2500 points @ 25-75 points a game

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

The sheer fact of the matter is it’s pretty obvious the designer has a MASSIVE EGO PROBLEM and wants people to play an inordinate amount of times through his minigame.

Same kind of punk designer with an ego who can’t bear to know that his content got beat so he stealth buffs it in a patch to make it harder.

Every other temp achievement in the game can be done in no more than about 20 matches. Southsun survivor? At least 33 matches, probably more than 50 for most people. You have an August 6th deadline, so basically the egotistical kitten of a designer wanted to make sure people had to squeeze as much of his minigame in as possible rather than relying on people simply playing it because they enjoy it.

Remove your ego, keep your players in mind. Thanks.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

I do hate the fact its 2500 pts but at least its mildly entertaining

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

in Cutthroat Politics

Devildoc.6721

I do hate the fact its 2500 pts but at least its mildly entertaining

I might actually enjoy it if it wasn’t so grindy for that achievement. But I can’t enjoy it, watching just how many games of it I’ll have to play to get it with a deadline hanging over my head for it. That and I don’t like a few aspects of the game itself

1. The Charlie Foxtrot at the beginning = person with the fastest ping wins, a couple people get all the supplies in the middle and probably get a few kills, starting a lot of other people off at a bad disadvantage.

2 = Getting respawned right in front of someone. I usally get respawned right in front of a person with a sword and instagibbed before I can do anything. That happens a few times and hey, now you’re picking up motes.

3. If you happen to be doing fairly well with regards to survival but aren’t the last man standing, your score is probably going to be bad, because when you DO die, there will be no motes for you to collect. The scoring system is just BAD.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

By dying first and doing the ghost thing, even the worst players can achieve around 100 points per game. With this method, you don’t play to win, you play to score points.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: zerospin.8604

zerospin.8604

People always complain. I got this TRIVIAL achievement on the 1st day, without any effort whatsoever. It is extremely hard not to get 50 points at least.

It it were 25000 points, that would be actually pretty hard. But only 2500? Please. It’s the best minigame yet released, more fun to play than anything else in the entire game, the ‘achievement’ is completed far to early, and people still complain? It can be done on the first day!! That’s how easy it is.

I say raise the mark to 25000 (25 thousand). Make it a real achievement for those who like the mini game. Not everyone needs to get it after all.

Or better yet, keep it at 2500 but the counter should only count your points when you stay alive and have > 100 points at the end. That’s how achievements should be.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

my personal top score was 121.

its easy when you know what to do to get points, hint, die as fast as you can.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: cpg.7140

cpg.7140

The scoring system isn’t so much bad, it just reinforces that there’s only one survivor and coming close but failing is still failing (and, on the other hand, the recently deceased can be total jerks? Admittedly not sure what the message is there but it’s a fun mechanic).

Since there’s no achievement or title or anything for actually winning, just marginally better loot, it’s not really worth trying unless you’re dealt an excellent hand in terms of finding rations early on. Just play aggressively, tag as many people as you can, die early after the grace period, collect motes like no other, and apply liberal use of karka as the situation presents itself.

Hobwash
[TAS] – The Asuran Squad
Devona’s Rest

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Orpheus.7284

Orpheus.7284

IMO the game design for SS is a bit flawed.

It rewards people to
1.) hoard tons of rations then just go hide for the next 10 minutes.
2.) be the first to die so they get jump start on revenge motes to start spamming 1 in front of live players to rack up points, often times beating even the winner in terms of points.

The gameplay is fine, but it rewards people for the wrong things.

Suggestions:
1.) Cap ration count. This way most matches will not end in one guy sitting on 10 rations in a boat. Encourages more movements and scavenging, thus more opportunities for the Ghost players.
2.) Reward points to top survivors, not just the winner.
3.) Reward more points for Ghosts’s traps, karka kills…or else everyone’s just going to spam 1 for points. because that’s the most efficient.

Basically, the game atm only rewards THE BEST and THE WORST (either be the last man standing or die fast so you have more motes than everyone else….) That is a flawed system.

(edited by Orpheus.7284)

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I say raise the mark to 25000 (25 thousand).

250 survivors killed (grace kills don’t count). No more ghosting.

Once it’s made permanent, it should be coming with an achievement section for it. That’s where the more time consuming ones go. At 50 points per game, that would require playing it for 6 hours a day over the 2 weeks.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I suppose it never occurred to you that perhaps they did keep the players in mind?
You only NEED 6 achievements for the meta. They added enough achievements for you to get the meta without doing a lot of things you dislike. If you dislike getting 2500 points then that achievement was not added for you, it was added for other people who like Southsun Survival.

