they key thing is a death, for your friend, might not seem like a big deal, but if enemy troops are rallying from it, you are creating a major problem. This is especially problematic while roaming with havoc squads and guild groups.

also, although this may not be the case for your friends server,but its a big no no to play up level in gold league, and perhaps high tier silver leaque servers, not only beacuse of the reason above, but you are also taking up the spot in que that a more experienced, veteran WVW player could have taken. Of course your friend is technically free to do this, but he should know that, mush like the comment that was directed at him, playing an uplevel poorly in such high level of competative play, AND beimg innexperienced is also very rude and direspectful to those who wish to properly compete.

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

It’s WvW, completely messed up, unbalanced, and all kinds of broken. There is nothing competitive about it . Bringing an uplevel isn’t going to change anything in converagewars2. I normally report and block @holes like that and keep going on my merry way. New players have every right to be on the borderlands with unfinished toons, the so called veterans will just have to suck it up and live with. There is so little tolerance for new people, you’d think we were playing with spoiled entitled 12 year olds.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

wvw is kinda the end game .
u can go in at any lvl u want. i lvled 3 characters in wvw

but dont be surprised if u get killed wvw players are looking for a fight

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

While I don’t openly complain about uplevels, I also take the first chance I can get to distance myself from them. I wish rally from downed wasn’t in the game but since it is I am always going to avoid players that are more hindrance than help.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: TechGreek.7430

TechGreek.7430

I’m new to WvW, and I’m not level 80 yet I’ve had no issues figuring out where to stay and keep my place at (upgrades, scouting/guard, sentry caps, ruin caps, etc.) – do you still consider me a problem? I hope one could not be that ignorant but this is the internet after all…

To say that an up level is worthless and insult he/she is the most ludicrous thing I’ve heard; sure, you don’t have end game gear/stats but there are still plenty of things that can help support – can you lead the pack? Of course not! That up-leveler may have the gold you don’t want to spend on upgrading the areas you hold, they may have the blue prints (or even the supplies you ran out of) you need to finish taking down a location, they may be able to earn you blood lust, etc.

The game actively encourages you to join WvW before 80 – hence the up-level. If they didn’t want you to they would disable it. If you don’t want them there, stomp your little boots in the game and whisper some more hatred to get ignored/reported or put on your big boy pants, get a job at Arenanet and make the change yourself. You could whisper as much hatred to me as you want for being in there since it’s enabled for me to be in there I have no issues being there, in the end I’ll just report you and block you.

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

WvW competitive, really? Have I gone back in time?
You’re better off hopping into EoTM as an uplevel, unless people know who you are.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

The problem the OP is highlighting is the fact that some uplevels think they are still in pve and just charge in thinking they will be fine and everyone will save them, are instantly downed, become rallybait, then shout in all chat asking for a res, moan about not being ressed, finally portal res, run back to the fight and repeat their step one.

Generally these people will be whispered and told they would be better off in EOTM. In a close match up they are taking the space of a level 80, besides which, they will level up much faster in EOTM than they ever will in main EOTM.

I’ve seen, been, and played with some excellent upscaleds who know their limitations and even been last man standing in a fight when my ele was around 50, so it is possible to be valuable s long as you are using the right class. It’s also helpful if you are on voice comms!

If you’re bringing an upscaled, then know your position and know the things that you can do that are useful to your server- generally these things won’t earn you much experience or karma, so unless you are there purely for the fun of playing wvw you really would be better off levelling in EOTM and then coming back next week as an 80.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

People who demand res’s and don’t run back, and just die instantly are a problem in all game modes. And yes you would deserve flack for it; however there is no level requirement for entering wvw and if the intended behavior truly is to “eotm until 80” then I would suggest they either fixed the level scaling (that compensates for the kitten traits uplevels now have) or just not allow them in at all. Until then, “EOTM until 80” has no meaning to me, even though I will begrudgingly level my toon there if needed.

But yes, regardless of 80 or not, it is important to be aware of what situations you may effect. Blatantly telling people to leave is bad, because you may have scared away future 80s who might have helped you had they been given the time to learn. Most people were noobs once, and many still are. Being 80 doesn’t remove that; it just makes you a noob with a higher potential.

I’m glad they’re finally dealing with the rallybotting situation where defeated players won’t rally tons of people. Having a situation where people can provide massively negative contributions is simply toxic and unfun.

