Put your Anet hat on and imagine you were writing the WvW patch notes of your dreams. Here’s mine:
Since the only real reason to transfer servers is for WvW, we’ve decided to incorporate the server’s Glicko score into the transfer cost, as well as the player’s individual WvW experience:
cost = max(serverGlicko – 1000,0) x 2 + playerWXP x 5
This means a PvEr can transfer to a T8 server for potentially nothing, while experienced WvWers looking at T1 will have to fork out as much as 3000 gems to get there. The idea is to break up the existing numerical logjam in the upper tiers and try to spread people around the servers a bit better.
We are also going to increase the time between point ticks during off-hours. From midnight to 6am server time, point ticks will be 30 minutes apart instead of the usual 15. This change is specifically aimed at nerfing servers that specialise in nightcapping. You may own the majority of territory during that time, but you’ll get fewer points for it since it takes you less effort to hold it during that time.
Commander tags are in for an overhaul. We are refunding everyone the 100g for their existing commander tags, and replacing them with WvW-specific ones that cost 2000 badges instead. PvErs can still buy a PvE-only tag for 100 gold if they wish, but instead of a blue dorito, theirs looks more like a pink taco.
Other changes we’re bringing in:
- For every player in excess of the first 25 in the vicinity (the same vicinity that calculates orange swords), all players in that vicinity lose 1% on all their stats. Zerging should be a last resort, not the first.
- Golems are now limited to 5 per type per side per map. You can still golem rush, you just can’t be kittened about it anymore.
- We’ve removed the unique names from all towers and camps and replaced them with generic names based on cardinal directions. Nobody was using them anyway.
- All siege within the walls of a tower or keep can now be refreshed by talking to the claim lord NPC. Siege refreshed in this way will persist for 3 hours instead of 1.
- Damaged siege can now be repaired with supply.
- The 30 second contested delay has been removed from camps. They were just too easy to flip.
- Repel events have been added to the daily achievement rotation. Defenders are people, too.
- When a player takes part in successfuly capturing a camp, all enemy NPCs at all other camps on the map become invulnerable to that player for a minimum of 5 minutes. This is to discourage roamers who do nothing but flip camps round and round for hours on end. Seriously, is your life that dull?
- /team chat now has an MOTD feature. This message can be set by any commander, and it will appear to any player as soon as they load on a WvW map, repeating every hour on borderlands maps and every 15 minutes on EBG; they need the extra reminding there.
- Players gain one free WXP re-spec with every 10 WXP ranks they gain. We realise the WXP system was pretty dumb in retrospect, but it’s too late now; at least players can now make the best of it as they see fit.
- The dolyak escort at NE camp now actually works 100% of the time.
- All dolyak escorts increase in level for each person attacking them. They will also no longer despawn if their dolyak dies before they do, but instead gain another 3 levels and will chase their attackers.
- Swiftness from Temporal Curtain now stacks with other sources of swiftness. We didn’t fix this earlier because it goes against our policy of nerfing mesmers with every patch, but we finally ran out of things to nerf.
Finally, what would an Anet patch be without some useless fluff? New titles are also on their way, now with an added twist. These titles are earned by performing certain actions in WvW, and will display on your character for the next 7 days and cannot be removed. Amongst others, they include:
- participating in a fight involving 50 or more players and winning: “Zerg buster”.
- participating in a fight involving 50 or more players and losing: “Roflstomped”.
- using 5 or more emotes within 60 seconds: “Emo”.
- using a treb on Bay from SW tower: “Boring”.
- spending more than an hour inside SW tower: “Burger eater”.
- receive free supply from Siegerazer: “Lazy”.
- warriors who escape combat using a greatsword: “kitten”.
These titles also stack, so it will be possible to become a “Boring Roflstomped Emo kitten”.