What I’m getting from this thread is that you believe that options that you do not enjoy should be removed and only options that you do enjoy should remain. ArenaNet is going in the opposite direction (thankfully) and adding more options for getting the meta which allows players who prefer all types of gameplay to have a better shot at the meta.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Cutthroat Politics

Devildoc.6721

I suppose it never occurred to you that perhaps they did keep the players in mind?
You only NEED 6 achievements for the meta. They added enough achievements for you to get the meta without doing a lot of things you dislike. If you dislike getting 2500 points then that achievement was not added for you, it was added for other people who like Southsun Survival.

What I’m getting from this thread is that you believe that options that you do not enjoy should be removed and only options that you do enjoy should remain. ArenaNet is going in the opposite direction (thankfully) and adding more options for getting the meta which allows players who prefer all types of gameplay to have a better shot at the meta.

All the rest can be completed in far fewer games of their respective minigames. Either the designer just has a huge ego and is pushing players into playing it far more than they normally would want to, or they have no idea what they doing and don’t understand their own scoring system and thought the average player would get triple digits per match. I’ve never seen anyone score triple digits.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

All the rest can be completed in far fewer games of their respective minigames. Either the designer just has a huge ego and is pushing players into playing it far more than they normally would want to, or they have no idea what they doing and don’t understand their own scoring system and thought the average player would get triple digits per match. I’ve never seen anyone score triple digits.

That’s probably because surviving does not reward points. If you want a high score, see one of the many Southsun Survival tips threads (I’ve also already posted a list of tips for getting triple digit scores).

You need to be aggressive early and die as soon as the grace period ends.

While I do agree that the point threshold is higher than the other minigame, it isn’t so large that it would be a burden if you are playing for points.

Just remember that surviving nets you NOTHING pointwise unless you are the last man standing. I do think that when they make the game permanent, they should reward a set amount of points (say 20) to every living player at 1 minute intervals. This would reward survival which the game’s name implies to be important (even though it isn’t).

EDIT: Here’s my tips from the other thread:

Tips for getting high scores without being good at the game:

1. The first 2 minutes allow infinite respawns. Ignore rations and go for weapons/arrows and just KILL players (5 points for a kill and 1 point for each hit). Use weapons or headshots on players who are trying to scavange (and who thus aren’t looking at you).

2. When the grace period ends (or if you can’t find any more weapons/players), make your way down to the ship (the north part of the map) and scavenge a lot (1 point each). Don’t use your rations as you want to die here. Once dead, the motes from your scavenging should still be up, grab them all for 1 point each.

3. Respawning motes appear on the road from the bonfire camp down to the southern camp and over to the broken bridge. If you can’t find a player to haunt, keep moving up and down these roads for the motes for 1 point each.

4. Haunting a player can pay out a lot of points. Use the #1 ability IN FRONT of a player. When they walk into the white ring you will teleport to them and get 2 points. Your other abilities cost more motes and therefore should not be used unless you know you can get a kill with them (i.e. the player you are haunting has low health and NO rations).

Use these tips and you can easily outscore the living players (I know I do frequently) and be done with the achieve in no time.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Strejda Tom.6108

Strejda Tom.6108

People always complain. I got this TRIVIAL achievement on the 1st day, without any effort whatsoever. It is extremely hard not to get 50 points at least.

It it were 25000 points, that would be actually pretty hard. But only 2500? Please. It’s the best minigame yet released, more fun to play than anything else in the entire game, the ‘achievement’ is completed far to early, and people still complain? It can be done on the first day!! That’s how easy it is.

I say raise the mark to 25000 (25 thousand). Make it a real achievement for those who like the mini game. Not everyone needs to get it after all.

Or better yet, keep it at 2500 but the counter should only count your points when you stay alive and have > 100 points at the end. That’s how achievements should be.

I agree with you. After a few games that I used to learn how to do this game I had about 60+- pts per game, 100+ if I won. I watched highscores every game and plenty of ppl had atleast 50 pts.

If you are getting 25 pts per game, you are doing something wrong. Try staying at first camp when the grace buff is up and try to kill everyone and take as many supplies as possible. If you die as first when the grace is off you can easily get to 15 stacks and kill people.

