Anybody able to access the EotM map?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

I think its time for a public test server instead of some exclusive test just for certain guilds.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: FreekPalmer.2839

FreekPalmer.2839

Let’s be honest, this is a small issue. Nobody can plan for something like this.

I have yet to see anyone successful role out content without any bugs.

The Other MMO that really big one that has been around years still has issues rolling out patches and they test for months.

Give Anet some credit they are giving your free updates, every couple of weeks, with great content (not always to everyones taste, but you can’t please everyone) and they are doing it on limited time.

We shouldn’t be complaining we should be thanking them for their hard work. So what if you can’t play instantly on release day, they don’t want to make you wait, they want you to enjoy their hard work. This is their master piece and I for one and very grateful for all their hard work.

So they can take all the time they need to get this fixed, I am happy to wait a couple of days and enjoy some of the other FREE content they added this year.

Zipp Tinker
https://www.youtube.com/zipptinker
For my latest Videos and Builds

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I think its time for a public test server instead of some exclusive test just for certain guilds.

This wouldnt prevent that at all. It is a DoS issue. the only way to predict it is to see that the two hour maintanance was a bad idea.

To see potential DoS issues you need millions of testers.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Sakri.7234

Sakri.7234

As a fan of the game, anet owes me quality service, and this is not it. Fortunately I don’t have to wait long for The Elder Scrolls Online now…

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Dudley Sockpuppet.6179

Dudley Sockpuppet.6179

I thought Electronic Arts roll-outs sucked.
Just send me an e-mail if you ever get this game fixed.
In the mean-time I’ll be gearing-up for the Titanfall roll-out.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Drakma.1549

Drakma.1549

Wow, so much QQ.

Go outside people.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Steel Fenrir.2791

Steel Fenrir.2791

While doing the marionette event, players across worlds experienced some massive lag and disconnections, hours before the Edge of the Mists. Was that a test run for a DoS attack, or was that from Anet’s side?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I would love to see all the solutions people have to DDoS attacks, because that is basically what is happening right now.

Please, give me the code/service/whatever that makes a server completely fool-proof from this kind of thing. After you have done that you can whine all you want, but before that I would suggest keeping quiet, since you clearly don’t have a clue about the issues at hand.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: FreekPalmer.2839

FreekPalmer.2839

As a fan of the game, anet owes me quality service, and this is not it. Fortunately I don’t have to wait long for The Elder Scrolls Online now…

That’s a weird concept right there.

I am a fan of Lot’s of things. I don’t expect my favourite band to play at my birthday….

Zipp Tinker
https://www.youtube.com/zipptinker
For my latest Videos and Builds

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

What annoys me is the error message. I have gotten these messages (usually on patch day) since launch and it has NEVER been my firewall, router settings or security program.

I have to agree, the error messages within this game are never right, they always point out the error being something that’s the players fault and they’re pretty much always server hardware related and has been that way since BETA. The error messages need some changing because at the moment they just lie.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: inazuma.7021

inazuma.7021

Wow, so much QQ.

Go outside people.

Yeah, go outside into the snowstorms, Most of America!

Vhaewyn – Level 80 Sylvari Ranger
Dakka Warforge- Level 80 Charr Engineer
Xairro – Level 80 Asura Revenant

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: inazuma.7021

inazuma.7021

I am a fan of Lot’s of things. I don’t expect my favourite band to play at my birthday….

It’s called sense of entitlement.

Vhaewyn – Level 80 Sylvari Ranger
Dakka Warforge- Level 80 Charr Engineer
Xairro – Level 80 Asura Revenant

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Tyzzen.8964

Tyzzen.8964

Still not working

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Savoy.6824

Savoy.6824

So for us Americans about to get off work, should we not try to go in when we get home? Will it crash our game and make it impossible to log back into that character?

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once – Nietzsche

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

Wow, so much QQ.

Go outside people.

Yeah, go outside into the snowstorms, Most of America!

This, this is just great. cuz tomorrow is supposed to be hell in ice form. oh man. thank you.
But yeah, you would think they could simulate this kind of thing, especially if fire elementals count as a sixth player in a dungeon, that there would be a dev command to summon just npc things. unless i"m out of line with what the actual problem is, which is very likely as I just skimmed

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Dengar.1785

Dengar.1785

I find some people in this topic hilarious tbh. Especially the ones who say they “haven’t tested their content properly”, or that “the content is broken”.

How can people even tell that the content is broken when they haven’t even gotten a chance to LOOK at the content yet?

The problem isn’t with the content, and before you go in that direction, the problem isn’t the server either. To account for the thing that broke everything you’d need a server of godlike specs. No I mean literally godlike.

The only actual mistake Anet (as well as many other online game developers) made is creating these bottlenecks where thousands of people are trying to access the same content at the same time.