Although uplevels are a liability in small scale fights, they often usually die instantly so it is rare they rally anyone, really unless they come in and stupidly join in the middle of a fight. But if I do that, might as well blame those full pvt no support no damage toons that are out just to tag as many kills as possible who don’t have the decency to die at the start but eventually so due because they do not work with the group in regards to position or anything really without contributing anything so they rally enemies when it matters the most.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

Yes. Why? Because you are not level 80, you are so much more easier to kill by enemies.
If you are easier to kill, it means any downed enemies will be rallied faster, meaning more work for the rest of the group who have to kill them again.

Except that the opposing side will also have their share of up-leveled players so it’s simplistic to view this as a detriment to one-side and not the other.

Additionally, it’s highly unlikely that ANY fight will be overturned due to a RALLY, not saying it can’t happen but that is something far more likely to happen in a closed PvP environment like matches.

Also, if up-leveled players are so weak, then maybe ANet needs to address that as an issue, they did design it so any level player can participate, after all.

Also consider that players of whatever experience are not running around with a full compliment of Trait Points and Traits anymore which makes for a much wider gap between level 80 and up-level players.

Thank you ANet!

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: johnnymiller.5968

johnnymiller.5968

Yes it happens. To my thinking, by players taking the game too seriously. All players were new to the world vs world format at some stage. Being new means a learning curve.

Remember well joining world vs world for the first time. Helping to defend Stonemist castle. Part of the outer wall was down, so I proceeded to start repairing. A group of players advised me to not repair the wall, which would have been fine without the verbal abuse thrown.
In the end I told one particular player to take a hike.
Guiding new players is one thing, deciding to abuse them is another.

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

For the most part, if you’re a new player, as long as you’re not refusing to respawn when double downed, running into a push with the frontliners on a squishy uplevel backliner (and thus being a perfect example of rallybait) and insta-downing, or kittening about dying, most people won’t care that you’re on an uplevel.

I have seen commanders get annoyed when half or more of the group is uplevels though, and that is understandable. 20 uplevels come nowhere close to being as effective as 20 geared 80s, so it does make a difference if you have too many, but this doesn’t happen often.

Just so long as a new player actually makes an effort to learn positioning/situational skill usage, they can still be useful on uplevels, and can start learning how to be effective before they even hit 80…which, in my opinion, is better than someone PvEing to 80 and then trying to facesmash their keyboard in WvW zerg fights since they have no idea what their skills actually do in a non-PvE environment. I’ve seen plenty of 80s that are more rallybot-ish than some of the new players that come in.

That said, if your borderlands is queued and there’s a massive fight going on at your garri, which you’re close to losing in an outnumbered fight…it’s probably better if you sit that one out. Otherwise, it really shouldn’t matter, so long as you play smart.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

When you have this happen to you, not once, but every single time you play against Fort Aspenwood – guilds who know who I am and quite literally have been reported for saying the most vile of things and then they make sure they disgrace themselves without penalty, no honor whatsoever, please understand that I am not the only one this is happening to, and no I am not necro posting, my computer died for two plus months and I just found this two plus weeks back into the game.

Bullying is happening on all sides, enemies I can understand it, I get it, hate the Ranger, but when it’s your own side, speaking in vile terms in TeamSpeak so that you can never set “foot” in there and the gossip train runs over many, it’s a thing that is gaining attention on twitter about twitter allowing the nastiness to go on without infractions.

Well, how about infracting some of the most vile of persons out there in WvW…
They have no honor and don’t have any right to malign players whom they “dislike” because someone told them something about someone they have never met in real life.

Being kind to new players is just a gamer’s dream come true, someone chose YOUR game and YOUR server and even if they aren’t perfect, they are another great addition to the end game that matters more than spvp or anything pve can come up with.

Attachments:

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

(edited by atheria.2837)

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: Ultimaistanza.4793

Ultimaistanza.4793

The game actively encourages you to join WvW before 80 – hence the up-level. If they didn’t want you to they would disable it.

I wouldn’t exactly say that. The fact that you’re uplvl isn’t really encouraging you to be in WvW before 80, it’s compromising because ANet doesn’t want to bar off one of the three pillars of this game. With that, they know that if they didn’t scale people’s lvls and stats up then there would be so much more rage because of the people with like 600hp dying to like a single auto attack. In fact, you could argue ANet is trying to discourage you from being on a low level by restricting the information about WvW and access to the standard WvW panel until you’re around lvl 18 or so.

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

When you have this happen to you, not once, but every single time you play against Fort Aspenwood – guilds who know who I am and quite literally have been reported for saying the most vile of things and then they make sure they disgrace themselves without penalty, no honor whatsoever, please understand that I am not the only one this is happening to, and no I am not necro posting, my computer died for two plus months and I just found this two plus weeks back into the game.