Strejda Tom, the last unicorn.
Always remember one thing – your opinion is your opinion not fact.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Hawks.5736

Hawks.5736

So not all of them are quick and easy to do. Its a good thing you only need like 6 for the meta and are in no way forced to do achievements you dont want to do.

If the devs who made S/S had some kind of massive ego complex then there wouldnt be just one, tiny, unnecessary achievement – the whole meta would be disgustingly grindy(which it is not).

Dexson

(edited by Hawks.5736)

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: arabeth.2361

arabeth.2361

How long are most games? (I’ve never played it.) If they are typically 10 minutes and you can score ~100 points a game, that’s still over 4 hours of constant game time. If you get closer to 50 points a game, like apparently anyone who hasn’t gone online and read the tip that you actually want to NOT try to win in order to do well (which is completely counter-intuitive), that’s over 8 hours. Even 4 hours is actually somewhat high compared to other minigame-based achievements. Even the forever-taking sprinting minigame from the last release took about 3.5 hours.

I don’t think the developers have “huge egos” or something, or they are begging people to do their content. I think they just picked a big number and didn’t stop to think about how long that could actually take someone to achieve. Or they did stop to think about it, but they figured 3-4 hours of grinding a minigame is ok for an achievement, and didn’t figure that most people would take much longer. Or they also think ~8 hours of grinding is also ok. To be fair: none of these options are that much better.

Like others have said, you can probably knock out nearly every other achievement for the meta in the time it would take you to get this one. I’d avoid it, same as all other “grind this minigame over and over way past the point where you hate it” achievements.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I certainly don’t agree with that.

I played this game for a couple hours this morning to at least get the Headshot / Games Played achieves (those 2 got me my meta, not going to bother with the points one because I seriously do not enjoy this game at all) and I NEVER got more than 50 points. Not once. My highest was 43, and the vast majority of the time I was getting 15-25. My grand total after around 2 and a half hours of playing was 554.

Of course, I was actually trying to survive (ya know, like the game tells you to… sure, killing is part of the game but not the focus) and not just go all Rambo on everyone / die ASAP, because I hadn’t read any of the “tips” threads on the forum. Having now read this thread, I could probably go in and get 50 points game just fine.

But I shouldn’t need to read tips and do the exact opposite of the logic of the game to get a decent score. And even with a 50+ score every game, its still going to take hours and hours to get that achieve done.

If this game were permanent, then I’d say the points achieve was completely reasonable. Heck, probably too low. But for something that’s only available for 2 weeks, having to devote hours on end (and that’s if you’re using the tricks, if you’re playing normally its going to take twice as long) is a bit much. IMO, anyway.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Lost in Hyrule.2963

Lost in Hyrule.2963

Tips for getting high scores without being good at the game:

1. The first 2 minutes allow infinite respawns. Ignore rations and go for weapons/arrows and just KILL players (5 points for a kill and 1 point for each hit). Use weapons or headshots on players who are trying to scavange (and who thus aren’t looking at you).

2. When the grace period ends (or if you can’t find any more weapons/players), make your way down to the ship (the north part of the map) and scavenge a lot (1 point each). Don’t use your rations as you want to die here. Once dead, the motes from your scavenging should still be up, grab them all for 1 point each.

3. Respawning motes appear on the road from the bonfire camp down to the southern camp and over to the broken bridge. If you can’t find a player to haunt, keep moving up and down these roads for the motes for 1 point each.

4. Haunting a player can pay out a lot of points. Use the #1 ability IN FRONT of a player. When they walk into the white ring you will teleport to them and get 2 points. Your other abilities cost more motes and therefore should not be used unless you know you can get a kill with them (i.e. the player you are haunting has low health and NO rations).

Use these tips and you can easily outscore the living players (I know I do frequently) and be done with the achieve in no time.

Went looking for those, so thanks for posting them! That should help me get done before vacation this week!

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Game time is about 6 minutes. Won’t repeat what I said in the other thread. Total possible is 15 minutes, but it doesn’t last that long. I’ve seen games end at the 11 minute mark, and others that go down to the 5 minute mark. But on average, it ends at the 9 minute mark. At 62.5 points a game, it’s 40 games… or 240 minutes, or 4 hours. If you’re really bad it goes up to 8 hours, and if you’re really good it may be as short as 2.5-3 hours.

This may be long, but it doesn’t in any way compare to the ridiculousness of max-tiered WvWvW achievements. Though granted, those aren’t limited-period only things.

(edited by Hayashi.3416)