(edited by Dengar.1785)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Wow, so much QQ.

Go outside people.

Well the graphics are great and there’s no lag.
However as I check my inventory I realize I can’t hold as much compared to my GW2 character and he’s way richer than I.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: galen ubal.2807

galen ubal.2807

Seems okay for everything but the Edge of the Mists map

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Sakri.7234

Sakri.7234

Well, without fans, they’d be out of business, so they should be careful with how much they test our nerves.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

So normally in these situations people blame Anet for not testing their releases.

This one was tested, does that mean we shift the blame to the players who tested it? lol

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in The Edge of the Mists

Danikat.8537

Well, without fans, they’d be out of business, so they should be careful with how much they test our nerves.

The problem is from the vast majority of people comments like that are an empty threat. They’re not going anywhere, they’re not even going to pretend to quit (or even stop buying gems).

It’s like all the people who tell shops they’re never going to buy anything there ever again. Most of them will be back in there the next week, quite likely making the same ridiculous demands and trying to back it up with the same empty threat.

(And actually when I worked in retail the record for my store was someone who came back an hour later and spent almost £200 like nothing had ever happened.)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Killdeer.7391

Killdeer.7391

How about an update here from Arena Net. EotM is huge failure if we can not get in. Somebody in the Know please share information or at least give a real idea of how long we have to wait. Two hours was hours ago.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Being forced to pay full price for the box, $15 per month, a cash shop and paygates for an extra race and ‘free’ mount (Imperial edition)? Have fun with that.

Now if ESO would have launched as a B2P game like GW2, you could have had a point.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

(edited by Aveneo.2068)

in The Edge of the Mists

Dudley Sockpuppet.6179

This is an issue of population and overcrowding

This is an issue of poor engineering, infrastructure management and myopia.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

It’s still not working, so i just logged out instead. :/

in The Edge of the Mists

lordkrall.7241

How about an update here from Arena Net. EotM is huge failure if we can not get in. Somebody in the Know please share information or at least give a real idea of how long we have to wait. Two hours was hours ago.

What can they say that they haven’t already said?
They are working on it and trying to fix it as fast as possible.
Until we hear something else that is what is going on.

This is an issue of poor engineering, infrastructure management and myopia.

No matter how powerful infrastructure or how skilled engineering you have it is 100% impossible to be completely safe from DDoS, and this is basically a DDoS.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in The Edge of the Mists

Dudley Sockpuppet.6179

This is basically a DDoS.

From where did this information come?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

It’s not a DDoS if you approximately know how many people are going to connect and you can prepare your infrastructures for it. Anet’s people know how many accounts they have. They most likely have statistics about how many people connect every day of the week, including patch day.

I’m not saying kitten can’t happen (like somebody tripping on a cable) but to me it seems they weren’t prepared.

in The Edge of the Mists

lordkrall.7241

What is happening is a massive amounts of people trying to connect at the exact same time. Which is more or less exactly what a DDoS attack is all about.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in The Edge of the Mists

Danikat.8537

“A Distributed Denial of Service Attack (DDoS) occurs when multiple systems flood the bandwidth or resources of a targeted system, usually one or more web servers.”

Calling it a DDoS just means it’s not working because so many people tried to load into the map at the same time that it crashed. Same thing that happens when MMOs are first released.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

It was made up. The game is doing well, but lets be honest, it isn’t doing that well… It wasn’t even prime time when the crash happened. If it can’t handle mid morning/early afternoon in the US, how is it ever going to handle prime time?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Kurr.4179

Kurr.4179

It was made up. The game is doing well, but lets be honest, it isn’t doing that well… It wasn’t even prime time when the crash happened. If it can’t handle mid morning/early afternoon in the US, how is it ever going to handle prime time?

I don’t know but about 6.5 hours later we still don’t have access to it… I get the 2 hour maintenance (I mean, I don’t think it was a good idea to do it then but what do I know) but this is kind of frustrating.

If it’s because too many overflows were created at once, just until EotM gets off it’s feet put in a queue and limit the amount of people that get in per minute until it’s stabilized and then remove the queue.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Zaraki.5784

Zaraki.5784

Epic fail…nobody is able to enter the new map -.-’

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Y´all chill out and farm some silk…

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Buffy.9246

Buffy.9246

The point being they didn’t count for how many people was gonna go in it. They allowed certain guilds to enter with no lag what so ever. That was the mistake. Anet should have seen this coming instead of doing it wrong like they tend to do.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Arkvan.3561

Arkvan.3561

Eh, if any of the Anet employees are reading this; chin up. I’m sure EotM will look freaking amazing once it’s up and running. I’m really looking forward to seeing all the new goodies (and the trailer really got me going!). Besides, there are tons of people trying to get in, lots of traffic, and there are always bumps in the road. I’ll check back in tomorrow – I’m sure it’ll be awesome.