Bullying is happening on all sides, enemies I can understand it, I get it, hate the Ranger, but when it’s your own side, speaking in vile terms in TeamSpeak so that you can never set “foot” in there and the gossip train runs over many, it’s a thing that is gaining attention on twitter about twitter allowing the nastiness to go on without infractions.

They have no honor and don’t have any right to malign players whom they “dislike” because someone told them something about someone they have never met in real life.

Being kind to new players is just a gamer’s dream come true, someone chose YOUR game and YOUR server and even if they aren’t perfect, they are another great addition to the end game that matters more than spvp or anything pve can come up with.

LOL

Getting siege thrown on you is normal.

Compare with this “finisher” an FA player received: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXmNI-OpMvc

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: Ultimaistanza.4793

Ultimaistanza.4793

It’s WvW, completely messed up, unbalanced, and all kinds of broken. There is nothing competitive about it .

The same can be said for PvP, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not competitive. You may not like it or view it that way, but by default it is a competitive game mode.

Bringing an uplevel isn’t going to change anything in converagewars2.

Actually it can change things. It only takes 1 person to rally a zerg and just 1 lost fight can give a group the leverage to flip a structure with upgrades to make it rougher for your server later when trying to either re-upgrade that structure or defend as the enemy wedge themselves more and more into your corner. With that, because of the way the lvl and trait systems work now, up lvls will automatically not have access to grandmaster traits and potentially not have a lot of their other traits unlocked either. This makes them such a bigger target for enemies to focus down.

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

that name piper sounds awfully familiar…

[SA]

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: funassistant.6589

funassistant.6589

Hm, seems your problem is that you share a server with Americans. Come to EU we don’t mind upscaled players.

Team Africa [TA]
European Overlord

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

This is a phenomenon in MMOs that I’ve always found both amusing and disturbing. What is a MMO? It’s a video game. And what is a video game? A form of entertainment. It’s not a competitive sport. No one’s getting any shoe deals or million dollar contracts, or even a trophy, or really any kind of prize whatsoever. There’s nothing for winning, and not a whole lot of penalty for losing. It’s pretty close to watching TV, only….. you press more buttons. There’s not a sane person on the planet who would yell and insult someone for not watching reruns of Seinfeld the right way.

What it all boils down to is ego. Some people live vicariously though video games, and take them waaaaaaay too seriously. They’re called addicts. They need psychiatric help, not excuses being made for them. So someone came in on a low level character and got killed, and that caused the other server to rally and the fight to change momentum. Oh well. Suck it up. It’s a video game. It’s not serious business. It’s a leisure time activity.

That’s not to say that people shouldn’t want to try to improve, and learn strategies, and encourage others to do so, and be willing to teach what you know. That’s been a part of healthy gaming since the beginning. Even Pong had strategies that people would try to learn and share with each other. People got better at the game, and enjoyed getting better at the game. The people who were abusive found that no one wanted to play with them, so they ended up having to adjust their attitudes.

Frustration happens, sure. It’s natural. But when things reach a boiling point, it’s important that those frustrations don’t spill over onto other people. And it’s never cool to be a jerk from the get go because you’re afraid one of the “unwashed plebes” may not treat a video game as though it’s a second job, or try to base their life’s worth around success and failure in said video game.

As someone mentioned earlier, being polite is free. It doesn’t cost anything. The only thing it requires is a bit of patience and decency. If someone’s not capable of that, especially if they want to use the “it’s the internet/it’s a video game” excuse, they really really should just take themselves out of the gene pool. Because all they’re doing is polluting it.

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: Samis.1750

Samis.1750

As others have mentioned, an uplevel can rally the enemy and cause your side to lose the fight.

It is also worse for an uplevel than it was in the past. Previously, you would unlock all your traits earlier. Now they are packed into the later levels.

Players are also stronger. Today, pretty much everybody has exotic weapons, and a large proportion have ascended gear.

Also, when I started the fights seemed to be more skirmish-like. Now with the GWEN hammer train meta it’s tough to hang back and do your thing. Even pugmanders charge the enemy which makes the upleveled player more vulnerable.

Tarnished Coast

WvW players is mean?

in WvW

Posted by: rashkin.9530

rashkin.9530

Compare with this “finisher” an FA player received: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXmNI-OpMvc

It took me about 3 minutes to be convinced those [gggg] guys are Mag transfers the first time we were matched up against IoJ.