And to the other people out there: there’s more in the world than GW2. Watch a movie, go sleep, build a snowman, spend some time with friends. S’not the end of the world.

No one hears you.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Next

Just popping in to let y’all know we haven’t forgotten about you. The team is still hard at work fixing this problem. Again, sorry for any disruptions in your plans to play the new content today.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Thorquist.8126

Thorquist.8126

Just popping in to let y’all know we haven’t forgotten about you. The team is still hard at work fixing this problem. Again, sorry for any disruptions in your plans to play the new content today.

Actually, Europeans wanted to play it yesterday.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Seriously, how much time had all these guilds to test this stuff out …??

And this is the result?

What the hell have these people done in all of the frickign time at all? Have they made a winter’s sleep or what!!?

Seriously, will we ever see one single patch here in this game, that doesn’t become a total chaos at Patch Day, but just for once works from the begin on, like intended??

Haven’t seen yet one single patch, where not tons of new bugs happen right at the start and where Hotfixes must be made just to get the game running like it was supposed to work, where you have to ask yourself just:

Why hasn’t this been tested out enough before of the implementation.
I know GW1 wasn’t surely the absolute best at Patch Performance sometimes, but the Quality Management was undoubtfully alot better in GW1, than it is so far here sadly.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: PVStar.3658

PVStar.3658

Let’s be honest, this is a small issue. Nobody can plan for something like this.

I have yet to see anyone successful role out content without any bugs.

The Other MMO that really big one that has been around years still has issues rolling out patches and they test for months.

Give Anet some credit they are giving your free updates, every couple of weeks, with great content (not always to everyones taste, but you can’t please everyone) and they are doing it on limited time.

We shouldn’t be complaining we should be thanking them for their hard work. So what if you can’t play instantly on release day, they don’t want to make you wait, they want you to enjoy their hard work. This is their master piece and I for one and very grateful for all their hard work.

So they can take all the time they need to get this fixed, I am happy to wait a couple of days and enjoy some of the other FREE content they added this year.

People like you are the reason that game developers consistently get away with stuff like this. Carry on.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

Well, take your time. I am going to go to bed now anyway. Seriously, thanks for letting us know and good luck with fixing it.

in The Edge of the Mists

lordkrall.7241

And how would you suggest that they test things like these?
The issues turned up because a massive amount of people tried to connect at the same time.
You can never simulate that with testing.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

The issues turned up because a massive amount of people tried to connect at the same time.

PTR

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in The Edge of the Mists

lordkrall.7241

PTR

Unless the PTRs are exactly as many as the real servers and have the same amount of players (they never will) PTRs can’t do kitten about making something “DDoS-proof”.

PTR can find bugs and stuff (but most of the time don’t, since the majority simply play on them in order to see content earlier than others, rather than wanting to test), but that is not the issue here.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

kitten. happens. Deal with it :p

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: jakalofnaar.1702

jakalofnaar.1702

This is not entirely true, and is why a lot of MMO’s provide a PTS. Even using tools which simulate large volumes of players wouldn’t find a lot of the bugs IRL players have been finding.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Sages.3496

Sages.3496

Everyone stop raging about The Edge of the Mists map being down, you dont know how hard anet is truely working on it and should give them credit for even trying. they do not have to do so at all. it will be up when it is up, stop crying about it.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Killdeer.7391

Killdeer.7391

Denial of Service is when there a planned attack to prevent a web site from working. If Denial of Service is what is going on, please who planned it? All I asked for was somebody from Anet to give a realistic time frame for access. I understand there are issues going on. However a post three days ago is not an update. When it was released today. Am humbling waiting to see when I can get in and check out EotM

edited to Add, Thank you Mark for at least popping in. it is appreciated when somebody at least take the time to give something.

(edited by Killdeer.7391)

in The Edge of the Mists

lordkrall.7241

Denial of Service is when there a planned attack to prevent a web site from working. If Denial of Service is what is going on, please who planned it? All I asked for was somebody from Anet to give a realistic time frame for access. I understand there are issues going on. However a post three days ago is not an update. When it was released today. Am humbling waiting to see when I can get in and check out EotM

No one have claimed that it is a Denial of Service attack. Only that it is basically working the same way as one.

They can’t give a timeframe since they don’t know.
If they knew, they would have told us. And if they give a time-frame now and they don’t manage to fix it within that time all hell will break loose.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: UltraHiDef.4809

UltraHiDef.4809

As much as this is frustrating, I gotta thank Mark Katzbach for giving a kitten about us, and keeping us aware, that ANet isn’t ignoring this issue, and that it’s as much of a huge deal to them as it is to us.
Thank you, for making us feel appreciated. <3